Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So uhhhhh.....what exactly am I supposed to be looking forward to next season after that finale?

Help extract Quinn from Syria/ Iraq because something something about open end mission and having to extract themselves out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Stikkum posted:

Carrie's kid is loving creepy.
It's hard to get past.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
What a poo poo ending.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

That was bad, wow.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Goddamn this loving show. Ugh.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Is Carrie just Dana now

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Well that was disappointing. I thought at least the ugly loving baby was going to get stolen by terrorists or something else more predictable but less awful.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Noirex posted:

Is Carrie going on another rampage to save her kind of boyfriend again?

This seems to sum up the extent of the series' aspirations when it comes to plot development :(

Which is a shame, there seemed to be so many opportunities for Homeland to be a federal version of The Wire. roll up Lockhart's political compromises, diplomatic concessions, military involvement and the quasi-governmental agencies/contractors Saul worked for all into 5th or 6th season bureaucratic quicksand. And it would have been *fantastic* to follow along with Carrie as she works her way up the intelligence ladder.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Godinster posted:

Well that was disappointing. I thought at least the ugly loving baby was going to get stolen by terrorists or something else more predictable but less awful.

There was moments where it felt like shits was about to hit the fan. I thought Quinns was going to get shot. I thought Quinn and Carrie's sister had an upsetting conversation that would make the sister take the baby away, all just because of the weird look the sister gave to Carries and how the whole scene was shot. And why the gently caress Quinn went on a mission again? He couldn't just wait? Since when did he changed his phone number all of a sudden? He didnt do it when he backed out of Pakistan and then went with the decision to go to Pakistan. I don't loving know.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
That episode would have been better if Quinn left the CIA to become a lumberjack.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I really didn't mind the Brody family drama but the Carrie family drama is really something we could do without, especially in a season finale.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I thought every scene Quinn was in, he was going to get killed. I don't get Dar Adal's play or motive here. What does he get out of all this?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I'm actually surprised at how dull of a finale that was after this season struggled to attain something close to good. What were they thinking?

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

Hand of the King posted:

I thought every scene Quinn was in, he was going to get killed. I don't get Dar Adal's play or motive here. What does he get out of all this?

He could get a sympathetic CIA director since he knew Lockhart was finished? That's the best I could come up with.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
He still has political pull with Saul.

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

What a wet fart of an episode.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Hand of the King posted:

Yeah I kinda expected his car to explode as he drove away from Carrie.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
To everyone still defending it after 5 episodes of Carrie makes insanely poor decisions and using her magical vagina, saying "This show is good because it's a slow burn and not 24-esque" only works when the show doesn't bank its entire plot on "shock" moments and then repeatedly poo poo the bed.

There was serious potential and promise, but in the end it just comes down to the writers contriving whatever moronic situation they feel like to resolve their dangling plot threads without any regard for it making sense or crafting a coherent tale. It's basically "We wrote ourselves into a corner, how do we get out...SHOCKING DAR ADAL APPEARANCE!"

Brody's cameo was literally the best thing the show did the entire season, because for a brief moment it honestly seemed like he could be alive. That more or less sums up this season, a collection of fantastic scenes they knew they wanted to film and then half-assed the writing to make those scenes happen.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hand of the King posted:

I thought every scene Quinn was in, he was going to get killed.
Seriously this.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Haven't seen this show since Season 2 and was looking for a new show to binge through. Has it gone downhill like SOA and Dexter?

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

Chromatic posted:

Haven't seen this show since Season 2 and was looking for a new show to binge through. Has it gone downhill like SOA and Dexter?

I really like it, I think you'll have a good time watching it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Ok. Finished the episode. I'm utterly disappointed. After a pretty fantastic season this is just bad.

Chromatic posted:

It's good but could be better than it is. This latest season, finale aside, has been fantastic.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

pentyne posted:

Brody's cameo was literally the best thing the show did the entire season, because for a brief moment it honestly seemed like he could be alive.

It only seemed like he could be alive because we had no faith in the writing team to deliver a solid story without having to resurrect the main character from the one good season. I remember yelling "Oh, you sons of bitches. Seriously??" when Brody showed up, because I would believe it of this show to go ahead and reverse such an obvious character death because they don't know what else to do. Because of that, the reveal that it was a hallucination was a good scene, but in a more competently done show, that wouldn't have had nearly the same impact because OBVIOUSLY it wasn't Brody, she saw him hanged.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Chromatic posted:

It was a pretty good season with a weak season finale. Definitely not SOA or Dexter tier, maybe in a couple more seasons....

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Well, that sure was 52 minutes of pretty much the most boring poo poo imaginable.

gently caress you too, Homeland.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 22, 2014

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I wonder what the writing team was thinking when they thought this was finale material.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I was 100% sure that every car was about to explode when started, and that ugly baby was going to be kidnapped. And that every time Carrie was alone, someone was going to be standing just off camera in the shadows.

Maybe everything was so boring as a direct comparison to Islamabad?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
It should have ended with the previous episode.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
So Dar Adal was behind everything all season? He's the one that indirectly fed info to Haqqani, tricked the CIA into bombing the wedding, set up the Embassy invasion and Saul kidnapping, just to get Haqqani to be secretly friendly to the CIA after he takes over Afghanistan? (Or only some of that?)

So the Pakistani Intel lady was just in it for her own political gain?

The whole season was just showing the CIA/US to be a bunch of gently caress-ups.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

What a horrible finale. Who thinks we give a poo poo about Carrie's personal life?

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

Chromatic posted:

This season was actually fairly good up until that garbage of a finale.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

gret posted:

What a horrible finale. Who thinks we give a poo poo about Carrie's personal life?

The writers somehow think what people want out of Homeland is tons of Carrie's family drama and Carrie constantly making anguished and emotional faces.

By now everyone knows that Claire Danes can act like a loving champ, we don't have to keep seeing her angst and suffering to connect to her character. At best it seems like the current show writers are just watching season 1/2 and trying to do similar things in the hopes of being as highly regarded.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
What is this video they keep talking about that Saul is in? Him being on video as a hostage is enough to take him out of even being in the CIA again, ever? Did something more incriminating happen? I don't feel like they laid the framework for that very well - unless I missed something.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now
I'm going to defend the finale. It wasn't meant to be the climax of the season like I'm sure a lot of viewers were expecting, it was an epilogue. The climax happened a few episodes ago and this episode was all about the aftermath.

I think the writers did a good job closing a bunch of character arcs in this episode and generally wrapping things up. I especially liked Lockhart's send-off. It was perfect. I'm also glad the show finally acknowledge Rebhorn's death.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Kelly posted:

What is this video they keep talking about that Saul is in? Him being on video as a hostage is enough to take him out of even being in the CIA again, ever? Did something more incriminating happen? I don't feel like they laid the framework for that very well - unless I missed something.

No but it looks pretty bad when a former CIA chief is being held on a leash by a known terrorist.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

No but it looks pretty bad when a former CIA chief is being held on a leash by a known terrorist.

That is what I assumed, but the way they were going on about him not even being employed there seemed overblown.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

HOT SQUATS posted:

I'm going to defend the finale. It wasn't meant to be the climax of the season like I'm sure a lot of viewers were expecting, it was an epilogue. The climax happened a few episodes ago and this episode was all about the aftermath.

I think the writers did a good job closing a bunch of character arcs in this episode and generally wrapping things up. I especially liked Lockhart's send-off. It was perfect. I'm also glad the show finally acknowledge Rebhorn's death.

I think the main problem is that they left the audience expecting something big after the Dar Adal reveal. They really needed something to excuse the constant blue balls over Haqani never quite getting killed. A little cool down is alright but we shouldn't have to look at afterwards and say "Well I guess that was the climax back there."

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Conspiracy theory:

Season 4 finale was initially filmed to wrap up the Haqqani story, with him being killed, and also deal with some serious mindfuck Dar Adal treason poo poo.

When they got Season 5 greenlit though, they decided they wanted to string Haqqani out for another season (because everyone loved the Haqqani stuff), so they ditched their existing finale and scrambled to re-shoot a new one (they had to shoot it all in the US, because the South Africa shoot had all packed up) - so they came up with this cobbled-together bollocks instead, and of course had to sort-of wave away the Dar Adal stuff with some weak piffle, so that they could string his treason stuff out for another season as well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kelly posted:

What is this video they keep talking about that Saul is in? Him being on video as a hostage is enough to take him out of even being in the CIA again, ever?

Ohhhh yeah. Big time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

An hour long version of "When are they going to get to the fireworks factory?!"... ugh, Homeland...

• Locked thread