Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Screaming Idiot posted:

Not sure if anything in-game supports this theory, but I always thought of Ripper Mode as him activating his pain receptors.

Also, another thing I like about MGR:R is Raiden's laugh when you go into Ripper mode. He sounds so happy! :3:

That was my interpretation too, that normally he's pulling his punches a little bit and is more conscious about his actions but activating Ripper mode is him dehumanizing himself and facing the bloodshed by going all out and pushing his cyborg body into overdrive, which is why it consumes battery. It's increasing his strength and force of his cuts rather than his speed and perception like Zandatsu mode.

-EDIT-

Edmond Dantes posted:

I think they missed out on something in MGR with the whole Jack The Ripper thing: if they had kept the white blood from MGS4 for the whole game but turned it red when ripper mode was active, that would have been awesome.

They intended to do something like this, actually! Cyborgs were supposed to keep their white blood, including Raiden. There was going to be a big reveal when you defeat Jetstream Sam that he bleeds actual red blood, showing that he was never a real cyborg except for his right arm and was otherwise just a badass in an exosuit.

But for whatever reason they didn't think it looked right without red blood, so they changed it and dog-shapes robot buddy just mentions that Sam wasn't a crazy cyborg.

Did any of that need to be spoilered? It's not even/just over a year old so I tried to be on the safe side.

-EDIT2-

VVVVV
Damnit! Beat me to it.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Dec 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Edmond Dantes posted:

I think they missed out on something in MGR with the whole Jack The Ripper thing: if they had kept the white blood from MGS4 for the whole game but turned it red when ripper mode was active, that would have been awesome.

It would also have been a visual aid to finding out that Sam was just a normal dude, and not a cyborg, if he had bled red instead of white.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I can't decide if Revengeance's completely robotic enemies bleeding red is a sign of sloppiness or if it makes the game better.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dr Christmas posted:

I can't decide if Revengeance's completely robotic enemies bleeding red is a sign of sloppiness or if it makes the game better.

They use the same semi-organic muscle fiber bundles that the cyborgs do which necessitate the use of the artificial blood.
:goonsay:

Alternatively it's hydraulic fluid.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr Christmas posted:

There's a codec that explains why blood used to be white and why it's red now in Metal Gear-land but I can't be assed to find it. Just know that they do try to explain it with reasoning other than "Real Life Japan's violence in media laws have changed recently".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Japanese version still has white blood though and it was specifically designed with that in mind. (Sam's cutscene doesn't make a ton of sense without it.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CJacobs posted:

There's a codec that explains why blood used to be white and why it's red now in Metal Gear-land but I can't be assed to find it. Just know that they do try to explain it with reasoning other than "Real Life Japan's violence in media laws have changed recently".

And the in-universe explanation is that the white blood required weekly dialysis while the red one doesn't.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The blood thing is pretty dumb. But something that I thought was cool is that Sam never seems terribly interested in Desperado's goals and only really gets excited when there's a prospect to fight someone interesting like Raiden. In his DLC you find out that this is because Sam was only very recently hired, and had intended to kill everyone in it, but was convinced/threatened/blackmailed into joining after Armstrong destroys his arm and shoulder.

Plus, the motorcycle that Raiden steals to leave Chicago is Sam's.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010
Been playing Dragon Warrior VII on PS1, and it's pretty great how at various points in the plot, villages, etc. get attacked by monsters. The NPC villagers and monsters will "battle" by backing up, running at each other, bouncing off, then doing it all over again. In an endless goofy looking stalemate for however long it takes for you to do whatever is needed to advance the plot. Usually defeat the monsters' boss or something.

At one point, a town's idol is destroyed, allowing monsters to overrun the village. As you make your way through the town, amid townsfolk fighting demons, a scripted event occurs where a demon incinerates a farmer's cow right in front of him. The farmer then yells :

"Monster! I'm going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" :black101:

He then proceeds to do just that.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, unfortunately 90% of the cutscenes are prerendered (they're why the download is so huge) so stuff like that won't show up.

I hate it when games give you silly outfits and don't show them in cutscenes. Tales games are great about this, though, you can go through the game with all the characters in bathrobes or Power Rangers outfits if you want. Xenosaga games sometimes do this with the unlockable swimsuits, too.

Speaking of which, in Xenosaga 3 there's a dungeon set on a rotating platform attached to a central shaft. I noticed I was moving without holding onto the analog stick and wondered if my old-rear end PS2 controller was broken. Nope, it's just the game modelling centripetal force and pulling you towards the sides of the room! :v:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Gamma Nerd posted:

I hate it when games give you silly outfits and don't show them in cutscenes. Tales games are great about this, though, you can go through the game with all the characters in bathrobes or Power Rangers outfits if you want. Xenosaga games sometimes do this with the unlockable swimsuits, too.

Speaking of which, in Xenosaga 3 there's a dungeon set on a rotating platform attached to a central shaft. I noticed I was moving without holding onto the analog stick and wondered if my old-rear end PS2 controller was broken. Nope, it's just the game modelling centripetal force and pulling you towards the sides of the room! :v:

It's even more annoying when the pre-rendered cutscenes don't deliver visuals that are any better than what can be pulled off in-engine. The only major difference between the max settings in-engine cutscenes and the pre-rendered cinematics in MGR was the hair had a little more detail and the lighting and shadows were a touch softer. Which just isn't enough to justify 20+ gigs worth of HD video.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

This cut-scene from Sleeping Dogs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgfsIm8ukkI
In this outfit:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

Dead rising is always hilarious for this, when Chuck was comforting his daughter wearing a flaming cow skull and borat-style thong with high heels.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Croccers posted:

This cut-scene from Sleeping Dogs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgfsIm8ukkI
In this outfit:

Oh man, I did the exact same thing my first playthrough of GTA: Vice City. When you first meet the leader of the biker gang his second line is "Well, you don't look like a cop." While Tommy is standing there in a police uniform. Found a clip someone uploaded of them doing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwT272cr3LI

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In Valkyria Chronicles every single soldier you can put in your squad has unique attributes like advantages when near women or men, or allergies that make them lose HP near grass, etc, as well as specific other soldiers they fight better around. They also all have unique lines when you put them in the squad or remove them.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Esroc posted:

It's even more annoying when the pre-rendered cutscenes don't deliver visuals that are any better than what can be pulled off in-engine. The only major difference between the max settings in-engine cutscenes and the pre-rendered cinematics in MGR was the hair had a little more detail and the lighting and shadows were a touch softer. Which just isn't enough to justify 20+ gigs worth of HD video.

Sometimes the videos are used to hide a load, but I also agree it is lame for them to be that big and still look worse than my system rendering it live.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I can't remember what game/games have it, but for games with obscene loading times, they need to incorporate a little mini game or something. Or let you twirl around a model or something to pass the time, I think Skyrim had that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Someone (Namco I think) has a patent on that.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

mng posted:

I can't remember what game/games have it, but for games with obscene loading times, they need to incorporate a little mini game or something. Or let you twirl around a model or something to pass the time, I think Skyrim had that.

One of the Dragonball games had a fun thing like that where you could mash X and see how many Z-Swords Gohan could yank out of the ground before loading was done.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

haveblue posted:

gently caress you, Namco

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

haveblue posted:

I think Namco has a patent on full-blown arcade games in the loading screens, but stuff like Platinum's 'training room' loading screens are fair game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Here's the patent in question.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
That just reminds me of what Banpresto did with one of the Super Robot Taisen games on ps3. The game has a stupidly long install time but while it installs the game has you play its tutorial stage.

I thought that was a pretty cool compromise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

That just reminds me of what Banpresto did with one of the Super Robot Taisen games on ps3. The game has a stupidly long install time but while it installs the game has you play its tutorial stage.

I thought that was a pretty cool compromise.

A lot of PS4 games let you do something while the game installs, with varying degrees of success.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Good news: it expires in less than a year (around the same time as MP3, coincidentally). I hope it doesn't result in developers not giving a poo poo about loading times.

Also related, I've heard that the Xbox had to have a different order of the face buttons because Nintendo had patented their specific order, but I have no idea if that's true.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't know if that's true but they do have a patent on the best way to build a dpad which is why all other dpads are terrible.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Okami had minigames on the loading screens on the PS2 version only. The Wii and PS3 versions have loading times too short, but the PS2 version had some atrocious times. It's really only one game where you have to tap X in time with some appearing pictures, and another where you have to press it as fast as you can to fill up the screen with pictures. But they passed the time, and if you did well, you'd get extra Demon Fangs to trade with.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

mng posted:

The loading times aren't long on some versions of the game, so I think the main reason you have stuff like the Skyrim's movable objects or Oblivion's loading bar is so you can tell when the game is just being slow and when it's crashed. Even with all the autosaving they do, every loading screen transition is a gamble.

muscles like this? posted:

A lot of PS4 games let you do something while the game installs, with varying degrees of success.

It's an improvement over Heavy Rain's "here's some paper, fold an origami crane while you wait for this huge install."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Thank you Ubisoft for letting me use grenade launchers on wildlife in Far Cry 4. Doubly so when the ragdoll glitches out and a rhino, bear or yak gets flown two or more times they normally would, and the sheer face cliffs to watch them tumbling down. :allears:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Thank you Ubisoft for letting me use grenade launchers on wildlife in Far Cry 4. Doubly so when the ragdoll glitches out and a rhino, bear or yak gets flown two or more times they normally would, and the sheer face cliffs to watch them tumbling down. :allears:

It's great isn't it? I keep going back to the m79 as a sidearm, it's just too fun to fling nades out of a moving vehicle!

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
In Dragon's Dogma, there's a system where you can romance literally every NPC in the game (including little kids, Capcom didn't exactly think the whole thing through) and you might not know about it until a cutscene where the dragon kidnaps them. It'll probably be the NPC you talked to the most, like a merchant or an innkeeper. Someone decided to go with the court jester just to see how it would look and good god is it hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUbLL3J0__o

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dragon's Dogma is the best.

One of the little things I love about it is since you get to create both your character and main pawn, you get two people to play dress up with.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mng posted:

It's great isn't it? I keep going back to the m79 as a sidearm, it's just too fun to fling nades out of a moving vehicle!

I was so happy to discover I could use the M79 in the buzzer.

gently caress Demon Fish :dukedog:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

a kitten posted:

Dragon's Dogma is the best.

One of the little things I love about it is since you get to create both your character and main pawn, you get two people to play dress up with.
The whole pawn system is really cool. I've never seen anything like it.

For people who don't know, you can get other player's main pawns as followers and when they're outleveled, send them off with a gift (usually just some random junk in my inventory) for the person who made them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Celery Face posted:

The whole pawn system is really cool. I've never seen anything like it.

For people who don't know, you can get other player's main pawns as followers and when they're outleveled, send them off with a gift (usually just some random junk in my inventory) for the person who made them.

Skulls. Everyone gets skulls. :black101:

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I just finished playing the 2012 Syndicate and really liked how ambiguously your character was portrayed. Pretty much all of the missions put civilians or just non-combatants in your line of fire and there wasn't any negative or positive result from killing or sparing them, it was entirely at your discretion. I went out of my way to minimize civilian casualties by not using area of effect weapons or lethal abilities and it was curiously satisfying to do a DART scan after a fight and note that the only dead bodies on the ground were enemies with weapons.

And after everything it just cuts to credits, no payoff at all for doing the right or wrong thing so it was super faithful to the world they built.

I loved this game. More people need to check it out. The only weird thing is how your hud finds it important info to label all garbage cans and stuff.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

or allergies that make them lose HP near grass

That's loving brilliant

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

a kitten posted:

Skulls. Everyone gets skulls. :black101:

That's another dumb thing I liked about Dragon's Dogma, the sidequests are chained together in a way that by the time you beat one, you'll probably meet the requirements or be at the location to finish another. There's a quest for killing some skeletons/zombies that gives you like 60 skulls as the reward. Then a little while later there's a quest that requires a bunch of skulls to complete. SKULLS :v:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

CJacobs posted:

There's a quest for killing some skeletons/zombies that gives you like 60 skulls as the reward. Then a little while later there's a quest that requires a bunch of skulls to complete. SKULLS :v:
Goddamn it, I just sold all of those skulls. :doh:

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

dpbjinc posted:

Also related, I've heard that the Xbox had to have a different order of the face buttons because Nintendo had patented their specific order, but I have no idea if that's true.

Don't know about that, but it's the same layout as the Dreamcast used, swapping the A-B and X-Y from Nintendo's layout.

With all these different layouts over the years, it makes something as simple as pressing X something you may have to stop and think about.