Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Devo posted:

You know what time it is??? It's HS Draft Prospect Ranking TIME!!!

Starting Pitchers

1) Tony Glynn (87) - Unless there's some super college stud I can't see this is the sure fire A-1 can't miss top pick of the draft. He's potentially the best LHP in the entire world when he's done growing. His only knock is a low velocity but who gives a poo poo?

2) Brian Rader (73) - This is one of those times I hope I'm missing somebody because wow that dropped off quickly. Brian is a guy. He throws with his left hand. He will probably pitch in the major leagues for eight or ten seasons and make a small amount of millions each season doing so. No one is ever going to say, "Yay I got Brian Rader!"

3) Dustin Thomas (72) - Swing man with really good peripherals and mediocre to bad splits. Basically he's the kind of guy I like to sign cheaply which is probably why my pitching staff is falling apart these last couple seasons.

4) Herm Tebeau (71) - RHP who is decent to good everywhere except control. He'll get plenty of action on teams that like to play around with low control guys and also rebuilding squads.

5) Chance Roache (68) - Chance Roache is trash and he's ranked 22 on my default board. Hoo boy.

Relief Pitchers

1) Billy Wood (73) - A lefty peripheral monster with mediocre/bad splits. He can pitch a lot of innings as a reliever if he doesn't get knocked out of games too early.

2) Henry Borders (73) - Interesting STA/DUR combo here where both are in between what a typical starter or reliever would have. I'm not really sure how many innings to peg this guy at. He's decent but not outstanding; his weak left split and P2 are holding him back a bit.

3) Wesley Beam (71) - A high durability reliever with outstanding pitch ratings and control. Splits are good but not great. He should pitch a lot of innings for someone as a main SuB type.

4) DJ Kydd (70) - Has kind of a stupid name but he should be a decent ML SuB. Left split is a little weak but he's got great control and a great P1 rating and he can pitch in a lot of games with his durability.

5) Turner Woodall (64) - His OVR is really hurt by his STA/DUR combo. He's not going to pitch a ton of innings but he'll get a lot of action on rebuilding teams. Could be a tandem B pitcher I guess if you want to get crazy with your rotations?

Catcher/DH

1) Lee Nichting (75) - Lee is a really good defensive catcher who can actually swing the bat a bit. Add in his high durability and he's like a baby Vinny Stewart with less power. He will be a highly sought after player and I could see him getting bounced around a lot of teams as a primo trade chip.

2) Doug Yelich (70) - He has a few decent ratings here and there but as a total package they just don't fit together. He can play a decent but not great catcher. He has great contact without the speed or splits to really use it. He really screams Quad A to me.

3) Reagan Nilsson (63) - The Good: He has a potential max pitch calling rating and great power. The Bad: He has completely terrible splits and batting eye. The Ugly: He's made of glass and might never achieve his potential after 16 injuries in the minors.

First Base/DH

1) Horacio Montanez (82) - Any time a player has a projected 82 rating and is listed as a first baseman you know the bat is going to be legit. Horacio has enough power to get by but he's not a monster there by any means. His value comes in his contact/right split/batting eye combo which will make him an on base machine. I peg him more as a DH but teams that care less about 1B defense could play him there. It really all comes down to if you'd rather have your 1B/DH hit 50 dingers or OBP .430. Most of us don't get a guy who can do both.

2) Tanner Harrison (77) - Harrison is a much better defensive 1B than Montanez but his bat is the opposite type. He'll knock 40-50 balls over the wall for you without much effort but with his lower splits and eye he'll probably struggle to OBP much over .350 in most parks. If gyroball doesn't draft him you should consider trading him to gyroball because he will give you guys for him.

Second Base

1) Louie Herman (82) - Someone is going to get stuck with Louie and if they're drafting anywhere near the top they should be ashamed of themselves. Welcome to inflated OVR Hell. Herman has absolute poo poo range for a 2B/CF without the arm to even pretend to play 3B. His contact/speed is top notch but his splits are mediocre at best, his batting eye is blah, and his power is negative. Then again he's got an 82 OVR so he's gotta be good.

2) Zach K'aaihue (71) - THE RANDOM NAME GENERATOR HAS BLESSED US IN THIS MOST HOLY OF SEASONS. Superb defensive 2B, Triple A level bat.

3) Harry Benoit (68) - Doesn't really have the defensive chops to play 2B on most teams. Has ok contact/power but overall his bat isn't that great. Might abuse steroids and kill his family after years of head trauma.

Third Base

As usual this is a wasteland

Shortstop

1) Andre Hunter (78) - On paper looks like a good enough shortstop to get by in the majors for a long time. But if you look closer you notice that if he doesn't hit absolutely 100% of his defensive projections he's going to be an overrated scrub whose bat can't carry him on the hot corner. Buyer beware.

2) Danny McEnerney (75) - Does anyone want a 3B with no power at all? Because ultimately that's what you're getting here. On the positive side he hits lefty and with his right split and eye he should get on base a pretty good amount. Just don't expect anything but singles and walks.

3) Henderson Williams (73) - Another guy who can hold down the SS position if he hits all his defensive ratings to the max. But he's got a long way to go on a couple of them and his bat is no great shakes at any other position on the field. The 50 makeup is not going to help matters one bit.

4) Dave Carter (71) - He will play 3B on someone's AAA team and take up a space on their 40 man until one season they realize they're paying him over 70k for no reason whatsoever and DFA him into the cold, dark night.

5) Bernie Lopez (70) - Max power, monster defender. The rest of his bat package sucks but if Lopez's health/makeup don't hold him back he could easily be the gem of this SS class.

Left Field

1) Troy Borland (79) - Yet another inflated OVR guy. Good contact and ok eye with bad splits and power for a COF. Has ok speed but not enough to abuse that contact. Bad health means he may not even make these lovely ratings to begin with.

Center Field

Nothing to see here from my scouts

Right Field

1) Brett Charles (65) - Top guy my scouts see here is a platoon masher against lefties. Probably more of an LF than an RF. At least he should be pretty good at the one thing he can do with his bat.

2) Yamid Villalona (63) - If you can manage to draft both Charles and Villalona you will be able to fill one position on the field using only two roster spots! He's fairly identical to Charles only he hits righties instead of lefties.

Top 5!

This is actually pretty hard to rank because there are a lot of highly flawed potential busts up in here

1) Tony Glynn - #1 with a bullet. He will knock teams around for 18 seasons and then enter the Hall of Fame.
2) Lee Nichting - Legit defensive catchers who can hit and play every day are a rare breed.
3) Horacio Montanez - I don't usually like ranking a DH this high but his bat somewhat warrants it and his competition isn't fierce.
4) Tanner Harrison - Balls over the walls, y'alls.
5) Wesley Beam - What can I say? I'm a sucker for guys with monster pitch ratings.

Eugene Sheldon's the guy filling the HS starter dropoff between Glynn (who I don't actually see) and Rader.

E: quoting for the new page + shameful snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Herm Tebeau (Tebow?!) is also there but he's likely a LRA guy. Beyond that the HS SP class has lots of very bad vsR ratings, yikes

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
How is there talk of awesome names with no mention of Norm Bland. I want him so badly.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Scrotos posted:

How is there talk of awesome names with no mention of Norm Bland. I want him so badly.
http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/ProspectProfile.aspx?pid=6999118

Cory Lidle fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 28, 2014

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Power of Pecota posted:

Holy Moly at John Yoshii

I got tired of coming in second on IFAs (which has been every IFA). Someone bid 14 mil on him. Also:

Devo posted:

Top 5!

This is actually pretty hard to rank because there are a lot of highly flawed potential busts up in here

1) Tony Glynn - #1 with a bullet. He will knock teams around for 18 seasons and then enter the Hall of Fame.
2) Lee Nichting - Legit defensive catchers who can hit and play every day are a rare breed.
3) Horacio Montanez - I don't usually like ranking a DH this high but his bat somewhat warrants it and his competition isn't fierce.
4) Tanner Harrison - Balls over the walls, y'alls.
5) Wesley Beam - What can I say? I'm a sucker for guys with monster pitch ratings.

Why is my draft board so much different than yours? I have Glynn as 1-1 because pitching is hard to come by, but Willie Mendez is rated higher in the long run and also can play at the MLB level immediately. And you don't even have him on here.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

The broken bones posted:

I got tired of coming in second on IFAs (which has been every IFA). Someone bid 14 mil on him. Also:

Why is my draft board so much different than yours? I have Glynn as 1-1 because pitching is hard to come by, but Willie Mendez is rated higher in the long run and also can play at the MLB level immediately. And you don't even have him on here.

I'm only rating HS players because my college scouting is 0. You're at 14/18 so I'm assuming you can see some good college guys.

e: if you want to DM me Mendez's card I'll take a look at it and give you an opinion

Devo fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 28, 2014

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Cory Lidle posted:

Pre-emptive congrats to whichever one of you tanker fucks gets the world's new Leo Egan in IFA.

Oh look at that it wasn't even a tanker gently caress that got him

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm on a phone traveling back from Christmas or I'd do it, but someone screencap KING WOLF *awooooo*

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Oh look at that it wasn't even a tanker gently caress that got him

Did the people with money not see him? Someone has to be sitting on more than 25m.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm on a phone traveling back from Christmas or I'd do it, but someone screencap KING WOLF *awooooo*

AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Scrotos posted:

Did the people with money not see him? Someone has to be sitting on more than 25m.

I had it at 19 mil, went to bed, and I got like a "hey, more money please" followed by "i signed with the team that offered more money" when i woke up the next morning

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I could have had at least 1 or both of those guys if i hadn't given all my money to Feliz.

I am impatient

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Whoa awesome, I didn't think I'd get a comp pick for James Chen because he upped his asking price to like $5m and I couldn't swing that last season. I thought I'd have to live with pulling a Philbar and just losing a pick entirely, yay.

Setting up a draft board is so weird with lopsided scouting, I have no idea which high school guys to expect to make it to the 20s.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
gently caress the heck is this guy's skillset

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Nerokerubina posted:

his skill set is sucks

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

yes but he sucks in an interesting way

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Please tell me someone else had no idea Leo Egan had a 66 OVR now, that's insane to me. Post-Egan Dimaggio is gonna seem really weird.

Also I'd like to point out that arthur would be leading the NL North right now :coffeepal:

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Nerokerubina posted:

Ben Revere.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I don't have a pick until like 135 or something (because I went Type A CRAAAAAZY on Max Nixon, Brett McKnight, and Jorge Santos lmao) so I am VERY intrigued to have not put any :effort: into draft prep and see what poo poo I end up with

e: Santos was a Type B whoops

uublog fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 30, 2014

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Also I'd like to point out that arthur would be leading the NL North right now :coffeepal:

yes, well, but he isn't. IOWA pride

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

woot I got Lee Nichting, Yamid Villalona, King Wolf, Lou Reed, and Dick Daly. Good Draft.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

With how devo described him, how the heck did Nichting fall so far

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

AlleyViper posted:

With how devo described him, how the heck did Nichting fall so far

I just came here to post that. Great grab by atheist there with his Vinny Jr

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Also I own the sole draft rights to Zach K'aaihue so I consider this draft a rousing success regardless of anything else

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Wow, none of my big boys fell to 19. Good thing I at least got Grabowski, he'll be ML ready in one season.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I didn't think I had a chance at Nichting, so I of course didn't move him to #1 on my board :(

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

I do not understand the love for him, a reverse platoon C who all of his value is in contact and PC will not break 80.

Also who wants to give me 8m so I can sign my draft pick :v:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
My scouts are still all "Nichwho?"

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

I didn't think I had a chance at Nichting, so I of course didn't move him to #1 on my board :(

Art.txt

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I thought I'd moved Gordon way down my board so that's kind of a sloppy mistake, but I like the 5 guys that came after so who's to complain, eh?!?

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Tanner Harrison at #7 and Brian Rader at #37 isn't too shabby.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Wesley Beam's more promising than like any IFA/draft pick I've had since like S23 imo

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

i got a bad third baseman :toot:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFL-0_XBflc

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Scrotos posted:

I do not understand the love for him, a reverse platoon C who all of his value is in contact and PC will not break 80.

Also who wants to give me 8m so I can sign my draft pick :v:

Your scouting is way down on Nichting IMO

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Devo posted:

Your scouting is way down on Nichting IMO

What did your scouts show?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Nerokerubina posted:

i got a bad third baseman :toot:

I got a bad college pitcher yaaaay

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

petition to remove art from the league

jesus christ you make my head hurt

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

art is a gimmick, right? no one can be this dumb about HBD after all the goddamn seasons he's played

this has to be a gimmick

a loving long-con

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
A bad RP... with signability issues and wants a ton of money. lol

• Locked thread