Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was playing Far Cry 3 earlier and I walked into a cave and looted a box. For a split second it felt just like New Vegas. All I could think was how awesome a Fallout game would be in this engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Byzantine posted:

Wasn't the Fat Man nerfed in NV? I vaguely recall it being underwhelming compared to 3's.

It's as powerful or more if you use the (super-expensive) Big Kid mini-nukes. The radius on those is so large that you'll kill yourself if you aren't firing at something very distant. There's also the Tiny Tots variant, which launches 10~ mini-mini-nukes and is great for crippling.

The Fat Man feels very balanced in Hardcore, since you can only take a few shots with you, but I can see people never using them, since they're never mentioned or seen in the story, or even used by any NPCs.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

2house2fly posted:

most of it's pretty good, but I never found any use for the arc welder. It does the least damage of any ECP weapon, even with the bonus EMP damage, its only advantage is that it looks cool. There must be a time when it's the best weapon to have but I have no idea when it would be.

Doesn't it go through armor very effectively?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

If you're already in the late teens I would start the DLC soon; it throws experience at you and you don't want to end up too over-leveled or the scaling will be insane, and there's so much content that all four pieces combined are practically a second game in and of themselves.

The DLCs alone have literally more hours of gameplay than some AAA titles. And that's actual gameplay, not just padding poo poo out with puzzles and pointless backtracking.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

chitoryu12 posted:

The DLCs alone have literally more hours of gameplay than some AAA titles. And that's actual gameplay, not just padding poo poo out with puzzles and pointless backtracking.

you cannot be talking about Honest Hearts (too short) or Old World Blues (backtracking) here

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Cheston posted:

...I can see people never using them, since they're never mentioned or seen in the story, or even used by any NPCs.

It'd be fun fighting an NPC using the Experimental MIRV in Fallout 3.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cheston posted:

The Fat Man feels very balanced in Hardcore, since you can only take a few shots with you, but I can see people never using them, since they're never mentioned or seen in the story, or even used by any NPCs.

A single boomer uses one near the Nellis front gate, which can make for some funny fights there along with all the other missiles and grenades if you start a ruckus.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JawKnee posted:

you cannot be talking about Honest Hearts (too short) or Old World Blues (backtracking) here

Honest Hearts is short if you just zip through the main quest and get everything over with, but you can drag it out (not to the extent of Old World Blues) by searching the locations and doing the sidequests. And unless my memory is faulty, all of the "backtracking" in OWB is just fast traveling back to the Sink to turn in completed objectives.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

most of it's pretty good, but I never found any use for the arc welder. It does the least damage of any ECP weapon, even with the bonus EMP damage, its only advantage is that it looks cool. There must be a time when it's the best weapon to have but I have no idea when it would be.

Honestly, the Arc Welder feels more useful if you go into Lonesome Road really early, grab it, and then go back to the Mojave. It's a fairly decent starting weapon.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

closeted republican posted:

Deathclaws are just as easy as they are in F3 if you play things right. Combining a drug cocktail of Slasher, Med-X, and Buffout with an AMR that has Match ammo, Minigun or LMG with AP ammo, or a high DPS Unarmed/Melee weapon will shred through a pack of Deathclaws in seconds. Hell, even Turbo makes them a piece of cake.

Late but the Gobi Scout Rifle from a distance is good for deathclaws. Up close, the Riot Shotgun with the Shotgun Surgeon and And Stay Back! perks make the deathclaw cave up north of Novac with the Legendary Deathclaw a breeze.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I once killed 5 Deathclaws with the silenced .22 pistol. I also killed 3 Cazadores with time bombs since I ran out of long fuse dynamite and didn't have the perk required for tin grenades.

Those three star GRA challenges loving sucked if you didn't want to kill named NPCs.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Thanks again for the advice everyone. I'll probably start on the DLC pretty soon then, from what I've been hearing.

Honestly, I don't really get the ammo crafting... so I suppose I should look into buying super-duper armour-piercing bullets for deathclaws and such? I don't usually follow the stats, I just use whatever I have ammo for. I'm probably approaching it too casually.

I'm looking forward to the DLC though. I thought 3's was okay but nothing really extraordinary - I hear NV's is better. The Pitt in particular unimpressed me, especially the contrived way of balancing the morality choices (sure you can free the slaves... if you KILL THIS BABY!!!). Point Lookout had a neat atmosphere though, if also too many Ghoul Reavers.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yeah, I agree it's a bit contrived since even without the existence of the baby, siding with the "noble savior" probably leads to a worse scenario than siding with the "evil bad guy". It didn't need that cartoon-esque act of evil to possibly swing your opinion on that choice.

Hmm, now that I've been thinking about it, it's funny how the movie Interstellar and The Pitt might be sharing a theme.
SPOILERS FOR INTERSTELLAR AND MORE SPOILERS FOR THE PITT OBVIOUSLY
In Interstellar Dr. Mann mentions that Plan A exists so that people would work on Plan B, since few people would put the survival of the human species above that of their own survival. Now it's been a year since I played The Pitt, but isn't Ashur essentially using slavery as the building blocks for a brighter future? People wouldn't want to labor in the tough conditions of the factories when there is no direct benefit for them. They are more concerned with their own survival and their freedom. Ashur sees the big picture, the other guy just wants to end the suffering (even though the wasteland probably wouldn't offer them a better existence).

It's actually quite frightening how you might end up justifying slavery in The Pitt. Most of the content in the DLC isn't that memorable, but that moral choice definitely is.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 28, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Byzantine posted:

Equip Prostitute gear and hunt them with a Combat Knife.

Wasn't the Fat Man nerfed in NV? I vaguely recall it being underwhelming compared to 3's.

it got re-buffed in the final patch to have a huge fuckoff radius and one shot deathclaws that are not alphas and mothers

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Thanks again for the advice everyone. I'll probably start on the DLC pretty soon then, from what I've been hearing.

Honestly, I don't really get the ammo crafting... so I suppose I should look into buying super-duper armour-piercing bullets for deathclaws and such? I don't usually follow the stats, I just use whatever I have ammo for. I'm probably approaching it too casually.

Ammo crafting probably won't be necessary(buy a GRA anti-materiel rifle and some .50 explosive rounds and kiss deathclaws goodbye), but can certainly help a lot. Plus if there's a weapon you prefer you can break down ammo for other weapons you don't want to use and make more for the one you like. Quick guide:

You can either create ammo or break it down. To break it down you just need the ammo in your inventory and a certain amount of Repair skill, but you can only ever break down the basic ammo, not any variants. So you can break down .357 magnum rounds but not .38 special or .357 hollow points. To make new ammo you need Lead, Powder, Primer, and a case for the ammo you want to make. Like all ammo ingredients, you can get these cases from breaking ammo down or buy them from vendors (individual cases are often free iirc), and you also "retrieve" some after firing a weapon that uses that ammo- fire a .357 magnum 10 times, for example, and you'll probably get 3 of those cases back in your inventory.

Ammo recipes annoyingly don't give the exact qualities of that ammo, but there's no shortage of ammo ingredients in the game so I recommend making one of each ammo type so you can easily check which does what. There's also a full ammo list on the wiki if you want a quick reference for what ammo does more damage, penetrates armour, etc. Looking at .357 magnum again, the JFP Hand Load version(which you camn make with a perk) has:
Damage x1.25 (meaning it does 25% more damage than the normal ammo)
Target DT -3 (meaning it ignores 3 points of enemy armour)
Spread x0.8 (meaning the gun is a little more accurate when firing this ammo)

Meanwhile the hollow point (which you can't make but might want to stock up on) has:
Damage x1.75 (meaning it does 75% more damage than the normal ammo)
Target DT x3 (meaning enemy armour is three times as strong against this ammo- hollow point is best used against enemies with low armour, like cazadores and nightkin)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ammo crafting seems like something for a game with much more scarcity than NV. It might even fit better in 3 since that game isn't as open with options for weapons.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm looking forward to the DLC though. I thought 3's was okay but nothing really extraordinary - I hear NV's is better. The Pitt in particular unimpressed me, especially the contrived way of balancing the morality choices (sure you can free the slaves... if you KILL THIS BABY!!!). Point Lookout had a neat atmosphere though, if also too many Ghoul Reavers.

And then if you side with the guy they don't even kill the baby! It really was terrible, though I did like the locales (both the treetop city and the area where you hunted ingots). And it was still wonderful compared to the absolute fuckfest that was Mothership Zeta.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also the Metal Blaster is possibly the best gun in the game. 9 crit rolls per shot? Yes, please!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

And it was still wonderful compared to the absolute fuckfest that was Mothership Zeta.

You can say that of almost any DLC in existence, though.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
What were the biggest issues with Mothership Zeta?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

What were the biggest issues with Mothership Zeta?
The vast majority of it consists of you walking through boring corridors and shooting at bullletspongy aliens. It's basically the same problem as Operation Anchorage where for some baffling reason Bethesda decided to take their open-world RPG and fart out a linear shooter DLC.
It might have worked if FO3's combat mechanics where actually good, or if Bethesda put a lot of care in creating a neat atmosphere and story for the DLC. But well... FO3's combat just isn't strong enough to carry the game on its own and the nicest thing I can say about MZ's writing and design is that it's not worse then that of the base game.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Oh good, because I felt the exact same way.

But I felt that The Pitt was the strongest of Fallout 3's DLC. I really like the atmosphere and oppressive nature is has. The only thing is that apparently the DLC was designed to offer the player more "moral gray areas" but the morality choices were still really black and white. Honestly that's what I think Fallout 3 had over New Vegas, though. Just better atmosphere; New Vegas also doesn't have all the random events 3 has so its overworld feels a lot more empty. And also New Vegas's setting just felt like a normal desert hell hole western, as opposed to a post-nuclear wasteland. But atmosphere and setting doesn't sell games, or make them fun.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Point Lookout is actually the best DLC. The Pitt was a close second though.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Honestly, I never played the Pitt because Point Lookout, Mothership Zeta, and Operation: Anchorage soured my taste for 3's DLC. I don't even really like 3 as a game, but like wow Anchorage was the lamest thing I'd ever seen shoved into a game.

If I wanted to play a modern military shooter, I definitely wouldn't have opened up Fallout, Bethesda.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The Pitt is far and away my favorite dlc in this or any series. Felt so incredibly gritty and "real." But I also didn't have a problem with anchorage and I never did play point lookout now that I think about it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Point Lookout has kind of a cool setting but the enemies are all tiresome to fight.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

StandardVC10 posted:

Point Lookout has kind of a cool setting but the enemies are all tiresome to fight.

That's really the only issue though, the rest of it is a 50s horror movie set in a swamp with a surprise sci-fi twist at the end.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gyshall posted:

Point Lookout is actually the best DLC. The Pitt was a close second though.

Point Lookout is much, much better when you remove the scripted damage boost and DR all of the enemies are given by Bethesda to try and forcibly make the DLC hard.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah, I pretty much just stealthed my way past most of the bullet sponge rednecks and tribals as much as possible in Point Lookout and had a lot of fun exploring. I really liked the one sidequest where you're completing that Chinese agent's mission two hundred years later.

Zeta though, Jesus. It was stupid, ugly, long and tedious, and early on I found rather than wasting bullets and stimpaks dumping 100+ rounds into each alien while they blast at you it was far easier to just immobilize them with Paralyzingly Palm and then beat them to death. It still took like five minutes per alien though, which is the opposite of anything approaching fun.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Anchorage was just a terrible idea all around, but Mothership Zeta had potential to be really good which IMO was squandered. It could have been like the OWB of Fallout 3 but it turned out really linear with frustrating slugfest fights and no real opportunities for exploration.

I really liked The Pitt and Point Lookout, but both were much more flawed than the NV DLC. The Pitt had pacing problems and a story that really fell apart towards the end to a point where there's not really any closure at all (and I honestly was unsure If I'd finished it or not). On the other hand The Pitt had some really cool items and memorable areas to chew through. Plus the awesome cliché post-apocalyptic style.

Point Lookout felt a bit directionless to me, I think it needed a more powerful central thread to drive the story forward and bring the lobotomy and the brain-in-jar subplots together. Also the items in Point Lookout basically sucked and the enemies were unsatisfying bullet sponges. On the other hand the writing was better than the other DLCs (and the base game) and the setting was the most familiar and Fallout-y. Point Lookout also had a bunch of cool optional areas to explore with secrets about the area to uncover.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I did enjoy the DLCs' employment of scripted animations, like the opening mansion fight in Point Lookout having a tribal shoulder ramming through a door (or wall?) as you go down the hallway.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Seashell Salesman posted:

Anchorage was just a terrible idea all around, but Mothership Zeta had potential to be really good which IMO was squandered. It could have been like the OWB of Fallout 3 but it turned out really linear with frustrating slugfest fights and no real opportunities for exploration.

I can agree with this. It could've been mega-cheesy with some elements of horror using some interesting and unfamiliar visuals. Some of that mood comes out, but it's almost all in the easily-missable captive logs... and they're easily-missable because the scenery is so samey, you've seen it all once you escape from the prison at the very start. Also, while I like how Fallout incorporates flavour text (i.e. through terminal entries), I would really like something more on top of that, so give me that stuff up front, I know there are many more interesting and entertaining ways of depicting "bad aliens" from films going back to the '50s. The only "stand-out" parts of Mothership Zeta I can think of are two bits when you stand on a balcony pressing buttons (boring), the big cargo hold filled with toy horses (which I think you can miss entirely?) and the space walk, which just feels like an opportunity for them to say, "hey, you're in space, pretty cool, eh??". Then you've got bits like the medic seeing the aliens experimenting on his squadmates that are (probably) unintentionally hilarious... and the scenery's still all the same (with added dry ice!).

What was weird to me about the aliens being spongy was that it only applied to some of them. Most of them were made of paper and had some fairly neat-looking gore effects to watch a handful of times... then occasionally there would be this one, seemingly no different to the rest, that would take much longer to take down.

Operation Anchorage was just completely boring to me, it's like it didn't go far enough in either direction. There's an entry in the base with the Brotherhood Outcasts where a programmer complains that the simulation is too outlandish because the CO involved wants to look really good in it... but in practice it's not wacky enough for that. On the other hand, it doesn't really do enough to expand slightly more seriously upon the background, not for me anyway. Just shootouts and shootouts in blank white environments... okay, it's Alaska, but still.

I've started Honest Hearts now. It's pretty fun, I like the story and character ideas. Looks good in HD. I wish Follows-Chalk had more than three (if that) things to say.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Mothership Zeta felt really rushed. A lot of the levels feel like there's supposed to be a new "boss" enemy or something to spice it up, rather than alien clone #26. And the final fight with the mothership UFO that...I still don't understand how to do. I just push buttons and win. I also vividly remember a gun that doesn't even have a Pipboy icon, or something along the lines of that.

On a side note, apparently there's dialogue files in the game that you can pull up. They're just .txt files so anybody can view them, but you can just go on the Fallout Wiki if you're lazy. It's the subtitles for all characters including the dialogue you use to initiate the responses. A lot of them are neat because they usually include notes taken by the voice actor directors. Some even have leftover dialogue from scrapped ideas, like Father Elijah from Blood Money being a ghoul named Abe, and others also have just neat things you rarely or never see in game, like 8 from OWB's translated sound clips.

8 posted:

@@[*.......]@@... @@[*.......]@@..? @@[*......*]@@. {AUDIO: "Um... a little embarrassed about this, but yes, I creamed hard into your gun."}

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Theta Zero posted:

On a side note, apparently there's dialogue files in the game that you can pull up. They're just .txt files so anybody can view them, but you can just go on the Fallout Wiki if you're lazy. It's the subtitles for all characters including the dialogue you use to initiate the responses. A lot of them are neat because they usually include notes taken by the voice actor directors. Some even have leftover dialogue from scrapped ideas, like Father Elijah from Blood Money being a ghoul named Abe, and others also have just neat things you rarely or never see in game, like 8 from OWB's translated sound clips.

Where are the notes from the voice actor directors?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
There's none for 8 because he didn't have a voice to direct. There's a lot for characters with a lot of varying emotion like Dala or Cass but very rarely does the director have any fun with the notes.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Theta Zero posted:

Mothership Zeta felt really rushed. A lot of the levels feel like there's supposed to be a new "boss" enemy or something to spice it up, rather than alien clone #26. And the final fight with the mothership UFO that...I still don't understand how to do. I just push buttons and win. I also vividly remember a gun that doesn't even have a Pipboy icon, or something along the lines of that.

It wasn't that Elijah was a ghoul named Abe, that was Obsidian's way of keeping people from deducing things about Dead Money's plot before it was released, as those files are in the main game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Those aren't notes from the voice director (they wouldn't have any way to access the game files and put them in), but from the writers. Nitpicky, yeah, but thought I might as well mention it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

By the way, people who think the Fallout 3 worldspace is more interesting are wrong. There is no giant dinosaur building in Fallout 3.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I remember Arcade's and Dean Domino's dialogue files having frequent notes. Also, whenever a character pronounces Caesar as kaizar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Pwnstar posted:

By the way, people who think the Fallout 3 worldspace is more interesting are wrong. There is no giant dinosaur building in Fallout 3.

I've ranted and raved at long ends about how Fallout 3 is just wrong in general, as a Fallout game and as just a post-apocalyptic setting.

But primarily, it lacks Dinky the Dinosaur and the wild wild west.