Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Variable_H posted:

No, just use your phone like a normal person, your battery will be fine.

This also applies to mobil anti-virus apps, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeeeeeeep

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

The only problem I have with the alarm clock setup in 5.0 is that third-party clocks won't replace the system's widget info, so things like the alarm don't show up on the lockscreen's clock widget unless I put them in the default clock app and that doesn't have the "play a quiet alarm 30 minutes beforehand so if I'm ready to get up at that time it'll wake me up" function like Timely.
Oh yeah, I have to have a pre-alarm too so this is a nonstarter for me. I just go looking for alarm apps every month or so because I'm dumb and want more. Timely does everything I want and Gentle Alarm does it all even better but I just want a Material Design app and those aren't.

I saw this and knew some here like complicated wake up schemes and this kind of caters to it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Is there any good site for reviews on various Android camera apps? Like something that compares Google Camera to the Moto camera to whatever 3rd party camera apps are popular.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

LastInLine posted:

there's a neat Material Design alarm clock called Morning Routine.

Anyway it looks great and is Material Design as gently caress.
Confirmed :stare:. This guy took Material Design guidelines very seriously.

I'm always interested in new alarm apps but it takes me like a week of running both the new sexy one and Gentle Alarm for me to trust it. And even then I'm nervous about switching.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Are there any sort of widgets that allow me to have my currently reading books on a home screen, ideally with percentage/progress display? The built-in widget is kinda weird as it displays four books but only lets you tap one. It also has no customizing options and is very bare-bones. Why can't I specify the books displayed or even determine how they're sorted? Why does the layout randomly change, is it on some sort of autoscroll?

What app do you use for reading in general? I'm using the Google Books app which works great for reading but the library and menus are very lacking as well. I'd like to be able to see progress and organize books to my liking. Categories would be cool as well so I could separate my queue from my completed reads and it'd be a neat way to track my reading habits. Not a huge deal and the app works fine but maybe there's better options out there?

If so, I assume they can also read books bought over the Play store? Because I'm digging some of these sales, some of these books are cheaper than a cup of coffee!

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Santa delivered a Nexus 5 as well as an LG G Watch R, and I'm looking at buying a smart scale, possibly a Withings WS-50. I'm an avid cycler - daily commutes plus weekend rides - so I'd like to consolidate all the measurements into as few apps & places as possible. I'm mainly interested in tracking cycling heart rate via the watch + routes via the phone's GPS, as well as daily scale measurements.

Is there a single app / family of apps that I can use to consolidate all this data into a single portal? Google fit doesn't show routes, Strava doesn't link smart scales. Seems my best bet is to sell the watch to grab a Withings scale + Jawbone UP3.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 30, 2014

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Welmu posted:

Santa delivered a Nexus 5 as well as an LG G Watch R, and I'm looking at buying a smart scale, possibly a Withings WS-50. I'm an avid cycler - daily commutes plus weekend rides - so I'd like to consolidate all the measurements into as few apps & places as possible. I'm mainly interested in tracking cycling heart rate via the watch + routes via the phone's GPS, as well as daily scale measurements.

Is there a single app / family of apps that I can use to consolidate all this data into a single portal? Google fit doesn't show routes, Strava doesn't link smart scales. Seems my best bet is to sell the watch to grab a Withings scale + Jawbone UP3.

MyFitnessPal supports the Withings scale and the Jawbone. If Endomondo will support the watch and smartphone, perhaps link Endomondo data to MFP, too?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can I get a bartender app recommendation?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Medullah posted:

If it's like the one that came on my Note 4 it's long press on home screen -> Home Screen settings -> uncheck "Flipboard Briefing"

It's not. :(

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

kri kri posted:

Can I get a bartender app recommendation?

I just downloaded it the other day but the Mixology app seems like it's functional enough for a casual user (ie, me).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FadingChord posted:

I just downloaded it the other day but the Mixology app seems like it's functional enough for a casual user (ie, me).

There are a bunch called mixology - is it this one?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digitaloutcrop.mixology

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Anyone know of a good machinist handbook pocket ref type app?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hangouts notifications have been broken ever since Lollipop hit.

Even if you chose for the device to have NO NOTIFICATIONS at all, Hangouts is the only one that will go through with that stupid popup. The only way to turn it off is to go into the Hangouts app page and stop notifications.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it supposed to be that Hangouts is immune to all notification changes??

It rarely turns the sound off if you do it in the settings, it completely ignores the no interruptions feature in Lollipop, and the only way to fix it all is to turn off notifications for the app in Settings.

Like the others I couldn't parse what you mean so I'll just answer two alternate interpretations:

1. You're complaining that the heads up notification bypasses the All/Priority/None filter
You've got your wires crossed with the earlier L Developer preview, they more or less scrapped the original blocking/hiding aspect (along with the Notification Quick Settings Panel). "Interruptions" is just a catch all term for Sound, Vibration and LED, the filter isn't supposed to apply to the visual effects: i.e. Even in None Heads up continue to exist, Phone Calls/Alarms still show a fullscreen dialog/wake the screen, icons will still go in the status bar.I think your least destructive option for getting rid of Heads up Notifications would be taking advantage of this by tweaking your Hangouts settings:

quote:

Notifications with the priority field set to PRIORITY_MAX or PRIORITY_HIGH appear in a small floating window if the notification also has sound or vibration.

http://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-5.0.html#Notifications

...or at least it would be an option if the Vibrate setting of the current version of Hangouts actually worked.

2. You're complaining Hangouts vibrates/makes noise for SMS/IM's in Priority mode
You switched on the option for "Messages" to pass through your Priority filter, so the device is doing exactly what you told it to do and letting all notifications which are tagged as Messages through. Turn it off. If you're in a situation where you need SMS, but not IM's the best you can do is switch SMS apps to Messenger/whatever and again use Hangouts built in Snooze function. Or hope Hangouts offers that kind of granularity at later date.

Welmu posted:

Google Fit is the central database & integration point you're looking for. It doesn't show routes/in-depth data on its own because that's supposed to be the job of the 3rd party fitness apps which integrate with it. If you link up Google My Tracks/Runtastic/RunKeeper/MapmyRun/Strava etc to Fit the cycling sessions created in them will have an extra "via [name of fitness app]" which will link directly to Route detail pane of said app.The hardest part is turning on the integration as every app buries it in a different part of Settings. BTW the Withings app integrates with Fit, so no problem there.

See how that plays out before you go out and buy a fitness tracker (and even if you do, UP is probably the wrong choice for your use case).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vagrancy posted:

...or at least it would be an option if the Vibrate setting of the current version of Hangouts actually worked.
When I was trying to diagnose why I didn't get heads-up notifications in Hangouts vibration seemed to work fine (not that I wanted it to).

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'd like a multi-protocol im client that doesn't want to get into my sms or offer any voice chat. Just instant messaging over the internet. It's really hard to sort through all the feature bloat and incompetent apps on the play store. Can anyone help with this?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

pun pundit posted:

I'd like a multi-protocol im client that doesn't want to get into my sms or offer any voice chat. Just instant messaging over the internet. It's really hard to sort through all the feature bloat and incompetent apps on the play store. Can anyone help with this?

I haven't used it in like 8 years (and on windows), but I think Trillian may do what you want. I can't vouch for the android app though. It has over 4 stars at least.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Here's my "dealing with a lovely app" problem. I want an app to still be able to give notifications, without vibration.

I play words with friends with my mom. It is a terrible app and I want to delete it, but my mom plays it, so. She has multiple games going with me, and so in the middle of my day I'll get 10 vibrations. I don't want to disable *all* notifications -- I want to know when it's my turn to play -- I just don't need to be alerted by vibration.

Any ideas?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

nocal posted:

Here's my "dealing with a lovely app" problem. I want an app to still be able to give notifications, without vibration.

I play words with friends with my mom. It is a terrible app and I want to delete it, but my mom plays it, so. She has multiple games going with me, and so in the middle of my day I'll get 10 vibrations. I don't want to disable *all* notifications -- I want to know when it's my turn to play -- I just don't need to be alerted by vibration.

Any ideas?

Try to get her to switch to Wordfeud. It's a far better app and basically the same game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FlyingCheese posted:

Try to get her to switch to Wordfeud. It's a far better app and basically the same game.

Unless she plays WWF only with this guy that makes no sense. Because then she would have to convince her circle to quit wordfeud or have two apps.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Android App Thread: Convince Your Friend/CoWorker/Family Member to Use Another App Instead

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Len posted:

Unless she plays WWF only with this guy that makes no sense. Because then she would have to convince her circle to quit wordfeud or have two apps.

If she's anything like my mother, she only plays it with him...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

2. You're complaining Hangouts vibrates/makes noise for SMS/IM's in Priority mode
You switched on the option for "Messages" to pass through your Priority filter, so the device is doing exactly what you told it to do and letting all notifications which are tagged as Messages through. Turn it off. If you're in a situation where you need SMS, but not IM's the best you can do is switch SMS apps to Messenger/whatever and again use Hangouts built in Snooze function. Or hope Hangouts offers that kind of granularity at later date.

I've actually never changed any of Hangouts' default settings and I'm not sure how to go and change the priority filter thing since I've never touched those either so if the default is to not do what it's doing then something's not working right. But it's ok as I've gotten used to just turning off the notification to Hangouts entirely and just periodically check messages manually when I'm out or just ignore them until I get home and answer on my PC.

Thanks for the response though.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Amazon has another bunch of free apps: http://amzn.to/1x4yovx

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's a good app I could use to record a walk and then overlay it on a map? I've been walking around the park near my in-laws' place while on vacation, and it'd be nice to have a decent map in case I bring a bike out here ever.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

hooah posted:

What's a good app I could use to record a walk and then overlay it on a map? I've been walking around the park near my in-laws' place while on vacation, and it'd be nice to have a decent map in case I bring a bike out here ever.

google's My tracks
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.maps.mytracks

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

lowcrabdiet posted:

Amazon has another bunch of free apps: http://amzn.to/1x4yovx

Which (if any) of these are actually worth getting?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Haven't played it on Android, but Thomas Was Alone is a really cool indie puzzle platformer with a narrated story.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dik-dik posted:

I would argue that if you're already free of dealing with Amazon bullshit that none of them are.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

dik-dik posted:

I rather like Lyne.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

I would argue that if you're already free of dealing with Amazon bullshit that none of them are.

Amazon is really not that bad from a consumer perspective :shrug:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I have near constant problems with updating apps on it, and its pretty incessant about reminding me to do so.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
^^^ I guess it hasn't changed.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Amazon is really not that bad from a consumer perspective :shrug:

In general that's true, but their app store is pretty terrible, or at least it was. Always at least a couple versions behind, and naggy. It might have changed in the year or so since I used it, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The apps are always versions behind because Amazon lacks API parity with the Play Store, Amazon has to approve apps and app updates, and Amazon fucks over developers so they have no incentive to want to keep their Amazon apps up to date. Couple that with the fact that any good apps that Amazon has they're going to give it away so that the developer sees no money and massive support costs in return, there's a good reason why Amazon's ecosystem is a pile of poo poo.

There are technical problems on top of that as well if the developer didn't have the foresight to use a unique package name (not version number) for the Amazon App Store because the Play Store will update over top of the Amazon version and if their Amazon version had Amazon's DRM, welp, now that app won't ever work.

Basically Amazon's App Store attracts the worst kind of customers and uses them to gently caress over developers dumb enough to work with them, so why indulge them unless you're one of those worst kinds of customer?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

KingSlime posted:

What app do you use for reading in general? I'm using the Google Books app which works great for reading but the library and menus are very lacking as well. I'd like to be able to see progress and organize books to my liking. Categories would be cool as well so I could separate my queue from my completed reads and it'd be a neat way to track my reading habits. Not a huge deal and the app works fine but maybe there's better options out there?

I'm always - and perhaps pointlessly - exploring reading apps. The short answer is that your app of choice will depend on what you're looking for. Desired features are usually spread across a different apps.

There are a multitude of reading apps but only really four or five choices:

* Google Books:
Pros: it's google, synchronises across platforms including notes, can read from web, free
Cons: bookshelf has no organisation, it's just one big collection of books, book folder location is fixed in internal storage

I also found a few books in GB taking up a huge amount of room. Maybe that was just me.

* Kindle:
Pros: links in with Amazon, synchronises across platforms including notes, can read from web, free, decent organisation and management, you can mail any book to appear in your Kindle account, free
Cons: Kindle has to convert books to it's native format with varying success, book folder location is fixed in internal storage

* Aldiko:
Pros: unwedded to any book seller, good bookshelf organisation, notes, free version works just as well as premium version
Cons: creators have been promising sync for ages, book folder location is fixed in internal storage

Aldiko has a "import book" feature that is like iTunes: it takes over, stores and handles your books. This can be good or bad depedning orn your tastes / needs

* Mantano:
Pros: unwedded to any book seller, good bookshelf organisation, notes, free version works just as well as premium version, can store books in folder of your choice
Cons: slightly cluttered interface, sync feature is for-pay

My current reader of choice.

* FBReader:
Pros: the open source reader, reads almost any format, can store books almost anywhere (multiple folders, browsing file system, etc.)
Cons: ugly as rear end, bookshelf is clumsy (title only), rendering is suboptimal

FBReader is typical of a lot of OS productsL provides hundreds of options for you to customise and manipulate your experiences, somewhat to the detriment of the final product. For example, I'd like to make the font larger for the page I'm currently reading. But I have to go into the global settings, switch off strict use of CSS and increase the font size globally.

I think Kindle, Aldiko and Mantano have widgets.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

outlier posted:

I'm always - and perhaps pointlessly - exploring reading apps. The short answer is that your app of choice will depend on what you're looking for. Desired features are usually spread across a different apps.

There are a multitude of reading apps but only really four or five choices:

* Google Books:
Pros: it's google, synchronises across platforms including notes, can read from web, free
Cons: bookshelf has no organisation, it's just one big collection of books, book folder location is fixed in internal storage

I also found a few books in GB taking up a huge amount of room. Maybe that was just me.

* Kindle:
Pros: links in with Amazon, synchronises across platforms including notes, can read from web, free, decent organisation and management, you can mail any book to appear in your Kindle account, free
Cons: Kindle has to convert books to it's native format with varying success, book folder location is fixed in internal storage

* Aldiko:
Pros: unwedded to any book seller, good bookshelf organisation, notes, free version works just as well as premium version
Cons: creators have been promising sync for ages, book folder location is fixed in internal storage

Aldiko has a "import book" feature that is like iTunes: it takes over, stores and handles your books. This can be good or bad depedning orn your tastes / needs

* Mantano:
Pros: unwedded to any book seller, good bookshelf organisation, notes, free version works just as well as premium version, can store books in folder of your choice
Cons: slightly cluttered interface, sync feature is for-pay

My current reader of choice.

* FBReader:
Pros: the open source reader, reads almost any format, can store books almost anywhere (multiple folders, browsing file system, etc.)
Cons: ugly as rear end, bookshelf is clumsy (title only), rendering is suboptimal

FBReader is typical of a lot of OS productsL provides hundreds of options for you to customise and manipulate your experiences, somewhat to the detriment of the final product. For example, I'd like to make the font larger for the page I'm currently reading. But I have to go into the global settings, switch off strict use of CSS and increase the font size globally.

I think Kindle, Aldiko and Mantano have widgets.

Have you tried Calibre Companion? It's my preferred organization/browsing app, with FBreader (or whatever you like) as the reading app. It syncs (wirelessly or wired) with Calibre, too, which is nice. You can filter and manipulate your library many ways, too.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Have you tried Calibre Companion? It's my preferred organization/browsing app, with FBreader (or whatever you like) as the reading app. It syncs (wirelessly or wired) with Calibre, too, which is nice. You can filter and manipulate your library many ways, too.

I haven't because I don't quite get it. Correct me if I'm wrong but it just does the library wrangling and then you have to go into your reader and find the book you want to read anyway? What am I missing here? Does it automatically throw to / open your reader or something?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

outlier posted:

I haven't because I don't quite get it. Correct me if I'm wrong but it just does the library wrangling and then you have to go into your reader and find the book you want to read anyway? What am I missing here? Does it automatically throw to / open your reader or something?

It tosses the book to your reader, so the reader is just the actual book interface. You use CC entirely to navigate.

I wasn't 100% sure until I tried it out, but it works exactly as I hoped it would.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It tosses the book to your reader, so the reader is just the actual book interface. You use CC entirely to navigate.

I wasn't 100% sure until I tried it out, but it works exactly as I hoped it would.

Interesting. I've been a half-hearted user of Calibre for a longtime (yes, it's powerful but lord is it weird and gawky) so this may be a good path forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
There's also Moon Reader, which is my app of choice. It used to be really hideous, but it recently got a nice Material update. Reads epubs, isn't tied to any store, can sync books and reading position to Dropbox or Google Drive. It also supports reading stats and organizing books by tag.

Soviet Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 1, 2015

• Locked thread