Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Timby posted:

In a lot of ways it's scarier, but then it also goes out of its way to be cuter. It's a lot more toyetic than the first one (the slime blowers, the giga-meter, Ecto-1A), and there's stupid poo poo like the man-eating toaster trick / everyone dog-piling on Peter like they're in elementary school, Slimer driving the bus, etc. It's a tonally schizophrenic movie.

"Get him!" was Ray's five year revenge plan for calling him Francine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

In a lot of ways it's scarier, but then it also goes out of its way to be cuter. It's a lot more toyetic than the first one (the slime blowers, the giga-meter, Ecto-1A), and there's stupid poo poo like the man-eating toaster trick / everyone dog-piling on Peter like they're in elementary school, Slimer driving the bus, etc. It's a tonally schizophrenic movie.

The toy thing I think was just unavoidable, the franchise was such a behemoth at that point there was going to be tons of merchandise no matter what. I never got the feeling stuff like the slimeblowers or the new Ecto1 were there specifically to sell toys though, there was plenty of stuff in the original that ended up as toys but you can't say that was fully intended or expected. I think no matter what script got made there would have been plenty of toy/merchandise opportunities.

The other stuff like the man-eating toaster bit I don't really see as a problem. I like that contrast and its probably why I latched onto the movie as a kid, it feels like a kids movie right up until it doesn't.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

The toy thing I think was just unavoidable, the franchise was such a behemoth at that point there was going to be tons of merchandise no matter what. I never got the feeling stuff like the slimeblowers or the new Ecto1 were there specifically to sell toys though, there was plenty of stuff in the original that ended up as toys but you can't say that was fully intended or expected.

They didn't make toys of stuff like the proton pack until 1987-ish, well after the cartoon was doing gangbusters.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So far, I can think of 3 sex jokes in the sequel, let me know if I'm missing any:

- (gynelogical tests on Dana) Peter: "Who wouldn't?"
- Egon: "I think they're more interested in my epidydemis" (sp?)
- Ray to Vigo: "Go knock up some willing hellhound".

When you really think about it, yeah, GB2 is both a kids film, and also not.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So far, I can think of 3 sex jokes in the sequel, let me know if I'm missing any:

- (gynelogical tests on Dana) Peter: "Who wouldn't?"
- Egon: "I think they're more interested in my epidydemis" (sp?)
- Ray to Vigo: "Go knock up some willing hellhound".

When you really think about it, yeah, GB2 is both a kids film, and also not.

I hate Ramis' reading of that first line, because it's supposed to be "gynecological."

You're forgetting probably the biggest one in the film, which is Janine coming onto Louis and talking about making a baby while holding a giant glass ball between her legs (:wtc:).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

You're forgetting probably the biggest one in the film, which is Janine coming onto Louis and talking about making a baby while holding a giant glass ball between her legs (:wtc:).

6 year old me was very confused. I'm thinking "I really want to be Louis right now but....that doesn't make any sense. Why do I all the sudden wish I was Louis?"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Basebf555 posted:

Men in Black to MIB 2 was worse in my opinion. I've tried at least 3 times to get through MIB 2 and I just can't. Ghostbusters 2 still has a lot going for it. A really solid villain, great cast in general, the same great NY setting. I'll always have fond memories of it, just not as many as the original.

MIB 2 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen but at least it has 9/11 as an excuse.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"I got some Laura Antonelli tapes if you wanna watch 'em" is also a somewhat obscure adult joke (Antonelli was an actress in a lot of European sex comedies.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Totally forgot about the crystal ball baby-making scene between Janine and Louis.

I just remembered that I thought it was neat he mentioned Super Mario Bros.

Edit: poo poo, it IS gynaecological, not gynelogical.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 26, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Edit: poo poo, it IS gynaecological, not gynelogical.

He swallows the 'co' a bit yeah.

My least favourite bit of Ghostbusters is when Dan telegraphs that he's about to see Slimer. He looks left, looks right and then straight at Slimer with his mouth wide open. No time to generate a reaction, just straight up instant :aaa:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

My least favourite bit of Ghostbusters is when Dan telegraphs that he's about to see Slimer. He looks left, looks right and then straight at Slimer with his mouth wide open. No time to generate a reaction, just straight up instant :aaa:

Yes!! I always feel like a weirdo mentioning it, since no one else seems to mind this at all.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Yes!! I always feel like a weirdo mentioning it, since no one else seems to mind this at all.

The way the cigarette dangles was an amusing image, helped blunt how jarring his reaction was.

Re: scarier movie gb1 or gb2, I always thought the first was scarier for the hands coming out of the couch bit with dana. 7 year old me would stand up at that part.

Not to say anything ghost janosh did wasn't pretty freaky too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pander posted:

The way the cigarette dangles was an amusing image, helped blunt how jarring his reaction was.

Re: scarier movie gb1 or gb2, I always thought the first was scarier for the hands coming out of the couch bit with dana. 7 year old me would stand up at that part.

Not to say anything ghost janosh did wasn't pretty freaky too.

See, that's the thing. In Ghostbusters, for example, the library ghost scare works two ways: As a kid, you're freaked the gently caress out by this giant loving monster of terror. When you grow up, you realize how hilarious it is that the guys are so completely unprepared for this giant loving monster of terror ... because they approached it like kids.

GB2 has almost none of that subtlety.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The_Doctor posted:

Haven't seen it in awhile, but is it setup in a way that he could be realising what he saw in front of him as he turned his head from left to right? Like, the old gag where someone sees something, turns their head, and has that moment of 'wait, what??' and looks again?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Slugworth posted:

Haven't seen it in awhile, but is it setup in a way that he could be realising what he saw in front of him as he turned his head from left to right? Like, the old gag where someone sees something, turns their head, and has that moment of 'wait, what??' and looks again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_hNgGVDfNs

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
As a kid, one of my best friends would hide behind a chair for the "get her!" scene EVERY TIME. We literally watched that movie every day and it still scared him on the 300th viewing. He did the same thing during the Thriller video too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Pdlxd_rro

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Kevyn posted:

As a kid, one of my best friends would hide behind a chair for the "get her!" scene EVERY TIME.

That was me. I was your friend.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kevyn posted:

As a kid, one of my best friends would hide behind a chair for the "get her!" scene EVERY TIME. We literally watched that movie every day and it still scared him on the 300th viewing. He did the same thing during the Thriller video too.

That scared me a lot because the storybook had a big color photograph of the library ghost in scary mode.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Yeah, the back and forth thing I've no issue with because i do it too, you focus on certain spots. The eyes going huge before he even really sees is a bit of a throwoff, but not one that kills the moment for me
Egon poking that dude after and the whole "ugly little spud" still kills me though

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I just don't get the problem. He sees Slimer in his peripherals and immediately reacts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Two lines that I always felt were weird, and I've never known why they were included:

1: (after Ray says not to look directly at the trap) Egon: "I looked at the trap, Ray!"

2: Walter Peck: "You can have it your way, Dr. Venkman."

The first makes no sense because Egon is the cautious type. I mean, he even warns them about not crossing the streams less than 5 minutes previous.

The second line comes right after Peter threatens Peck with a court order. I would have rather Peck say something like "This doesn't have to go badly" or "You don't know who you're messing with", but as it stands, it's almost like Peck is saying "Ok, you could sue me and win, for me doing my job".

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Two lines that I always felt were weird, and I've never known why they were included:

1: (after Ray says not to look directly at the trap) Egon: "I looked at the trap, Ray!"

The first makes no sense because Egon is the cautious type. I mean, he even warns them about not crossing the streams less than 5 minutes previous.
Hate to reply with just an emote but thats pretty much :thejoke: to the core.

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 27, 2014

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

The second line comes right after Peter threatens Peck with a court order. I would have rather Peck say something like "This doesn't have to go badly" or "You don't know who you're messing with", but as it stands, it's almost like Peck is saying "Ok, you could sue me and win, for me doing my job".

Peck is being sarcastic.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I just don't get the problem. He sees Slimer in his peripherals and immediately reacts.

Watching the clip, I agree with this. However, about 20 seconds later (after the Egon pushing the concierge bit) Peter just stops and stares a full 2 seconds before Slimer shows up. Edits it to look like Venkman knows Slimer is about to arrive. Kinda odd.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Avril Lavigne posted:

Peck is being sarcastic.

Really? It just doesn't come across that way, in a film that has Bill Murray as Peter Venkman, the most sarcastic guy in New York.

Also, if that Egon line's supposed to be a joke, yeah, obviously I don't think it works.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

2: Walter Peck: "You can have it your way, Dr. Venkman."

1) It's a joke. C'mon man...

2) No, he's saying "You can have it your way, because I'm coming back here with a court order and the cops to wipe that smile off your face." Then he does. He's a smarmy, power hungry rear end in a top hat after all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

2) No, he's saying "You can have it your way, because I'm coming back here with a court order and the cops to wipe that smile off your face." Then he does. He's a smarmy, power hungry rear end in a top hat after all.

I guess the delivery is weird. You're saying this is like him saying 'fine! Have it your way!', and storming out, but then coming back with what he threatened?

Edit: sorry, that's pretty much exactly what you said. Anyway, again, I guess I just find the delivery weird.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 28, 2014

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Really? It just doesn't come across that way, in a film that has Bill Murray as Peter Venkman, the most sarcastic guy in New York.

If you want an example of how people combat sarcasm with more sarcasm... well, you're here.

You're saying this is like him saying 'fine! Have it your way!', and storming out, but then coming back with what he threatened?

In Peck's mind, Venkman having it 'his way' is simply him agreeing to Peck coming back with a court order.

Avril Lavigne fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 28, 2014

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I think the trap thing is just a joke about how people will do something immediately after being warned not to, like that Seinfeld scene with Elaine touching the hot plate.

The line that I don't get is Ray going "crossssss the streeeeams" like he's in a trance.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Kevyn posted:

I think the trap thing is just a joke about how people will do something immediately after being warned not to, like that Seinfeld scene with Elaine touching the hot plate.

The line that I don't get is Ray going "crossssss the streeeeams" like he's in a trance.

He's saying it while processing it because it's a crazy plan that would never have been brought up before and could only potentially have a chance of working in this situation.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I sperged at the scene, Ray.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

I don't understand why when Janine shouts 'We got one!' each word is respectively produced in A#, D and C# when realistically no secretary would bother to shout within the pitch boundaries of a set musical scale.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Avril Lavigne posted:

I don't understand why when Janine shouts 'We got one!' each word is respectively produced in A#, D and C# when realistically no secretary would bother to shout within the pitch boundaries of a set musical scale.

Because you touch yourself at night.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I sperged at the scene, Ray.

Hey man, this is legitimately the only place online where I'd even want to bring up such a minor thing that I wondered about. If I'm going to sperg over this film, goddammit, you goons are going to read about it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Also, if that Egon line's supposed to be a joke, yeah, obviously I don't think it works.

:what:

This is the funniest line in a scene that also includes the lines "Nice shootin, Tex" and "The flowers! Are still standing!" and probably others that I'm forgetting

It seriously boggles my mind that someone out there doesn't find this line hilarious.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Pander posted:

Watching the clip, I agree with this. However, about 20 seconds later (after the Egon pushing the concierge bit) Peter just stops and stares a full 2 seconds before Slimer shows up. Edits it to look like Venkman knows Slimer is about to arrive. Kinda odd.

Venkman stands out a lot more than Ray, but even with this he does stop after you hear Slimer snort. Also, it could be that you can feel a ghost's presence and that gave him reason to pause.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

OldSenileGuy posted:

:what:

This is the funniest line in a scene that also includes the lines "Nice shootin, Tex" and "The flowers! Are still standing!" and probably others that I'm forgetting

It seriously boggles my mind that someone out there doesn't find this line hilarious.

Agreed. My wife doesn't like the movie the way I do, but that line makes her laugh every time. The only other moment that makes her laugh out loud is "GET HER!"

My favorite moments are all Louis related. Everything in the party scene is hilarious.

"Gee, I think all I got is acetylsalicylic acid, generic. See, I can get six hundred tablets of that for the same price as three hundred of a name brand. That makes good financial sense, good advice. Hey, this is real smoked salmon from Nova Scotia, Canada, $24.95 a pound! It only cost me $14.12 after tax, though. I'm givin' this whole thing as a promotional expense, that's why I invited clients instead of friends. You havin' a good time, Mark? How you doing? Why don't you have some of the brie, it's at room temperature! You think it's too warm in here for the brie?"

And then Ted and Annette Fleming arrive and he tells everyone at the party their entire financial situation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Louis airing the info of Ted's carpet cleaning (or dry cleaning?) business in receivership and Annette's salary from a deferred bonus to everyone as an intro is one of my favourite parts.

So they're ok!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The mysteries work best as external metaphors for internal struggle for Peter/egon, and as pure episodic set pieces

• Locked thread