Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Computer viking posted:

Over here in euroland, a friend of mine used to joke that he should start robbing banks in his late-90's dark red Toyota estate, since nobody would notice what he was driving. That thing was so nondescript it was almost impressive.

I'm pretty certain I could rip by a cop at 100 over the limit in our Corolla and they'd just wonder why it got so windy. Corolla's are completely invisible to police until they're over 15 years old and run down. Then you're getting pulled over constantly for suspicions of being black or dealing drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Computer viking posted:

Over here in euroland, a friend of mine used to joke that he should start robbing banks in his late-90's dark red Toyota estate, since nobody would notice what he was driving. That thing was so nondescript it was almost impressive.
Does he look like Ryan Gosling?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrFFdvgm9fc&t=73s

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

They're so drat terrible though, I cannot recommend following through with this.
Considering what I'm driving now, it's not easy to get something worse. My suburban may be the most useful vehicle ever, but the engine is about toast. I had a nice elaborate text wall about what to do with it in the stupid questions thread, then I figured gently caress this poo poo, I just need to get rid of it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Computer viking posted:

In kiwiland that'd be a silver mid-2000's Mazda 6 sedan.

My mate recently bought a Japanese import 'luxury' version with absolutely zero distinguishing features and there are thousands of the things on the road here.

Compared to that my flatmate's late 90s dark red Toyota Camry estate is downright recognisable (hey double rear wipers are cool)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

My mate recently bought a Japanese import 'luxury' version with absolutely zero distinguishing features and there are thousands of the things on the road here.

Compared to that my flatmate's late 90s dark red Toyota Camry estate is downright recognisable (hey double rear wipers are cool)

My boss has one of these and I swear to god a couple of times a random person off the street has driven in and he thought it was his wife.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

dissss posted:

I have it on good authority that a first gen (1999-2004) Toyota Sienna van in completely invisible. One time I passed a cop doing radar at 145km/h on the highway (150 is street racing here) and all he did was the slow down hand motion. Soccer mom vans FTW.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
That's just van magic, no one cares about them except the British I think.
Down here I was is a bright yellow KIA preggio van doing 70 in a 60. Drove right into a speed trap with a radar gun cop. I thought he was waving me down, he told me to bugger off as he wanted the guy in the sedan behind me.
Still to this day I think what the gently caress, if he had a radar gun my huge van would have been the thing his gun was reading as it's not like it was a laser that's more accurate for individual vehicles, and the cop was pointing the radar down a busy road?
I laughed and took of in a cloud of diesel fumes and smoke in that lovely KIA van.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fo3 posted:

That's just van magic, no one cares about them except the British I think.
Down here I was is a bright yellow KIA preggio van doing 70 in a 60. Drove right into a speed trap with a radar gun cop. I thought he was waving me down, he told me to bugger off as he wanted the guy in the sedan behind me.
Still to this day I think what the gently caress, if he had a radar gun my huge van would have been the thing his gun was reading as it's not like it was a laser that's more accurate for individual vehicles, and the cop was pointing the radar down a busy road?
I laughed and took of in a cloud of diesel fumes and smoke in that lovely KIA van.

Was it downhill? I ask because I have to work on those things fairly often and they are, quite simply, the slowest modern vehicle I've driven. 'Modern' being a relative term considering the total lack of any kind of efi or computer controlled anything.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Computer viking posted:

Post a picture! I'm not googling on principal but it sounds bland as heck. Here's a pic of a late 90's Lumina. Small.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I still don't understand the intent with that nameplate. Three different vehicles, same name. What the gently caress, Chevy?

My mom had the renamed coupe, a 97 Monte Carlo with the glorious 3.1 piece of poo poo.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are Saturn Ion's regarded as reliable?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

STR needs to appear with a flash and a spontaneous cloud of smoke right now.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Breaking news :staredog:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
gently caress 2014 strikes again! Hold onto your butts, people. Only one day left to get screwed!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I always thought those tractors with the insanely wide tyres were overkill.

I was wrong.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
GRANDMAS CAR WAS IN THE DRIVEWAY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE loving HOUSE

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
smoke the tree

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just so you guys get a sense of scale thats my old neighbor's five foot thick hundred foot tall pine tree. Also known as my new front yard.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

free firewood, and it took an oldsmobile 88 off this earth. Seems like win/win to me.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Prepare to feel bad :v:

When my grandad married my grandma and brought her over from England after the war, he promised he'd get her a brand new Oldsmobile. They had another Olds, but it was bought second hand but still relatively new just not *brand new.*. After Grandpa died she saved and sold off the other one and bought that one. Her brand new Oldsmobile she had waited so long to buy. She always had it serviced on the dot by the dealership, practically got to know everybody by name down there. And it only had like a hundred fifty thousand miles on it and drove like brand new because the second anything popped up she was back down at the dealership getting it adressed. I think she even paid for it to be repainted last year, in the orignal color to freshen it up.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:stare:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It looks to me like the car may have escaped with at most some trim knocked off and scratches... hope I'm right?

Either that or the main trunk is right under there and I just can't tell.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kastein posted:

It looks to me like the car may have escaped with at most some trim knocked off and scratches... hope I'm right?

Either that or the main trunk is right under there and I just can't tell.

Actually after the fun died down a little dad messaged me the same thing but it's hard to know for sure. Bigass tree though.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Mr-Spain posted:

Post a picture! I'm not googling on principal but it sounds bland as heck. Here's a pic of a late 90's Lumina. Small.

I still vaguely remember when the Z34 first came out, it had a deceptively cool look to it. This was GM's answer to Ford's SHO Taurus:

It's built on the the same "W" body platform as the Grand Prix/Cutlass/Regal. I don't see too many these days, I can only imagine why.

The heart and namesake of the Z34 is the GM 3400 V6 that made 200 horsepower and loved to tear apart its engine mounts even when it wasn't leaking its vital fluids all over them:

Here's the timing belt setup. If you've never had to change one of these before, consider yourself fortunate:

:bang:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So not only is does salt hate your car and everything it stands for, it's now actively hunting down your car! :stonk:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/business/7/71/247701/building-collapse-reported-morton-salt-north-side

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 248 days!)

ExplodingSims posted:

So not only is does salt hate your car and everything it stands for, it's now actively hunting down your car! :stonk:

“We were just conversating,” said Venton, a porter for the Near North Side dealership at Elston and Potomac. “Everything just pretty much imploded.”

ESL still has a long way to go.. better than I expected for Chicago, though. It had syllables!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Root Bear posted:

I still vaguely remember when the Z34 first came out, it had a deceptively cool look to it. This was GM's answer to Ford's SHO Taurus:

It's built on the the same "W" body platform as the Grand Prix/Cutlass/Regal. I don't see too many these days, I can only imagine why.

I actually like the aero on that car. Hood vents, blocked off upper grill, lower bumper inlet, and that little rear spoiler will do a pretty good job at reducing high speed lift.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Grandpa's ghost told that tree, "Not today."

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

RandomPauI posted:

Are Saturn Ion's regarded as reliable?

lol

....oh wait you're serious? My sister in law had one, the short answer is kind of. The biggest problem it had was when it wouldn't turn off randomly. The dealership people treated her like she was crazy at the time and never fixed it. She moved to England for a year for job training and sold it, now she has a Subaru.

The Saturn she had before that burned so much oil that she used to keep extra in the trunk to top it off.

I had a 2003 Focus with the dreaded ignition lock cylinder failure, which left me stranded and beating the steering column with my shoe like a pissed off chimp. OK car but lots of cheap parts that failed early, master brake cylinder, tie rods, stupid emissions sensor.

American cars are great for cheap thrills though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLazEPfCCzI

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Root Bear posted:

Here's the timing belt setup. If you've never had to change one of these before, consider yourself fortunate:

Really?! Timing belts were the biggest dick move car manufacturers have pulled in recent decades. They all did it too, it's like they had a meeting or something. "yeah sure we could just stick with chains, but rubber belts are so much cheaper and then that just becomes a maintenance item so....gently caress em' lets do it" Then there were hookers and blow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Huggable Bear King posted:

Really?! Timing belts were the biggest dick move car manufacturers have pulled in recent decades. They all did it too, it's like they had a meeting or something. "yeah sure we could just stick with chains, but rubber belts are so much cheaper and then that just becomes a maintenance item so....gently caress em' lets do it" Then there were hookers and blow.

Chains aren't exactly perfect either. They stretch over time and their tensioners and pulleys can become just as worn as ones on belts leading to the same sort of catastrophic failure.

If anything, the move to chains has been "We can strike a maintenance item off a car and make it more marketable! Who cares what happens after 100k miles!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Huggable Bear King posted:

Here's the trick: Chains are a huge pain in the rear end to change, and often mean tearing down the engine FURTHER than you would for a timing belt.

So, while replacing timing belts is annoying, at least designers went into the design assuming it would have to be replaced eventually and made arrangements for such.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 31, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Never heard of anyone ever having to work on the timing chain on a falcon 4L, lasts forever almost.
OTOH, GMs 3.6L v6 down here had a chain, and they stretch all the time. Same set up as the above pic with the 3.4L, but a chain.
From what I know the new engines were OK in 2004 with a 9mm wide chain, but then they switched to a 7mm chain 2005/2006 (for noise reasons), which stretched.
I never had problems with old I4 mazdas that used a chain either. Chains and tensioners can last as long as the rings/bearing/valve stem seals/chassis does

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 31, 2014

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My Saturn's been reliable up until recently when it started guzzling gas. But then it also guzzles gas with the fan or AC or heater on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

Never heard of anyone ever having to work on the timing chain on a falcon 4L.
OTOH, GMs 3.6L v6 down here had a chain, and they stretch all the time. Same set up as the above pic with the 3.4L, but a chain.
From what I know the few engines were OK in 2004, but then they switched to a smaller chain 2005/2006, which stretched.
I never had problems with old I4 mazdas that used a chain either. But

Its hit or miss. Some companies chose to do the proper thing and put an over-designed chain in assuming it would never see the light of day again, and some let the Accounting office decide.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
From what I know the 3.6L GM V6 engines were OK in early 05 with a 9mm wide chain, but then they switched to a 7mm chain late 05 and 06/07 builds, (for noise reasons they said), which stretched.
Good chains and tensioners can last as long as the rings/bearing/valve stem seals/chassis does

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 31, 2014

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
Hire car with a chip in the windscreen (luckily mentioned in the condition report) turned into a 3-foot crack in freezing weather:

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Fo3 posted:

Never heard of anyone ever having to work on the timing chain on a falcon 4L, lasts forever almost.
From what I know the new engines were OK in 2004 with a 9mm wide chain, but then they switched to a 7mm chain 2005/2006 (for noise reasons), which stretched.
I never had problems with old I4 mazdas that used a chain either. Chains and tensioners can last as long as the rings/bearing/valve stem seals/chassis does

I worked for a Ford dealership in Australia for a year, I never saw one of their inline 6 4l motors come in for anything timing chain related. Ford transit vans (pre 2000) I think had some issue with the tensioner from memory, I vaguely recall doing something warranty related on quite a few of their tensioners....it might have even been worn tensioner guides?

Timing Belts aren't too bad, if your handy, have the right tools (sometimes it's tight getting all the plastic covers off the front of the motor - 1/4 drive socket set helps) and have a procedure or the 'know how' on that particular models quirks in regards to timing marks etc it's not really an issue.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Neif posted:

Ford transit vans (pre 2000) I think had some issue with the tensioner from memory, I vaguely recall doing something warranty related on quite a few of their tensioners....it might have even been worn tensioner guides?

Ford switched to plastic guides for a few years that weren't up to par, a lot of the 4.6 V8's had problems too.

bull3964 posted:

Chains aren't exactly perfect either. They stretch over time and their tensioners and pulleys can become just as worn as ones on belts leading to the same sort of catastrophic failure.

If anything, the move to chains has been "We can strike a maintenance item off a car and make it more marketable! Who cares what happens after 100k miles!"

Chains get noisy when they're about to go and other than manufacturing defects they typically last the life of the vehicle. They are a PITA to replace though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008
Chain vs. Belt very much depends on how you do it, especially today. The belt on a >~2006 Citroen C5 V6 has an expected life span of 250.000 km. The chain on my 1996 Citroen XM V6 will outlive the engine, which is expected to make it past 300.000 at the very least.

On the other hand, if you own the correct engine variant VW Golf, then you do timing chain changes after 80.000 km.