Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
will I later regret not putting effort into this poll?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa
i just got on with no issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Yea I've played a few games with DJ and Knrosu and there haven't been any connection issues.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Has anyone in this game effectively used the sidearms? I thought I'd give a "sidearm only" thing a go for the heck of it and came to the conclusion that the first two are worthless wastes of points. The RW1 is one-hit kill but if you miss you're pretty much done. The 45 is a single shot SMG so it has all the worse aspects of a SMG without its strengths. RW1 can be good, I guess, but there's absolutely no room for error and on a gamepad I don't think I'll ever be able to use it effectively.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 28, 2014

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
Good games tonight guys. I don't think we lost a single game although that was game was rough as half of our team were under level 10 due to having just prestiged. It was also good playing with Mill Village and ShootPigsInFace.

My 17/F DTF emblem also claimed its first victim via a message calling me sexy and multiple game and party invites.

Jimbot posted:

Has anyone in this game effectively used the sidearms? I thought I'd give a "sidearm only" thing a go for the heck of it and came to the conclusion that the first two are worthless wastes of points. The RW1 is one-hit kill but if you miss you're pretty much done. The 45 is a single shot SMG so it has all the worse aspects of a SMG without its strengths. RW1 can be good, I guess, but there's absolutely no room for error and on a gamepad I don't think I'll ever be able to use it effectively.

Use the railgun pistol. It is good. Just aim high and aim for the chest and it'll one shot at full health. I picked it up earlier and held the B flag pretty well even on a 2 bar.

FallinInTheBlak fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 28, 2014

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Jimbot posted:

I feel like it's because there is a fire rate cap on all of the single shot weapons.

I miss my rapid fire 50 cal

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Just got this after not playing since Blops 2. Man this game is going to take awhile to get used to. Kill confirmed seems impossible because you're likely to die running to grab that tag. Sorry for ignoring your invite earlier wazzit but I'd be completely useless; I'm barely breaking even in kdr right now.

Seems to me the exos are a waste. Well, the ones I have unlocked at the moment are anyway.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Meanwhile I got multiple invites but either "Session is full" or, in one case, the console just deciding to not acknowledge the invite. It appeared, I told it to launch, I got the little controller vibrate to acknowledge, and nothing. Just sat there.

Such bad luck for me with this game the last couple days.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Jimbot posted:

yeah they all seem pretty lousy, in every COD before this I think I've been able to effectively run at least one sidearm as my only weapon and be effective but none of the pistols in this click with me. The Atlas takes too many shots to kill for the mobility of this game, the RW1 is OK but leaves no margin of error, the grach is kinda ok as a ghetto SAC3 if you get the akimbo variant, and the PDW has super low damage and has crazy inconsistent recoil. It seems like the pistols draw way too slow too, the few times I've felt like I wanted a sidearm I think it was always easier for me to just take overkill and an SMG for the same amount of points as a pistol with an attachment.

The fact that this game uses pick-13 and the pistols aren't very good has really devalued them, there are so many more places I'd rather use my points before I'd waste it on a pistol. Black Ops 2's pistols were almost all usable and even viable as primary weapons but I'd be hard pressed to say any of them were overpowered. Honestly the weapon balancing in this game is kind of bizarre, it seems like a huge chunk of the arsenal of this game consists of weapons that are nearly useless or objectively obsoleted by all-around statistically better choices (MK14, EPM3, auto-shotgun, 3 round burst rifle, AMR9, Lynx, Pytaek, SN6, pistols, most of the primary/secondary slot explosives) instead of just being suboptimal or niche filling like the lower-tier weapons in, say, MW2. I'd love to use more of the weapons in this game but it's like playing a game with 30 versions of the FN2000 and five usable guns. Most of them can't even be saved by getting a good elite version.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

So I just played survival with a friend who had never played the game before. I guess he did play a solid amount of mw3 survival, but was awful for the first like 4 tries at it. The we played on Horizon and got to lvl 34 with ease until we reset back to 1 :catstare:

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Jimbot posted:

The RW1 owns hard and is great fun once you get the hang of it, the rest are p bad in various ways. The last 2 pistols drove me into playing HC to level them, and even in HC the PDW is woefully weak and inaccurate. Fortunately the requirements for pistols arent to hard, 30 point blank and 30 headshot medals, so it was more a chore than anything else.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Quabzor posted:

So I just played survival with a friend who had never played the game before. I guess he did play a solid amount of mw3 survival, but was awful for the first like 4 tries at it. The we played on Horizon and got to lvl 34 with ease until we reset back to 1 :catstare:

Survival is a lot of fun. Zombie survival will be even better once spoonman writes a doctoral analysis of all possible outcomes to the nth degree

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

The fact that this game uses pick-13 and the pistols aren't very good has really devalued them, there are so many more places I'd rather use my points before I'd waste it on a pistol. Black Ops 2's pistols were almost all usable and even viable as primary weapons but I'd be hard pressed to say any of them were overpowered. Honestly the weapon balancing in this game is kind of bizarre, it seems like a huge chunk of the arsenal of this game consists of weapons that are nearly useless or objectively obsoleted by all-around statistically better choices (MK14, EPM3, auto-shotgun, 3 round burst rifle, AMR9, Lynx, Pytaek, SN6, pistols, most of the primary/secondary slot explosives) instead of just being suboptimal or niche filling like the lower-tier weapons in, say, MW2. I'd love to use more of the weapons in this game but it's like playing a game with 30 versions of the FN2000 and five usable guns. Most of them can't even be saved by getting a good elite version.

The 'Hole Puncher' ARX6 variant turns it into an viable weapon. You can usually kill people in one burst with it.

I've been doing pretty well using the S12 as a secondary with Overkill. Its pretty good at getting people off flags in Domination.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The RW1 I'm hit or miss on. Like I said before I'm just bad with the gamepad. Sometimes I get a good run going other times I'm just absolute junk. I've improved a little since I got the red-dot sight. I love playing with SMGs and they all seem to be OK, at least I've done decent with them but the game does seem to favor the heavy hitting weapons more than the rapid-fire ones. Especially so since headshots aren't instant kills (I have to shoot them a couple times in the face with a SMG to kill them).

What's the knife upgrade supposed to do on sidearms?

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Jimbot posted:

faster melee

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Jimbot posted:

The RW1 I'm hit or miss on. Like I said before I'm just bad with the gamepad. Sometimes I get a good run going other times I'm just absolute junk. I've improved a little since I got the red-dot sight. I love playing with SMGs and they all seem to be OK, at least I've done decent with them but the game does seem to favor the heavy hitting weapons more than the rapid-fire ones. Especially so since headshots aren't instant kills (I have to shoot them a couple times in the face with a SMG to kill them).

It's also loving excellent for getting 'kill an enemy whilst sliding' medals you need if you're going for camo unlocks.

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

:siren: 34 minutes to clan war :siren:

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Unfortunately I won't be participating in this clan war, currently getting drunk in Saint Maarten, woe is me.

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

yet... you're posting in the thread??

anyways..

Fatty_McLumpkin fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 28, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

Dedication knows no borders.

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

we got a 4 man team going for dom right now, if 2 more want to join up or hit HCKC if you're feeling like playing solo that would help.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I have some work to get done but I'll be on this evening, hopefully invites will actually work so I can play in a group.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Shannow posted:

It's also loving excellent for getting 'kill an enemy whilst sliding' medals you need if you're going for camo unlocks.

Yeah, for the life of me I cannot find any videos of someone using the RW1 so I can develop a strategy but someone asking for tips to counter this was at the top of the results.

I'm kind of bummed headshots aren't one-hit-kills. When did that change in the series? I managed to nail a guy in the noggin with my RW1 in one match but because it was outside of the effective range he shrugged it off and killed me while I was reloading. I normally don't give a poo poo if I die or whatever but that was one instance where I called bullcrap.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Like Black Ops 2, AW has very low headshot multipliers. Unlike BLOPS 2, AW's weapons have a much bigger damage drop-off at longer ranges.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mill Village posted:

Like Black Ops 2, AW has very low headshot multipliers. Unlike BLOPS 2, AW's weapons have a much bigger damage drop-off at longer ranges.

Ah. I never played those so I wouldn't know how it stacks up. I played 4 way back when but I can't remember how it handled headshots and the like. I was just kind of jarring to me that I get headshot indicators but the guy still stands. Its been a while since I played Killzone MP but I don't think it was like that in that game.

I finally unlocked the murder knife for the RW1 (boy that was tough) and it's the most fun I've had in multiplayer yet. It's just so freaking silly. Sucks one some maps, though and it's kind of inconsistent but it's just so dumb looking I don't care.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 28, 2014

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, for the life of me I cannot find any videos of someone using the RW1 so I can develop a strategy but someone asking for tips to counter this was at the top of the results.

I'm kind of bummed headshots aren't one-hit-kills. When did that change in the series? I managed to nail a guy in the noggin with my RW1 in one match but because it was outside of the effective range he shrugged it off and killed me while I was reloading. I normally don't give a poo poo if I die or whatever but that was one instance where I called bullcrap.

Er, I pulled off a good number of 1 hit longshots with the basic RW1, so not sure how you managed to get headshot hitmarkers, though I note on the weapon stats chart the neck has a much lower multiplier than the head so maybe you were a fraction too low?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
It shouldn't kill with one headshot very far out at all (70*1.4=98) - roughly the range where shotgun pellets disappear, it should lose the OHK headshot?

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Dom capped.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

We tried to make a start on HCKC but we all left after one game where half our team had 1 bars as people wanted to take breaks. After playing 2 games and having terrible connection issues such as not being able to reload my gun or go around corners I got disconnected from the Advance Warfare servers and when I tried to reconnect it was continuously failing to load my profile so I've just given up now.

If anybody starts up a group later and I'm about hit me up and I'll try again then.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
When does this clan war end?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

anyways..

Going by this, this one lasts a day.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Shannow posted:

Er, I pulled off a good number of 1 hit longshots with the basic RW1, so not sure how you managed to get headshot hitmarkers, though I note on the weapon stats chart the neck has a much lower multiplier than the head so maybe you were a fraction too low?

It may be the case. I'm honestly not sure how the numbers worked. I was just griping at how much of a bummer it is when I see the headshot indicator goes off but no dead enemy. I'm sure under the hood the numbers didn't add up to "dead enemy player". Also being gone from the series (and really modern shooters in general) I'm not used to that.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Driftor posted his XMG video today and we were not in it. I guess he didn't get any good footage while we were crushing him.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Mill Village posted:

Driftor posted his XMG video today and we were not in it. I guess he didn't get any good footage while we were crushing him.

There was some great footage of XMGs from our game, but they all involved KNROSU killing Driftor with them.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

The ignominy.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The Domination node dropped down to 48 wins. I guess we need 7 more wins to actually claim it?

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

So my xbox-home buddy picked this up. Normally I wouldn't waste my time with more CoD garbage (blops 2 killed it for me) but it's free this go around. What's all the OP poo poo? I've been using the giant laser to hip-fire people down while im bunny hopping but I feel there's got to be something better.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

AS1 and AK12

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The BAL is still great after its (slight) nerf. I got one with +2 damage that just melts people.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

HBRa3 Bear Fist or Average Joe are both excellent; I prefer the Bear Fist because it improves mobility whereas the Average Joe decreases mobility but adds damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Which platform are you guys playing on?

Just picked this up for PS4..

• Locked thread