Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Modnote: dogpiling on mook is annoying and, I think, counterproductive at this point since he does seem to be making an effort to post better.

On the other hand, mook:

Habibi posted:

It's not that hard. Like, it's nice that Paulocast and Evilwaldo told you they enjoy your posts, but when you offer silly opinions and then fly into a frothing, defensive fit every time someone challenges or mocks them, it gets pretty hard to take you seriously. And this is coming from someone who doesn't typically mind your posting, despite your team loyalty. But, man, you need to chill the gently caress out.

Also "hivemind" posts are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
you know who i miss is gomi pyle

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Klefbom (25:27) / Petry (25:20)
Ference (22:15) / Fayne (21:54)
Nikitin (11:15) / Schultz (19:34)

praise jesus

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
@Citizenkwarren: 48 stitches, in 3 layers, for Borowiecki

How the gently caress do you do this to yourself while playing soccer warming up for a game?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dominator posted:

You're welcome :mad:

The Chicago Blackhawks: farm team for the rest of the league's best players. :getin:

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The Panthers signed Nick Bjugstad to a six year deal, which is smart as hell because that kid is quietly going to develop into an even better player than he already is.

Zybl0re
Aug 10, 2002

I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SHIT!

Pat Clements posted:

The Panthers signed Nick Bjugstad to a six year deal, which is smart as hell because that kid is quietly going to develop into an even better player than he already is.

I haven't seen much of him this session, but the play by play guys kept saying his name last night because he had the puck all the time. Not that this is a miracle when playing the habs, but it's a good sign for sure. :v:

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

a false posted:

you know who i miss is gomi pyle

pretty sure he still posts, but under a different username. possibly david carmichael i dont remember for sure.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Pat Clements posted:

Bjugstad is a stud. Happy to see him doing well after an extremely promising first season (cough that led me to select him as my 2C in the SAS draft cough).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Anyone know where Gillis is these days?

I need to go kick him in the nuts a couple dozen times.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

grack posted:

Anyone know where Gillis is these days?

I need to go kick him in the nuts a couple dozen times.

Any specific reason at the moment, or just in general?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Levitate posted:

Did they do something else or are you just slow to the punchline

I'm out of the country and not really able to follow much. Also flyers bad

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

HookShot posted:

Any specific reason at the moment, or just in general?

Just in general, really.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Enjoy this dump of usage-adjusted possession stats for some Eastern conference defense corps via https://twitter.com/MimicoHero

Summary: Hamilton and Chara are nutso. Klein and Franson are having career years... but so is Nashville, so hey, it worked out for everyone. Leddy and Boychuk good. Wiercioch should probably play more. Surprisingly, Nick Schultz is not terrible? Johnson, Grossmann and Phillips horrible. Phaneuf, Polak, Robidas and Holzer.... agraegdfh. That's the "#1 defenseman on a 7 year contract" and two of the key offseason acquisitions to shore up RHD depth (thanks Nonis!). The only other RHD after Franson and those two clowns is Korbinian Holzer, whose only awesome attribute is his name.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
The weather could be too good for outdoor hockey tomorrow

Short version- if there's too much sun, the faceoff may be delayed until around 2:30. The league is also apparently allowing players to wear sunglasses.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Kwik posted:

The league is also apparently allowing players to wear sunglasses.

i seriously hope this happens holy poo poo

edit: i wanna see ovi score on a sick dangle and then casually plant some shades on that handsome mug of his

whatis fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 31, 2014

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

eXXon posted:

Enjoy this dump of usage-adjusted possession stats for some Eastern conference defense corps via

Dan Girardi even worse than expected :smith:

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

eXXon posted:

Summary: Hamilton and Chara are nutso. Klein and Franson are having career years... but so is Nashville, so hey, it worked out for everyone. Leddy and Boychuk good. Wiercioch should probably play more. Surprisingly, Nick Schultz is not terrible? Johnson, Grossmann and Phillips horrible. Phaneuf, Polak, Robidas and Holzer.... agraegdfh. That's the "#1 defenseman on a 7 year contract" and two of the key offseason acquisitions to shore up RHD depth (thanks Nonis!). The only other RHD after Franson and those two clowns is Korbinian Holzer, whose only awesome attribute is his name.

I want to say the NHL is transitioning away from "stay-at-home" defensemen, but they're not. Hell, those are the D making a poo poo load of cash as UFAs and playing first pairing with Erik Karlsson while Wiercioch is a scratch and god dammit fuckkk

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

It's cool that those charts are saying that the Isles defense is great. But those charts are also telling me Ryan McDonagh is almost a replacement guy for the Rangers.

also, lolGrossman

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Kwik posted:

The weather could be too good for outdoor hockey tomorrow

Short version- if there's too much sun, the faceoff may be delayed until around 2:30. The league is also apparently allowing players to wear sunglasses.

Christ I want Ovechkin to score and do something douchy while wearing glasses.

What exactly is usage adjusted corsi again?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

THE MACHO MAN posted:

My first question, too. He wrote a thing about it here, with the short answer being that the adjustments are an attempt to account for usage and expected results, similar to angry math teacher Steve Burtch's delta-corsi.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

E2: ^^^^ :argh:

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I think usage adjusted corsi is your CF% that is modified by how good the opposition is, zone starts, and poo poo.
E: same dude wrote about it http://ownthepuck.com/2014/12/02/usage-adjusted-possession-rates/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Someone send him this link:

http://www.cnc-design.fi/site/index.php/en/webshop/item/127-deal-with-it-sunglasses

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Bring back the tinted visor ovie

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Those usage adjustments are ill-fitted for analyzing the Rangers. This point in particular notes a bias that I don't think applies to how the coach deploys players:

"Better possession players tend to receive more offensive zone starts (inflates the weighting of zone starts in the regression analysis)"

John Moore has the softest starts in terms of both being in the offensive zone and playing against weaker competition. Girardi, McDonagh, and Staal obviously play the toughest minutes against the strongest competition. Considering AV's zone/matchup-focused deployments, I don't think these stats are of any value in evaluating the Rangers.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Rotten Cookies posted:

It's cool that those charts are saying that the Isles defense is great. But those charts are also telling me Ryan McDonagh is almost a replacement guy for the Rangers.

McDonagh has only played 23 games this season and he was actually pretty bad for the first 10 games before he got hurt (0G 3A +0 and I saw him get turnstiled several times) compared to 2G, 6A, +11 in 13GP since he came back.

Also his non-usage adjusted 5v5 CF% is 47.8%, so the usage adjustment bumps him up around 0.5% which doesn't seem unreasonable.

Zodijackylite posted:

John Moore has the softest starts in terms of both being in the offensive zone and playing against weaker competition. Girardi, McDonagh, and Staal obviously play the toughest minutes against the strongest competition. Considering AV's zone/matchup-focused deployments, I don't think these stats are of any value in evaluating the Rangers.

Um, that's kind of the whole point of this exercise. Moore gets easy usage, so his 5v5 CF% of 52.7% gets corrected down to a little over 50%.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 31, 2014

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ovie has you all beat by five years.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Ovi should bring back the tinted visor

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

eXXon posted:

Enjoy this dump of usage-adjusted possession stats for some Eastern conference defense corps via https://twitter.com/MimicoHero

How bout dat Girardi contract, huh?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
What happened to Girardi?

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

mcvey posted:

What happened to Girardi?

probably nothing

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I wanted to say to myself that I wondered what happened to McDonagh, but then I realized that his defensive nature would not show up here. Oh, he's also making $2.7M LESS than Girardi this year.

EDIT: I'm an idiot that doesn't understand fancystats. But the salary bit still applies.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 31, 2014

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Bring back the tinted visor ovie

This post just reminded me that it was Fatso's complaining that led to over being forced to change his visor

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Overwined posted:

I wanted to say to myself that I wondered what happened to McDonagh, but then I realized that his defensive nature would not show up here. Oh, he's also making $2.7M LESS than Girardi this year.

Defensive ability should translate to better CF%, though in this case defense means preventing shots and sending the puck back the other way. On the other hand, actual point production won't... McDonagh is the highest-scoring Ranger defenseman and is tied with Klein with 11 points despite playing 23 games instead of 33/34. So don't think that that one chart means that the Rangers should fire McDonagh into the sun and give Hunwick all of his minutes.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

eXXon posted:

Defensive ability should translate to better CF%, though in this case defense means preventing shots and sending the puck back the other way. On the other hand, actual point production won't... McDonagh is the highest-scoring Ranger defenseman and is tied with Klein with 11 points despite playing 23 games instead of 33/34. So don't think that that one chart means that the Rangers should fire McDonagh into the sun and give Hunwick all of his minutes.

Yeah I'm pretty happy with how the Rangers D corps is being used, and when they're all healthy, its a pretty good group. Caveat is that like with last year and Stralman, we're getting a career year out of a replacement level guy before this.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Xtanstic posted:

This post just reminded me that it was Fatso's complaining that led to over being forced to change his visor

Twenty years from now TSN will have a poll on at what point ovie went from elite to merely good and it will be evenly split between losing the tinted visor and the gillette sponsorship

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

eXXon posted:

From what (little) I understand about Corsi, strength of competition is a factor. And since McDonagh sees probably some of the toughest defensive minutes in the league and can still stay buoyant that he's better than the stats might show. Or am I reading that wrong?

Anyway, I'm in no way saying fire McDonagh into the sun. At $4.3M this year he's an absolute steal. Girardi on the other hand....

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

most likely, McD's stats are just weighed down by a bad set of games in a small sample size. 23 games is not much of a set at all, especially when some were off of return from injury, with less practice days, less actual game days, etc. since he has been a solidly above average CF% player the past few seasons, he will probably continue to be so given the full season of play

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Overwined posted:

From what (little) I understand about Corsi, strength of competition is a factor. And since McDonagh sees probably some of the toughest defensive minutes in the league and can still stay buoyant that he's better than the stats might show. Or am I reading that wrong?

Anyway, I'm in no way saying fire McDonagh into the sun. At $4.3M this year he's an absolute steal. Girardi on the other hand....

Yeah, how a player is getting used has a massive effect on their Corsi numbers. A player putting an above 50% as the offensive dude, and putting up a 50% as the shut-down guy are 2 pretty different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
WHOA WHOA WHOA EVERYONE AV HEALTHY SCRATCHED TANNER GLASS

• Locked thread