Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Soooooooo I should be buying Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and Papers, Please, right?

Don't admit to buying these in this sale.
You should have them now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Soooooooo I should be buying Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and Papers, Please, right?

Yes and yes, in that order. For VtM, you should probably also visit the thread to pick up the patches and mods that make it work properly.

Authorman posted:

Probably not since all morally correct people already own both of these games and two copies will do you no good.

Also, this.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there a thread/steam group for goons to play random multiplayer pickup games? It'd be cool to see if anyone wants to play like, UT2K4 or some cool game and not have to play with garbage people.

Drunk Tomato posted:

This has been tossed around here and there, and is a great idea, but never really come to fruition. You should make a thread and see if there's any interest.

Everblight posted:

Best idea (we used to do this back on XBox when metatags were a thing) would be to make a group called "The Weekly Old" or something, and just each week declare an old game to be the thing we're all gonna play for the week, so people have some sort of direction in their pickup games. It also gets you to digitally dust off your copies of stuff you forgot even had multiplayer.

Drunk Tomato posted:

I think a SA thread would be best, honestly. I never pay attention to Steam groups.

Well there's my interest check done for me. I'd been kicking around the idea of doing a co-op thread for a while, since my library is getting bloated with games that are apparently fun to play online/co-op but I dont have cool pc gamer irl friends and/or their online communities are dead. I was considering posting it after the sale was over and everybody had finished loading up with the steam meta-game, but I guess I should maybe do it earlier?

I got a long list of co-op and multiplayer games that'd be likely candidates, and like half an OP written up, but I'm still unsure if it should just be for finding co-op buddies or have like a game of week/month where everybody tries to play one game together for maximum playerbase/goon dickery. Or both? And I was uncertain whether Games or Private Game Servers would be a better place for it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I have really sporadic game time, most weeknights after 9 EST I can play for a few hours, but most game nights I've seen on other sites are done by the time I get situated after getting back from work. Loosely scheduled regular game nights would be great though where people can decide what to play around a specific time, maybe have a rotating catalog of games if you want to be a bit more rigorous.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To be fair, just about every time you turn around and walk away from the direction the game is trying to point you in, you find a treasure chest, so... yeah. The level design is hilariously bad.

I've been playing it and finding actually pretty fascinating in trying to work out why they made all the dumb design choices they did, so there's that!

There's an anecdote that explains just about everything you need to know about FF13: on the day FF12 was released, Squeenix did a promotional event where the very first person to buy the very first copy of Final Fantasy 12 was ushered directly from the cash register into a photo op with Yoichi “President of Square-Enix” Wada. After bowing and forced smiles, literally the first breathless words out of the mouth of this dedicated otaku was "Please remake FFVII for the PS3 as soon as possible!" Then he took his game and scuttled away. He literally had not cracked the seal on the new edition of the game, but he knew he'd prefer a remake of the old one.

Everything Square has made for seventeen years has been overshadowed by a game whose popularity they do not understand and cannot recapture. Thus, FF13.

I actually kind of like FF13, but there it is. Sazh is great, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, bit of a weird request, but what the hell...

I'm looking to spend about $10 for something, but I can't figure out what to get. I'd be happy to hear opinions of some stuff I have on my wishlist (even if what you're suggesting is more, that's ok, especially if it'll likely be on sale before Jan 2nd), so I can make a good decision. By the same token, if something sucks, let me know? I need to trim it down anyway. Some games are on there for nostalgic reasons (UT2K4, the GTAs, Simcity 4), but others I added so I'd remember them after going through a few Steam recommendations. But as you all know, some games that look good might not be at all.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/robot_cousin//wishlist

Edit: Just Fyi, I'm leaning towards Olliolli.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You seem to have a pretty solid list when it comes to the under 10$ range actually.

I do recommend removing Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. It's horribly scripted jump scares and doesn't capture the feel of the original at all.

OlliOlli's quite good, but pretty tough and made for the folks you really want to keep topping leaderboards and high scores. If you're that type of gamer, you'll love it.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm looking to spend about $10 for something, but I can't figure out what to get. I'd be happy to hear opinions of some stuff I have on my wishlist (even if what you're suggesting is more, that's ok, especially if it'll likely be on sale before Jan 2nd), so I can make a good decision. By the same token, if something sucks, let me know? I need to trim it down anyway. Some games are on there for nostalgic reasons (UT2K4, the GTAs, Simcity 4), but others I added so I'd remember them after going through a few Steam recommendations. But as you all know, some games that look good might not be at all.

If you like Deus Ex and aren't the kind of guy who will whine about a modern reimagining of a classic not being literally exactly the same as a clunky old mess made over 10 years ago then Deus Ex HR DC is a solid recommendation from me. Game is really good. And you'd be getting a lot of AAA playtime for your investment compared to some indie thing that will amuse you for a few hours.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Well, my initial reaction from your wishlist is that you've got Resident Evil 4 there, which is pretty much the best action game of its generation (maybe any generation), so if you've never played that, it would certainly be $10 well spent. Two other, entirely unrelated options, would be Spelunky, which is super hard and endlessly replayable, and Dungeon of the Endless, which seems pretty amazing from what I've played so far, although the detailed posts from Rookersh earlier in the thread will sell it much better than I can.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Top choices: Human Revolution, Arkham City, Resident Evil 4 and Saint's Row IV.

Bottom swill: A Machine for Pigs.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Stan Taylor posted:

I have really sporadic game time, most weeknights after 9 EST I can play for a few hours, but most game nights I've seen on other sites are done by the time I get situated after getting back from work. Loosely scheduled regular game nights would be great though where people can decide what to play around a specific time, maybe have a rotating catalog of games if you want to be a bit more rigorous.

That's fine, I figure it'll be real loosey-goosey anyway, loads of people have sporadic game times, and time zones for that matter. It really depends on the game too, for some it'll only be goons looking to co-op 1 on 1 with each other (:pervert:), but for others we'll probably be trying to get bunches of people together to :goon: some poor old multiplayer game's servers so we'll need more concrete times and such.

A lot of your wishlist will be probably be on sale at some point before Jan. 2, so I'd wait so you can get the most bang for your buck. That being said you should absolutely buy Spelunky. Shame you missed Binding of Isaac: Rebirth's sale though, that was absolutely worth the $10.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

If you like shmups at all, Jamestown is pretty top-tier. It has a good balance of "newbie-friendly" and "crazy bullet hell" settings, and I really like the Vault system.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Appreciate the feedback so far! I've played Spelunky on xbla a ton, so I'll get this version eventually. As for RE4, this would be the fifth format I've bought it for. And DE:HR I own already, but it's not the DC, is there a cheap way I can upgrade? I've never played it, btw.

There's no way for any of you to have known any of this, so sorry for that! Again, though, I appreciate your thoughts. Going to get rid of Amnesia and perhaps rethink Olliolli; I'm not much of a score-oriented player, though I qas hopelessly addicted to THPS 1 and 2.

poo poo, are those games on Steam?!

Edit: well, that was unexpected, thank you Logan5 for Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet! Really didn't have to, but again, thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 23, 2014

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Appreciate the feedback so far! I've played Spelunky on xbla a ton, so I'll get this version eventually. As for RE4, this would be the fifth format I've bought it for. And DE:HR I own already, but it's not the DC, is there a cheap way I can upgrade? I've never played it, btw.

Not that I'm aware of, much to my chagrin. The original free PC version of Spelunky is actually just as good if not better than the XBLA to PC port so really just mail the dude a check if you're one of those dev supporting buyers. Dungeon of the Endless is a bit dicey, I own all of the *Endless games and Dungeon of is the only one I have gotten exactly zero enjoyment from. I enjoy the others quite a lot.

SPAZ is very good fun.

Games on your list that I would wholeheartedly encourage you to stay away from: Mercenary Kings and AVGN, the former is just a 2D monster hunter ripoff, and while I don't quite understand what makes monster hunter fun (and I think it is very fun) what I can say for sure is that Mercenary Kings has none of it. AVGN is just one of those 2D platformers that is hard for the sake of being hard.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

There's an anecdote that explains just about everything you need to know about FF13: on the day FF12 was released, Squeenix did a promotional event where the very first person to buy the very first copy of Final Fantasy 12 was ushered directly from the cash register into a photo op with Yoichi “President of Square-Enix” Wada. After bowing and forced smiles, literally the first breathless words out of the mouth of this dedicated otaku was "Please remake FFVII for the PS3 as soon as possible!" Then he took his game and scuttled away. He literally had not cracked the seal on the new edition of the game, but he knew he'd prefer a remake of the old one.

Everything Square has made for seventeen years has been overshadowed by a game whose popularity they do not understand and cannot recapture. Thus, FF13.

13 is the only game in the series since 7 that I've played to completion. Not that it's a good game, but it has a weird way of pushing you forward that kept me going.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That anecdote doesn't really mean anything. Assholes always want more of some old poo poo they know they already liked. Asking for an FF7 remake is the "play Freebird" of video games.

The anecdote that explains what's wrong with FF13 is the one where the developers admitted they made the FF13 trailer for Sony's E3 conference and then went back to Japan and tried to design the game based on the trailer.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Erebus posted:

That anecdote doesn't really mean anything. Assholes always want more of some old poo poo they know they already liked. Asking for an FF7 remake is the "play Freebird" of video games.

I dunno I think the anecdote has some merit, seeing as how a lot of people really just like FF7 and couldn't care less about anything post or prior.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Did the Crusader Kings DLC already go on sell?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Erebus posted:

The anecdote that explains what's wrong with FF13 is the one where the developers admitted they made the FF13 trailer for Sony's E3 conference and then went back to Japan and tried to design the game based on the trailer.

Yep. The CGI team made a bunch of cool looking scenes without any direction or context, making the rest of the dev team try to build a story around it. That's why characters appear and vanish so fast in the plot with most of their role being detailed in the codex.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Azran posted:

Holy poo poo IL2 may actually win the vote.

The Dinosaur game will be 50 cents and has trading cards. IL-2 stands no chance. :smith:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Final Fantasy VII was a bad game, and every time Squenix gives yet another Final Fantasy to Nomura a baby seal cries itself to death.

EDIT: Letting him make a TWEWY sequel would be fine though.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 23, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Logan 5 posted:

Shame you missed Binding of Isaac: Rebirth's sale though, that was absolutely worth the $10.

We might have hit peak sale when spending an extra 1.50 is a 'shame'.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Question on regions: I'm in Canada for the holidays (normally a US resident) and everything is displaying in $CDN. Can I get it back or am I stuck with Canadian prices until I get home?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

how me a frog posted:

I dunno I think the anecdote has some merit, seeing as how a lot of people really just like FF7 and couldn't care less about anything post or prior.

Which is stupid as Final Fantasy 9 is the true king of the series, yet hardly anyone played it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i like ff7 and i like freebird

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tempest_56 posted:

Question on regions: I'm in Canada for the holidays (normally a US resident) and everything is displaying in $CDN. Can I get it back or am I stuck with Canadian prices until I get home?

If you factor in the exchange the Canadian prices are actually a bit cheaper for you.

EDIT: As long as you stay away from Ubi AAA titles. They're dicks with regional pricing.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Which is stupid as Final Fantasy 9 is the true king of the series, yet hardly anyone played it.

Hitting the 9 key instead of the 8 key is an easy mistake to make, so you should always proofread your posts.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FF7 was fine for the time but obviously the vast majority of polygonal games from the 90's didn't age well.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tempest_56 posted:

Click here: http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Manatee Cannon posted:

FF7 was fine for the time but obviously the vast majority of polygonal games from the 90's didn't age well.

Oh god yes, this. PSX era games have not aged well at all. They're better left as whimsical nostalgia, at best. N64 have aged OK because they're stylized and still fairly unique and drat good (OoT, Majoras Mask, SSB, Banjo Series are all still playable today).

Do not try to play Twisted Metal 2 ever again :suicide:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Suikoden is good though.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You should get Saints Row IV and The Walking Dead, as they are both on sale right now :derp:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

mr. nobody posted:

We might have hit peak sale when spending an extra 1.50 is a 'shame'.

:lol: It's still absolutely worth full price. But this is the steam thread man, those extra $1.50's add up to another game on daily/flash/community sale :homebrew:

\/\/\/\/ holy poo poo, why would they think that would be good idea?

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 23, 2014

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Copying from the ds thread:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'll stream the first non-MP game people suggest I play for the next 5 hours

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Everblight posted:

I'll stream the first non-MP game people suggest I play for the next 5 hours

Final Fantasy 7

Let the hype live, or die, with your stream.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Ddraig posted:

I borrowed a copy of 9, and finished it, but could never find a copy. And with Final Fantasies 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, 13, 13-2 and 14 all on Steam you would think 9 would show up. Or 10. Honestly with 13 and 13-2 showing up I am surprised more Final Fantasies haven't.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Morter posted:

Final Fantasy 7

Let the hype live, or die, with your stream.

FFVII until 11:36 PST

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Authorman posted:

Probably not since all morally correct people already own both of these games and two copies will do you no good.

Malek posted:

Don't admit to buying these in this sale.
You should have them now...
Oh, look at that, I was mistaken, I had them all along! I'm totally not buying them right now! :ninja:

Tippis posted:

Yes and yes, in that order. For VtM, you should probably also visit the thread to pick up the patches and mods that make it work properly.

Ah, cheers, I was looking for the thread earlier and couldn't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Xaris posted:

Oh god yes, this. PSX era games have not aged well at all. They're better left as whimsical nostalgia, at best. N64 have aged OK because they're stylized and still fairly unique and drat good (OoT, Majoras Mask, SSB, Banjo Series are all still playable today).

Do not try to play Twisted Metal 2 ever again :suicide:

Those titles haven't aged that well either if you play them on an actual N64. OoT and Majora's Mask for example run at 20 FPS, worse if you're PAL.

• Locked thread