Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ochowie posted:

Hey Android thread. I'm considering switching from an iPhone 6+ to either an N6 or a Moto X. I have the N6 on order but I'm not sure about a phone bigger than the 6+. Also, I kind of like the Moto Maker option with the Moto X. What are the general thoughts on which of the two phones to get?

It's a toss-up really. The camera in the N6 is supposed to be better I think, but you don't get all the cool Moto stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

It's a toss-up really. The camera in the N6 is supposed to be better I think, but you don't get all the cool Moto stuff.

I hate to do this, but I might "rent" the N6 from Best Buy and see if it really is too big. My main concern is that the 6+ sticks out of the pocket of some of my jeans so the N6 might be way too big. The Moto stuff along with Moto Maker is what keeps pulling me towards the X.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ochowie posted:

I hate to do this, but I might "rent" the N6 from Best Buy and see if it really is too big. My main concern is that the 6+ sticks out of the pocket of some of my jeans so the N6 might be way too big. The Moto stuff along with Moto Maker is what keeps pulling me towards the X.

Just tape your current phone to a cardboard cutout equal in size to the n6 and use that to test.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ochowie posted:

The Nexus 6 is only barely bigger than iPhone 6+. If the iPhone is too big, the Nexus will be. If it isn't, the Nexus won't be either.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Ochowie posted:

Just be wary of the battery life on the Moto X. It's absolutely nothing to write home about. It gets me though a full day (like from taking it off charge to when I go to bed), but sometimes just barely. Other than that it's a great phone.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

Ochowie posted:

Well since the N6 is taller/wider than the 6+, the issue of it not quite fitting snugly in your pockets may very well persist.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but my Note 4 loses my work's wifi username/password credentials as well, but only after i disable/re-enable wifi via the toggle. It stays persistent over a reboot and everything, only when I toggle wifi while at work does it require me to re-enter my login and password info.

I never toggle wifi. This issue just happens every day when I get to work. It's the weirdest thing.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Moto G LTE, and when doing a quick Google search to make sure I'm getting the right version, I see all this noise about the 2nd gen Moto G LTE leaked on a Brazilian site. I've been using babby's first prepaids before this so I don't have any idea what release cycles are like; could the updated LTE phone be coming out anytime soon, or is this a "couple quarters away" kind of situation?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

kazmeyer posted:

So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Moto G LTE, and when doing a quick Google search to make sure I'm getting the right version, I see all this noise about the 2nd gen Moto G LTE leaked on a Brazilian site. I've been using babby's first prepaids before this so I don't have any idea what release cycles are like; could the updated LTE phone be coming out anytime soon, or is this a "couple quarters away" kind of situation?

Could be soon, but the only difference between the 1st gen Moto G with LTE and the second gen are the bigger screen and front facing speakers.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Could be soon, but the only difference between the 1st gen Moto G with LTE and the second gen are the bigger screen and front facing speakers.

Plus better camera.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bronin posted:

Plus better camera.

Yeah, I guess on paper the camera on the second gen is better but in reality the improvement is barely noticable (2nd gen moto G is my daily driver).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

kazmeyer posted:

Also look around for a 2013 Moto X. They're not much more and are a lot better device.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I have a problem with my phone, and I don't know if its a Lollipop problem or if its a "I dropped my phone one too many times on concrete" problem. I have a Nexus 4 that I have had since fall last year.

I've been having overheating issues, especially on WiFi, but I can't remember if there was a pattern. Initially I thought it was a random software issue, but then I touched the upper back of the phone and it was much, much hotter than it would normally get with heavy use. The battery usually tanks along with it overheating, but I have only started looking at the battery graph.

The battery doesn't seem to be bulging, it lays completely flat on a desk.

Here's the most recent battery graph. The big gap is when it shut off while I wasn't paying attention. I turned it on again, for that small spike at about 11am, it turned off then I turned it back on to get the screenshot, and shut it off again.

Its not an environmental heating issue, because its kind of cold here. :v:

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
My girlfriend is having all sorts of issues with her N4 after the Lollipop update as well. The phone locks up or shuts off randomly, we aren't exactly sure what it's doing. Battery graph is all hosed like your screenshot as well. Hopefully they fix this poo poo quickly because the N4 was a great phone prior to Lollipop.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If you're ok with doing a factory reset, you can always put KitKat back on it and not update it back to Lollipop for awhile. Then you can be more confident that it is or is not a hardware problem.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Lollipop has actually been fine on my N4 - battery life is still terrible, but it is consistent and there haven't been any random shutdowns or drains.

I was going to change the battery out, but after using my mothers new Moto G I'm kinda tempted to change to one of them instead. The G is cheap, feels good and the screen is better than my 4. Also the camera would be fine for my usage.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, I guess on paper the camera on the second gen is better but in reality the improvement is barely noticable (2nd gen moto G is my daily driver).

I read somewhere that the camera was better besides the obvious megapixel bump. Never seen any comparison pics though to be honest.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
When I upgraded my N4 to Lollipop the battery died way too quickly. When I checked the battery stats it showed the phone was always awake no matter what. I couldn't track down the problem so I finally wiped it and installed a factory Lollipop image and it has been fine since.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

A note beforehand: I was stupid and posted this in the haus of tech support where it didn't belong so I am just going to paste this here. Some people said this is probably a hardware issue but I wanna ask the pros.

Problem description: I bought my new Galaxy S5 around two weeks ago. It is branded. The custom Android from Samsung is bloated and utter garbage imho.
A few days ago random apps started crashing. Something Awful Browser, Youtube, and sometimes even device-stuff like "Settings" or "S-Voice". Sometimes even "com.google." things. At times the device completely hosed and rebooted as well.

Now, let me be clear - this is completely orginial. I did not root it, nor did I put any software other than Apps from the PlayStore on it. I have done nothing with this device.
Today in the morning it suddenly crashed, randomly, stuck in a bootloop. At times it managed to boot only to have a program crash after 30 seconds and resetting my phone. At one point it started to work again.

Today in the evening it just commited suicide, I think. Phone stuck in bootloop, when it gets up a program crashes and throws it back into the loop. I read a bit on google, went into the advanced mode and cleared the cache which worked once. Things like Hangout crashing, and so on. I decided gently caress it - cache clear, complete phone reset. Didn't do anything. I got into the set-up process once in which another program instantly crashes. At this point it is like sitting there with two six-shooters with five bullets each. Will the phone boot? Lucky you. Now you gotta pull the other trigger and see if an important program crashes.

Attempted fixes: Clear Cache, reset phone. Removing of SD, SIM, and flip-cover. Bang head against wall.

Recent changes: No. Got more mad.

--

Operating system: Up-to-date Android for Samsung Devices.

System specs: G900

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Altough "S5 completely hosed want to throw it out the window" is not a good google term.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 30, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

A note beforehand: I was stupid and posted this in the haus of tech support where it didn't belong so I am just going to paste this here. Some people said this is probably a hardware issue but I wanna ask the pros.

Problem description: I bought my new Galaxy S5 around two weeks ago. It is branded. The custom Android from Samsung is bloated and utter garbage imho.
A few days ago random apps started crashing. Something Awful Browser, Youtube, and sometimes even device-stuff like "Settings" or "S-Voice". Sometimes even "com.google." things. At times the device completely hosed and rebooted as well.

Now, let me be clear - this is completely orginial. I did not root it, nor did I put any software other than Apps from the PlayStore on it. I have done nothing with this device.
Today in the morning it suddenly crashed, randomly, stuck in a bootloop. At times it managed to boot only to have a program crash after 30 seconds and resetting my phone. At one point it started to work again.

Today in the evening it just commited suicide, I think. Phone stuck in bootloop, when it gets up a program crashes and throws it back into the loop. I read a bit on google, went into the advanced mode and cleared the cache which worked once. Things like Hangout crashing, and so on. I decided gently caress it - cache clear, complete phone reset. Didn't do anything. I got into the set-up process once in which another program instantly crashes. At this point it is like sitting there with two six-shooters with five bullets each. Will the phone boot? Lucky you. Now you gotta pull the other trigger and see if an important program crashes.

Attempted fixes: Clear Cache, reset phone. Removing of SD, SIM, and flip-cover. Bang head against wall.

Recent changes: No. Got more mad.

--

Operating system: Up-to-date Android for Samsung Devices.

System specs: G900

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Altough "S5 completely hosed want to throw it out the window" is not a good google term.
Sounds like it's got bad NAND.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

LastInLine posted:

So...hardware error, get a new one?

fake e: On the note that many people have here with the N4 and the battery issues. I had the same with mine. Opened up the phone after I got my new one ( :suicide: ) and the battery was all bloated and hosed up. The phone randomly crashed and lost connection. It also often lost 16% charge the second you unplug it.

I also read the entire google help thread about it. Many people have the same problem.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yes, get it replaced, it's clearly a hardware fault.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

In my inexpert opinion, yep. If you can't even do basic setup without it panicking then it's, to use the the technical lingo, pretty hosed

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
I bought a OnePlus One during open buy.

Don't buy one.

First, it refuses to stay connected to LTE, even though my Moto G LTE has rock solid LTE connection. Second, GPS took approximately 20 minutes to lock on.

It's going back. If their RMA process takes forever, then I'll open a Paypal dispute.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

baka kaba posted:

In my inexpert opinion, yep. If you can't even do basic setup without it panicking then it's, to use the the technical lingo, pretty hosed

Just out of technical interest, is it possible to check the integrity of the NAND flash with ADB?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For all you N4 users with the battery issues, it's been two years, it's time to upgrade. You can open it up and change the battery if you want (might as well replace the USB daughterboard while you're at it) but really, why would you? It's old, lacks LTE, and is on the far end of support.

Maybe it's time to move on.

Michaellaneous posted:

Just out of technical interest, is it possible to check the integrity of the NAND flash with ADB?
ADB requires you to be into Android, I would imagine that would have to be done in fastboot and Samsung phones lack fastboot as far as I know.

Even then you still have the problem where if the NAND controller can't sort out the bad spots in it, how is it supposed to report them to the tool? It's fairly obvious from the behavior that the storage is causing either data corruption or errors in reading it, diagnosing it further won't make it work properly. There's nothing to do but replace the entire thing.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 30, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

For all you N4 users with the battery issues, it's been two years, it's time to upgrade. You can open it up and change the battery if you want (might as well replace the USB daughterboard while you're at it) but really, why would you? It's old, lacks LTE, and is on the far end of support.

I'd love to, but my wife balks. "It's not even two years old" (got it for Christmas 2012, but didn't come in until mid-February), "It's so expensive!" (she's used to subsidized pricing, even after explaining it to her). Bah.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Even then you still have the problem where if the NAND controller can't sort out the bad spots in it, how is it supposed to report them to the tool? It's fairly obvious from the behavior that the storage is causing either data corruption or errors in reading it, diagnosing it further won't make it work properly. There's nothing to do but replace the entire thing.

Yes, I realize that diagnosing the error will not fix it, but I would still like to be certain.
You also have to understand that the service in this country is terrible. So when I get there with nothing they'll be like "Yeah but this and that and bla", so I'd rather show them a print of a dmesg log that shows exactly what's wrong.

e: Also, what I also don't quite realize how, how can this NAND Flash break down so insanly fast in the matter of two weeks?

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 31, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

LastInLine posted:

Wait, battery degradation is still that severe?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

Yes, I realize that diagnosing the error will not fix it, but I would still like to be certain.
You also have to understand that the service in this country is terrible. So when I get there with nothing they'll be like "Yeah but this and that and bla", so I'd rather show them a print of a dmesg log that shows exactly what's wrong.
You just aren't going to get the level of certainty you want. I mean, I understand why you'd like it but there just isn't anything that does it. Assuming you bought it new you're just going to have to deal with either your carrier or Samsung to replace it.

Hace posted:

Wait, battery degradation is still that severe?
It's not nothing and two years is about what devices are expected to last. It's not like the battery driver ever worked properly at all and the battery itself is certainly aging and not what it used to be. The radio in the N4 also never worked properly and oscillated between wakelocking and dropping for years, never quite being able to reliably work even before Google broke it further by splitting off part of it into the Android software in order to break LTE which caused all sorts of nagging issues. The radio, I'll remind you, has a tremendous effect on battery life and so can't ever really be ignored when discussing battery life.

If you're on T-Mobile you've probably also got issues with changing network topography affecting your reception. They're moving a lot of stuff around and it certainly can affect battery life as HSPA signals move to lower power and harder to receive bands.

In short, you can keep hunting down these problems but it's a game that's been going on for two years and they're obviously no closer to making the battery driver or the radio work properly. I doubt they're going to resolve them prior to the device's end of life.

Eremys
Oct 20, 2004
indigi bought me this account cause I'm a schlub with no credit :(
Question for those who have purchased phones through Google in the past. How do they usually handle warranty repairs? So they most often just do a replacement/swap or do they make you send it in first and be without a phone while they repair it and send it back? Also, do they have an out-of-warranty repair option like apple does; for example, if you bust the screen and want to get it repaired? I have a N6 for reference.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eremys posted:

Question for those who have purchased phones through Google in the past. How do they usually handle warranty repairs? So they most often just do a replacement/swap or do they make you send it in first and be without a phone while they repair it and send it back? Also, do they have an out-of-warranty repair option like apple does; for example, if you bust the screen and want to get it repaired? I have a N6 for reference.
They ship to you then you ship back. There's a hold on the payment card you used to purchase the device.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Maybe it's just me, but a phone with a life expectancy of only 2 years seems pretty short!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Hace posted:

Maybe it's just me, but a phone with a life expectancy of only 2 years seems pretty short!

The phone is fine; their batteries however...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hace posted:

You sound like a consumer instead of a carrier or manufacturer whose bottom line relies on selling you phones.

How do you think LG looks at it?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Michaellaneous posted:

I don't know about specifically checking the NAND, but that's how I worked out my GNex was officially toast

I forget the specifics but you can run adb shell when you're in... recovery I think? And from there you can run fsck on every partition - I'm not super familiar with it so I don't know all the testing options you can try, but mine threw up a bunch of journalling errors and couldn't restore any superblocks, and when I tried to do it manually with every superblock copy none of them would work. If you know what the hell I'm talking about!

e- you should just get it replaced though y'know

LastInLine posted:

ADB requires you to be into Android, I would imagine that would have to be done in fastboot and Samsung phones lack fastboot as far as I know.

If you're in fastboot you can only connect with the fastboot utility (as opposed to adb) as far as I know, but you can get into adb from the recovery menu if you install the usb driver while it's in that mode. Not saying that will help (and I obviously don't remember much about this pain in the rear end) but it's not a fastboot thing, at least

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 31, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I don't know about specifically checking the NAND, but that's how I worked out my GNex was officially toast

I forget the specifics but you can run adb shell when you're in... recovery I think? And from there you can run fsck on every partition - I'm not super familiar with it so I don't know all the testing options you can try, but mine threw up a bunch of journalling errors and couldn't restore any superblocks, and when I tried to do it manually with every superblock copy none of them would work. If you know what the hell I'm talking about!

e- you should just get it replaced though y'know
I'll never remember that ADB works in recovery. I swear I've forgotten that a hundred times.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

I'll never remember that ADB works in recovery. I swear I've forgotten that a hundred times.

Yeah it's the only way I could do anything. I can't write to the thing at all, and booting into Android makes it almost instantly reset when it tries to do something or other. Can't even wipe it, it's preserved for future generations. It belongs in a museum!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I was going to make a "My N4 battery works just fine :smug:" post, but then remembered my current phone is a refurb that's less than a year old.

I got it when my first N4's battery was doing that thing where it swells and might explode in your face :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Yeah it's the only way I could do anything. I can't write to the thing at all, and booting into Android makes it almost instantly reset when it tries to do something or other. Can't even wipe it, it's preserved for future generations. It belongs in a museum!

Your Cell Phone is a Piece of poo poo