Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Someone could always make a save file generator like with Mass Effect, where you toggle all the choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Someone could always make a save file generator like with Mass Effect, where you toggle all the choices.

That silently sets the TRUE DOOM MURDERHEAD flag to false.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Someone made a Barkley soundtrack mod for Binding of Isaac Rebirth
http://www.reddit.com/r/themoddingofisaac/comments/2q4gst/the_slamming_of_isaac_rebound/

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

sockpuppetclock posted:

Had a nice dream..

espn.com showcased an *exclusive* web demo of barkley 2 at their annual game jam/showcase. it was set in a classic basketball court,
one of the characters was a basketball player named "Ictal Jordan", who rode little wheels of money that he spun with his feet. here's a picture:

The big reveal is that Barkley 2 isn't a game at all... it's a telepathic dream being broadcast into your mind whether you want it or not. That was indeed the web demo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BiggerJ posted:

In case you're not aware, Barkley 1 has been updated so there's even more information in the save file. Old-version save files are still compatible with Barkley 2, but for full punishment for playing both games, you'll have to play Barkley 1 again.

What, play that crap again?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Here is our inspiration and source for all the Dwarfs on Necron7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II-OZIxS7Z0

At around 32:30 is a good example for what we strive for. My personal favorite and inspiration is the SEARCH Dwarf.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gortarius posted:

Here is our inspiration and source for all the Dwarfs on Necron7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II-OZIxS7Z0

At around 32:30 is a good example for what we strive for. My personal favorite and inspiration is the SEARCH Dwarf.

This game is going to be hotter than I dared dream.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Merry Clispmas? Here is something for y'all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOfK9EX-Res

EDIT:

swimming anime posted:

in the dark future of 666X, there is only gun's

This is........................................ incorrect.

X1 is very skilled with gun's, but he also has great potential that goes beyond gun's.

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 23, 2014

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
That gum you use to cover your cuts is going to come back in style.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nice it even got the dilbert song.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nice it even got the dilbert song.

I hope this stays in the final release.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Gortarius posted:

Merry Clispmas? Here is something for y'all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOfK9EX-Res

this video loads for one second and then crashes. is this intentional and representative of the Barkley 2 experience

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

setafd posted:

this video loads for one second and then crashes. is this intentional and representative of the Barkley 2 experience

Try in another browser, it should work ok. But yes, one second + crash is a good expectation of what B2 holds.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
That is an ancient evil wizard that I feel I can trust.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Gortarius posted:

Try in another browser, it should work ok. But yes, one second + crash is a good expectation of what B2 holds.

I'm downright tepid with anticipation.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A true gamer is able to game and finish homework at the same time, all the while taking frequent breaks to avoid eyestrain.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

I already cracked up at the fingerless posting gloves line. i cant wait for this frikken game!!!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Unguided posted:

A true gamer is able to game and finish homework at the same time, all the while taking frequent breaks to avoid eyestrain.

x114JAM9 comes from a poor house hold, not even able to afford Wacky Mallows, he cant afford the top of the line vidcon goggles that have that feature implemented into it.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
http://youtu.be/mqPz4BmUKKk

Is that the inspiration or is that sort of character creation a trope I missed back in the day?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Chocobo posted:

Is that the inspiration or is that sort of character creation a trope I missed back in the day?

It reminded me of Ogre Battle so I guess it was fairly common

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

That style of character creator goes back to Ultima 4, and the Ultima series is where Japanese game devs pulled all their inspiration from when they started making RPGs which is probably why you see it so much.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Chocobo posted:

Barkley 2 has zero original content/ideas but we are hoping that the games we are ripping off are so obscure no one will notice.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

let's get some drugs from a gypsy to decide our righteous path.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Wezlar posted:

It reminded me of Ogre Battle so I guess it was fairly common

I think especially considering that it's an old wizard what does it, it's safe to say that Ogre Battle was at least something that was being thought about, if not the direct inspiration

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.

Gortarius posted:

Barkley 2 has zero original content/ideas but we are hoping that the games we are ripping off are so obscure no one will notice.

Thank you and the ToG boys for committing yourself to building this gaming journey for all of us. I'm excited to walk its path.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
I wish you had a party so you could have Zeus/Archdemon/Cuchulainn judge your souls after total party wipe. Phantasie style, baby!

Some get resurrected, some turn undead (can't gain levels) and some are condemned to H.E.L.L.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Elder Scrolls did it up through Morrowind.

My favorite would have to be the one from Megatraveller 2. The actual game was kind of rough but the character creation had a ton of depth.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Two Bears High Fiving

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
The character creation has many, many segments and you may or may not get the questions. It's huge. We wanted it to be the best ever. There's all kinds of stuff, I'd say the question thing is the most generic.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

Gortarius posted:

X1 is very skilled with gun's, but he also has great potential that goes beyond gun's.

Even though the obvious answer is b-ball I still really want it to be b-ball. It's all I've ever wanted.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Lemonpieman posted:

Even though the obvious answer is b-ball I still really want it to be b-ball. It's all I've ever wanted.

I thought a b-ball would be all I really want as well. But then I thought of other possibilities such as b-ball mace, b-ball boomerang, and/or b-ball morning star.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

all them t-poses...

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I wish I knew how to ragdoll them and then I would be makking gmod vids all day long.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
A model is like a plate of spicy chicken wings. it needs bones.
A model without rigging is like a plate of boneless chicken wings, the most shameful type of chicken dinner. I wouldn't be caught dead eating boneless chicken wings over the kitchen sink in the dead of night.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I hope this stays in the final release.

Concur'd.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

The Skeep posted:

A model is like a plate of spicy chicken wings. it needs bones.
A model without rigging is like a plate of boneless chicken wings, the most shameful type of chicken dinner. I wouldn't be caught dead eating boneless chicken wings over the kitchen sink in the dead of night.

The bones are there and they are 100% rigged and functional. Problem is, gmod doesn't use bones, it uses physics joints or whatever to do the ragdoll poo poo.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
ctrl-f Disgaea: found

This Kickstarter update is a good update :shobon:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Chef Boyardee posted:

Kickstarter link:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam
Tales of Game's link: www.talesofgames.com
Barkley 1 Mac port link: http://www.talesofgames.com/related_game/barkley-shut-up-jam-gaiden/

Mystical greetings fellow Goons and She-Goons,

I am Eric "cboyardee" Shumaker, one of the lead idiots behind Tales of Game's Studios, an independent vidcon developer whose members have worked on games like Station 37, Sewer Goblet, the winner of the 2011 SA Gamedev contest Mountain of Debt (hi svampson) and of course, the 2008 edutainment tour de force Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden. We are really excited to announce that we are working on a sequel to Barkley Gaiden called The Magical Realm of Tir na Nog - Escape From Necron 7: Revenge of Cuchulainn - The Official Game of the Movie: Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa and we've just launched a Kickstarter for it. We want to make this game something that's not only funnier, but more fun than the original. But what IS Barkley 2? Take my hand and come with me on an edutaining journey...

Barkley 2 is the direct sequel to Barkley 1 and picks up where the original story left off. It tells the tale of X114JAM9, an amnesiac baller searching for his identity amidst the Post-Cyberpocalyptic ruins of Necron 7, the ancient space ziggurat ruled by the Malevolent A.I. Cuchulainn, sworn enemy to all ballers. Forced into fugitivity, X114JAM9 sets off in search of the Cyberdwarf, an enigmatic slam scholar and the only one capable of revealing the truth behind his mysterious past and brilliant b-ball destiny.

We want to do a lot more than just make a funny game with Barkley 2 - we want it to be fun as well. Barkley 2 maintains the same humor, tone and fierce devotion to canon of the first game but gives the player greater choice in the story. It is a non-linear, open ended game that focuses on exploration, discovering secrets and getting lost in the crazy Post-Cyberpocalyptic world. It combines a lot of the ideas of Eastern RPGS, like focus on narrative and characters, with Western RPGs, like making choices within the story, long-term consequences and non-linearity. We want to do a lot of new things with this game and it's pretty safe to say that it's very experimental. Here are just a few things the game features -

Things Change Over Time - People, places and quests change over time; the things you experience might be completely different from what your friends experience because you did them at different times. The official Big Idea behind Barkley 2 is that everyone will have a different game - things changing over time is the backbone of this idea.

Large, Open World - The Necron 7 is a large, open environment with dozens of areas to explore. There are things to find in every corner and secrets everywhere - this is a game all about exploration.

Fast-paced Action RPG Combat - Barkley 2 has mouse-aimed shooting gameplay that takes inspiration from action games like Crimsonland and Soldat, but also RPGs like Dark Souls and Gothic. Stats, classes and an incredibly deep character creation system give you complete control over your character; we want to make Barkley 2 a game that is not only funny, but fun to play.

Randomized Gun's System - Gun's are randomized through a complex system similar to Diablo's or Borderland's, offering millions of possibilities. Shotgun's that shoot ooze, machine gun rocket launchers and gravity rifles are just the tip of the iceberg of our gun's system. Even more than this, you can fuse gun's together in a system similar to demon fusing from the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series. The weapon combinations are nearly unlimited.

DwarfNET - Connect with fellow dwarfs and dwarf enthusiasts on the in-game DwarfNET message board. Jack your cranial USB into the data matrix and search for clues or chat with tech-savvy dwarfs about vidcons, layups and the latest jock news through the amazing power of bio-cybernetic technology.

Lastly, I cannot emphasize enough Tales of Game's commitment to edutainment. Part of the reason it's taken us so long to announce Barkley 2 is that we've been busy honing our edutainment abilities - we would not be able to make the game we are making now four years ago. Our goal is for Tales of Game's to become the pillar of the edutainment industry and dethrone MECC (creator of Oregon Trail (which Barkley 2 utterly destroys)) as the king of edutainment. If you walk away from Barkley 2 without having been edutained, we will have failed in our role as edutainers.

We are also super excited to announce that for the first time ever, Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is playable on the Mac. The Mac port was made by Leon Arnott and he did an amazing job with it. Barkley 1 is completely free and will always be free so please check it out if you haven't played it.

All spoofs, goofs and gaffs aside, it really means a lot to us that you read all this malarkey. Thank you all for having faith in Tales of Game's. I really think we have something remarkable on our hands and I'm glad you want to share it with us, so thank you. We're offering some really good (also some extremely bad) rewards for anyone who is able to contribute. My personal favorite reward is the $100 Cyberdwarf Body Pillow, although I'm also really excited to man the $150 Tales of Game's Tip Line when the game is out too. Take a look at the rewards section on our Kickstarter for more info!

Seriously, thank you all for helping to make this game happen. We've been wanting to make it for years - since before the original Barkley even came out - and the fact that we finally have the means to do this is amazing. I know this has been said a million times on a million different Kickstarters before, but we would not be able to make this without you, so thank you!!!!!!!!!! I know quite a few of us are Proud, Patriotic Goon's and we're all happy to answer any questions you may have!!

Screenshots

FAQ -

How are you guys selling this game if it breaks so many copyrights?
We are being incredibly careful about copyrights - we've talked to lawyers and have been given the okay. Everything we're doing is completely legal; we're not using ripped art and assets this time around and you'll notice we've been very careful about throwing around Charles Barkley's name!!

What engine is Barkley 2 being made in?
Barkley 2 is being made in Game Maker, the same engine the original was made in. We have been discussing the possibility of importing saves from the original Barkley, which would be possible in GM. . .

When will the game be released?
The current estimate is late 2013 or early 2014. We've done a lot of good work so far but we've got a long way to go!

Why is Barkley 2 a commercial game when the original was free?
We made the original Barkley when we were (wise and powerful) youngsters with few responsibilities or expenses. Unfortunately, we have been thrust into the cruel world of adults, where we have expenses, bills, school payments and other stupid BS the man does to keep us down. Ideally, Barkley 2 would be a free game just like the original, but unfortunately we just can't do that. That's a big part of the reason why it's taken us so long to work on this, because we just did not have the capital means to make it!

Why are you making Barkley 2 an Action RPG instead of a turn-based JRPG?
There are a lot of reasons! First is that this is the game we want to make and it's been our intention to make Barkley 2 an action RPG since before the original Barkley was even out. We have a lot of really great ideas to make this a game that is as fun as it is funny, which wasn't really the case with the original. Lastly, turn-based RPGs where you only control one character generally aren't very fun!

Is this a game for TREND, CORPORATE ATTITUDE and STONER?
No, this is not for TREND. Not for CORPORATE ATTITUDE. Not for STONER. Only TRUE DOOM-MURDERHEADS.

will there be joke's ?
NO.

Your game will never be released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Pewdiepie posted:

Your game will never be released.
I can wait.