Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Trivia posted:

The game should let you unlock the gravitometer with the first probe core, letting you send probes to other bodies to record gravity data, enabling you fill out your own in-game dV tables.

I'd also love a camera science instrument, which could be upgraded along the tech tree from grainy black-and-white images to color. That and a science lab. "It was unknown whether or not Minmus tasted like mint. Late one night, an employee had a breakthrough. We need you to land a probe on Minmus and drill a rock sample, then bake at 375."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Jet Jaguar posted:

I'd also love a camera science instrument, which could be upgraded along the tech tree from grainy black-and-white images to color.

Oh poo poo, I like that idea. What if the game applied various grainy filters to the images you send back? Like, what if you actually got to see the images back at mission control? You can make your own NASA-style space photos and videos! Jool slowly spinning while your probe falls into it, or a grainy as hell landscape shot on Duna..

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

I'd also love a camera science instrument, which could be upgraded along the tech tree from grainy black-and-white images to color.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/46365-0-90-Hullcam-VDS-0-90-update-Updated-16-Dec

quote:

We need you to land a probe on Minmus and drill a rock sample, then bake at 375."
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64972-0-90-DMagic-Orbital-Science-New-Science-Parts-V0-9-1-(12-18-14)

I would love stuff like this in the main game, but these are great to tide you along until Squad have the time to focus on padding out these details.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

karl fungus posted:

Oh poo poo, I like that idea. What if the game applied various grainy filters to the images you send back? Like, what if you actually got to see the images back at mission control? You can make your own NASA-style space photos and videos! Jool slowly spinning while your probe falls into it, or a grainy as hell landscape shot on Duna..

I used to make those back when planets first came out. I got rid of them, sadly. With EVE and such one could make them a lot prettier.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Weren't there screens posted in the thread fairly recently of an IVA for probes that was a control room with monitors showing camera feeds?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Trivia posted:

The game should let you unlock the gravitometer with the first probe core, letting you send probes to other bodies to record gravity data, enabling you fill out your own in-game dV tables.

IRL, you can tell mass with visual observations from afar.

e: Which means you don't need to send any probes to get an average surface gravity.

The gravitometer would help you understand local gravity, as gravitational fields can be lumpy, which would indicate concentrations of more dense or less dense material. The lumpiness can perturb low orbiting satellites, which it de-orbited some craft around our moon, and could be a hand-wavy reason to limit time-warp at certain altitudes.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 30, 2014

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I decided to install MechJeb to help with a couple of tedious tasks, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting it working. The last time I installed it was well over a year ago, on a different PC.

I downloaded the newest version (updated for .90) from Curse and extracted the MechJeb2 folder to KSP's GameData folder. Right now, it's the only custom thing in there, along with Squad and NASAmission.

When I start the game in Sandbox mode, I see two copies of the AR-202 MechJeb component in the Command & Control section. One costs 550, the other costs 750. They're otherwise identical, as far as I can tell.

I can add either one to my vehicle, but when I go to launch, I don't get a MechJeb window or button anywhere on my screen.

Am I missing something here? I remember setting this up on a very old version of KSP and didn't have any issues.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Weren't there screens posted in the thread fairly recently of an IVA for probes that was a control room with monitors showing camera feeds?

Probe Control Room: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67450-WIP-IVA-PLUGIN-ProbeControlRoom-1-0-beta8a-IVA-All-the-things!-new-3D-RPM-17

It was last updated for 0.23.5, but worked fine in 0.25 and should work fine in 0.90 too.

The camera feeds require the Hullcam mod, though, and you have to actually mount camera parts on your vessel to get the camera feeds.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

karl fungus posted:

It would be nice if you could "draw" orbits in the map view, like dragging a circle around, and then have a maneuver node calculated to get to that orbit for you. Sort of like a reverse of the current system. That seems a little more intuitive.

I don't know, I think the current system is great for gaining an intuitive understanding of how maneuvering in space works. I'd just be happy if the maneuver node system were a little more complete, like having better ways of matching orbits (zooming and panning all over is a pain, since you have to get your target point in view and still be able to see the node). Maybe something like a dialog box with numeric values for prograde, radial, and normal that you can manipulate? Then you don't have to keep the node itself in view.

It'd also be great if you could see a list of upcoming nodes and their delta-Vs, like so:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
While you're rebalancing techtree: why are the docking port juniors AFTER the main docking port unlock? If anything it seems like you'd want to go jr => normal => sr for docking port availability. I almost never use juniors anyway, so having them in the tree after the 'regular' docking port is wierd.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Edminster posted:

so I could just delete the parts folder from EL and everything would run okay as i have MKS? i'm sorry for being an rear end with all these questions, i'm just snippy because this is turning into a 'contains everything you need! (batteries not included, major assembly required, product may not resemble image on box)' situation and you are quite literally the only game in town when it comes to planetary base parts.

You don't need EPL at all.

As I understand it, it works like this:
  • MKS/OKS works out of the box with no additional dependencies, it just doesn't do much except look pretty and let you mine minerals that you can send back to Kerbin for money if you want to.
  • If you have TAC Life Support installed, MKS becomes life support enabled and the parts for producing and recycling food, water and oxygen start doing things.
  • If you have Extraplanetary Launchpads installed, RocketParts production and offworld construction using MKS becomes enabled.
  • If you have Karbonite installed, I don't think MKS itself changes any, but the Karbonite mining & refining parts interoperate nicely with MKS storage and whatnot.

Have I missed anything?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

ToxicFrog posted:

You don't need EPL at all.

As I understand it, it works like this:
  • MKS/OKS works out of the box with no additional dependencies, it just doesn't do much except look pretty and let you mine minerals that you can send back to Kerbin for money if you want to.
  • If you have TAC Life Support installed, MKS becomes life support enabled and the parts for producing and recycling food, water and oxygen start doing things.
  • If you have Extraplanetary Launchpads installed, RocketParts production and offworld construction using MKS becomes enabled.
  • If you have Karbonite installed, I don't think MKS itself changes any, but the Karbonite mining & refining parts interoperate nicely with MKS storage and whatnot.

Have I missed anything?

It got resolved later; the trouble was the only part that says you need another mod for it to actually work is the flex-o-tubes. everything else in MKS up to and including the tutorial intimates that it is necessary (kerbitat, hab domes) and perfectly functional (orbital shipyard, launchpad) right out of the box, so i was confused + frustrated when it turned out to be a lie.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

IRL, you can tell mass with visual observations from afar.

e: Which means you don't need to send any probes to get an average surface gravity.

The gravitometer would help you understand local gravity, as gravitational fields can be lumpy, which would indicate concentrations of more dense or less dense material. The lumpiness can perturb low orbiting satellites, which it de-orbited some craft around our moon, and could be a hand-wavy reason to limit time-warp at certain altitudes.

Yeah, I know astronomers are pretty good at deriving information purely from observation, but keep in mind that this is a game and therefore gameplay trumps all.

Giving players a blank slate to fill in affords a sense of discovery through information gathering, in parallel with the abstracted 'science' mechanic. It's more tangible.

It could also be useful for procedurally generated Kerbol systems, if that ever becomes a thing.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64972-0-90-DMagic-Orbital-Science-New-Science-Parts-V0-9-1-(12-18-14)

I would love stuff like this in the main game, but these are great to tide you along until Squad have the time to focus on padding out these details.

There are some really cool parts in this mod. Magnetometers! Orbital cameras! Animated doors! Drills! I'm so going to build Viking-esque probes for Duna.

It's excellent to see the progression of satellites from early versions to now. The first satellite I threw around the Mun had a Stayputnik, 4 static panels, a couple of batteries, a thermometer, and a long antenna. The one I just launched has four science experiments, a dish, batteries, and a bunch of 1x6 solar arrays. Makes me wish for a museum of technology to install at KSC, sorta like how there are old rockets and replicas on display at the Smithsonian or Canaveral.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Jet Jaguar posted:

There are some really cool parts in this mod. Magnetometers! Orbital cameras! Animated doors! Drills! I'm so going to build Viking-esque probes for Duna.

It's excellent to see the progression of satellites from early versions to now. The first satellite I threw around the Mun had a Stayputnik, 4 static panels, a couple of batteries, a thermometer, and a long antenna. The one I just launched has four science experiments, a dish, batteries, and a bunch of 1x6 solar arrays. Makes me wish for a museum of technology to install at KSC, sorta like how there are old rockets and replicas on display at the Smithsonian or Canaveral.

That is...an excellent idea! I'd love to have a hall of fame room with a gallery of past spacecraft/missions/Kerbonauts. Let you choose what to display in it, customize the entries, maybe make the hall of fame sharable between other players so you can show off your accomplishments to each other in a standardized format.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I captured my first asteroid today! I really am enjoying the contracts system. It gives me a motivation for trying things I wouldn't have tried in previous versions. :jeb:

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Though I would be happy to see a wider variety of science for probes to do in the early game (especially kinds that don't need/benefit from sample return)...

I'd like to see the general science part placement on the tech tree reversed. That is, small parts that provide a small bit of science, like the thermometer, accelerometer, and pressure sensor should unlock early, and allow full transmission rates. Having them assist with the player creating a displayable map of dV, atmospheric pressure and terminal velocity at layers up through space and so forth would be great as well.

Also, include RoverDude's Sounding Rockets mod as stock, to allow the use of those small parts, and so we can recreate the Explorer 1 missions early on.

Save the larger "science bays" (Science Jr and Mystery Goo) for mid tech tier.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Welp this looks loving awesome http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/85630-Plugin-0-90-Routine-Mission-Manager-v003-%28beta%29

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

SimplyCosmic posted:

I'd like to see the general science part placement on the tech tree reversed. That is, small parts that provide a small bit of science, like the thermometer, accelerometer, and pressure sensor should unlock early, and allow full transmission rates. Having them assist with the player creating a displayable map of dV, atmospheric pressure and terminal velocity at layers up through space and so forth would be great as well.

Also, include RoverDude's Sounding Rockets mod as stock, to allow the use of those small parts, and so we can recreate the Explorer 1 missions early on.

Save the larger "science bays" (Science Jr and Mystery Goo) for mid tech tier.

One of the books I received for my birthday a while back was Soviet Space Dogs. Inspired by that, I'm wondering what's a good place to learn to get started on modeling in order to build kerbal-dog (kog? kanine?) and monkey capsules to recreate Sputnik II or the early Mercury test launches.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

SimplyCosmic posted:

That'd be nice, although I really think delta-V maps should come as a tracking station upgrade, since once you have maneuver nodes, you basically already have delta-V maps.

(That said, I think seeing delta-V in the VAB is way more important...)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

WhiteHowler posted:

I decided to install MechJeb to help with a couple of tedious tasks, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting it working. The last time I installed it was well over a year ago, on a different PC.

I downloaded the newest version (updated for .90) from Curse and extracted the MechJeb2 folder to KSP's GameData folder. Right now, it's the only custom thing in there, along with Squad and NASAmission.

When I start the game in Sandbox mode, I see two copies of the AR-202 MechJeb component in the Command & Control section. One costs 550, the other costs 750. They're otherwise identical, as far as I can tell.

I can add either one to my vehicle, but when I go to launch, I don't get a MechJeb window or button anywhere on my screen.

Am I missing something here? I remember setting this up on a very old version of KSP and didn't have any issues.

If there are two parts, you must have another install or config file somewhere. I don't know about the curse version, I get MJ direct from the authors site Try here. Delete the one you have and unpack the latest build from Mumech. See if that fixes it for you.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ratzap posted:

If there are two parts, you must have another install or config file somewhere. I don't know about the curse version, I get MJ direct from the authors site Try here. Delete the one you have and unpack the latest build from Mumech. See if that fixes it for you.
I deleted everything, grabbed the one you linked, and it's still doing the same thing -- even on a brand new Sandbox save. It's possible that something messed up my config files, but the only other mod I've ever had installed is Kerbal Engineer Redux, and I've never manually edited anything.

I guess I can uninstall and reinstall KSP entirely. Ugh.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

I'm running into a pretty crappy bug now that is hindering all of my EVA activities. My kerbals won't move relative to my camera any more, or turn. They will only walk forward, no matter what buttons I press. Sometimes, if I jump enough with them, they will go into a "rotate mode" so to speak, and no matter what button I press they will only keep turning clockwise until I hit space again.

Anyone else run into this? If so, how did you fix it? It's ruining the game for me at the moment. :smith:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a secret trick to landing spaceplanes in the middle of nowhere? It seems like the only way to really lose any airspeed is a sequence of abrupt 30-degree flares where you touch the ground as gently as possible each time and hope that you don't take an random bounce and shred a wing.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

withak posted:

Is there a secret trick to landing spaceplanes in the middle of nowhere? It seems like the only way to really lose any airspeed is a sequence of abrupt 30-degree flares where you touch the ground as gently as possible each time and hope that you don't take an random bounce and shred a wing.

Parachutes.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

androo posted:

I took on my first orbital rescue mission last night. Just started playing again with .90. I took it mostly because I had just enabled the strategy to give %25 of my income in science points per 33 bucks, and was hoping I'd get like 400 science as an advance. Turns out you only get it on completion, I guess?

Anyway, the kerbin was floating around 99km-101km in a perfect equatorial orbit, so it was a lot like a normal mun launch. I tried to time it so I'd be close when he was passing but he was about 100km ahead of me when I normalized my orbit. I decided the best way to meet him would be to burn prograde at the AP to make my trip "longer" until, after a x amount or rotations, he would catch up. This worked great, however he overshot me and was 20km ahead as our paths crossed again. So I burned retrograde at the AP to pull my other side in.

What wound up happening was my slightly oblong orbit would have me overtake the kerbin on the inside, then have him overtake me on the outside, while I was praying we'd get close enough when the orbits touched (there was an incredibly small deviation, so the orbits looks mostly identical.) But every time one of us would pass the other by just a little bit too much (at one point he was 1.2km away. I realize now it would have been easy to just fly closer but I felt like any minor adjustment meant catastrophe for my orbit.) I had to keep making tiny, calculated adjustments to make our orbits very similar, but make mine either slightly faster or slower.

Finally (after an IRL hour) we made a perfect pass and I was able to take over the kerbin and jetpack over to the ship. It felt loving amazing to see the two objects so close in such an immense space, I honestly felt like a rocket scientist at that moment. However, I was still low on the tech tree and I didn't have enough room for two Kerbins in my MK1 pod. I let the new one in just to complete the mission but kicked him back out, and had him hold onto the ladder to see if he would survive re-entry. By tilting the ship I made it so he wouldn't slide off easily, but once we starting burning up during atmospheric re-entry he popped off and exploded somewhere behind me. Poor guy :smith:

If you have patched conics, set up a maneuver node at the point your orbits overlap and play with the prograde/retrograde until you've got a super-close approach on the next pass (like 1-4km). Then on that pass, burn such that you cut the "target speed" difference - you can burn towards the target prograde/retrograde as long as that reduces the relative speed, then burn such that it moves your prograde to overlap target prograde and repeat. Once you're down to being a few KM apart and have a single digit m/s closing speed, you're most of the way there and can honestly just swap over to the Kerbal.

Also if you don't have RemoteTech installed, you can stick a probe atop your MK1 pod, empty the pod in the VAB, and launch with an empty pod and a probe doing the piloting.

If you have TAC Life Support installed, I noticed that it seems like the orbiting Kerbal's EVA suit's life support starts ticking down when you accept the contract, so you only have like 12 hours or whatever to get him. That's plenty of time to launch a ship and rendezvous with him, but you've got to make it your first mission. I could be wrong in this because I've only gotten the mission once though and I might have missed something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Then I have to bring along an engineer to repack them. :-/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

withak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gXfK4ypirI Do this, but better.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

withak posted:

Yeah, it'd be great if there were flaps or something for planes so you could increase the drag easily. Even landing on the runway can be hairy sometimes.

Probably the best you could do now would be to attach some retro-rockets or something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

withak posted:

Are you using air‐breathing engines? Set an action group to toggle them because the throttle has lag, but shutdown instantly cuts their thrust to zero.

withak posted:

So what? Install a probe core for SAS capability.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I cut the throttle 15km out and hardly slow down at all until I start the flare & bounce routine.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, it'd be great if there were flaps or something for planes so you could increase the drag easily. Even landing on the runway can be hairy sometimes.

Probably the best you could do now would be to attach some retro-rockets or something.

There are, though? Your control surfaces can double as airbrakes, or elevons can anyway, and this functionality is tied to the 'Brakes' action group by default (unless you've remapped the controls, this is 'B' on the keyboard).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

There are, though? Your control surfaces can double as airbrakes, or elevons can anyway, and this functionality is tied to the 'Brakes' action group by default (unless you've remapped the controls, this is 'B' on the keyboard).

Maybe I'm just poo poo at building (or flying) planes, but I find that's often not enough. Some dedicated flap parts would be nice.

But maybe this will get better when aerodynamics are improved...

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

Maybe I'm just poo poo at building (or flying) planes, but I find that's often not enough. Some dedicated flap parts would be nice.

But maybe this will get better when aerodynamics are improved...

Perhaps we can all draw inspiration from the past. Operation Credible Sport!
Read more about it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sepratron braking it is!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

withak posted:

I cut the throttle 15km out and hardly slow down at all until I start the flare & bounce routine.

How high up are you when you cut throttle? All of that altitude has to be bled off too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

withak posted:

Kerbin’s lower atmosphere is so soupy that it takes very little time for any of my planes to reach landable speeds if I cut the engines and dive to ground level. You aren’t using FAR or NEAR, are you?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Thesoro posted:

This game forgives a lot of foolish things but your thing was a bit too foolish to forgive.

How was I supposed to know that shoving a plane over a grass field at breakneck speeds would cause problems?

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Anybody ever have problems with rover wheels sticking to the runway? I can't get my rover to move, it's like the wheels are glued to the runway and I can't figure out why...

The brakes are off.
They are oriented the right way.
The motors are enabled on all four wheels.
The wheels spin.

I can't figure out what the problem is and it's driving me crazy! Anybody else run into this?

edit: Now, without any real reason, they are working again. I have no idea what changed but they are working now...

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

what do you mean I need to follow the orbital direction displayed on the map? i got it to minimal deviation. sheesh. picky.