Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Hell with the endings, I still like Y3 just because of Okinawa. For some reason I relly liked the laid back section. Then came the time to get medieval on some bastards and it was all good. Well, 2 was still better. The real question is why Sega marketing is so terrible that people in this thread could do 10x better marketing job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
"We need to go out of our way to make everyone want this game" is always a much shittier option than "We need to market this game to people who might want it if they know what it really is" but then you arent taking into account THE METRICS

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think Sega didn't really push how generally intense the story is for the games compared to other beat'em ups. It got marketed as an adventure RPG kinda thing in the US, which it IS but still. People don't understand "RPG but takes place today" in the US. If it's not orcs or Mass Effect people aren't interested. It would have been smarter to handle it the way Ubisoft did Far Cry 3/4 and emphasize the whacky characters and insane fighting moves.

The most impressive thing about that game though is how they introduced three new playable characters at once and all three of them are extremely fun to as. They do a good job of making Kiryu the ultimate badass. I love that the song that plays when you first encounter him is titled The Myth and sounds more like the boss themes from Yakuza 2. :3: Also I like how Kiryu eventually has to fight two of the other playable characters simultaneously. That was such a great "poo poo is about to hit the fan" moment.

oblomov posted:

Hell with the endings, I still like Y3 just because of Okinawa. For some reason I relly liked the laid back section. Then came the time to get medieval on some bastards and it was all good. Well, 2 was still better. The real question is why Sega marketing is so terrible that people in this thread could do 10x better marketing job?

Apparently some actual popular crime novelist wrote the story for Yakuza 2 which is why it's longer and has such a bigger array of characters that each get their little moment while the rest of the series was handled internally. I love the other games just as much but it would be awesome to have a really sprawling Yakuza Papers style tale. "The Yakuza Papers" is awesome if any of y'all haven't watched. It's a seventies film series that's basically the Japanese version of The Godfather, taking place from the forties on which follows a few people through the entire modern rise of the Yakuza in Japan after WWII. They're really good. Similar to Kenzan and Ishin, almost every character in the movies is an analogue to an actual person's life and situations from the forties.

The story in movies in general is pretty much true as is. The first movie at least, Battles Without Honor and Humanity should be required viewing for any fan of the Yakuza games. If you get the set with them all it has a timeline/relationship chart which I'm sure inspired the Yakuza games themselves to let you track who works for/killed/is in a relationship with who. :3: Also it's a raw as hell Yakuza flick that was directed by Kinji "Battle Royale" "Shogun's Samurai" "Fukasaku in the early seventies. Why are you still reading this and not watching it. :(

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 23, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

My favorite thing is that even in a series as crazy as Yakuza, where among other things you fight a pair of Bengal tigers with your bare hands in a golden castle which is itself hidden inside another castle filled with henchmen dressed as Samurai, I can say "Hey, remember that loving stupid thing in Yakuza 4?" and everybody knows exactly what you're talking about. It's THAT dumb.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yakuza is either proof that "nerds love Japanese poo poo" isn't as true as the Internet makes it appear, or that SEGA has the most inept marketing department of all time.

Little bit of column A, lot of column B is what I'm thinking.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Hey, remember the sumo brothel in Yakuza Ishin?

You goddamn wish you did.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

precision posted:

Yakuza is either proof that "nerds love Japanese poo poo" isn't as true as the Internet makes it appear, or that SEGA has the most inept marketing department of all time.

Little bit of column A, lot of column B is what I'm thinking.

I seriously think for that reason that Ishin would do better here than the series proper because of the setting. Any RPG that takes place today is not going to do well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Neo Rasa posted:

I seriously think for that reason that Ishin would do better here than the series proper because of the setting. Any RPG that takes place today is not going to do well.

It's also really hard to get some people to understand that Yakuza is an "RPG" in the first place. They might get off better by marketing it as an "open world adventure game", then people who buy it will be pleasantly surprised by the face smashing action. Especially now that Telltale has made "adventure game" a viable marketing term again.

Ishin would probably do pretty well here, nobody would actually care about the history stuff any more than they do in Assassin's Creed. Like kids these days even know who the Marquis de Sade is?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I feel like calling it open world is a mistake though (even if it is) because that cause Yakuza 1 to really fail hard in the US by drawing immediate comparisons to GTA. So people at first were hyped because they were thinking "GTA in Japan." I was lucky in that I was told it was "Shenmue but you're a gangster" so I went in knowing what to expect and get it a chance and was able to understand how it's the greatest series. :)

Yeah I was saying earlier, I mean even now the PS4 library is small enough that "game where you run around feudal japan with a sword owning everything" would definitely find its niche. Besides AC4, Unity and Shadow of Mordor is there anything else even close to that available?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
"Shenmue aint happening but this is the next best thing" Was definitely what made me play the first game.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I remember seeing Yakuza 1 trailers at TGS and assuming it was Japanese GTA. Then when I got the first one in Japanese I didn't understand anything but the fighting was AWESOME. I couldn't finish it until it was localized and I fell in love with all the sub stories. I still have the original PS2 games with a working fat PS2. I plan on playing through the entire series and capturing it in anticipation of 5.

Super stoked. :3:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
The fact that none of my friends stopped and said "But Caitlin, this is Shenmue but with yakuza instead" pains me to this day. I am so upset I didn't start playing this until I bought Yakuza 4 in one of those buy-2-get-1-free deals at GameStop because I was in a mood for a game about yakuza. I was expecting the Japanese version of Sleeping Dogs.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd really like to see the Japanese take on Sleeping Dogs, that game was great. You put on the right jacket and pants and BAM you're Ryo Hazuki.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
Mahjong why can't I quit you? This is terrible. I'm using my clear data to do nothing but play this. Although I have finally learned how to read those number tiles, so that's a good thing, right?

Once I finish getting everybody to the top of their tournaments, I may be able finally figure out the pachinko slots. :negative: I don't know why, no matter how much I read on them, I can't get it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I just like the dumb animations.
I still have no idea what the hell is up with notAladdin.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Policenaut posted:

That flashback when it's playing out though is god drat intense, if I remember right there's no music or anything just silence and sound effects.

The whole scene from him and Majima looking through the guns through the shoot out is seriously the most well shot scene I've ever seen in a game. And then the idiotic twist.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Neo Rasa posted:

Apparently some actual popular crime novelist wrote the story for Yakuza 2 which is why it's longer and has such a bigger array of characters that each get their little moment while the rest of the series was handled internally. I love the other games just as much but it would be awesome to have a really sprawling Yakuza Papers style tale. "The Yakuza Papers" is awesome if any of y'all haven't watched. It's a seventies film series that's basically the Japanese version of The Godfather, taking place from the forties on which follows a few people through the entire modern rise of the Yakuza in Japan after WWII. They're really good. Similar to Kenzan and Ishin, almost every character in the movies is an analogue to an actual person's life and situations from the forties.

The story in movies in general is pretty much true as is. The first movie at least, Battles Without Honor and Humanity should be required viewing for any fan of the Yakuza games. If you get the set with them all it has a timeline/relationship chart which I'm sure inspired the Yakuza games themselves to let you track who works for/killed/is in a relationship with who. :3: Also it's a raw as hell Yakuza flick that was directed by Kinji "Battle Royale" "Shogun's Samurai" "Fukasaku in the early seventies. Why are you still reading this and not watching it. :(
The Battles Without Honor and Humanity films are awesome, but they don't have a lot in common, in terms of their approach to yakuza culture, with the Yakuza games. The games, and particularly guys like Kiryu and the `period' games, are lifted straight out of the mainstream genre of Japanese yakuza films (called ninkyo eiga or chivalry films). The Fukasaku yakuza films (the Battles Without Honor and Humanity films he cranked out between 1973 and 1975, as well as films like Graveyard of Honor (1975), Yakuza Graveyard (1976)) defined a new, revisionist take on these films. Instead of the stern, serene, honour-above-all yakuza that characterised ninkyo eiga and Yakuza games, Fukasaku's yakuza were calculating, self-serving, greedy, and so on, and no effort made to sugar-coat their problems.

poo poo like what people were just talking about in Saejima in Yakuza 4 are exactly the kind of thing Fukasaku's films were a reaction against. There's no moment of sudden redemption, no deep and abiding code of honor that ennobles the thugs and assassins, no adorable orphans being rescued and their innocence perpetually preserved. The recurring image in the Battles Without Honor and Humanity is the bombed-out ruins of Hiroshima, and that's the approach Fukasaku's yakuza films take to their subject matter---they're part (in Fukasaku's vision) of the bullshit idealism and institutional lies that defined pre-war Japan, which lead to and were destroyed by the war.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Marketing Yakuza as "kinda like Sleeping Dogs" is at least more honest than "like GTA".

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

precision posted:

Marketing Yakuza as "kinda like Sleeping Dogs" is at least more honest than "like GTA".

To be fair to the time SEGA actually tried to market this game, Sleeping Dogs wasn't out and GTA was the big every game must be this quantifier for success. They didn't specifically call it that, but the idea's unfortunately stuck around ever since the first Journo or gamer made the connection and spread it across the internet.

This could change if they actually tried again, but Sony can only do so much.

Tupperwarez posted:

Thanks for this. I enjoy the series for the manly melodrama and over-the-top action, it's like a macho soap opera. But, I also think it's important to be aware that the series paints this romanticized and nationalistic image of the yakuza. There's hints of longing for the good old days sprinkled all throughout the series, between the tiger-punching and hostess-wooing. The Yakuza series is pretty politically conservative, which is a pretty entertaining contrast to all the violence and crime that take place in the setting.

I thought almost every action movie Yakuza emulates was conservative as hell? Like everything from Chuck Norris, or more importantly, the First Die Hard.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 24, 2014

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

SubG posted:

The Battles Without Honor and Humanity films are awesome, but they don't have a lot in common, in terms of their approach to yakuza culture, with the Yakuza games. The games, and particularly guys like Kiryu and the `period' games, are lifted straight out of the mainstream genre of Japanese yakuza films (called ninkyo eiga or chivalry films). The Fukasaku yakuza films (the Battles Without Honor and Humanity films he cranked out between 1973 and 1975, as well as films like Graveyard of Honor (1975), Yakuza Graveyard (1976)) defined a new, revisionist take on these films. Instead of the stern, serene, honour-above-all yakuza that characterised ninkyo eiga and Yakuza games, Fukasaku's yakuza were calculating, self-serving, greedy, and so on, and no effort made to sugar-coat their problems.

poo poo like what people were just talking about in Saejima in Yakuza 4 are exactly the kind of thing Fukasaku's films were a reaction against. There's no moment of sudden redemption, no deep and abiding code of honor that ennobles the thugs and assassins, no adorable orphans being rescued and their innocence perpetually preserved. The recurring image in the Battles Without Honor and Humanity is the bombed-out ruins of Hiroshima, and that's the approach Fukasaku's yakuza films take to their subject matter---they're part (in Fukasaku's vision) of the bullshit idealism and institutional lies that defined pre-war Japan, which lead to and were destroyed by the war.
Thanks for this. I enjoy the series for the manly melodrama and over-the-top action, it's like a macho soap opera. But, I also think it's important to be aware that the series paints this romanticized and nationalistic image of the yakuza. There's hints of longing for the good old days sprinkled all throughout the series, between the tiger-punching and hostess-wooing. The Yakuza series is pretty politically conservative, which is a pretty entertaining contrast to all the violence and crime that take place in the setting.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Speaking of marketing, I was looking through my old stuff and found the TGS Sega guidebooks I got from 2005-2006. Thought I would post some of the Yakuza print ads since they are badass.

:allears:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Plus it all ties in to some EXCELLENT character development, only for the game to suddenly wuss out at the very last minute and handwave it away. It's basically like Saejima wished hard enough and a magical fairy came down and made all those dead guys all better again. That speech he has in the arena about killing someone being something you can never take back was EXCELLENT. Saejima stood out from the other characters in Yakuza because here was a man who was honorable, and yet had to live and repent for doing something terrible in his past, that no matter what he did, would always be hanging over his head. It was a great character angle for a series full of characters who never really did anything bad and were always morally pure crusaders of justice. Oh, but then it turns out that terrible thing never happened, so now he's just a dude who spent decades in prison for no reason.

That is the flaw with RGG. The protags are all DC style superheroes rather than Marvel where the heroes pack heat.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I was always bothered that Tanimura can't even use a gun, and he's a cop. He carries one around just for his taunt but the hardware Kamiyama sells is just beyond him.

E: Nagahama, from Dead Souls, is a really good character concept that I wish they did more with. The idea of a yakuza who wants to be like Kiryu but doesn't get the chance because the actual yakuza life doesn't really give the opportunity to be that badass and honorable is super cool except practically all of it is never shown, and only mentioned in the character entry in Memos.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 24, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Some new Yakuza 0 footage, this time about women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4MLIgtdk4

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tupperwarez posted:

Man, started looking for the movies since I love a lot of the Japanese 60s and 70s crime dramas and the first film is basically MIA. Going to start with the 2nd as its cheap on Amazon.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Only need a game (series) catering hard to fans of 70's 80's Chinese kung-fu and/or wu xia film now.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Policenaut posted:

Chance of localization decreased by 20%. Chance of these mini games staying if localized decreased by 100%.

MrLonghair posted:

Only need a game (series) catering hard to fans of 70's 80's Chinese kung-fu and/or wu xia film now.

Didn't you play new EA UFC game as Bruce Lee? ;)

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

oblomov posted:

Man, started looking for the movies since I love a lot of the Japanese 60s and 70s crime dramas and the first film is basically MIA. Going to start with the 2nd as its cheap on Amazon.

Such a bummer that the Battles Without Honor boxset is out of print. I'm really hoping that Blu Rays come out.

Like SubG said, Fukasaku's work couldn't be more different than these games. I'm assuming you know that Takashi Miike made an actual Sega Yakuza adaptation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9hwuJ4nAcM

Fans of the games would probably be into Miike's other Yakuza films.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Big Bidness posted:

Such a bummer that the Battles Without Honor boxset is out of print. I'm really hoping that Blu Rays come out.

Like SubG said, Fukasaku's work couldn't be more different than these games. I'm assuming you know that Takashi Miike made an actual Sega Yakuza adaptation?

Yeah, seen quite a few of Miike's movies and loved most of them.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Policenaut posted:

They made a phone-sex minigame .
:vince:
Some day, these types of things are gonna go from creepy to funny. Not on Yakuza 0, but maybe some day.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vincent posted:

They made a phone-sex minigame .
:vince:
Some day, these types of things are gonna go from creepy to funny. Not on Yakuza 0, but maybe some day.

The animation of him picking up the phone is so loving Yakuza I can't even.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Big Bidness posted:

Miike's remake of "Graveyard of Honor" is somewhat better than the RGG movie, I think. I'd also recommend Takeshi Kitano's Yakuza movies, namely Hana-bi (Fireworks) and Sonatine. Sonatine should be required watching before getting into the Yakuza games, to be honest.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Joe Gillian posted:

Miike's remake of "Graveyard of Honor" is somewhat better than the RGG movie, I think. I'd also recommend Takeshi Kitano's Yakuza movies, namely Hana-bi (Fireworks) and Sonatine. Sonatine should be required watching before getting into the Yakuza games, to be honest.

I couldn't get into Hana-bi. It just dragged for me. Loved Sonatine though. For Miike, in general some of his movies I do love, but sometimes, man the violence gets way, way too much. Yakuza trilogy though was pretty good.

Forgot to add that Outrage (way of Yakuza) was pretty decent as well.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
If we're talking Beat Takeshi and yakuza, I really loved Brother. :3:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Foam Monkey posted:

Mahjong why can't I quit you? This is terrible. I'm using my clear data to do nothing but play this. Although I have finally learned how to read those number tiles, so that's a good thing, right?

Funny enough, Yakuza is one of the only ways to play actual mahjong, aside from Funtown Mahjong, that I have found. I don't know why it's so hard to find proper standalone mahjong games, in the US, anyway.

I wish I could be bothered to memorize the tiles though. I too would probably do nothing but play it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

oblomov posted:

I couldn't get into Hana-bi. It just dragged for me. Loved Sonatine though. For Miike, in general some of his movies I do love, but sometimes, man the violence gets way, way too much. Yakuza trilogy though was pretty good.
Miike isn't at his best when he's playing it straight. His best yakuza films are the ones that are fever-dream deconstructions of the genre, like the surreal Gozu (2003) or the Dead or Alive trilogy, which starts out as a more or less straight-ahead cops-versus-yakuza film and then the first film ends with what has to be the apotheosis of all final showdown scenes. And then the trilogy goes even further off the rails from there.

And if we're talking about surreal deconstructions of the yakuza film, Suzuki's Branded to Kill (1967) is worth mentioning. Definitely not for everyone, it's difficult to even talk about. But it's as dense a commentary on yakuza-film-as-Japanese-pop-culture as you can find. Worth noting for highlighting the (huge) influence the Bond franchise had on Japanese yakuza narratives of the time.

SubG fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 25, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Caitlin posted:

If we're talking Beat Takeshi and yakuza, I really loved Brother. :3:

Outrage, Beyond Outrage (both on Netflix) and Sonatine (unfortunately not on Netflix anymore) are great.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

precision posted:

Outrage, Beyond Outrage (both on Netflix) and Sonatine (unfortunately not on Netflix anymore) are great.

Sonatine is on Netflix. I just watched it again today. Well, US Netflix at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

SubG posted:

Miike isn't at his best when he's playing it straight. His best yakuza films are the ones that are fever-dream deconstructions of the genre, like the surreal Gozu (2003) or the Dead or Alive trilogy, which starts out as a more or less straight-ahead cops-versus-yakuza film and then the first film ends with what has to be the apotheosis of all final showdown scenes. And then the trilogy goes even further off the rails from there.

And if we're talking about surreal deconstructions of the yakuza film, Suzuki's Branded to Kill (1967) is worth mentioning. Definitely not for everyone, it's difficult to even talk about. But it's as dense a commentary on yakuza-film-as-Japanese-pop-culture as you can find. Worth noting for highlighting the (huge) influence the Bond franchise had on Japanese yakuza narratives of the time.

Yeah, Dead or Alive ending was something else... Good tip on Branded to Kill. Will see if I can find it.

• Locked thread