Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Holy poo poo I had no idea precision controls were a thing. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

nielsm posted:

Small RCS barges is basically the way it's done.

An important trick is that you can enable precision controls, by default bound to Caps Lock. You can tell precision controls are enabled because the arrows on the rotation force displays in the lower left turn from red to blue.

When precision controls are enabled, RCS thrusters individually adjust their power and use SAS to compensate for center of mass, when you do translation operations.

Let me get this straight. Caps lock lets me just ignore RCS positioning wrt the center of mass? I've never used it before, I assume since its precision mode it cuts the thrust. That seems... unfair or something.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Count Roland posted:

Let me get this straight. Caps lock lets me just ignore RCS positioning wrt the center of mass? I've never used it before, I assume since its precision mode it cuts the thrust. That seems... unfair or something.

Not exactly, It simply helps with imprecisely-placed thrusters by adjusting thrust output by distance from CoM. You can still gently caress it up if you are bad enough at placement; if you only have one ring of thrusters at one end then you're still going to get mad torque problems when translating.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

People build SSTO rockets all the time, though.

I feel somehow responsible for this with my recent SSTO Spaceplane spamming whilst omitting the Spaceplane suffix.

...Still I am pretty stoked about getting an SSTO spaceplane to Minmus. If I wasn't such a total spaz it would have had heaps of fuel to go back too. Related to all that, I'm loving the new pilot SAS model. Before 0.90 I was abusing the RemoteTech flight computer because I wanted some of those modes. I don't want MechJeb because it takes away the parts which I actually enjoy. The extra SAS modes cut down on the frantic game of finger twister reducing the frequency of pilot error during intense situations, which is fine by me.

Question about the Mk3 inline cockpit. is the IVA view just inky blackness for everyone else?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

General_Failure posted:

quote:

People build SSTO rockets all the time, though.
I feel somehow responsible for this with my recent SSTO Spaceplane spamming whilst omitting the Spaceplane suffix.

You don't need to feel responsible for me stupidity, I'm quite capable of it on my own.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Gamerofthegame posted:

You can do one better.

If you have a Kerbal EVA out and get close to the science gizmo, you can right click it and collect the experiments. You can then shove the experiment into the command pod. Anything that repeats is dumped, but if you do the same experiment in different areas it's fine.

So long as the pod ends up safe, you'll have your science.
There's also a mod called Ship Manifest that lets you move science around without needing to EVA.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
How do I get into a good orbit around a target body? Right now when I go to the Mun I have to do another burn once I'm in the Mun's SoI in order to stay there, then another burn if I want to circularize my orbit. It's not a big deal now because my rocket is probably a bit overdesigned for the distances I'm going, but maybe it'll be a big deal when my margins for error are smaller?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

stranger danger posted:

How do I get into a good orbit around a target body? Right now when I go to the Mun I have to do another burn once I'm in the Mun's SoI in order to stay there, then another burn if I want to circularize my orbit. It's not a big deal now because my rocket is probably a bit overdesigned for the distances I'm going, but maybe it'll be a big deal when my margins for error are smaller?

Iunno. The way I do it is I try to drop into the target body's SoI so that my Pe is roughly what I want. Then when my ship gets to the Pe I burn retrograde to circularize. As far as I know that's the way to do the smallest number of burns.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
How can you do an SSTO rocket with stock parts? All of my rockets so far have two stages to get out of the atmosphere and establish orbit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What are some good high science things you can do with mostly basic parts? I'm playing science mode, there are a couple levels of parts I want to unlock quickly but they're all 90 science each and that seems like a whole lot compared to what I've been getting.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Jet Jaguar posted:

YOU CAN'T CUT FUNDING FOR SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!

Maxmaps. This. 100x this.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Anyone else having issues with RealChutes in 0.9? My vessels disappear from the screen a few seconds after launch, though I can still see the smoke trail and the altitude meter keeps going up...

That bug was introduced with the latest version of the mod. Downgrade RealChute to 1.2.6.1 and it will work fine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
RealChute is consistently the buggiest mod, ever since it was created. Why?

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

I'm trying to design a shuttle with the new MK3 parts but I'm having a bit of trouble designing the engines for it. Unless I completely missed it, the game doesn't seem to have any bi-couplers or tri-couplers for the MK3 size, which is making putting engines on nicely a little difficult.

Can some others who have designed successful shuttles with the new MK3 parts post some screenshots of their engine configurations? Looking for some inspiration on making my own.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

stranger danger posted:

For bodies without an atmosphere, you will always have to do a "capture burn" to make orbit. You can also roughly circularize at the same time. Even for planets where you can aerobrake into orbit you'll still need to burn to pull up you periapsis out of the atmosphere.
KSP only does 2 body physics--your ship plus the SOI primary (e.g.space near Kerbin, space near Mun, etc), so there's no other interaction that could affect your velocity to create a capture event. So if you're passing by an airless body you'll only pick up speed from a gravitational slingshot unless you lithobrake.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

Maxmaps. This. 100x this.

Hah, yeah this is good.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Jet Jaguar posted:

Really hoping for a SimCity-esque advisor who would pop up when you looked at your KSC budget.

YOU CAN'T CUT FUNDING FOR SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!

This sounds disturbingly like I imagine NASA's Constellation Program sounded before it was approved.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

OAquinas posted:

For bodies without an atmosphere, you will always have to do a "capture burn" to make orbit. You can also roughly circularize at the same time. Even for planets where you can aerobrake into orbit you'll still need to burn to pull up you periapsis out of the atmosphere.
KSP only does 2 body physics--your ship plus the SOI primary (e.g.space near Kerbin, space near Mun, etc), so there's no other interaction that could affect your velocity to create a capture event. So if you're passing by an airless body you'll only pick up speed from a gravitational slingshot unless you lithobrake.
This last part isn't 100% true. Using the Mun as an example, if you pass in front of it in its orbital path (i.e., come in close to 180 degree Munar inclination rather than 0 degrees) you'll actually lose a little bit of speed. Not enough to capture, but enough to significantly change your orbital path around Kerbin if you do no further burns. It can make the difference between doing a big slingshot out into interplanetary space, or doing a free-return trajectory.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

stranger danger posted:

That's kind of how orbits work, though. You're not going to be able to go from a hyperbolic (flyby) trajectory to an elliptical (orbit) one without at least one burn. It's also not the number of burns that matter, but their cost; I can go from a flyby of minmus to orbiting it, landing on it, taking off again and then returning to Kerbin in less delta-v than it costs just to land on the Mun.

Your best bet is to fine-tune your approach while you're still transferring to the target orbit; small changes while still a day or more away can produce dramatic shifts in your final trajectory. Try to get the Pe and inclination in the target SoI to be where you want it, and then when you transfer to the SoI it's just a matter of waiting until Pe and burning to circularize.

karl fungus posted:

How can you do an SSTO rocket with stock parts? All of my rockets so far have two stages to get out of the atmosphere and establish orbit.

Top to bottom: parachute, 1-person pod, decoupler, four 1.25m fuel tanks, LV-T45(? I think, the one with the gimbal) motor. That will get you into orbit with enough fuel to deorbit again after. The pod can be replaced with a small satellite or something else of comparable mass.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

General_Failure posted:

...Still I am pretty stoked about getting an SSTO spaceplane to Minmus. If I wasn't such a total spaz it would have had heaps of fuel to go back too. Related to all that, I'm loving the new pilot SAS model. Before 0.90 I was abusing the RemoteTech flight computer because I wanted some of those modes. I don't want MechJeb because it takes away the parts which I actually enjoy. The extra SAS modes cut down on the frantic game of finger twister reducing the frequency of pilot error during intense situations, which is fine by me.

When contracts were introduced, I got one to test a RAPIER engine in orbit around the Mun, so I took the temporary parts and promptly made an SSTO spaceplane that could go the Mun and even circularize at low altitude there.

Unfortunately it didn't have enough fuel for a direct return home, so I plotted a finicky trick shot involving multiple tiny burns and a bielliptic transfer to LKO that would then slingshot off the Mun a month later and bring the periapsis down into Kerbin's atmosphere. Which worked great, except the final periapsis was -35km on a trajectory equivalent to returning from Minmus. Deadly Reentry and FAR skullfucked the spaceplane on reentry.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

That's kind of how orbits work, though. You're not going to be able to go from a hyperbolic (flyby) trajectory to an elliptical (orbit) one without at least one burn. It's also not the number of burns that matter, but their cost; I can go from a flyby of minmus to orbiting it, landing on it, taking off again and then returning to Kerbin in less delta-v than it costs just to land on the Mun.

Your best bet is to fine-tune your approach while you're still transferring to the target orbit; small changes while still a day or more away can produce dramatic shifts in your final trajectory. Try to get the Pe and inclination in the target SoI to be where you want it, and then when you transfer to the SoI it's just a matter of waiting until Pe and burning to circularize.

Ah, ok. I see where I was mistaken now: I saw the part of the "Tutorial for Beginners" in the OP and plain old forgot about the part of the video where he had to slow down to get into an orbit around the Mun.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

karl fungus posted:

It's possible from the very start. Pod, plus 9 of the starting tanks, plus the starting liquid engine can get to orbit and return in one stage. With the NASA pack parts, it's pretty easy, even with a payload.

But more importantly, you can use jet engines essentially as extremely efficient rocket engines, and launch SSTOs that take off like rockets, rather than like planes. Which is generally a much easier way to do an SSTO than an SSTO spaceplane.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

How do you use those little landing strut things? I want to make a little capsule that I can land with a science jr. attached, and I was gonna put those landing feet thing on it, but I can't get them to deploy.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HogX posted:

How do you use those little landing strut things? I want to make a little capsule that I can land with a science jr. attached, and I was gonna put those landing feet thing on it, but I can't get them to deploy.

Press 'g'.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

uXs posted:

I see how the strategies can be kind of overpowered... 1300 science for putting a single satellite in Kerbin orbit is quite a lot. Not complaining though, I needed a lot of science.

Outsourced Research is pretty overpowered, even at low commitments.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Geirskogul posted:

RealChute is consistently the buggiest mod, ever since it was created. Why?

Don't say anything like that in his thread, remember the drama that ensued last time :hehe:

And for the people still having trouble landing on water, ferram4 comes to the rescue with a new mod and an update to FAR to fit in with it. Better buoyancy

If you use FAR remember to update it before trying the new thing out though the post ends with 'Note: Plays best with FAR v0.14.6 or higher, but FAR is not a dependency. '

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I'm having trouble getting a circular orbit when I launch my first orbiting ship. Like I can get an orbit, but it's not perfectly circular, and no maneuver I try seems to be able to fix it. How do I get a good circular orbit?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

HogX posted:

I'm having trouble getting a circular orbit when I launch my first orbiting ship. Like I can get an orbit, but it's not perfectly circular, and no maneuver I try seems to be able to fix it. How do I get a good circular orbit?

Perfectionist tendencies (or a Fine Print contract) aside, most of the time you won't need a perfectly circular orbit. If you're within a few km it's fine.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

HogX posted:

Just burn prograde (in direction of motion) at apoapsis (highest point of orbit), or retrograde (opposite direction of motion) at periapsis (lowest point of orbit).

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

nimper posted:

Perfectionist tendencies (or a Fine Print contract) aside, most of the time you won't need a perfectly circular orbit. If you're within a few km it's fine.

The high point was like..100+ more km, which is why I'm asking. It was real lopsided, but I couldn't even it out, the orbit would just swing around and such.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Jackson Taus posted:

What are you using for a launch vehicle? An SSTO or a big-rear end rocket?

The first module was launched with a gigantic, wobbly, expensive-as-gently caress purpose built rocket that nearly shook itself apart on ascent and was almost impossible to fly, but it managed to get the station core (and attached Orbital Maneuvering Section) into LKO, so it served its purpose. The crew return vehicle and the habitat module were both launched (separately) using the Apollo-style modular launch system I showed off earlier.

I'm actually going to need an additional trip or two once the modules are installed before the station is fully functional, because the living quarters module was launched without any machinery inside in order to save weight. I deployed the hab ring because it looked cool, but it's basically just an empty shell right now. I have a crew onboard so I'll have people I can use to make EVA repairs if needed (or shift bits around with KAS), but they're living in the crew return vehicle at the moment.

I've been launching each module with a small maneuvering section attached, which is jettisoned and deorbits itself once the module is in place. I've been installing RCS thruster blocks on the modules themselves as well as the maneuvering section, to make them easier to steer. Once the module is in place I'm having a Kerbal on EVA remove the RCS units and stick them in a KAS container in the service section, for no reason other than that it makes the station look cleaner. Eventually I might deorbit the container and replace it with an empty one, or find something to use all the thrusters for.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 28, 2014

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
They should alter sandbox so that it has the career mode missions available as optional tasks.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

HogX posted:

The high point was like..100+ more km, which is why I'm asking. It was real lopsided, but I couldn't even it out, the orbit would just swing around and such.

Ah, well it's a bit backward to think of but generally when you perform a maneuver it will affect the opposite side of your orbit. So if you want to raise your orbit, you would burn prograde at the lowest point. If you want to lower your orbit, burn retrograde at the highest point.

To circularize the orbit after raising/lowering, you would burn prograde at the highest point until your Pe matches your Ap, or burn retrograde at the lowest point until your Ap matches your Pe.

It helps if you bring up the map view (M key) and slide out the navball from the bottom. You'll see these symbols on the navball:

to help you line up the direction you're pointing with the direction you're traveling.

nimper fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 28, 2014

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
For the missions to build an outpost with facilities to house X kerbals, does it have to be a single craft or can I have a small cluster of ships within a few meters of each other? Relatedly, for Orbital Station contracts does it have to go up all at once or can I construct it piece by piece?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Edminster posted:

For the missions to build an outpost with facilities to house X kerbals, does it have to be a single craft or can I have a small cluster of ships within a few meters of each other? Relatedly, for Orbital Station contracts does it have to go up all at once or can I construct it piece by piece?

I believe multiple docked craft should be fine, but it has to be a single vessel as far as the game is concerned, should apply to both orbital stations and surface bases

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Max, when your texture artist has five minutes, could you ask them to make some "THIS WAY UP ^" stickers for the probe cores? I keep putting them on upside down on some designs and it makes it hard to steer.

The_Censorship_Nazi
Jan 1, 2008
Banned in over 52 nations since 1946!

OwlFancier posted:

Max, when your texture artist has five minutes, could you ask them to make some "THIS WAY UP ^" stickers for the probe cores? I keep putting them on upside down on some designs and it makes it hard to steer.

Heh, an idea that's both practical and kind of silly! Nice to have a bit of a sense of humor on some of these, although at the same time we can't be TOO blatant about it.

For what it's worth, I approve of this - whether or not it actually gets put in is another matter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The_Censorship_Nazi posted:

Heh, an idea that's both practical and kind of silly! Nice to have a bit of a sense of humor on some of these, although at the same time we can't be TOO blatant about it.

For what it's worth, I approve of this - whether or not it actually gets put in is another matter.

Well, I know you can generally just hit space to put them upright, but I tend to put landing control cores on my rovers, both to given them autonomous movement, as well as to give me a reference point when doing a landing approach with their downward thrusters. But that means I tend to buiild them in the SPH and the parts get jumbled around a lot. So an indication on the object of which way is "up" for the purposes of control reference would be handy.

Also yeah a sticker would be a fairly kerbal solution to the problem.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
followup question: is there a planetary base building part pack that doesn't come with a spergy resource management minigame or is MKS the only game in town?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is there any kind of good mod manager that will handle updates or anything yet? I love this game but updating mods is such a hassle of digging around forums for links that I usually just go play something else.