Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished my first squad of Stormtroopers (don't you dare call them Militarum Tempestus!) for my Valhallans:

And just some detail of the bases, which have some grody old weathered helmets on them:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hey SRM, I really dig that color theme. The white armor and olive green bolters combo rocks.

Ugleb posted:

As a bit of background, I have recently been lured back down the rabbit hole of wargaming and model painting (after about 15 years away) and am starting up a PHR army for Dropzone Commander. I'm looking for some advice/input on my colour scheme, I'm trying to keep it simple and subtle. I started with the vague idea of urban camo and went down a two-tone grey path.

My concern is that I am at risk of mastering 'urban camo' to the point where my army may blend into the tabletop and be very missable. While I might win more games if the enemy can't tell where my units are, I think I'd rather have a cool-looking set of models! So, I'm looking for some pointers on my progress so far. Does this scheme work for you? What could/should I do next?

Sup PHR buddy. I'm doing my theme exactly the opposite of yours- bight primary colors. That said, most DZC themes are trying to be realistic, so look at actual urban camouflage for inspiration.

Urban often has blues and whites in addition to grey. Right now all your colors compliment each other, which makes for a nice subtle look, but if you use an accent color used in urban camo (white or light blue) it will draw the eye while keeping your 'realistic' theme.

I'd consider using grey colors that both share blue undertones (like 105 + 107 from Numlock's link). For an accent a white or cool white would really go well if you put it on just a few areas such as the cockpits. For the metal parts you can stick with silver, tin, or copper. Also consider hitting all the parts except the white with a burnt umber or black wash to bring out the contrast. As for highlights, I recommend drybrushing a bright metallic silver. This is super easy and will make your models 'pop' while givingthem a semi-worn look. Best of all, it won't look out of place on a realistic urban theme like clean line highlights would.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

SRM posted:

Nice job!

Where are their greatcoats and fluffy hats? They look cold :ohdear:

(Nice job!)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

Finished my first squad of Stormtroopers (don't you dare call them Militarum Tempestus!) for my Valhallans:
No impressed - they were released well after you were born. Try again with the old plastic Stormtroopers and come back.

Awesome as usual. :)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

T-35 stronk tank :ussr:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Frobbe posted:

i'm making progress on my chimera! after applying the Vallejo Cold Grey basecoat, and testing my old camo scheme on another chimera, i decided to ditch the camo scheme for a grey tank instead. I've slapped nuln oil in all the crevices and highlighted it with Vallejo Ghost grey. Really liking this so far, and once i start adding in all the various details on the tank, i'm sure it'll look hella rad!

This chimera has sat unpained for nigh on 5 years, and the autocannon turret about as long :v

1) Autocannons on Chimeras are really powerful, I'm glad they aren't ubiquitous.

2) How are you going to paint the treads? Plenty of options for colors that go well with grey.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

After a few busy weeks did some painting. This time a Rackham, Griffin Darkness Hunter.

Got some bits I need to touch up (photography betrays all), but other wise it got me back into the swing of things as I work on more important things.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Post 9-11 User posted:

1) Autocannons on Chimeras are really powerful, I'm glad they aren't ubiquitous.

2) How are you going to paint the treads? Plenty of options for colors that go well with grey.

i'm pondering going with a brass trim like on my other chimeras, then dirty them right the gently caress up with city/ruin themed dirt/dust/rubble.

one of my old chimeras, that i might redo in my new color scheme. the black you see there is the primer :) and that was before i dared to do proper highlighting and whatnot.

also more autocannons more better. for 5 points they're essential!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Yay T-35s, everyone's favourite useless interbellum money sink. How come the one in the back has no antenna? Also, are there no rear facing machineguns in the main turrets in this kit?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

..And does anyone make it in 1/56?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

thespaceinvader posted:

Where are their greatcoats and fluffy hats? They look cold :ohdear:

(Nice job!)
Well it was the helmets or the berets, and I think they'd be even chillier in those! As an added bonus, I can save the berets for the Spetsnaz Scout Marines I plan to add some day.

berzerkmonkey posted:

No impressed - they were released well after you were born. Try again with the old plastic Stormtroopers and come back.

Awesome as usual. :)
Painting models from this decade has seriously been a trip, there's so much more detail I need to get used to and paint around that I'm totally not used to! And besides, if I get any of the old plastic stormies, they're going in with my 2nd ed Cadians :v:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yay T-35s, everyone's favourite useless interbellum money sink. How come the one in the back has no antenna? Also, are there no rear facing machineguns in the main turrets in this kit?

From what I've read often only the company/battalion command tanks would have the horseshoe antenna, because in the pre-war period they were the only ones with transmitters. I think by the time 1939 rolls around they all had both but they didn't need the huge rear end horseshoe antennas, but I think it looked cool so that's how I modeled them.

There were rear turret machine-guns provided in the kit but I ended up using them on a pile of Zvelda T-34's I had to give them obvious hull machineguns.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

Well it was the helmets or the berets, and I think they'd be even chillier in those! As an added bonus, I can save the berets for the Spetsnaz Scout Marines I plan to add some day.

Painting models from this decade has seriously been a trip, there's so much more detail I need to get used to and paint around that I'm totally not used to! And besides, if I get any of the old plastic stormies, they're going in with my 2nd ed Cadians :v:

I used to have a set - I'll see if I can find them to give to you. I can't remember if I sold them or not...

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Thanks for the PHR colour scheme tips Numlock & BULBASOR, I'm chewing them over!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Numlock posted:

From what I've read often only the company/battalion command tanks would have the horseshoe antenna, because in the pre-war period they were the only ones with transmitters. I think by the time 1939 rolls around they all had both but they didn't need the huge rear end horseshoe antennas, but I think it looked cool so that's how I modeled them.

There were rear turret machine-guns provided in the kit but I ended up using them on a pile of Zvelda T-34's I had to give them obvious hull machineguns.

Only tanks that were supposed to be used in large units (T-26, BT) had radios restricted to platoon commanders and above, tanks that were theoretically subordinate to Stavka and could be used independently all had radios (T-28, T-35). You're correct to assume that late model T-35s didn't have huge antennas, but they still had visible external ones.

You can see it in this photo, it's that ball in a cup looking device to the left of the hatch.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well, I couldn't find a 1/56 or 28mm T-35, but I did find a 1:50 papercraft kit here:

(not mine)

I've got to admit this looks a lot better than I thought a papercraft could. I might make this my big fun Summer project, using the plans as plasticard templates, chopping up a FOR RENT sign and bending paperclips.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

I used to have a set - I'll see if I can find them to give to you. I can't remember if I sold them or not...

Dooe! Let me know if they turn up, I'd gladly take them off your hands.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I've started doing commissions again, feels great to be painting Warmachine stuff!

I have a question though: a potential commission wants this crest on his knights, and I told him no way I could paint this by hand.

He said if I couldn't paint it by hand, then he won't hire me. I said if I could paint that well freehand, I'd be winning competitions and poo poo. I said transfers are probably the way to go, and sent him this link.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2007/07/tutorial-custom-decal-sheets.html

Has anyone used this method? How well did it work?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I use the custom decals all the time because I'm poo poo at freehand. It's very easy and works well, especially if you don't have any white in the logo/design you're trying to do (which it looks like you don't - you may have to tweak the color on the mask).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I don't even think I could paint that freehand on a Knights shoulder pad. And if I could, it certainly wouldn't be quick.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Yeah looks like he's not gonna hire me. I said $300 for a top quality paintjob on a knight and he said that was way too much.

Sheesh. Anyways, I'm going to give the decals a shot sometime, and I picked up some watercolor paints to try washes with them!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

crime fighting hog posted:

Yeah looks like he's not gonna hire me. I said $300 for a top quality paintjob on a knight and he said that was way too much.

People just dont understand how long it takes to paint things, and if you want "top" quality it takes even longer. A top quality Knight would take what, 15 hours of work Id say. at $300 thats $15/hr good luck finding a good artist in any field that will work for that little. This is why I wont ever paint for anyone else, that and im not that good :D

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
/\/\ Yeah, this. I've painted stuff for friends free just because I wanted to paint it, and I just finished a small diorama for my wife as a christmas gift, but I won't open the can of worms of accepting money for it.

Sheesh. Anyways, I'm going to give the decals a shot sometime, and I picked up some watercolor paints to try washes with them!

People have completely unrealistic expectations about commission painting. Good luck to that guy finding someone to paint that crest freehand on shoulderpads and have it not look like poo poo for less than what you charged him.

It's like web design. People think it's just easy bullshit that they shouldn't have to pay much for, but they can't do it themselves.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Not to turn this into a bitchfest but yeah, this is the third guy in a row who asked for top quality stuff then balked at my pricing or asked why it would take more than a month to paint 3000 points of space marines.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LumberingTroll posted:

People just dont understand how long it takes to paint things, and if you want "top" quality it takes even longer. A top quality Knight would take what, 15 hours of work Id say. at $300 thats $15/hr good luck finding a good artist in any field that will work for that little. This is why I wont ever paint for anyone else, that and im not that good :D

A top quality knight would be a weeks work since you could do some ludicrous things on those flat panels. I put 20+ into most of my Primarchs and if I was to paint a knight, even with liberal airbrush work to do the boring bits I'd be looking at 25 to 30 for my best. Most people that paint commission work do it so close to minimum wage its not feasible.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I estimated around 30 since he wanted me to paint a custom resin base too. Which he asked me to sculpt. And I said no.

Jesus.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Less talking, more painting golden daemon quality work for pennies per hour.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

serious gaylord posted:

A top quality knight would be a weeks work since you could do some ludicrous things on those flat panels. I put 20+ into most of my Primarchs and if I was to paint a knight, even with liberal airbrush work to do the boring bits I'd be looking at 25 to 30 for my best. Most people that paint commission work do it so close to minimum wage its not feasible.

I don't think he meant a Knight Titan. I think he meant a warmahordes model.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The Sisko posted:

Almost done with my Tetras. Just got finish the udders inside. Also did up thier flying base because I'm not a big fan of the transparent. C&C welcome.

"How's it going back there, Bob?"

"Can't see poo poo!"

"Keep up the good work"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I estimated around 30 since he wanted me to paint a custom resin base too. Which he asked me to sculpt. And I said no.

Jesus.

Just out of curiosity, what would you charge for "just get this table ready so I don't have to do it myself" work?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Arent they tiny? That would make it take even longer.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

JoshTheStampede posted:

Nah, he said "knights" and there's nothing in Warmahordes you'd call a knight that you could fit that sort of crest on.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I meant the big huge 40k Imperial Knight guys. He wanted three of them painted, two of which are half painted so he wanted me to strip them and reassemble them.

And for a "basic" paint job I'd charge about $120. Hard and fast rule for basic jobs is 90 percent of the model's cost, but with 40k that's really hosed up because the prices are so inflated.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

I meant the big huge 40k Imperial Knight guys. He wanted three of them painted, two of which are half painted so he wanted me to strip them and reassemble them.

And for a "basic" paint job I'd charge about $120. Hard and fast rule for basic jobs is 90 percent of the model's cost, but with 40k that's really hosed up because the prices are so inflated.

Haha holy poo poo that's even worse. He wanted 3 Knights cleaned and assembled with custom freehand work and custom-sculpted gigantic resin bases and thinks he can get that anywhere for under what you quoted him. Ok buddy.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Thank Jesus my current client is so chill. Pays decent, and lets me take my time considering, ya know, I work 50 hours a week and have something resembling a social life.

Hey, where's the best place to buy Vallejo air?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Haha holy poo poo that's even worse. He wanted 3 Knights cleaned and assembled with custom freehand work and custom-sculpted gigantic resin bases and thinks he can get that anywhere for under what you quoted him. Ok buddy.

He'd be looking at at least £200 per Knight, even from the airbrush jockeys.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Hey, where's the best place to buy Vallejo air?

In the U.S.? TheWarStore. I get my Air paint there and they'll ship it all for just $7.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Slimnoid posted:

In the U.S.? TheWarStore. I get my Air paint there and they'll ship it all for just $7.

For a bunch of it, this is correct. If you're only getting a couple bottles, then ebay is probably cheaper.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just out of curiosity, what would you charge for "just get this table ready so I don't have to do it myself" work?

Industry standard depending on country is like 15-65 for infantry depending on how painted you want it. Best price for money you'll get is dudes painting out of Poland where wargaming is popular and wages/employment are low or France where heavy income assistance means you can live a (lovely but lazy) life of under the table miniature painting. China is also cheap but a lot of people get burned negotiating with east Asia companies for painting services or get even sub-BTP level work, if you know how to contact the right people you can get great work done for cheap but good luck on Alibaba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Exinos posted:

Less talking, more painting golden daemon quality work for pennies per hour.

Is that you, blue table painting?

• Locked thread