Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

mewse posted:

MTS's DSL doesn't seem as reliable from my purely anecdotal experience

It varies. In Winnipeg, its supposed to be good. I used to live in Brandon, and MTS was a goddamn joke there. Westman (local cable co) was significantly better. Been gone 2 years and change, so things may be different now.
I miss Westman. I'm with Eastlink now, and although okay, I feel like I'm getting rear end-puckered with what I have to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

mewse posted:

MTS's DSL doesn't seem as reliable from my purely anecdotal experience

Ehh, fair enough. I was under the impression that Manitonba is one of the few provinces where Internet access is less of a rip-off thanks to the existence of MTS. Didn't occur to me that they might still be using DSL.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Jan posted:

Ehh, fair enough. I was under the impression that Manitonba is one of the few provinces where Internet access is less of a rip-off thanks to the existence of MTS. Didn't occur to me that they might still be using DSL.

For Cell Phone service MTS does the least to screw you out of the 4 carriers available here. For Internet they are bogged down by the fact that DSL can really suck in areas with old infrastructure. THey also have yearly rate increases, nothing close to 10% though. The worst thing MTS does is gouge rural customers for landline service.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

infernal machines posted:

At least you're not running off some shared LOS microwave system located on top of someone's grain silo.

The people living at the other end of my ~2km long road don't even have an option for DSL, it's either Xplornet, rocket stick or dial-up. So.. I guess I'm lucky, if this is what luck entails.

We didn't even get an option that wasn't dial-up until 2005. 2005!!

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Rand McNally posted:

The people living at the other end of my ~2km long road don't even have an option for DSL, it's either Xplornet, rocket stick or dial-up. So.. I guess I'm lucky, if this is what luck entails.

We didn't even get an option that wasn't dial-up until 2005. 2005!!

Where do you live?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

DariusLikewise posted:

For Cell Phone service MTS does the least to screw you out of the 4 carriers available here. For Internet they are bogged down by the fact that DSL can really suck in areas with old infrastructure. THey also have yearly rate increases, nothing close to 10% though. The worst thing MTS does is gouge rural customers for landline service.

I'd argue on the cell front. I had better luck and plans with Rogers, but maybe that was just when my terms were coming up. They do have better reception in the rear end-end-of-nowhere towns, though (albeit shared towers with Rogers has mostly gotten rid of that discrepancy) And holy gently caress do they gouge rural customers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus christ, my reliable unlimited teksavvy DSL of 25/5 for $55/month seems like a steal.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ, my reliable unlimited teksavvy DSL of 25/5 for $55/month seems like a steal.

Beats Rogers any day, and with 2.5 times the cap. :pwn:

Rogers delenda est.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I'm in Calgary, given the news with Shaw, if I'm looking to jump to another provider which will seems the best in terms of consistency/reliability of service and ping?

Telus DSL
Teksavvy DSL (25MB through Telus)
Teksavvy Cable (25MB through Shaw)
Distributel DSL (25MB through Telus)
Distributel Cable (25MB through Shaw)
Or stay with shaw cable

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm a little south of you, and my Teksavvy via Telus infrastructure has been excellent other than the initial hook-up issues. Expect to be down for a week on changeover because of inevitable scheduling/paperwork horseshit, but once it's on it's been really good.

Ping seems to be routed through Vancouver for some reason and typically hovers around 37-39ms, but I've never noticed any playability for anything but to be honest I don't to a ton of online poo poo. Maybe the odd TF2.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Where do you live?

Quinte region. Nobody wants to invest in anything here, unless it's on the air base. :(

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

whiskas posted:

I'm in Calgary, given the news with Shaw, if I'm looking to jump to another provider which will seems the best in terms of consistency/reliability of service and ping?

Telus DSL
Teksavvy DSL (25MB through Telus)
Teksavvy Cable (25MB through Shaw)
Distributel DSL (25MB through Telus)
Distributel Cable (25MB through Shaw)
Or stay with shaw cable

The teksavvy cable/dsl stuff is as reliable as the telus/shaw infrastructure in the area so if you are happy with your shaw service other then the price swtich to the cable package.

The teksavvy cable unlimited package is from what i recall $10 cheaper then the dsl package at $45 for 25 unlimited for cable vs 55 for 25 unlimited for dsl.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Wow we really need start or teksavvy or SOMETHING like that in Winnipeg. This is going to suck rear end. At least MTS has apparently upgraded their wiring in my building since I last checked, so I can get their 50/5. That's probably what I'll end up going with, don't think I want to stay with Shaw after the changes. It feels like I'm choosing the least lovely of a bunch of very lovely options though. MTS as a company is just all around terrible. But it seems like after the Shaw pricing changes happen, the MTS offers will become a slightly better value rather than slightly worse as they currently are

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What is Lightspeed like for those out west? Anyone here have it? I see they have what I think is a decent deal going:
http://www.lightspeed.ca/personal/ratesadsl.html#table

quote:

- Amazing SPECIAL - Expires Jan 3, 2015

Activation fee waived...........$75.00 Savings!

Network System Fee waived.......$4.95/mo Savings!

Naked ADSL(dry) Rate Band Fee........$10.00-$25.00/mo Savings!

Naked (dry)Copper Activation Fee.....$37.00 Savings!

Choose Unlimited Bandwidth for ......$5.00/mo!

code:
Maximum Download Speed Maximum Upload Speed 	Monthly Bandwidth Allowance 	Unlimited Bandwidth 	Monthly Cost
6.0 Mbps 				1.0 Mbps					325 Gigs 				$5.00/mo 			$29.95/mo
15.0 Mbps 				1.0 Mbps					325 Gigs 				$5.00/mo 			$39.95/mo
25.0 Mbps 				3.0 Mbps					325 Gigs 				$5.00/mo 			$44.95/mo
50.0 Mbps 				10.0 Mbps					325 Gigs 				$5.00/mo 			77.95/mo

I am pretty happy with my teksavvy 25/5, but 2x my up/down for +$30 is tempting.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 20, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What in the Hell is "naked (dry)" wiring compared to any other kind?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dry loop is when you don't have an existing voice service via phone line to the residence to run the DSL through.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
The question I have here is "what the gently caress is a network system fee?"

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Migishu posted:

The question I have here is "what the gently caress is a network system fee?"

My question has always been "why the gently caress is dryloop so much more expensive than just getting local voice service".

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Because telecom companies are greedy as gently caress and will nickel and dime you till the day you die

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Teksavvy doesn't do any of that network access as a separate charge bullshit. $54.99+gst.

The dry loop charge does seem pretty common though.

Anyone here on Lightspeed?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

ToxicFrog posted:

My question has always been "why the gently caress is dryloop so much more expensive than just getting local voice service".

Ah because the incumbent Telecom and complicated business crap about paying for the lines in the ground.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
My dry loop fee for DSL through teksavvy was just $5.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

cowofwar posted:

I believe Teksavvy is actually losing money with the $5 dry-loop fee, the band charges range from $6 all the way up to $20.

Start includes the price of it within the service, which is why on paper the actual service is more per-month than other TPIAs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I put an inquiry in with lightspeed asking about 50/10 service and they say it's not available at my house because of noise on the line :(

Oh well, I'm pretty happy with the 25/5 service with Teksavvy.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm interested about anecdotal experience with light speed too as I want to get away from the big two and TekSavvy has horrendous startup costs.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Mantle posted:

I'm interested about anecdotal experience with light speed too as I want to get away from the big two and TekSavvy has horrendous startup costs.

I can barely find any information on it, which is probably a big red flag itself. There is the odd post on DSLReports/other various forums asking what you do and they go mostly unanswered, most I found was the service (from a technical standpoint) is actually its a resold service from AEBC Internet (http://www.aebc.com/residential-services/high-speed-internet/) and has pretty limited peering (https://www.peeringdb.com/private/participant_view.php?id=2073), and lets not even get in to the fact they can't even call their service by the proper name (the 25Mbps and 50Mbps are going to be VDSL)

Reviews? None that I can find on DSLReports, On CanadianISP's the reviews point more negatively than positive (LightSpeed, and the parent company AEBC Internet), not even sure where else people would post stuff.

My vote? Don't go with LightSpeed, especially if your internet connection is a "critical" utility for you.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 23, 2014

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
A friend mentioned that :filez: could lead to nastygrams from your ISP as a new thing this year. I didn't think this was new, but... whatever, might be worth posting http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/illegal-downloaders-beware-you-may-get-a-shock-in-2015-1.2169729

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The ISP now also must divulge your personal information if there's a lawsuit. From the blurb I read it doesn't seem like they have to prove anything, just that they have to file a suit.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Evis posted:

The ISP now also must divulge your personal information if there's a lawsuit. From the blurb I read it doesn't seem like they have to prove anything, just that they have to file a suit.

Voltage actually set a reasonably high bar to clear. From Micheal Geist's blog:

quote:

In this case, the court ruled that there is some evidence that Voltage has been engaged in litigation which may have an improper purposes, but not enough to deny the motion altogether. Instead, the court ordered release of the subscriber names and addresses with the following safeguards:
  • the case will be managed by a Case Management Judge
  • TekSavvy will only disclose subscriber name and address information
  • Voltage will pay all reasonable legal costs incurred by TekSavvy before the release of any information
  • the demand letter to subscribers will include a copy of the court order and “clearly state in bold type that no court has yet made a determination that such subscriber has infringed or is liable in any way for payment of damages”
  • the contents of the demand letter will be approved by the parties (including CIPPIC) and the Case Management Judge
  • any further cases brought against subscribers will also be case managed
  • the information released by TekSavvy will remain confidential, will not be disclosed to other parties, and will not be used for other purposes. The information will not be disclosed to the general public or the media.

Under Notice and Notice:

quote:

Second, the personal information of subscribers is not disclosed to the copyright owner. When the Internet provider forwards the copyright notice, only they know the identity of the subscriber and that information is not disclosed to any third party.

If the copyright owner is unhappy with only sending a notification and wants to proceed with further legal action, they must go to court to obtain an order requiring the Internet provider to reveal the identity of the subscriber. Canadian courts have established strict rules and limitations around such disclosures.

So you get a notice, if they want to sue, they have to convince a judge and get a demand letter approved, have to pay the ISPs costs, and are capped at recovering $5k.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
If that's per-infraction, it could quickly turn quite outrageous for a single album or a TV series, I expect.
It's good that there are some barriers, but they aren't really impossible to overcome. Then imagine being smacked with a $5000 (or more) suit. FUN!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm killing my cable so I figure the $40 a month saved can go towards getting an itunes pass to the few shows that I actually want to watch (Justified, and uh.. that's it).

Of course Telus gave me 3 months cable for free when I called in to cancel it but I just must remember to call in before that is up to cancel it, for real this time!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Are you sure you are not now under a contract for a year+ by virtue of accepting their 3 month promotional offer?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

shadow puppet of a posted:

Are you sure you are not now under a contract for a year+ by virtue of accepting their 3 month promotional offer?

Nah they're at the point where you call in and threaten to cancel they'll just immediately offer (in my case) a 12 month "loyalty credit."

They're in for the long haul to eat up Shaw's market share in TV. When I moved into a new condo construction (as a renter) Telus gave everyone in the building free TV/Internet for a year no strings attached.

They know it's a pain in the rear end to switch, so if they can get you on their service (even at a reduced rate) their subscriber numbers look good on the quarterly reports.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dang you got 12 months? I feel gypped.

I'm not on a contract, I did my 3 year stint and even offered to lock it down for another 3 if I get a free tv or whatever but that's only for new customers, apparently.

Free or not I never really watch much cable anymore anyway. Most tv is just so loving *bad* now. I used to love watching HGTV and food network before they turned into all house flippers and that disgusting fat idiot with the frosted tips sucking down lardburgers 24/7.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I should really go through with actually cancelling. I just signed up for Netflix and there's not much on TV I actually need from Telus. Hell I didn't even unpack my TV for 3 months after moving in, despite paying (virtually nothing at least) for the TV service.

I was paying $80 for Internet and $40 for TV. I called in saying I wanted to cancel, and they gave me $40 off the TV for a year, essentially making it free so long as I kept the Internet. I will keep TV as long as they keep extending that offer, but I wouldn't lose any sleep after cancelling the TV if they refuse.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Same, sounds like we have similar plans - the 50Mbps? Internet speed is fantastic but I do worry about hitting the 400 gig cap. Especially in a month with a Steam sale!

Between Netflix and the occasional iTunes rental/purchase I don't really need cable apart from sports and news - and with Rogers loving up the hockey broadcasts and TSN loving up formula 1 I don't really even need it for sports anymore.

I plugged in my HD OTA antenna to see what I get and no problem getting all the HD stuff in the lower mainland. Looks better than Telus TV too.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Same, sounds like we have similar plans - the 50Mbps? Internet speed is fantastic but I do worry about hitting the 400 gig cap. Especially in a month with a Steam sale!

Between Netflix and the occasional iTunes rental/purchase I don't really need cable apart from sports and news - and with Rogers loving up the hockey broadcasts and TSN loving up formula 1 I don't really even need it for sports anymore.

I plugged in my HD OTA antenna to see what I get and no problem getting all the HD stuff in the lower mainland. Looks better than Telus TV too.

Yeah I have the 50mbps service as well. My place in New West didn't have the bandwidth tracking because it was ETTS, but even here in my new place I don't really care about the caps. The only thing I record now on TV is Food Network series shows, cause nobody cares enough to throw them up online. Just going to keep it until the discounts end.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
So with regards to the new Notice and Notice laws, is there any actual increased risk to people downloading copyrighted materials besides having your ISP sending you the copyright notice? As I understand from reading an article about it, there is no "3 strikes" rule as in the UK as you can just keep getting warned without requirement for an ISP to actually shut your internet off, and the ISP also isn't compelled to divulge the holders of IP addresses unless under court order during a lawsuit.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Haeleus posted:

So with regards to the new Notice and Notice laws, is there any actual increased risk to people downloading copyrighted materials besides having your ISP sending you the copyright notice? As I understand from reading an article about it, there is no "3 strikes" rule as in the UK as you can just keep getting warned without requirement for an ISP to actually shut your internet off, and the ISP also isn't compelled to divulge the holders of IP addresses unless under court order during a lawsuit.

You understand correctly: this is a "notice and notice" regime not a "notice and takedown" regime, so the ISP will send you notices but they aren't compelled to cut you off, to keep the record of that notice or who you are in relation to a given infringement for longer than six months, or to divulge your identity unless by court order. Since the maximum damages award for such a lawsuit from a non-commercial infringer will be $5k - and since judges get discretion in the amount, any awards that come out of the process will be a lot closer to the $100 minimum - it is very unlikely IMO that most downloaders will be considered worth the time to sue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Oh, seriously? That wasn't the case when we signed up for this originally, you had to pay the $20 band fee. Perhaps we should look into dropping voice service (which we keep unplugged anyways) and going dryloop.