Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

Dent definitely knows right from wrong, he just believes that the choices we make all come down to fate. If his coin comes up tails and he ends up shooting somebody, he understands that it was morally wrong, but lady luck has made her choice.

It's also important to note that, I don't think the coin decides 'what do I do'. Like you can't tell him to stab himself in the face with a broken bottle and then he has to flip a coin to decide if he should do it. The coin just decides which 'personality' makes the call for this or that decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
He definitely uses the coin to decide what to do. Even in Arkham City, he flips the coin to see whether or not he should let Catwoman go before he gets ready to shoot her. And he also flips to see whether or not he should talk to Strange in the interview tapes, which is why Strange had it taken away.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Riiight, but the point is that the coin doesn't have a list of "If heads, do this, if tails, do this." His split personalities each make a decision as to what a heads or a tails will represent, and then the coin flip determines that.

So, for example, in the catwoman situation Harvey's "good" personality might want to let bygones be bygones, and not murder an innocent (in a manner of speaking...) woman. His evil side might want to drop catwoman in acid. Out of all the possible permutations of what heads and tails could mean, (Bake her a cake/steal her wallet, give her what she came for/cut off her hands, team up with her/have her pulled apart by a team of horses) those two specific outcomes have been decided by Harvey's dual personalities. It's not like Catwoman could say, "Ok, you got me. Heads you let me go, tails you hit me a few times and throw me in a dumpster", he's going to choose what he wants heads and tails to mean.

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cador_2004 posted:

I disagree. It can be noted that the vial was full before the blast, and was half full after. Batman was cured by someone while he was out of it. Though that quickly turns things into wild mass guessing territory trying to figure out who did it, personally my money's on Talia. I mean come on, why wouldn't she have bullet-proof armor?

Batman was cured onscreen when he drank some of the cure, making the vial at half full before the blast.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Captain Bravo posted:

(perfect explanation)

Exactly this; in the specific case of the courtroom, both clean and scar are pissed - she broke in and was trying to steal his stuff. Scar wants to shoot her in the head, right now, as a warning to anyone else who dares screw with him. Clean wants to put her on trial and execute her with due process, because he wants to feel like justice is being properly served [in shooting her in the head]. Neither side is inclined to let her go. He flips the coin, it comes up clean, "This court is now in session."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ohh, I see. That makes a lot more sense.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Christmas comes early. Surprise! Catwoman's got a bit of post-game to get through, Calendar Man's got some hot dates, and there's THE TOUGHEST COMBAT CHALLENGE MAP.

The Cat's Meow/Polsy - Interview tape: Catwoman 3

Bonus 2: 12 Calendar Days of Christmas/Polsy

DLC Combat Challenge:Joker's Carnival/Polsy with Catwoman

This challenge map was tough to get into, took me about an hour to get this run from having never done it before. Discendo Vox thought he'd be clever and challenge me to do it with Catwoman, so I recorded this maybe a little after I started the LP. WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW? It's a different kind of map, you want to crank your combo multiplier as quick as possible to act as score insurance in case you get hit. 20 points for a critical strike doesn't seem like much but 20x200 adds up pretty quick, and one million is a lot of points. Bank it as soon as the Titan thug starts walking out, otherwise you're wasting time/scoring opportunities. And you might get hit and lose it, and losing 500K points and a good minute+ in time is tragic. There's an endurance combat map that just goes as long as you can, this one you're on a time limit. I wouldn't even worry much about the variation bonuses, when you're going for a million a thousand is kind of worthless. Something worth noting however is that any time a thug takes a gun from the case at level 4, hitting him and making him drop it will make everyone forget about it. I'm not too sure why. You can also take out the Joker with a beatdown takedown if you're so inclined, he's immune to pretty much everything else. Getting that much free time can be dicey though.

It's also not very upgrade dependent, I got this score on my newer file about a month back. The file that didn't have any Catwoman combat upgrades aside from critical strikes.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
"If I get my hands on that richboy Bruce Wayne I'll buy me an instant parole"

Yes, because you can totally bribe yourself out of this place, which is why Bruce Wayne totally isn't in there anymore, oh wait.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Man, Strange is one /sick/ sadistic son of a bitch...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

For a guy who was supposed to be a major gang leader, Two Face didn't have a lot of presence in this game, huh?

I'm also surprised that Catwoman has absolutely NOTHING to say about Joker dying.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

The thing is, Two-Face isn't a major gang leader in Arkham City. The turf war is pretty much exclusively between Joker and Penguin - Harvey only has the area around the courthouse in Park Row to call his own (the further you get from the Courthouse in Park Row, the fewer Two-Face thugs you run into. Most of them are faction-less orange jumpsuited thugs). Penguin doesn't consider him enough of a threat to focus on him but you can bet that if he'd managed to wipe out Joker, he would have turned around and crushed Two-Face's little holdings. Two-Face's men are extremely loyal to him and noisy about how they're going to take over, but the gang doesn't actually have much in the way of power until Batman takes Penguin out and Two-Face's gang is able to push into the Bowery and the Museum.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I'd never seen that DLC before, but that looks fun as hell. Man, I'm really rusty at Arkham combat but watching some of these videos is really making me want to go back and play some challenge maps.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm also surprised that Catwoman has absolutely NOTHING to say about Joker dying.

She probably just muttered "loving finally" under her breath like everyone else in Gotham off-camera.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if Strange will be credited with killing Joker seeing as his body was found in the aftermath of Protocol 10 as far as the general public of Gotham knows.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I really hated the Catwoman - TwoFace section. I didn't enjoy playing Catwoman at the best of times, but changing the rules of a Predator section at the end of the game was just aggravating.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah, Two-Face really is kind of this game's whipping boy. I don't know much about the character, but this game makes him look like a total pushover.

Although that last Predator room is super-annoying because the thugs always respawn, so you can't thin out the patrols at all, and Two-Face will constantly blind-fire at hiding spots, so if you aren't careful he can just randomly pick the place you're hiding and start shelling it. Also, in the video all the thugs were pretty grouped up, but that never happens for me when I play this. They always spread out everywhere whenever I try this thing.

EDIT:

quote:

I wonder if Strange will be credited with killing Joker seeing as his body was found in the aftermath of Protocol 10 as far as the general public of Gotham knows.

I think the idea is supposed to be that, with Batman carrying the body out and all, most people believe Batman killed him.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh yes, one last insulting thing re. Catwoman's design that was even worse than I remembered it; the battle damage. Batman's battle damage does not show nearly as much skin as Selina's.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Samovar posted:

Oh yes, one last insulting thing re. Catwoman's design that was even worse than I remembered it; the battle damage. Batman's battle damage does not show nearly as much skin as Selina's.

It also looks terrible. I know all the 'battle damage' are just decals slapped on top of the normal texture, but it's really obvious with her.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Nalesh posted:

"If I get my hands on that richboy Bruce Wayne I'll buy me an instant parole"

Yes, because you can totally bribe yourself out of this place, which is why Bruce Wayne totally isn't in there anymore, oh wait.

Cobblepot's got the hookup, and he also wants Wayne like nobody else. If a thug were able to nab Wayne penguin could probably find a way to make an escape happen.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

DLC Combat Challenge:Joker's Carnival/Polsy with Catwoman

This challenge map was tough to get into, took me about an hour to get this run from having never done it before. Discendo Vox thought he'd be clever and challenge me to do it with Catwoman, so I recorded this maybe a little after I started the LP.
There's a trick to this map, actually (which doctor hate! :D) - the bank actually has 8 levels. If you run the whole gauntlet without cashing in, right after defeating Titan thug you'll be rewarded with a million points and about three minutes of extra time, after which bank resets and you can run the whole gauntlet again, if you're feeling masochistic today :)

Me, I just spent that three extra minutes beating thugs without going above lv3 and without moving the camera too much (so the game doesn't get the chance to remove bodies), so every defeated thugs ends up on the growing pile of bodies :D

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Gothsheep posted:

It also looks terrible. I know all the 'battle damage' are just decals slapped on top of the normal texture, but it's really obvious with her.

How did she manage to get rips through the front (and back!) of her outfit which show burns and cuts, but her completely exposed bosom is just a little dirty?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
gently caress that last predator room just because when I did it on my first go-around, I didn't realize the thugs were respawning until I had gotten accidentally shot down to a sliver of health, and only then did I realize that Harvey was not an instant KO as soon as you hit the takedown button behind him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

How did she manage to get rips through the front (and back!) of her outfit which show burns and cuts, but her completely exposed bosom is just a little dirty?

It's so obviously simple. Men get Battle Damage. Women get Sexy Battle Damage.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

dscruffy1 posted:

The Cat's Meow/Polsy - Interview tape: Catwoman 3
Someone get two face and his goons a thesaurus. They seem to be stuck on 'bitch'.

Seriously would it kill them to think of a different prejorative to use for her? I mean I don't think anyone called her the obvious "pussy" yet. Unless that's somehow paradoxically more offensive than calling her a bitch.

Or just not refer to the only actively visible female character like that constantly, that would be even better.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 24, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

Someone get two face and his goons a thesaurus. They seem to be stuck on 'bitch'.

Seriously would it kill them to think of a different prejorative to use for her? I mean I don't think anyone called her the obvious "pussy" yet. Unless that's somehow paradoxically more offensive than calling her a bitch.

Or just not refer to the only actively visible female character like that constantly, that would be even better.

Hey, you can't use dirtier, worse pejoratives with a T rating! Think of the bitches children! They do call her "the Cat" occasionally, presumably because it's so easy to tell the voice actors to go "Okay do that 'It's the Bat!' line again, but this time change one letter."

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Makes me wonder why Two-Face is in the game to begin with. All that effort of modeling him, his thugs, the courthouse, all their dialogue, the incidental dialogue lines and stuff... and for what? A glorified tutorial and a DLC mediocre predator mission.

Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kurieg posted:

Calling her a pussy would almost certainly offend more people than calling her a bitch. Also, what else exactly should they call her? What would you call the crazy kung-fu cat lady who is stealing your poo poo and beating up all of your guys?

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

TwoPair posted:

Hey, you can't use dirtier, worse pejoratives with a T rating! Think of the bitches children! They do call her "the Cat" occasionally, presumably because it's so easy to tell the voice actors to go "Okay do that 'It's the Bat!' line again, but this time change one letter."

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Calling her a pussy would almost certainly offend more people than calling her a bitch. Also, what else exactly should they call her? What would you call the crazy kung-fu cat lady who is stealing your poo poo and beating up all of your guys?

"It's that Witch!"

:v:

kaosdrachen posted:

Man, Strange is one /sick/ sadistic son of a bitch...

Yeah... he gives the order to kill dozens of inmates (with some political prisoners in the mix), but him menacing a single woman makes you realize that?

Not saying he is not a son of a bitch, just saying you should've realized it waaaayy sooner...

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm not convinced he even had whats-her-name. We only have his word for it. I mean I wouldn't put it past him. The guy will kidnap the mayor right out of his house and throw him in that prison, but still, all we know is that he got on the radio and was like, "Hey, you know that girl I told you to target that you're totally aiming at right now just nod your head if you know exactly what I'm talking about? Perfect, now get ready to pull the trigger just keep getting ready I'll give you the signal any second now..."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Strange most definitely would've had Holly killed, just so that HE'D know that he did it.

Kurieg posted:

The worst thing is that it's not exclusive to Catwoman. A number of Joker's thugs refer to Harley that way, as well as a few of the female doctors. I think someone even says that about Poison Ivy, too.

And then you have Jack Ryder saying things like "No way I'm going to let that Vale bitch steal my story".

On the topic of Vicki Vale, how is it that she didn't get thrown into Arkham City at the beginning of the game, anyway? Jack Ryder did, but not her, even though she was there at Bruce's protest.

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011

Nalesh posted:

I remember watching something from one of the animated series where luthor like mind controls flash, takes off his mask and pretty much goes "I have no idea who this is" :v:

I remember the first time I saw that episode, I didn't see how it ended, because after Lex said that, I was laughing so hard for the next ~45 minutes that I missed the rest of the show. Ended up finding it on Youtube and bookmarking it, so whenever I'm feeling down, I can just watch it and start laughing hysterically again for a while. Cheers me right up.

I also got the $10 Batman Bundle, despite the fact that I really have no idea what a "Season Pass" even is, or does?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

thetrueoskar posted:

I also got the $10 Batman Bundle, despite the fact that I really have no idea what a "Season Pass" even is, or does?
Steamese for All DLC, I believe.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Steamese for All DLC, I believe.

Unless you're gearbox :v:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Steamese for Known-At-Release DLC might be better translation, or did Gearbox skip some when they went straight to... Dragon Keep?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

GuyUpNorth posted:

Steamese for Known-At-Release DLC might be better translation, or did Gearbox skip some when they went straight to... Dragon Keep?

unless I'm mistaken they had two season passes :v:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Strange most definitely would've had Holly killed, just so that HE'D know that he did it.

The worst thing is that it's not exclusive to Catwoman. A number of Joker's thugs refer to Harley that way, as well as a few of the female doctors. I think someone even says that about Poison Ivy, too.

And then you have Jack Ryder saying things like "No way I'm going to let that Vale bitch steal my story".

On the topic of Vicki Vale, how is it that she didn't get thrown into Arkham City at the beginning of the game, anyway? Jack Ryder did, but not her, even though she was there at Bruce's protest.
Vicki isn't a superhero. Jack Ryder is.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Nalesh posted:

unless I'm mistaken they had two season passes :v:

Not quite, Borderlands 2 had a season pass which extended to the 4 campaign DLC's, everything else was stated to not be a part of it, for what it's worth, most of the extra stuff was really cheap, but, that's for the Borderlands thread!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It's not that they call her a bitch that bothers me. It's that they call her a bitch every 10 seconds, and they call her, Ivy, and Harley bitches pretty much every single time they talk about them, and it's just loving constant. It's grating and it's unnecessary. It's just Rocksteady trying to be grim and gritty by throwing curse words every chance they get and it makes the game really annoying to play as a woman.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There were loads of reporters there and Jack Ryder's the only reporter we see nabbed. If Strange knows about the Creeper then Ryder was probably targeted deliberately and the other reporters ignored.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

Vicki isn't a superhero. Jack Ryder is.

CuwiKhons posted:

If Strange knows about the Creeper

Oh right.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Ryder's the Creeper in the Arkham-verse... yet, at least. He probably wouldn't be getting his rear end kicked and cowering whenever we see him if he had superpowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I thought there was a Riddle in Asylum relating him to the Creeper, unless I'm just thinking of the corresponding profile that Scruffy put up.

• Locked thread