Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

madjackmcmad posted:

Merry Christmas, Roguelike Thread <3

The game's tapestry is so woven with goonfiber and has been for years: kickstarter, early testing, bouncing ideas around, introducing me to new games, and just good ol fashioned roguelike chatter. Being in the company of other unrepentant nerds who were super excited to spend holiday time seeking out tiny new roguelikes and/or writing their own was a huge inspiration for me to create and finish Dungeonmans, both the 2009 for fun version and the world class goty 20XX version available now on Steam, which you might get through one of these keys.

70YM4-GP8N5-FJG9T
ATK7A-GF6CV-90ZDY
3K06B-74M20-L3VJT
CHZ6G-N688F-925ZE
QV7NL-JLRR9-IZ0AQ
0D08D-FK9FF-FYV54
BRQ7Q-YFWI7-YNGPL
RIXPV-YML0Z-2X7E7
W96BA-EVQM6-WWBE4
YFGRD-927L8-YKE05

Hot drat, Never thought I'd ever win one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum

madjackmcmad posted:

YFGRD-927L8-YKE05

Used this one, thanks a ton. Merry Christmas!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

madjackmcmad posted:

The game's tapestry is so woven with goonfiber and has been for years: kickstarter, early testing, bouncing ideas around, introducing me to new games, and just good ol fashioned roguelike chatter. Being in the company of other unrepentant nerds who were super excited to spend holiday time seeking out tiny new roguelikes and/or writing their own was a huge inspiration for me to create and finish Dungeonmans, both the 2009 for fun version and the world class goty 20XX version available now on Steam, which you might get through one of these keys.

70YM4-GP8N5-FJG9T
ATK7A-GF6CV-90ZDY
3K06B-74M20-L3VJT
CHZ6G-N688F-925ZE
QV7NL-JLRR9-IZ0AQ
0D08D-FK9FF-FYV54
BRQ7Q-YFWI7-YNGPL
RIXPV-YML0Z-2X7E7
W96BA-EVQM6-WWBE4
YFGRD-927L8-YKE05

Can't believe I actually got one of these. 3K06B-74M20-L3VJT = mine, and you have my thanks!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

madjackmcmad posted:

BRQ7Q-YFWI7-YNGPL

i grabbed this one. thanks!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

madjackmcmad posted:

ATK7A-GF6CV-90ZDY

Got that one, thanks!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

0D08D-FK9FF-FYV54

Snagged up this key. Thanks, man!

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

70YM4-GP8N5-FJG9T
ATK7A-GF6CV-90ZDY
3K06B-74M20-L3VJT
CHZ6G-N688F-925ZE
QV7NL-JLRR9-IZ0AQ
0D08D-FK9FF-FYV54
BRQ7Q-YFWI7-YNGPL
RIXPV-YML0Z-2X7E7
W96BA-EVQM6-WWBE4
YFGRD-927L8-YKE05

"Too Many Activation Attempts" :gonk:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, looks like the rest were grabbed by lurkers. Ah, well.

Thanks, though!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah, I'd been interested in pulling the trigger on the game but apparently missed out on the codes :( Thank you anyways though!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's very much worth the :10bux:, get your dungeonmans or womans on

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

On that note, the Steam page for Dungeonmans still describes it as "Early Access to Dungeonmans".

And there's no Linux version. :(

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

On that note, the Steam page for Dungeonmans still describes it as "Early Access to Dungeonmans".

Guess it's time to threaten to kill GabeN, I hear that works well at getting the Early Access description removed!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

victrix posted:

dungeonmadams

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

All keys are taken :(

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

victrix posted:

Lady Dungeonmans

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

victrix posted:

Dungeonma'ams

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Farewell, keys. On my wishlist you will remain, Dungeonlass. Is the game getting a daily deal?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If you could switch genders, Dungeontrans.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We should be kind to the international community. Dungeonfrance.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Bleu posted:

Farewell, keys. On my wishlist you will remain, Dungeonlass. Is the game getting a daily deal?

This isn't something devs (necessarily) actually know, fyi.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

Unormal posted:

Caves of Qud on Steam with tileset support, it's a christmas miracle!

[CoQ Steam 12-24-2014]
*Tileset support, toggleable in Options
*Fixed issues with zone freeze/thaw
*Fixed issues with save/load
*Fixed issue with deep copies (Temporal Fugue, etc)
*Fixed a bunch of rendering issues
*Fixed pyro and cryo zone rendering

Y̶P̶T̶V̶3̶-̶I̶3̶7̶R̶V̶-̶L̶6̶V̶6̶4̶
G̶3̶6̶Z̶5̶-̶J̶Q̶X̶W̶6̶-̶L̶R̶J̶5̶N̶
2̶9̶C̶0̶M̶-̶8̶N̶L̶D̶E̶-̶0̶7̶P̶J̶7̶
2̶R̶F̶W̶Y̶-̶A̶7̶W̶J̶7̶-̶J̶D̶F̶D̶2̶
A̶4̶G̶5̶F̶-̶6̶E̶B̶T̶5̶-̶5̶A̶Y̶V̶3̶

drat. I check this thread daily, but I keep getting CoQ blocked.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I've just started playing Sil (having only played semi-rougelikes like FTL before) and am really enjoying it. I've been following a newbie screencast to get some ideas and I've played a couple of characters following that build (dodging, flanking melee) and getting to around 400ft.

Is there a list somewhere of effects of spells and potions? Most of the examine text in-game is a bit vague and the manual doesn't list any items or spells. I've got a few things I can now identify (with Loremaster) but I don't know really what they'll do. For example: I guess the herbs of restoration will give me back the CON I lost to a purple mould? Is a staff of self-knowledge useful now I can identify everything? Would I ever need a staff of sanctity if I can identify and avoid cursed items? What do Greaves of Free Action actually do?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

Caves of Qud on Steam with tileset support, it's a christmas miracle!

[CoQ Steam 12-24-2014]
*Tileset support, toggleable in Options
*Fixed issues with zone freeze/thaw
*Fixed issues with save/load
*Fixed issue with deep copies (Temporal Fugue, etc)
*Fixed a bunch of rendering issues
*Fixed pyro and cryo zone rendering

:toot:

Addendum to release notes: the developer name has changed from DefaultCompany to Freehold Games; the location of save and configuration files (at least on Linux) has changed accordingly. This is why none of your save files are showing up.

Related bug report: if you have no save files, selecting "Continue" on the main menu and pressing enter causes the game to exit instantly without even writing anything to Player.log.
E: And another: if you have Light Manipulation, and you lase until your inherent light radius is 0, your Ambient Light ability toggles itself off and doesn't toggle back on even once it recharges. Surely it should stay on, just with a radius of 0?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 26, 2014

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Destroyenator posted:

Is there a list somewhere of effects of spells and potions? Most of the examine text in-game is a bit vague and the manual doesn't list any items or spells. I've got a few things I can now identify (with Loremaster) but I don't know really what they'll do. For example: I guess the herbs of restoration will give me back the CON I lost to a purple mould? Is a staff of self-knowledge useful now I can identify everything? Would I ever need a staff of sanctity if I can identify and avoid cursed items? What do Greaves of Free Action actually do?
There's nowhere that explains exact things like that, unfortunately. The easiest way is just to ask other players questions.

For spells, the reason the manual doesn't list any is because there aren't any. Songs are basically the game's version of spells though, and those are definitely in the manual, listed with all the other abilities in the game.

Herbs of restoration will restore all stats, if you're drained a massive number you might need to eat more than one though. Self knowledge is useless if you've identified everything. Staff of sanctity is mostly-useless with loremaster, unless you find a cursed item you want to equip. It's possible, but unlikely.

As for free action, I'm pretty sure that one is in the manual. These types of effects generally give you a +10 to your rolls against various effects. In this case it helps against entrancement and slowing, I believe. It's like increasing your Will stat by 10 points against these attacks. You really want this for later levels and especially against morgoth.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Bleu posted:

10 free keys and 20% off isn't enough for you vultures!?! :cmon:

It won't be featured, and to be totally honest if I knew it would be featured I would drop totally obvious hints that the game is due to be featured and you shouldn't buy it until it is. But it isn't. For real. Don't wait buy it before the megaflops run out and downloads run dry.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

10 free keys and 20% off isn't enough for you vultures!?! :cmon:

It won't be featured, and to be totally honest if I knew it would be featured I would drop totally obvious hints that the game is due to be featured and you shouldn't buy it until it is. But it isn't. For real. Don't wait buy it before the megaflops run out and downloads run dry.

You'll probably get a bunch of people buying on the last day of the christmas sale, once they know it won't get any lower.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've stayed up all night playing rogue likes before, but last night is the first time I ever stayed up making one.

My stated goals are a low barrier for entry, transparency of mechanics and information, and interesting decisions on the macro and micro scale.

It's running on the very simple "everyone gets so much energy each turn and you can't act until it's filled back up" system that a lot of better games use. Part of the conceit is presenting this mechanic as a "stamina bar" that fills up.

The one major "twist" is that I'm implementing facing, a la FF Tactics. Turning takes a small amount of stamina, so attacking in the direction you're already facing is slightly faster. Incoming attacks from the side ignore shields, and attacks from behind do that as well as doing more damage and knocking off a bit of stamina. The idea is to make positioning very important, and to reward sneak attacks and clever tactics.

My question is this: Am I reinventing the wheel here? Are there other rogue likes that do one or both of these things, but better?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That wacky survival/cannibalism sim - Unreal World, I think it's called? - has directional facing mechanics IIRC.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Angry Diplomat posted:

That wacky survival/cannibalism sim - Unreal World, I think it's called? - has directional facing mechanics IIRC.

Yeah, Unreal World. It recently (as in the last few years) went from its business model to a donation based one ala Toady & DF, so all of Unreal World is open to you even if you don't pay!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It sounds like I'm doing something at least somewhat unique then.

Now I just need to think of a theme. :negative:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Ancient Persia

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

Robots.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Steampunk.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

EvilMike posted:

There's nowhere that explains exact things like that, unfortunately. The easiest way is just to ask other players questions.

For spells, the reason the manual doesn't list any is because there aren't any. Songs are basically the game's version of spells though, and those are definitely in the manual, listed with all the other abilities in the game.

Herbs of restoration will restore all stats, if you're drained a massive number you might need to eat more than one though. Self knowledge is useless if you've identified everything. Staff of sanctity is mostly-useless with loremaster, unless you find a cursed item you want to equip. It's possible, but unlikely.

As for free action, I'm pretty sure that one is in the manual. These types of effects generally give you a +10 to your rolls against various effects. In this case it helps against entrancement and slowing, I believe. It's like increasing your Will stat by 10 points against these attacks. You really want this for later levels and especially against morgoth.
Thank you for the info. I was aware there are no spells, I meant to say staves. My latest character has just hit 850' and I think I'm doing okay but I don't have any fire protection yet and I nearly got done in by a young fire-drake on 800'. Is there anything else I should be aiming to have before I get to 1000'? I'm playing a melee/evasion character and I find I'm beating most enemies pretty easily, but occasionally getting thrown off by a few big hits (I have very little armour).

Couple of other questions: A vampire stole one strength from me and I used a potion of strength to try to get it back but now my character screen shows "Str 6 = 3 +1 -1 +3", so I think I've just got a temporary buff, is restoration the only way to get it back properly?
And, the Greatsword of Saithnar "draws wraiths to your level", how does this get worked out? Is it a roll per turn I have it equipped or once I use it will that level be spawning wraiths indefinitely regardless of how long I hold onto it?

edit: I've got Inner Light, a Helm of Brilliance and a Brass Lantern of True Sight, so I'm good for light which is the big recommendation I'm seeing on other forums.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Poison Mushroom posted:

Persian Steampunk Robots.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Merry xmas roguelike thread. Thanks to this thread I've discovered some great games and gotten some real handy advice. As thanks, I'll buy a copy of dungeonmans for the first person to claim it. I'll just need your steam name (I believe). If you're not comfortable posting your steam name for whatever reason, claim it and pm me. Hooray!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Eschatos posted:

That actually sounds loving radical okay.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Happylisk posted:

Merry xmas roguelike thread. Thanks to this thread I've discovered some great games and gotten some real handy advice. As thanks, I'll buy a copy of dungeonmans for the first person to claim it. I'll just need your steam name (I believe). If you're not comfortable posting your steam name for whatever reason, claim it and pm me. Hooray!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/disastranagant

I'd like to man some dungeons

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Claimed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Eschatos posted: