Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Does the rocket have landing legs/SAS? you might be able to use a combination to right it without breaking too much stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

Can you see space stations and such from Kerbin if you've got them in a Low-Kerbin Orbit?

With a mod, you can!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/kerbalspaceprogram?s=12#more-products

3d Printed Kerbal statuettes.

:getin:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

karl fungus posted:

What can be done if a small rocket lands sideways on the Mun? If I try to roll it down a hill or take off from the ground I just explode. :(

If you are very careful with your throttle, you can usually gently slide up a hill until you crest it, then punch it and head east to get into orbit.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Moon rotates so slow that pretty much negates the East Boost. Any direction will do, unless you need to rendezvous with a craft in orbit, or have really tight margins and want to land at KSC (then west might be slightly better).

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I reloaded to a quicksave and managed to just barely land the rocket upright. Like, it was vibrating like crazy. Still, I got my second Mun landing and even got back alive this time! :jeb:

Still forgot a ladder, but then I remembered I could just use a jetpack!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Moon rotates so slow that pretty much negates the East Boost. Any direction will do, unless you need to rendezvous with a craft in orbit, or have really tight margins and want to land at KSC (then west might be slightly better).

For returning to Kerbin, it doesn't actually matter which direction you're orbiting the moon, just that you exit its SOI on the retrogade side of the moon.

As for hitting KSC proper, that's just a matter of choosing your return window properly, just like NASA did during Apollo.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I don't like tall rockets so I made some science pods to land on the Mun: http://imgur.com/a/gwQUd

Kerbals didn't know what wheels were at the time of this mission, so I had to fling myself 6km with EVA RCS (that's how far apart the pods were). :negative:

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I'm on my third Mun landing. However, I hit a bit of a sticky situation and accidentally broke off one of my three fuel tank/engine stacks.

Can I get Jeb home alive?

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Jeb CAN get home alive! :jeb:

Now to aim for Minmus!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fucknag posted:

For returning to Kerbin, it doesn't actually matter which direction you're orbiting the moon, just that you exit its SOI on the retrogade side of the moon.

As for hitting KSC proper, that's just a matter of choosing your return window properly, just like NASA did during Apollo.

I don't use quicksave/reload and haven't worked out a system for hitting targets from that high up, so I aerobrake into a low orbit of around 200km before I go in for landing and usually land within 15km of the center (depending on craft parts, some seem to have changed this version).

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Just got this game, and I spent about an hour or so going through the tutorials. I got to the one about going from the earth to the moon and I had to stop because I could not figure out what it's trying to get me to do. Somehow adjust the size of my orbit until it matches up with the orbit of the moon? So I'm going to watch the tutorials in the OP, but man. I remember trying this out early in it's development, and it was just basically a rocket crashing simulator.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

HogX posted:

basically a rocket crashing simulator.

Still is.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
How are you supposed to get to Minmus? It has some weird orbit out of plane, and I can't get any maneuvers to lead into it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You have to adjust your orbital plane to match, or else time your transfer carefully enough that you catch it when it crosses your plane.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Plane change maneuvers are most efficient at low velocities and intercept maneuvers are most efficient far from your target. To get to Minmus or other out-of-plane objects, you need to think of the best time and place to perform those maneuvers.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

karl fungus posted:

How are you supposed to get to Minmus? It has some weird orbit out of plane, and I can't get any maneuvers to lead into it.

Assuming you're orbiting Kerbin. Select Minmus as your target. Your orbit should now include two markers AN and DN, (ascending and descending node) mousing over them will show you how many degrees you're off plane from your target. These are also the points where you want to burn up or down relative to your orbit to match the plane of your target (the purple markers on your nav ball). Watch in map view to make sure you're burning the right way, I always seem to point at the wrong one. :downs:. Once its zeroed out (or close to it, 0.1 to 0.3 should be fine for Kerbin to Minmus transfers) match orbit with it like you would Mun. This works for everything off plane from your current orbit and mastering it is half the fun of learning to dock ships later on. (I use the term "fun" loosely.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

protip: if you're intercepting ie minmus and you're transferring from a non-matched inclination, don't bother matching before your transfer burn. just burn til your apoapsis is at the height of the target body's orbit, then burn normal/antinormal when you're 90 degrees from periapsis with respect to kerbin's center. gives you the most bang for your delta V buck.

remember, when doing hohman transfers, your inclination doesn't have to precisely match that of your target, it just has to be such that your apoapsis or other intercept passes through the target SOI at the right time.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Does anyone here use the Renaissance Compilation pack? As far as I can tell, it should be compatible with 0.90 so I'm going to give it a try. I'm also going to install MechJeb, Deadly Re-entry, and that cool mod that adds sparks and poo poo to the Ork rockets I'm making. Anyone had any luck with the Renaissance pack?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I just started playing this again after a very long hiatus, and while I like the contract missions, I'm getting a little annoyed by the "Go here and do science" missions. I've accepted a couple which want me to fly to an area then get an EVA sample. The problem is that the only way I know of to get to the area (on Kerbin) is to press M and kind of eye-ball it. This seems to be ok for "collect cockpit readings under XYZ meters" missions, but the collection area for the EVA ones seem REALLY REALLY small, and I'm getting frustrating flying around where I'm almost certain the point is and not getting a message about entering/exiting.

Is there any sort of way to enable waypoints on the nav ball for this, so that I can do this while flying normally?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Volmarias posted:

I just started playing this again after a very long hiatus, and while I like the contract missions, I'm getting a little annoyed by the "Go here and do science" missions. I've accepted a couple which want me to fly to an area then get an EVA sample. The problem is that the only way I know of to get to the area (on Kerbin) is to press M and kind of eye-ball it. This seems to be ok for "collect cockpit readings under XYZ meters" missions, but the collection area for the EVA ones seem REALLY REALLY small, and I'm getting frustrating flying around where I'm almost certain the point is and not getting a message about entering/exiting.

Is there any sort of way to enable waypoints on the nav ball for this, so that I can do this while flying normally?

If you click on the marker in map mode, you can enable navigation to it and it will show up on your navball. Doesn't do jack poo poo when you're on EVA though so you have to trial and error your way to the area with a few flybys to get it situated in your head. Arsonide has made mention of adding an in-world demarcation to make it easier to find the exact spot.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Volmarias posted:

With regards to the EVA/surface ones, someone upthread suggested putting a probe core on your plane, flying with a level 1 engineer, and loading up on parachutes. As soon as you get the message about "entering WHEREVER" slam on X to cut engines and spacebar to use parachutes. Then have your engineer repack them on the ground.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Thank you all for the Minmus advice! I finally landed there on my first try! Unfortunately it was the dark side, but the gravity was so weak that I made a hard landing just fine. Then I used Mun to get me back on orbital plane with Kerbin. :jeb:

By the way, here is the big dumb rocket that got me to Mun three times and now to Minmus. Please tell me how dumb it looks.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

karl fungus posted:

By the way, here is the big dumb rocket that got me to Mun three times and now to Minmus. Please tell me how dumb it looks.

I like it. All of my rockets end up looking dumb/the same. The triple stack in the center is cool looking, I'm going to do that next time.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

karl fungus posted:

Thank you all for the Minmus advice! I finally landed there on my first try! Unfortunately it was the dark side, but the gravity was so weak that I made a hard landing just fine. Then I used Mun to get me back on orbital plane with Kerbin. :jeb:

It looks fine but you honestly don't need all that fuel to land and return from Kerbin's moons. Especially Minimus. Lighter landers with small engines = more dV for less fuel and are much easier to control. Also, when making landers, it's good to engineer them to have a wide base and a low center of mass. It makes for less tipping over after landing!

Here's an example of something I recently used to go to Mun:

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 24, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Clearly that is way too complicated.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Green Calx posted:

Some crazy rear end poo poo example of something simple and easy:

Fixed that for you. Not that explosions are bad; but, what the hell is going on in this picture?

That small, in-line rockomax 0.625m engine is great for Mun and Minmus (0.1 tonnes, thrusty, and not-poo poo Isp). Overall, it is probably only second to the LV-N, unless we are talking massive craft with the LV-909.

e:wrong pic

ee: did they balance the LF:LO in that smallest 1.23m tank? Liquid tanks are quite expensive, too.

Eee:

Alaan posted:

Clearly that is way too complicated.

In-line orange rockomax may be better.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 24, 2014

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Fixed that for you. Not that explosions are bad; but, what the hell is going on in this picture?

That's my transfer stage exploding into the Mun. I used it to kill my horizontal velocity before seperating the lander.

Let me explain with pictures because everyone likes pictures:

Oh, and yeah, that's something even far beyond what you actually need to land and return back to Kerbin. Sorry for giving a complicated example but it's the only lander I had a screenshot of in my folder. :shrug:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

The engine shroud left on the top of it is going to give me nightmares.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Found this article and thought it might be of interest to you guys

Would this work in Kerbal to save delta vees?

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/12/we-found-a-new-and-cheaper-way-to-get-to-mars/

Instead of shooting for the location Mars will be in its orbit where the spacecraft will meet it, as is conventionally done with Hohmann transfers, a spacecraft is casually lobbed into a Mars-like orbit so that it flies ahead of the planet. Although launch and cruise costs remain the same, the big burn to slow down and hit the Martian bull's-eye—as in the Hohmann scenario—is done away with. For ballistic capture, the spacecraft cruises a bit slower than Mars itself as the planet runs its orbital lap around the sun. Mars eventually creeps up on the spacecraft, gravitationally snagging it into a planetary orbit.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

karl fungus posted:

That is a preposterously powerful rocket for going to the Mun.

Awesome.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Little Duna rocket

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
What's the mod that adds those swish fairings to cover your payload?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Procedural fairings.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Procedural Fairings. It's neat and practically mandatory if you use FAR.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Elukka posted:

Little Duna rocket

I keep seeing those Kerbal Engineer computers in my parts list and I have absolutely no idea what they do.

What do they do?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm not sure but it looked neat so I slapped it on.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

AceClown posted:

I keep seeing those Kerbal Engineer computers in my parts list and I have absolutely no idea what they do.

What do they do?

KER has an option to only enable the engineering functions on crafts that have the computer attached. In the pre-1.0 versions they were required, unless you used ModuleManager to add the Engineer-module to all your pods etc.

I think the main reason they are still there is to make sure old craft files don't break.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

nielsm posted:

KER has an option to only enable the engineering functions on crafts that have the computer attached. In the pre-1.0 versions they were required, unless you used ModuleManager to add the Engineer-module to all your pods etc.

I think the main reason they are still there is to make sure old craft files don't break.

Ahh that would explain why they're not documented

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Elukka posted:

I'm not sure but it looked neat so I slapped it on.

Best reason.