Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'm working on a terrible train wreck of a project, and it's come to light that we may need ~8gbps of ipsec. Yes, you read that correctly.

Is there anything in the Cisco family that could put up these numbers? Any platform. The best I could find was ASA 5585-X with SSP60, which claims 5gbps.

Palo 5060 claims 8gbps, but that's cutting it close. Palo 7050 claims 48gbps of AES when fully loaded, but I have no idea how that works in the real world.

edit: My mistake, 5060 claims 4gbps.

jwh fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

jwh posted:

I'm working on a terrible train wreck of a project, and it's come to light that we may need ~8gbps of ipsec. Yes, you read that correctly.

Is there anything in the Cisco family that could put up these numbers? Any platform. The best I could find was ASA 5585-X with SSP60, which claims 5gbps.

Palo 5060 claims 8gbps, but that's cutting it close. Palo 7050 claims 48gbps of AES when fully loaded, but I have no idea how that works in the real world.

Single tunnel? Multiple tunnels? ASA clustering?

If it's securing inter-site transport, could you look at doing something like macsec instead?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

jwh posted:

What about ASR1006 with ASR1000-ESP100

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
What's your average packet size going to be?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'm currently building out two sites: a large manufacturing facility and a single rack in a colo. The plan for the factory is a pair of 4500-Xs as core switches and 2960-Xs as access switches in the MDF.

For the colo, I'm more familiar with the Nexus line, and I'm wondering if I should use Nexus 5672s or 3172s as the core (only) switches, or if I should be consistent and just match the 4500-Xs. I don't really trust my VAR's opinions, which is the bigger problem.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

KS posted:

I'm currently building out two sites: a large manufacturing facility and a single rack in a colo. The plan for the factory is a pair of 4500-Xs as core switches and 2960-Xs as access switches in the MDF.

For the colo, I'm more familiar with the Nexus line, and I'm wondering if I should use Nexus 5672s or 3172s as the core (only) switches, or if I should be consistent and just match the 4500-Xs. I don't really trust my VAR's opinions, which is the bigger problem.

Disclaimer, I work for another var in the bay area! You should totally replace them with us!

What sort of features do you anticipate needing? Policy routing? WCCP? MPLS?

There are some things that Nexus does really well but if you don't need any of those things then it's not worth it. Do you care about FCoE or unified port?

1000101 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 19, 2014

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Meraki users: any way to do cross-switch etherchannels with their virtual stacking capabilities, or is that purely for management?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

ragzilla posted:

Single tunnel? Multiple tunnels? ASA clustering?

If it's securing inter-site transport, could you look at doing something like macsec instead?

Securing intersite transport over public internet, yes. Or, at least, that's what I'm being told at the moment. The connectivity piece is changing nearly every day, and tends to vacillate between some combination of ipsec over public internet and MPLS.

This is a lot of radius traffic, so as for average packet size, I'm not really sure, as we haven't received captures from the lab environments. I don't know what kind of TLVs they're sending, or how many.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

jwh posted:

Securing intersite transport over public internet, yes. Or, at least, that's what I'm being told at the moment. The connectivity piece is changing nearly every day, and tends to vacillate between some combination of ipsec over public internet and MPLS.

This is a lot of radius traffic, so as for average packet size, I'm not really sure, as we haven't received captures from the lab environments. I don't know what kind of TLVs they're sending, or how many.

http://www.gdc4s.com/taclane-10g-%28kg-175x%29.html :smug:

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

jwh posted:

This is exactly what Talari does:
http://www.talari.com/products/

I've had them running over a year in using a mixture of MPLS and Internet. Largest link aggregates 2 gigs no problem. They have units coming out at 10gig very soon.

The only issue that I've had with them is that, by default, they give SSH and Telnet the lowest priority across the WAN. This hit one of our older financial apps pretty hard during heavy traffic. Once we found that, we changed priority and everything has been happy. They have really amazing support as well. Their SE's and support guys are well versed on all facets of networking.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'm somewhat familiar with Talari. I looked at them some time ago, but they couldn't support multitenancy. Is Talari encrypting via AES for transport?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
What's the smallest machine/setup you guys can think of to ntop/nmon 100mbps WAN connection? I want to put together something I can ship to a far-end site in order to figure out who's hogging the pipe.

Intel NUC + mirrored switch port?

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

Fun Shoe
Talaris can use 128 or 256-bit AES. If you want to get super tinfoil about it, you can split the traffic across multiple pipes and have them re-assembled at the remote end (we actually do this for CAD and other intellectual property replication and backup).

I would be interested in a use-case outside of an MSP where multitenancy would be a requirement for an application like this. I'd also be interested in finding other alternatives to the product, just to see if they're doing anything cool or different. We've been able to dramatically reduce our MRC for the WAN by implementing Talaris and upgrading our Riverbeds. Our ROI on the Riverbeds/Talaris was just 13 months.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

Fun Shoe
The NUC is great for applications like that. I also used a Lenovo Tiny for that before I found the NUCs.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Speaking of high performing security projects, has anyone looked at firewalls capable of 30G+ of inline IPS?

Were using the 5585-Xs with SSP60s and were about to run out of headroom. We need to be able to scale towards 30-50G within 3 years, with upgrades of about 5-10G each year until that point.

I am about to start looking at Palo Alto, but a starting point from experience would be great.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

bad boys for life posted:

I am about to start looking at Palo Alto, but a starting point from experience would be great.
I think Palo Alto 7050s are about your only option at that point. A fully loaded 7050 claims to do 60gbps of threat.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Never used the bigger ones, or IPS on the platform but the Juniper SRXs get massive. 100Gbit of IPS claimed.

https://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/security/srx-series/srx5800/

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Can I ask what your use case is for doing IPS on that much traffic?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Just imagining the number of false positives to ack with that kind of throughput is enough to make me start dry heaving.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone using Cisco NAC/ISE? How sad am I going to be if we look at implementing it for one of our clients?

You have to be ATP listed with Cisco to deploy it, unless you are doing wireless only. It's something you need to do thorough prep work, and labbing. I do ISE deployments now for Cisco (along with other stuff). It really depends on what you are doing and what you have for infra already in place. The hard part is the business managers and PMs not understanding why you can't just flip a switch and have everything be roses in 24hrs.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Two probably dumb questions. I'm just dipping my toes into ASA so be gentle.

"ping inside n.n.n.n" -- Does this ping n.n.n.n ON the internal interface or ORIGINATING from the internal interface? Aside from using ASDM to packet trace, is there any way I can ping an IP while passing through zones, such that the relevant ACLs are applied. So I guess I'd like to ping 8.8.8.8 from an internal interface.

and:

If I use packet tracer in ASDM, does it actually send the packet in question, or is it only doing a simulation?

The interface specified in the ping command sets the originating interface and source IP address of the ICMP echo. You can't specify internal interfaces unless something crazy is going on... I could be misinterpreting your comments however.

Packet tracer generates a packet in the ingress interface buffer. A special tag is inserted in the IP header and the different processing nodes within ASA write their info in the payload. When it hits the egress interface ASA poo poo cans the packet and writes the packet payload out to console/ASDM. Yes it's a handy way to bring up a L2L tunnel.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

jwh posted:

ASR. I think that platform has the highest crypto throughput of anything Cisco sells currently.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Our business has two ASA 5515-X firewalls, and I'm thinking I'll sell them both and replace them with two Dual or Quad WAN load balancing routers that can support VPN to Azure.

Anyone know a cost effective choice? Basically I wanna be able to plug in 2 or 3 cable modems from different ISPs into one of the routers so I have the combined bandwidth and failover of the ISPs, and then the second router is a failover for the first. Is that the ideal way to go about what I'm trying?

The ASA's look to be worth like $2000 each, and there's Cisco Small Business Dual WANs and Netgear Quad WANs both closer to $200 which handle VPN as well, so why the huge difference in price? We don't use AnyConnect if that's what that's all about.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn133793.aspx

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks, I'll bookmark that, that saves me from having to pay a Cisco tech to figure it out.

Do all these other brands of routers typically support the Cisco IOS language? I have HP Procurve switches and the command line seems identical, but I don't know if I should be expecting that with the Netgear routers or other off brands.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Look very carefully at the throughput figures. The Netgear stuff is a completely different class and if you had a reason to purchase 5515-X's there is nothing in the Netgear range that won't be slower than your internet connection once you turn up the security features.

CLIs for networking kit is nearly all IOS-esque, at least as far as switching goes.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 22, 2014

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Unless it's Juniper gear running their crazy moon language.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Look very carefully at the throughput figures. The Netgear stuff is a completely different class and if you had a reason to purchase 5515-X's there is nothing in the Netgear range that won't be slower than your internet connection once you turn up the security features.

CLIs for networking kit is nearly all IOS-esque, at least as far as switching goes.

Honestly I don't think we had any reason to purchase the 5515-X's. All my users run Office 365 and Salesforce, demos with GoToMeeting and that's it. No trade secrets or anything here, maybe at R&D branch but that's in another state and our sales building has no reason to VPN with them since I have all our files in sharepoint. The old IT crew was some outsourced union and I assume they got some kind of kickbacks for the unnecessary junk they pushed on this place before I arrived.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think you'd be better off sticking with the ASAs and pushing for some training rather than chucking them out and buying something worse, it will serve you better for the future.

The 5515-X supports failover, so if you have a pair then they might already be set up like that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

I think you'd be better off sticking with the ASAs and pushing for some training rather than chucking them out and buying something worse, it will serve you better for the future.

The 5515-X supports failover, so if you have a pair then they might already be set up like that.

I just want something built for robust Dual WAN / Load Balancing with only basic firewall/VPN. The ASA 5000 series can allegedly do a few ghetto workarounds like routing half the world's ISP's through one ISP and half through another, and even then things like firmware upgrades can break those. That's what I'm finding as I keep Googling at least. I have an assistant dedicated to selling/buying our equipment on eBay so if I can get fair value for the ASAs and replace them with more simple/appropriate equipment I'd like to.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CrazyLittle posted:

What's the smallest machine/setup you guys can think of to ntop/nmon 100mbps WAN connection? I want to put together something I can ship to a far-end site in order to figure out who's hogging the pipe.

Intel NUC + mirrored switch port?

Looks like the Ubiquiti Edgerouter's got darkstat already in its package repos, and it seems to be working so far on this edgerouter lite I have on my desk. If it ends up getting overloaded I'll pony up for ntopng/nprobe

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

inignot posted:

Unless it's Juniper gear running their crazy moon language.

I have learned to love that moon language. I never want to go back.

BaconBeast
Aug 18, 2006
I'll take the hundy pounder and fries, thanks.

Zero VGS posted:

I just want something built for robust Dual WAN / Load Balancing with only basic firewall/VPN. The ASA 5000 series can allegedly do a few ghetto workarounds like routing half the world's ISP's through one ISP and half through another, and even then things like firmware upgrades can break those. That's what I'm finding as I keep Googling at least. I have an assistant dedicated to selling/buying our equipment on eBay so if I can get fair value for the ASAs and replace them with more simple/appropriate equipment I'd like to.

The ASAs will kick the poo poo out of anything you cross shop netgear with, they just have a learning curve. Load balancing normal traffic sucks, but you could do equal cost ospf up to your northbound routers?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zero VGS posted:

Load balancing doesn't exist. The only way to outbound "load balance" is to run dual peer BGP full routes. Otherwise it's hacks all the way down, regardless of vendor.
Learn the ASAs and set them up to your needs, then move on. Technology isn't a panacea, it requires intelligence and good policy behind it. There isn't a magic box that will do what you want,

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

Load balancing doesn't exist. The only way to outbound "load balance" is to run dual peer BGP full routes. Otherwise it's hacks all the way down, regardless of vendor.
Learn the ASAs and set them up to your needs, then move on. Technology isn't a panacea, it requires intelligence and good policy behind it. There isn't a magic box that will do what you want,

In addition firewalls aren't routers. I mean they are, but use the right tool for the right job.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Tremblay posted:

In addition firewalls aren't routers. I mean they are, but use the right tool for the right job.

Well yeah, I started off saying I want to ditch the ASAs and get Dual WAN routers instead, and we came full-circle back to people telling me to use the ASAs with OSPF for that purpose.

Whatever can more or less equally dish out traffic onto two ISPs and have failover to one or the other, that's what I wanna go with. I'm bringing in Cisco techs that can configure anything my gear supports so the question is what's the most appropriate and simple setup?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Redundant fiber from two providers coming into the routers with a microwave dish on the roof for backup and an opengear with POTS and 4G connectivity :getin:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

doomisland posted:

Redundant fiber from two providers coming into the routers with a microwave dish on the roof for backup and an opengear with POTS and 4G connectivity :getin:

Gotta have separate trenches for that fiber. Backhoes make work of fiber real quick.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Well yeah, I started off saying I want to ditch the ASAs and get Dual WAN routers instead, and we came full-circle back to people telling me to use the ASAs with OSPF for that purpose.

Whatever can more or less equally dish out traffic onto two ISPs and have failover to one or the other, that's what I wanna go with. I'm bringing in Cisco techs that can configure anything my gear supports so the question is what's the most appropriate and simple setup?

A perimeter router and drop the ASAs behind that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tremblay posted:

A perimeter router and drop the ASAs behind that.
That's what we do. In fact, my WAN router is a VM that allows all traffic, and that's how I give HA to that router. It then dumps to an HA pair of fortigates.