Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Cool Ghost posted:

I don't have anything near 100 Sleep spells, and I'm not sitting around to draw them from Grats, so that's out, and once you're able to refine status magic, you can get Break with no effort because you can buy Softs.

I'm not saying you have to do it, I'm just saying it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

Later on, there's even an option to just move junctions over from one party member to another without having to do any of the other menu work. It's great.

This is actually available from the get-go. It's in the same part of the menu as you use to switch characters in and out of the party, so it's totally understandable that you wouldn't go loving around in there until you get to the point in the plot where you'd be able to do that part, but the junction exchange system is always available. The party member switching is of course grayed out until it's available.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Have you ever wondered why you can name Squall but nobody else? This is why.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

I really appreciate the Blind Gunswordsman Zatoichi here. The closed eyes are probably from focussing before Renzokuken, but with 255% Hit, the blind status literally only helps him fight better, because this is a mechanic that makes sense. :D

Also, I'm pretty sure that if you hit something with a 100% Sleep ST-J physical attack, you'd just wake it up and immediately put it back to sleep, so Quistis's advice isn't that bad.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Refining the 80 Wizard Stones into Curagas is kind of a waste since you can already buy Tents which convert straight up into Curagas. Since there's literally nothing else worth spending money on at this point, there's no reason whatsoever not to blow all your money on tents every single time.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

MagusofStars posted:

Refining the 80 Wizard Stones into Curagas is kind of a waste since you can already buy Tents which convert straight up into Curagas. Since there's literally nothing else worth spending money on at this point, there's no reason whatsoever not to blow all your money on tents every single time.
Cool Ghost: "I won't buy Tents to make infinite Curagas and break the game really easily."

*breaks game in one of the 1887348623 other really obvious ways*

This is not meant as critique, except towards the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fister Roboto posted:

Have you ever wondered why you can name Squall but nobody else? This is why.

Please rename "Squall" to "Squally".

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

MagusofStars posted:

Notice he has 100 Tornado spells in inventory. Junctioned to HP, that would be +3000 HP as opposed to the +2200 that 100 Curagas would give (Tornado is +30HP per spell as opposed to +22 for Curaga), and Tornado is a little more than twice as effective a junction for STR and MAG. In fact, Tornado's a much better spell for everything except SPR.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

MagusofStars posted:

Why buy the Tents when you can get the Curagas for free?

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Cool Ghost posted:

I dunno,

Cool Ghost posted:

Curaga is a great, easy-to-get HP junction early in the game (100 Curagas add 2,200 to HP) and it's honestly not a terrible idea to sink a bunch of gil into Tents for it.

But you seem to, so let me ask you, why is it not a terrible idea to sink a bunch of gil into Tents for Curaga, if you can get them for free?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, like he said there's not really much else to spend money on at this point, and there are a lot better spells that you can refine from wizard stones that you can't get through money.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Gim52a posted:

I dunno,

But you seem to, so let me ask you, why is it not a terrible idea to sink a bunch of gil into Tents for Curaga, if you can get them for free?

You can buy Tents infinitely, which means that it takes basically zero effort to get 100 Curagas for everyone, or to fill in what you don't get from the Wizard Stones. The Wizard Stones can also be used for other things, if that's how you want to play it. Buying Tents isn't a terrible idea, and like MagusofStars pointed out, there's not a lot else that it's important to buy, but I decided to take the free Curagas.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's not like it matters that much. This game is trivially easy to break if you know what you're doing.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
That's also true - if I really wanted to, I could play cards for 10 hours and get the (edit: second-)best HP junction in the game for everyone.

Cool Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 22, 2014

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Cool Ghost posted:

like MagusofStars pointed out

Yes, this is what I was trying to get at. Both MagusofStars and you yourself pointed out good reasons to buy tents, but you quoted MagusofStars' post that had a reason for buying tents in it, and responded with

Cool Ghost posted:

to the very same post that you now reference when I asked you to answer this very question. It just annoyed me, that's all. I have no problems whatsoever with you not wanting to do it in the LP, it's all good by me. And I'll shut up about this now.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

SHIN HADOKEN RENZOKUKAN!

Alright, I'm done for the day.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Aithon posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure that if you hit something with a 100% Sleep ST-J physical attack, you'd just wake it up and immediately put it back to sleep, so Quistis's advice isn't that bad.

Along with the 100% ST-Atk, assuming ((your Str) - (its Vit)) / 4 is greater than or equal to its sleep resistance (e.g. a 0-point advantage if it has 0% resist, an 80-point advantage if it has 20% resist), then yes, that would work.

e: T-Rexaurs have 50% sleep resist. You'd need a 200-point advantage to drop that to 0%. Otherwise it might sometimes wake up. Handily, their Vit is thoroughly pathetic (it's like 18 at level 100, and less at lower levels).

Vil fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 22, 2014

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Simply Simon posted:

Cool Ghost: "I won't buy Tents to make infinite Curagas and break the game really easily."

*breaks game in one of the 1887348623 other really obvious ways*

This is not meant as critique, except towards the game.

How broken can you make this game? I just one shot Ifrit, at level 7.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Silegna posted:

How broken can you make this game? I just one shot Ifrit, at level 7.

yeah, now imagine doing that to the final boss at level 8.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've never been able to figure out how this game is "meant" to be played.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Ignore levels and junction/transmute spells is what I've gathered.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I *think* the way the developers probably intended you to play through the game would go something like this:
1.) You don't really intentionally avoid battles/experience (via Card, running away, or reduced enemy frequency abilities) BUT you also never intentionally go out of your way to get into battles or grind XP. So you gain levels at a fairly consistent pace throughout the game.
2.) You gain most of your magic through Draw. Since you're leveling fairly slowly and some of the best spells aren't available from early game enemies regardless of level, this puts a bit of a cap on the kind of junctions you have available until the mid-game.
3.) You use refining abilities minimally to supplement your available magic/junctions, but without intentionally grinding for specific items - maybe you have a few Fish Fins to turn into Water from random battles, but you're not grinding out multiple battles to load up on them to get 300 Waters; as mentioned in (2), you're getting most of your magic from Draw.
4.) You don't go out of your way to do Card battles or use Card Mod. Maybe you refine a few cards here and there, but you're not intentionally hunting down the really game-breaking moddable ones.
5.) You actually use magic on a semi-regular basis - so while you might have a little bit of powerful magic early on (see point 3), the few way-too-early Curagas or whatever you picked up are getting used up rather than permanently being junctioned and making you wildly overpowered.

That's the best I can figure. Following all of this would probably produce a difficulty curve that increases gradually as you go along. You wouldn't have brokenly powerful things early on since you're not abusing refining or Card Mod; by the time you naturally get the great junctions, the enemies would have leveled up enough that they'd no longer be game-breakingly powerful.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

I *think* the way the developers probably intended you to play through the game would go something like this:
1.) You don't really intentionally avoid battles/experience (via Card, running away, or reduced enemy frequency abilities) BUT you also never intentionally go out of your way to get into battles or grind XP. So you gain levels at a fairly consistent pace throughout the game.
2.) You gain most of your magic through Draw. Since you're leveling fairly slowly and some of the best spells aren't available from early game enemies regardless of level, this puts a bit of a cap on the kind of junctions you have available until the mid-game.
3.) You use refining abilities minimally to supplement your available magic/junctions, but without intentionally grinding for specific items - maybe you have a few Fish Fins to turn into Water from random battles, but you're not grinding out multiple battles to load up on them to get 300 Waters; as mentioned in (2), you're getting most of your magic from Draw.
4.) You don't go out of your way to do Card battles or use Card Mod. Maybe you refine a few cards here and there, but you're not intentionally hunting down the really game-breaking moddable ones.
5.) You actually use magic on a semi-regular basis - so while you might have a little bit of powerful magic early on (see point 3), the few way-too-early Curagas or whatever you picked up are getting used up rather than permanently being junctioned and making you wildly overpowered.

That's the best I can figure. Following all of this would probably produce a difficulty curve that increases gradually as you go along. You wouldn't have brokenly powerful things early on since you're not abusing refining or Card Mod; by the time you naturally get the great junctions, the enemies would have leveled up enough that they'd no longer be game-breakingly powerful.

I did this, ended up being level 35 before beating the game.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is it. This is pretty much how I played it, and I didn't break anything. I had no idea it was possible to break the game so easily.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Fister Roboto posted:

Step 1: buy Brady Games guide
Step 2: follow it religiously
Step 3: never actually learn how the game works

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, when played like that it's an alright/well-balanced game. I forget, if you let the GF auto-pick what ability they learned every time, how far down the list were the refinement abilities anyway? I'd say their location there would, more than anything, say how they imagined the average person would/should play the game.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Decus posted:

Yeah, when played like that it's an alright/well-balanced game. I forget, if you let the GF auto-pick what ability they learned every time, how far down the list were the refinement abilities anyway? I'd say their location there would, more than anything, say how they imagined the average person would/should play the game.

I'm pretty sure the default abilities for GFs to learn are dumb things like SumMag+10/20/30%. If you don't set them to the useful stuff, it will take you forever.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Decus posted:

TL;DR version:

morallyobjected posted:

I'm pretty sure the default abilities for GFs to learn are dumb things like SumMag+10/20/30%. If you don't set them to the useful stuff, it will take you forever.

Long version:

Somewhat far down. More glaringly dumb is the position of the basic stat junctions in the priority list. For the GFs we've got so far, it goes like this - numbers in parentheses are net AP needed to get there if you let the GF do what it wants.

Quetzalcoatl: (pre-learned: Mag-J, basic commands)
SumMag +10% (40)
SumMag +20% (110)
SumMag +30% (250)
GFHP +10% (290)
GFHP +20% (360)
Boost (370)
T Mag-RF (400)
Mid Mag-RF (460)
HP-J (510)
Mag +20% (570)
Mag +40% (690)
Elem-Atk-J (850)
Vit-J (900)
Elem-Def-J (1000)
Elem-Def-x2 (1130)
Card (1170)
Card Mod (1250)

Shiva: (pre-learned: Spr-J, basic commands)
SumMag +10% (40)
SumMag +20% (110)
SumMag +30% (250)
GFHP +10% (290)
GFHP +20% (360)
Boost (370)
I Mag-RF (400)
Vit-J (450)
Vit +20% (510)
Vit +40% (630)
Spr +20% (690)
Spr +40% (810)
Elem-Def-J (910)
Elem-Def-x2 (1040)
Str-J (1090)
Elem-Atk-J (1250)
Doom (1310)

Ifrit: (pre-learned: Str-J, Elem-Atk-J, basic commands)
SumMag +10% (40)
SumMag +20% (110)
SumMag +30% (250)
GFHP +10% (290)
GFHP +20% (360)
GFHP +30% (500)
Boost (510)
F Mag-RF (540)
Ammo-RF (570)
Str +20% (630)
Str +40% (750)
Str Bonus (850)
HP-J (900)
Elem-Def-J (1000)
Elem-Def-x2 (1130)
Mad Rush (1190)

Siren: (pre-learned: Mag-J, ST-Atk-J, ST-Def-J, basic commands)
GFHP +10% (40)
GFHP +20% (110)
Tool-RF (140)
SumMag +10% (180)
SumMag +20% (250)
SumMag +30% (390)
Boost (400)
L Mag-RF (430)
ST Med-RF (460)
Mag +20% (520)
Mag +40% (640)
Mag Bonus (740)
ST-Def-x2 (870)
Treatment (970)
Move-Find (1010)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the first time I played this game I thought summons were cool, had no idea you could reorder the way they learned abilities, avoided the card game, had no idea Card could let you refine stuff into high tier magic, did a lot of drawing ... basically if you don't think about the system beyond the tutorials provided, you're playing it "as intended" but as we have all seen, there's nothing stopping you from turning yourself into a powerhouse from minute five.

Junctions and the way they work could be cool, but if the developers wanted it to be balanced ... I don't even know. Level gating some stuff, I guess? But then that just rewards early grind for xp instead of early grind for Curagas.

I dunno, I'm not sure any system like Junction could be "saved" per se without making it incredibly frustrating once you DID know how it worked.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
This thread is tempting me to play the game again. I think the plot and characters are irredeemably botched, but there's something so appealing about such a breakable system. I just need to hold out until we get updates about spreading/not spreading the loving card game rules, and I'm sure I'll be cured of any desire to go through that.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Psion posted:

I dunno, I'm not sure any system like Junction could be "saved" per se without making it incredibly frustrating once you DID know how it worked.

Maybe making it skill-based instead of number-based? Like in Transistor you can toss your dodge skill on your passive slot and your character becomes overall faster, or upgrade your attack with a stun skill to make it stun enemies for a while. It could end up like equipment upgrading in FFX, only with less tedium because magic is everywhere.

Transistor was also highly breakable, but it was at least interesting to break, because it was more about mixing skill concepts together than about getting the highest bonus to your damage dealing stat.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Psion posted:

Junctions and the way they work could be cool, but if the developers wanted it to be balanced ... I don't even know. Level gating some stuff, I guess? But then that just rewards early grind for xp instead of early grind for Curagas.

I think it would be better if junctions were tied directly to the GFs, so each GF would improve each stat by a certain amount per GF level. Make the gains for each individual GF small and the way they're spread out would gate it semi-naturally. You could still grind your GFs, but it would be like grinding in any other game, basically. Other than that, you could gate off cards better (like, say, have people in Balamb in disc one only play level 1-2 cards), which would shut down some major exploits, and put some level ceilings on enemies based on area; you could set it up so that enemies in Balamb and the SeeD exam cap out at level 10 or something, so you can't draw high-level spells off of them.

That's a lot of words to say it would take a major overhaul, I guess.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Does it really need that much of an overhaul?

I mean, sure it's easily breakable, but is that such a bad thing? Nothing is forcing you to break the game over your knee. Lots of folks in this very thread played it without breaking it at all! (I didn't.) Yet the option is there for folks who really learned the Junction system and went out of their way to find stuff.

I think that's an ideal system. It's there, but it's not mandatory.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My dream rehaul for FF8 would have each character learn abilities by level-up (so a magically oriented character like Selphie might learn Blizzaga), similar to FF4, and each GF would bestow a base set of abilities when junctioned, and additional unique abilities pertaining to that character/GF combination as they level up. Even possibly have skills unlocked only with a specific set of GFs equippied (like Shiva + Ifrit on Zell). GFs would provide some useful stat boosts, but nothing gamebreaking, and magic would either be less powerful in boosting stats or made more necessary to be used in combat.

Would require heavy system overhauls, but a man can dream. I still like the FF8 system, but I won't deny it's easy to break it if you want to.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Psion posted:

Junctions and the way they work could be cool, but if the developers wanted it to be balanced ... I don't even know. Level gating some stuff, I guess? But then that just rewards early grind for xp instead of early grind for Curagas

But they do level gate stuff already, that's the thing! They were so close to having that system in place but ultimately all they did was lock two refinements behind GF Level 100 and call it a day.

Ultimately I just think FF games without the Job System are ultimately worse than ones with it.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

But they do level gate stuff already, that's the thing! They were so close to having that system in place but ultimately all they did was lock two refinements behind GF Level 100 and call it a day.

Ultimately I just think FF games without the Job System are ultimately worse than ones with it.

The PC version lacks those level 100 limits.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I was a dumb and stubborn kid, and manually drew 100 of every spell, three times. And I still managed to break the game with other means.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Drawing 100 spells isn't that painful as long as you junction your magic stat up first.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Does it really need that much of an overhaul?

I mean, sure it's easily breakable, but is that such a bad thing? Nothing is forcing you to break the game over your knee. Lots of folks in this very thread played it without breaking it at all! (I didn't.) Yet the option is there for folks who really learned the Junction system and went out of their way to find stuff.

I think that's an ideal system. It's there, but it's not mandatory.

Most of the problem I have with the system is there's no relateable context for it. It's not something that makes any kind of sense at face value. What does it mean to draw and stock magic? Where am I storing these spells? In my pockets? On a magic scroll? In my BRAIN?? How does junctioning actually work? Why does junctioning fire make me stronger? How am I converting animals into cards, cards into physical objects, and those into spells? It's all just so abstract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
This LP is definitely better than playing the game again.

It's an old game and all but I wish people weren't so quick to leap in with "I'm going to write up a play-by-play of [thing] soon!" when the OP hasn't had a chance to touch on [thing]

• Locked thread