Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

thexerox123 posted:

No kidding, I'm finding SHM's dictums on how to post far more annoying than Irish Joe, right now.

SpiderHyphenMan, you're not a mod or the OP, please stop telling me how to post.
On the other hand, repeatedly quoting and engaging with a shitposting gimmick makes it real hard for people to actually ignore him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

Writing letters only to her and none of her other friends or family?

Well, at that moment, Korra's hurt. She's ashamed, she feels weak and she doesn't like to feel weak. She needs to turn to someone, but who? She obviously won't write Mako about her feelings because he'd try to do something about it (in effect, save her), and she wouldn't tell Tenzin or her family because she doesn't want to be pitied or have sage advice dumped on her. So she turns to the only person who will treat her like a peer; a good friend whom she's knows won't preach to her, advise her or pity her: Assami. Yes, it could be read as love (especially in hindsight), but there's an equally, and I would argue more persuasive, argument that it was merely about friendship.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Alright, I'll give you that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Any attempt to go "hey can you actually moderate the Korra thread" gets met with "lol dumb babys don't want people telling them to grow up and stop watching cartoons."

First of all. That's bullshit and you know it. I've wasted more time moderating this thread than virtually the entirety of the rest of this forum because for some reason this group of posters doesn't know how to go a single goddamn day without causing some kind of problem. If you have a problem with people posting their opinions you don't report them. That's just nonsense. When someone breaks an actual rule then there's something to be done. I've told several people to stop posting in this thread because they were obviously making GBS threads it up. If you think someone else isn't on the level with their discussion then let me let you in on a little secret. IGNORE THEM. Irish Joe is Irish Joe. He's made a posting career out of bugging people but he's never broken any rules that I can see. If you don't like what he says feel free to ignore it. I'm not going to probate him or anyone else for having dissenting opinions.

Second of all. You've bugged me I don't know how many times about this thread. I've tried to help in the past. But I'm not going to just make a rule that you can't post in the thread if you don't like the show. And that's the only way you're going to get the sterile posting environment you seem to want. I have almost as many complaints from you about this thread as I have complaints about you from this thread so just think about that for a second before you go wishing that the problem posters were wiped from the thread wholesale.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Irish Joe actually seems to be engaging with people now.

And honestly this one question seems valid. I maintain Asami shows more sustained, non-platonic interest in Korra than Korra does in Asami. When exactly did Korra start thinking about things differently? Can anyone pinpoint it?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Irish Joe actually seems to be engaging with people now.

And honestly this one question seems valid. I maintain Asami shows more sustained, non-platonic interest in Korra than Korra does in Asami. When exactly did Korra start thinking about things differently? Can anyone pinpoint it?

:v:

Edit: Seriously though it probably was about there.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

LEGO Genetics posted:

I was always under the impression we could bicker about lesbian bisexual overtones in a childrens cartoon show for a very long time

Bryan's Tumblr posted:

Despite what you might have heard, bisexual people are real!

:colbert:

Steensma
Nov 2, 2014

So I started rewatching season 3 because I have time, it's my favorite season, and a rewatch of the whole series would be incredibly daunting. One striking thing is how drat optimistic it is. Season 4 was a bummer from the start and to just about the very end, but season 3 begins with such promise, which would gradually be sucked away.

Also Zaheer's entrance is cool af, and it reveals his intentions off the bat.

EDIT: In addition, it's a premise that actually gets every character in the same location at the start, with a clear mission. Contrast season 1 which took until episode 3 to really bring on the villain, season 2 which had no clear focus until... the finale?, and season 4 which took its sweet time bringing the characters together. Though I'm willing to bat for Air and Balance, Change just runs the most smoothly.

Steensma fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 23, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Kibayasu posted:

:v:

Edit: Seriously though it probably was about there.

Really? Right there? Seems a bit odd but I can't really think of anything earlier. Unless she started feeling that way before and just had no opportunity to show it during her exile, I guess. Still think most of the stuff that is very explicitly romantic on Korra's end is actually in the finale. Which is ok. Like I said, she's been busy.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Steensma posted:

So I started rewatching season 3 because I have time, it's my favorite season, and a rewatch of the whole series would be incredibly daunting. One striking thing is how drat optimistic it is. Season 4 was a bummer from the start and to just about the very end, but season 3 begins with such promise, which would gradually be sucked away.

Also Zaheer's entrance is cool af, and it reveals his intentions off the bat.

Zaheer's original haircut was cool as hell and I'm glad he grew it back. Would be funny if he ended up living in the spirit world Iroh style,dude is super spiritual.

The Sharmat posted:

Really? Right there? Seems a bit odd but I can't really think of anything earlier. Unless she started feeling that way before and just had no opportunity to show it during her exile, I guess. Still think most of the stuff that is very explicitly romantic on Korra's end is actually in the finale. Which is ok. Like I said, she's been busy.

Yeah most of it seems like it is from Asami first which fits because Korra is an awkward dork when it comes to anything romantic.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 23, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Deadpool posted:

First of all. That's bullshit and you know it. I've wasted more time moderating this thread than virtually the entirety of the rest of this forum because for some reason this group of posters doesn't know how to go a single goddamn day without causing some kind of problem. If you have a problem with people posting their opinions you don't report them. That's just nonsense. When someone breaks an actual rule then there's something to be done. I've told several people to stop posting in this thread because they were obviously making GBS threads it up. If you think someone else isn't on the level with their discussion then let me let you in on a little secret. IGNORE THEM. Irish Joe is Irish Joe. He's made a posting career out of bugging people but he's never broken any rules that I can see. If you don't like what he says feel free to ignore it. I'm not going to probate him or anyone else for having dissenting opinions.

Second of all. You've bugged me I don't know how many times about this thread. I've tried to help in the past. But I'm not going to just make a rule that you can't post in the thread if you don't like the show. And that's the only way you're going to get the sterile posting environment you seem to want. I have almost as many complaints from you about this thread as I have complaints about you from this thread so just think about that for a second before you go wishing that the problem posters were wiped from the thread wholesale.

idk if it's against the rules but i think there's a difference between posts criticizing the way the show is written and posts like

Irish Joe posted:

This is exactly the kind of ignorant, dismissive attitude I'm talking about. You are literally so childish that you think anyone who disagrees with you is a homophobe. Your parents failed horribly, because you are a very stupid, ignorant and mean spirited human being.

for the record i havent posted in this thread except once, like yesterday so i have no real horse in whatever race is going on

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

As presented by the show, yeah, probably right there. I'm pretty sure that's literally the first time they met since the end of season 3 after all. If you want to start applying real emotions to fictional characters call that the moment where you don't quite realize yet that its love love that making you blush.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

idk if it's against the rules but i think there's a difference between posts criticizing the way the show is written and posts like

for the record i havent posted in this thread except once, like yesterday so i have no real horse in whatever race is going on

Mods are really doing less Modding overall,they were worried about maybe them getting in the way off the fun parts of the forum with too many rules. Even LP laxed up a bit.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Deadpool posted:

I just double-checked and saw that you probated Occ for his posts in the thread, I recant everything.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They put a fig leaf on the scene, but if the obvious interpretation weren't the one you're meant to take away, it wouldn't have looked anything like it did.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Kibayasu posted:

If you want to start applying real emotions to fictional characters

Isn't this what fictional characters are for?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mymla posted:

It's an anime.

A bit late, but it'd be more apt to say "it's an action show." Pretty much every action show ever has characters be insanely durable since it wouldn't be interesting for a character to get injured and be out for several weeks with regularity.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
"But this particular decision wasn’t only done for us. We did it for all our queer friends, family, and colleagues. It is long over due that our media (including children’s media) stops treating non-heterosexual people as nonexistent, or as something merely to be mocked. I’m only sorry it took us so long to have this kind of representation in one of our stories."

aka

"We didn't do this because it made any sense in the show, we did it to pander to a minority group" - good writer

I wouldn't have even minded Korrasami if it was more involved in the show, but I find it kind of obnoxious that they just snuck it in at the end, making it the final focus of the show for some agenda. Despite whatever is said about hinting at it, they had no real development as a couple and had shown no interest in such a thing. I don't care if the next Avatar has every other couple be a gay couple, but at least flesh poo poo out a bit instead of just throwing two characters together in the finale to make a statement.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Even Mako notices it in season 4. He calls them out for bickering like a married couple when they first all meet up for lunch.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Akumos posted:

I wouldn't have even minded Korrasami if it was more involved in the show, but I find it kind of obnoxious that they just snuck it in at the end, making it the final focus of the show for some agenda. Despite whatever is said about hinting at it, they had no real development as a couple and had shown no interest in such a thing. I don't care if the next Avatar has every other couple be a gay couple, but at least flesh poo poo out a bit instead of just throwing two characters together in the finale to make a statement.

They kind of had to do it that way, I do agree with you on it though, I would have liked it better if Korra ended up with nobody at all at the end.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Akumos posted:

but I find it kind of obnoxious that they just snuck it in at the end, making it the final focus of the show for some agenda. Despite whatever is said about hinting at it, they had no real development as a couple and had shown no interest in such a thing
It had more foreshadowing than the giant mech

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jackard posted:

It had more foreshadowing than the giant mech

And that absolutely blew. The mech was the worst part of the finale and I really wish the writers figured out a better way to make Kuvira a threat than resorting to a giant robot she pulled some levers in.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I love everything about this. I guess Kuvira is my ship. Not Kuvira with anybody, Can you do that?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

TheKingofSprings posted:

And that absolutely blew. The mech was the worst part of the finale and I really wish the writers figured out a better way to make Kuvira a threat than resorting to a giant robot she pulled some levers in.

I didn't like it when it first showed up but I actually enjoyed the fight around it so I was pleasantly surprised.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The cries of "it came out of nowhere!" will always be funny.
The same people saying it should have been more explicit were the ones saying that Korra sucked when it focused on romance.

Ahahahha I'm in my 40s.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

First of all, please stop talking about the ~thread drama~ poo poo - all the melodramatic bullshit is just like Book 1 with the love triangle, and you are ALL Mako.

Secondly, can we talk about the giant potential for spirit vine power? I've always wondered about how things are powered in the Avatarverse. How do Satomobiles operate? I don't think we ever saw anything like oil production/processing, so I'm not sure how they can operate. We saw a power plant in Book 1 where lightning benders hit nodes, but is that the ONLY source of power? Could you make a giant platinum death robot using a lot of lightning benders, and if so, how much would Verrick pay for one?

Also, I'd really love to see a Future Avatar that deals with the changes in technology - there was a bit of this in how the Equalists used technology to beat benders, but after B1 it seems a lot of the "Technology for the People" theme goes away.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Akumos posted:

"But this particular decision wasn’t only done for us. We did it for all our queer friends, family, and colleagues. It is long over due that our media (including children’s media) stops treating non-heterosexual people as nonexistent, or as something merely to be mocked. I’m only sorry it took us so long to have this kind of representation in one of our stories."

aka

"We didn't do this because it made any sense in the show, we did it to pander to a minority group" - good writer

There's was two seasons worth of foreshadowing that even the people who saw it thought was wishful thinking.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Akumos posted:

I don't see how you can draw this conclusion from that paragraph unless you just ignored everything that came before it in that post.

Especially:

quote:

The more Korra and Asami’s relationship progressed, the more the idea of a romance between them organically blossomed for us.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

I don't see how you can draw this conclusion from that paragraph unless you just ignored everything that came before it in that post.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

T-man posted:

How do Satomobiles operate? I don't think we ever saw anything like oil production/processing, so I'm not sure how they can operate.

There's a firebender under the hood of each one.

Mind you, we never really saw how the fire nation tanks in AtLA were powered, either.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

Mind you, we never really saw how the fire nation tanks in AtLA were powered, either.
The Satomobiles are 1900s combustion engines. No bending involved.
The ATLA Fire Nation tanks are powered by steam. It's literal steampunk.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Pretty sure we did? Wasn't waterbenders making use of the steam inside, and earthbenders bending coal both things covered in ATLA?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The ATLA Fire Nation tanks are powered by steam. It's literal steampunk.

Ambivalent posted:

Pretty sure we did? Wasn't waterbenders making use of the steam inside, and earthbenders bending coal both things covered in ATLA?

Fair enough, then! Although the coal was probably for the ships.
Clearly, this is a sign that I need to rewatch the entire franchise.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 23, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So does that mean airbenders get compressed air vehicles?

That owns

E: or they can just loving glide

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

And not having the mecha would have made the climactic fight much less cool. Taking something down like they did only works if it's big, and being humanoid is a bonus.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Also holy poo poo I wish the rest of the mod team would actually run the website like this instead of agreeing with every stupid report brigade that disagrees with someone, I'm permabanned from E/N for literally trying to discuss feminist points I disagreed on. A Good Website

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Akumos posted:

Also holy poo poo I wish the rest of the mod team would actually run the website like this instead of agreeing with every stupid report brigade that disagrees with someone, I'm permabanned from E/N for literally trying to discuss feminist points I disagreed on. A Good Website

Mind telling was what feminist points you disagreed with, perchance? :mrgw:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I don't think Kuriva shooting at her fiance was out of character. She is a literal hitler, at what point did she ever give the impression her boyfriend was more important than her 'unification'?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I wonder what kind of warcrime trials are going to be brought up after this. Kuvira seemed pretty lonely at the top. Not a huge chain of command. Bataar was there though. Is Suyin going to try to play the "I was only following orders/I was on Kyoshi Island during the war." card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I wonder what kind of warcrime trials are going to be brought up after this. Kuvira seemed pretty lonely at the top. Not a huge chain of command. Bataar was there though. Is Suyin going to try to play the "I was only following orders/I was on Kyoshi Island during the war." card?

Her mom spent her whole childhood getting her out of trouble,she would try.

• Locked thread