Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

HogX posted:

Ah okay. Another question, how do I upgrade my facilities? So I can launch heavier spacecraft, etc?

Right click on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

withak posted:

Right click on them.

Awesome, thanks. So there's a mission where I have to take a crew report above 18,900m in kerbal's frontier. Do I need to just go straight up that high? I tried that once and I'm not sure it worked, Is there a specific spot?

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

HogX posted:

Awesome, thanks. So there's a mission where I have to take a crew report above 18,900m in kerbal's frontier. Do I need to just go straight up that high? I tried that once and I'm not sure it worked, Is there a specific spot?
If you go to map view it'll show you markers for where you need to go.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
SSTMO

No parts shedding, no refills, no MechJeb, 100% stock.

Thanks for 0.90 Maxmaps and Squad!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is it possible to recover science with a water landing? My ship breaks apart when it hits water and loses all the experiments. Just wasted a two hour expedition. I know you can transmit data but you lose like 80% of it that way.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
If the modules are intact, yes. Go to the tracking station from the base screen, make sure debris is visible and find your modules. Highlight them and there should be three buttons on the lower left. The one with the decal of a crane or something is the recovery button.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oh neat, didn't know about that. Just found out one of my upper stages is in a stable orbit still too, hopefully something will collide with it some day.

I mean that would be horrible, stay safe astronauts.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You need to be very careful when landing in the ocean on Kerbin. The oceans eat everything, as you see, so make sure to touch down very carefully. The best is a combination of parachutes, powered landing, and strong attitude control, so make sure you have some fuel and control authority left.
You want to hit the water at less than 4 m/s, and then be careful about tipping over since the top of the craft might then splash into the water and get eaten. So touch down slowly, and then use RCS + SAS to stay upright or at least tip over slowly. Or see if you can hit the "Recover" button before you tip all the way.

But try aiming for land when possible!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh neat, didn't know about that. Just found out one of my upper stages is in a stable orbit still too, hopefully something will collide with it some day.

I mean that would be horrible, stay safe astronauts.

You can terminate debris with the red X and that'll remove them permanently. I like to leave junk hanging around in space.
I keep saying that one day I'll build a craft to intercept and de-orbit junk just for the fun of it, but have never gotten around to it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

You can terminate debris with the red X and that'll remove them permanently. I like to leave junk hanging around in space.
I keep saying that one day I'll build a craft to intercept and de-orbit junk just for the fun of it, but have never gotten around to it.

One of the debris is a Kerbal who fell off his spaceship during EVA and is now on a trajectory to exit the solar system. :smith:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

One of the debris is a Kerbal who fell off his spaceship during EVA and is now on a trajectory to exit the solar system. :smith:

:byewhore:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Rescue him!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Still working on getting to lunar orbit, our technology is not up to recovering corpses in deep space yet.

Current mission will either get into lunar orbit or run out of fuel and be gravity assisted out of the solar system. I have no way of telling which. :buddy:

I think I even have enough fuel to get home. :buddy:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 27, 2014

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

How do we even do this poo poo in real life

is the question I ask myself after decoupling all my engines by mistake as I'm trying to make orbit for the billionth time.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Bounced on impact, tumbled, landed on a solar panel. Not my first probe landing, but my first using Remote-Tech, 30 part limit and tier one parts. The science experiment and antenna survived, which is the main thing.
Next goal is something I've never managed despite owning this game since its first release: Sample return from the Mun.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Started assembling my first orbital station. :toot: I had two contracts pop up, one for a station in Kerbin orbit and one to perform a Station Science experiment in Kerbin orbit, so I figured I'd build a station, put a lab module on it, and then perform the experiment. I still don't have the lab on the station yet, but it's already coming together nicely.

Docking the second module (Kerbitat+Habitation Ring+additional life support storage) with the core module (Control Center+Node+solar panels on a crew tube+depressurized service section with batteries, antennae, and other support stuff). Due to the radial decoupler glitch, I lost one of my first-stage main engines on ascent and had to make it to orbit with a massively unbalanced spacecraft, but managed to pull it off. Unfortunately, I'm playing with DangIt (a random part failures mod), so to compound that issue, one of the RCS thruster blocks failed on rendezvous, leaving me unable to control the module finely enough to pull off the docking procedure. I ended up undocking the Crew Return Vehicle, rendezvousing that with the living quarters module, EVAing a Kerbal to repair the RCS block, then docking the living quarters and the CRV seperately.

The next launch is probably going to be a node and an aeroponics module, followed by the lab on its own (it's too heavy to be launched with anything else).

I thought it was kind of cool I could see the crew return vehicle from the Command Center IVA.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Started assembling my first orbital station. :toot: I had two contracts pop up, one for a station in Kerbin orbit and one to perform a Station Science experiment in Kerbin orbit, so I figured I'd build a station, put a lab module on it, and then perform the experiment. I still don't have the lab on the station yet, but it's already coming together nicely.
Docking the second module (Kerbitat+Habitation Ring+additional life support storage) with the core module (Control Center+Node+solar panels on a crew tube+depressurized service section with batteries, antennae, and other support stuff). Due to the radial decoupler glitch, I lost one of my first-stage main engines on ascent and had to make it to orbit with a massively unbalanced spacecraft, but managed to pull it off. Unfortunately, I'm playing with DangIt (a random part failures mod), so to compound that issue, one of the RCS thruster blocks failed on rendezvous, leaving me unable to control the module finely enough to pull off the docking procedure. I ended up undocking the Crew Return Vehicle, rendezvousing that with the living quarters module, EVAing a Kerbal to repair the RCS block, then docking the living quarters and the CRV seperately.

The next launch is probably going to be a node and an aeroponics module, followed by the lab on its own (it's too heavy to be launched with anything else).

What are you using for a launch vehicle? An SSTO or a big-rear end rocket?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I see how the strategies can be kind of overpowered... 1300 science for putting a single satellite in Kerbin orbit is quite a lot. Not complaining though, I needed a lot of science.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I think I've made the Kerbalest plane ever. With the part limit and tier 1 tech I can't really cobble together a plane that'll do a survey contract at 17,000m as my engines flameout. My solution has been to load the thing with as much engines and air intakes as possible. Get to the location at low level and pull into a nearly 90 degree climb. The engines flameout at about 16,000m, but momentum carries me into the survey altitude, and then I just hope that a) I stay there long enough to transmit the science, and b) that I can recover from the flameout, stall, and flat-spin I'm in before hitting the ground.
I took a decoupler and single chute attached to the cockpit. Just in case.

e: predictably:

Got into a spin so violent it sheared off part of a wing.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 27, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

HogX posted:

Ah okay. Another question, how do I upgrade my facilities? So I can launch heavier spacecraft, etc?

K.R.E.A.M., son.

Earn the cash moneys and then right click on the building and hit the upgrade button.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Anyone else having issues with RealChutes in 0.9? My vessels disappear from the screen a few seconds after launch, though I can still see the smoke trail and the altitude meter keeps going up...

Also until you upgrade the mission control you don't have the action groups tab, which is where you configure the chutes.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

Is it possible to recover science with a water landing? My ship breaks apart when it hits water and loses all the experiments. Just wasted a two hour expedition. I know you can transmit data but you lose like 80% of it that way.

I used to have the same problem and tried to avoid water landings. But I've found a few things that make them more safe and reliable than hoping to miss the mountains. Tall things falling into water tend to bounce a lot, that's where most of the damage comes from so build low/wide. Leave a little fuel and use the last dregs to slow down just before you touch the water - less bounce again. Oddly enough, having landing legs extended seems to help too - like the program counts them as touching first or something.

Collateral Damage posted:

Anyone else having issues with RealChutes in 0.9? My vessels disappear from the screen a few seconds after launch, though I can still see the smoke trail and the altitude meter keeps going up...

Also until you upgrade the mission control you don't have the action groups tab, which is where you configure the chutes.

Nope, realchutes are fine for me this version and I suffered from that bug in the last couple of releases. The action group thing was a major driver to upgrade mission control quickly, it was that or remove the MM configs that applied realchutes to the stock parts so I had some known fallback.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jackson Taus posted:

What are you using for a launch vehicle? An SSTO or a big-rear end rocket?

SSTO does not mean the same thing as spaceplane, dammit :eng99:

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold
Contracts kind of leave you in a lurch after a while - once I'm all built out and ready to send some major manned missions, the return on investment is simply not there. I'll be flat broke without any good way to generate/recoup funds. I wish contracts gave the player things to do at the player's desired destination, rather than guided missions of what the game wants the player to do next. Like if a transfer window for Eve opens up, I'd like to go to contracts and say "Generate me a bunch of stuff to do on/around Eve". Right now, cancelling contracts over and over hoping for the RNG to generate what I'm looking for gets very annoying. Also I truly loathe the glut of "text x at y" contracts at this point.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I just put satellites with re-usable science in orbit and spam those. The income isn't huge but it's generally free money after the first launch.

e: that and contract satellites, which usually pay in the 100-200k range. That's enough for me to launch like 5-10 payloads right now.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Some peeps have been talking about space station assembly.

I'll be doing that more after vacations, and I'm thinking about ways to do it.

I currently would just put docking ports everywhere, and send up each part as its own craft; everything has a probe core and rcs engines so they can dock with the station core. Kerbal Attachment System lets me add struts and other cool poo poo once its there (I love that mod).

But I'm still left with a bunch of probe cores and rcs parts that my station won't really need. Is there another way to do this? I could use some sort of barge ship to push around station parts, and then un-dock when its all done. Seems tricky though as the center of mass would be all askew, so steering might be tough. Otherwise, is there a useful mechanical arm that someone has modded into the game?

I don't like launching completed stations because they look loving stupid on the launch pad, and I'd like more realism than that.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Wouldn't you just have, like:

Engine : Fuel tank : Probe Core : Decoupler : Station Component

You lift that block into orbit, use the payload engine to make your orbital rendezvous, dock your station component, decouple the motor/fuel/probe, and then deorbit that section?
It may not be the most efficient means of doing things, but a probe core, fuel, rcs, and engine probably won't run you more than 5k

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

I make Oreos out of 2 big docking ports and a probe core. Slap on a pair of RTGs for power, some RCS for movement, and you have something compact and self-sufficient. You can either tug things around and then ditch into atmo, or stay attached to the station to add RCS as needed without taking up a docking port or adding warts to the outside of your pretty space parts.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Small RCS barges is basically the way it's done.

An important trick is that you can enable precision controls, by default bound to Caps Lock. You can tell precision controls are enabled because the arrows on the rotation force displays in the lower left turn from red to blue.

When precision controls are enabled, RCS thrusters individually adjust their power and use SAS to compensate for center of mass, when you do translation operations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Count Roland posted:

I currently would just put docking ports everywhere, and send up each part as its own craft; everything has a probe core and rcs engines so they can dock with the station core. Kerbal Attachment System lets me add struts and other cool poo poo once its there (I love that mod).

But I'm still left with a bunch of probe cores and rcs parts that my station won't really need. Is there another way to do this? I could use some sort of barge ship to push around station parts, and then un-dock when its all done. Seems tricky though as the center of mass would be all askew, so steering might be tough. Otherwise, is there a useful mechanical arm that someone has modded into the game?

I don't like launching completed stations because they look loving stupid on the launch pad, and I'd like more realism than that.

You can make an RCS tug that has its engines out in front on long girders, closer to where the center of mass of the station segment you're pushing around should be. It won't be perfect, but it should work well enough, especially if you if you put a reaction wheel or two on the tug to help keep it aligned properly. Alternatively, you can put RCS nozzles (but no tank) on every station component, which will give you something close to centered RCS coverage on your completed station.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Actual Rocket Launch Alert: Proton Rocket launching with the Astra 2G satellite launching in 15 minutes at 13:37 PST, 16:37 EST, 21:37GMT.
Webcast here: http://astra2g.imgondemand.com/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Count Roland posted:

I haven't done this in 0.90 yet, but in earlier versions I used RCS tugs; you can see two here:

Each one is a large RCS tank, a bunch of RCS ports, a probe core, reaction wheels, radiothermal generators, and a docking port on each side.

At first, I would put RCS ports on each of my station components and just dock a tug to one end, letting its tank drive the RCS ports on the component. That led to a lot of unused RCS parts on the station, though, so for later launches I'd dock a tug to both ends, get it into position, then have the tug on the station side scuttle out of the way while the one on the far side pushed it straight in.

In 0.90 I don't have most of those parts yet so I'm just launching each component in a package that contains a small 2.5m fuel tank, poodle engine, probe core, and reaction wheels, and just line the whole thing up without using RCS and then push it into place. Then the tank gets drained into the station's onboard tanks and the engine+tank+core assembly is jettisoned and marked as debris.

If I cared more about keeping my orbit clean I'd leave them with just enough fuel to deorbit and do that instead.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Grand Fromage posted:

You can do one better.

If you have a Kerbal EVA out and get close to the science gizmo, you can right click it and collect the experiments. You can then shove the experiment into the command pod. Anything that repeats is dumped, but if you do the same experiment in different areas it's fine.

So long as the pod ends up safe, you'll have your science.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

Yes, this is the problem I was posting about earlier. At one point it seems like using only RealChutes (instead of stock-chutes) was still working but now it's not working for me. It also seems to hide my staging bar.

ToxicFrog posted:

SSTO does not mean the same thing as spaceplane, dammit :eng99:

Sorry. In my defense, I haven't heard folks talking much about multi-stage spaceplanes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jackson Taus posted:

Sorry. In my defense, I haven't heard folks talking much about multi-stage spaceplanes.

People build SSTO rockets all the time, though.

DBlue135
Dec 21, 2005
Is there a menu somewhere that shows you a graph of funds vs. time, perhaps annotated to show when various rockets were launched? Right now, I keep a separate paper next to the computer so I can write down my funds and make sure I'm making money.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I was playing career, but I realized right now I'd rather futz around with rockets and do science, so I switched over to science mode. Now I don't need to worry about money while I launch all sorts of weird designs.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

DBlue135 posted:

Is there a menu somewhere that shows you a graph of funds vs. time, perhaps annotated to show when various rockets were launched? Right now, I keep a separate paper next to the computer so I can write down my funds and make sure I'm making money.

No, but there was someone in the last thread trying to make a mod that does just that. I can't remember the name of the poster, but last I heard they were trying to corral a database viewer into it so I'm pretty sure they've committed suicide by now.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Clark Nova posted:

You can make an RCS tug that has its engines out in front on long girders, closer to where the center of mass of the station segment you're pushing around should be. It won't be perfect, but it should work well enough, especially if you if you put a reaction wheel or two on the tug to help keep it aligned properly. Alternatively, you can put RCS nozzles (but no tank) on every station component, which will give you something close to centered RCS coverage on your completed station.

I just give most station modules two docking ports (one on each side) and then use a pair of docking tugs. Once I'm lined up for docking with the station, I detach the tug nearest the station and move it out of the way. Then all I have to do is translate the new module towards the station.

Alternately, you could build your tugs to have a Klaw on one and and just grab the module anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Edminster posted:

No, but there was someone in the last thread trying to make a mod that does just that. I can't remember the name of the poster, but last I heard they were trying to corral a database viewer into it so I'm pretty sure they've committed suicide by now.

Yeah, as I recall there are some... interesting ways that funds are accounted for and it sounded like a recipe that would drive one to alcoholism.

Really hoping for a SimCity-esque advisor who would pop up when you looked at your KSC budget.

YOU CAN'T CUT FUNDING FOR SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!