Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

dis astranagant posted:

Ravenous is pretty much free points. There's food everywhere even if you don't take butchering.

Ravenous is kinda annoying because food has weight and isn't currency, whereas you always have water on you anyway so you barely even notice Amphibious. It's entirely a preference thing though, they're both definitely "gimme" drawbacks. Analgesia actually has a minor tactical impact but just being a greedy glutton or a giant combat frog has little bearing on gameplay aside from inventory management.

Spontaneous Combustion is a great one if you take Carapace and plan to upgrade it a bunch. You eventually become so heat resistant that you'll combust and just... feel kinda hot but not actually catch fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You can also deal with spontaneous combustion pretty easily by just carrying around a waterskin full of salt water. Pour 10 drams or so on your head, and all your burning-to-death problems are instantly solved.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Ravenous is kinda annoying because food has weight and isn't currency, whereas you always have water on you anyway so you barely even notice Amphibious. It's entirely a preference thing though, they're both definitely "gimme" drawbacks. Analgesia actually has a minor tactical impact but just being a greedy glutton or a giant combat frog has little bearing on gameplay aside from inventory management.

Spontaneous Combustion is a great one if you take Carapace and plan to upgrade it a bunch. You eventually become so heat resistant that you'll combust and just... feel kinda hot but not actually catch fire.

Vinewafers don't have weight and are easy to get vast amounts of. Water weighs a fuckton and there's plenty of more efficient value stores so even my water merchants rarely carry much cash..

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can also deal with spontaneous combustion pretty easily by just carrying around a waterskin full of salt water. Pour 10 drams or so on your head, and all your burning-to-death problems are instantly solved.

That's a hilariously small amount of water to extinguish anything with. It's a bit over a fluid ounce, or about 35 milliliters.

Intended or accidental?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Prism posted:

That's a hilariously small amount of water to extinguish anything with. It's a bit over a fluid ounce, or about 35 milliliters.

Intended or accidental?

I think they're actually gills. 4 of them weigh a pound.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

Intended or accidental?

Dram and drachma (Greek coin) share a common etemylogical root, dram meant both a liquid weight and a measure of currency in the ancient world. Presumably it is not equal to modern or ancient fluid dram, but whatever a quddian dram is.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dude basically dumped a 40 on his head to put himself out.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

dis astranagant posted:

I think they're actually gills. 4 of them weigh a pound.

Yeah, that's about a gill.

Unormal posted:

Dram and drachma (Greek coin) share a common etemylogical root, dram meant both a liquid weight and a measure of currency in the ancient world. Presumably it is not equal to modern or ancient fluid dram, but whatever a quddian dram is.

If a real-world name for a unit of measurement is used, I'm probably going to assume it actually is the real-world measurement in most cases, because how else can I visualize it?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prism posted:

Yeah, that's about a gill.

If a real-world name for a unit of measurement is used, I'm probably going to assume it actually is the real-world measurement in most cases, because how else can I visualize it?

With your imagination.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Turtlicious posted:

With your imagination.

My imagination works fine, thanks. I just assume that words used in a game mean what they actually mean in most cases, and a dram is really small, so '10 drams' doesn't seem like very much at all! I mean, as was said, it doesn't have to be. But my first assumption is going to be that an item described as weighing a pound weighs ... well, a pound, not 20 kilograms. It's not really relevant.

Mostly this is making me want to play Caves of Qud, but I couldn't get the last beta to download properly and it's not on Steam yet. Soon, I hope.

Prism fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 2, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
ADOM uses "stones" as a unit of weight, but they're nowhere near the actual unit they use in Britain. Unless you want to believe that the average potion weighs 28-56 pounds.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
There's a reason that Crawl measures everything in Arbitrary Units.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Finally back from vacation, I can play some CoQ! So, feedback time.
  • In the intro help, item 4: "it's attitude towards you" should be "its"
  • In the intro help, item 6: The "Alt" key is "Option" on OSX, and I dimly recall that it's called "Meta" in Linux?
  • In the attributes help, on Mental Armor: "will have a sever effect on you". I sincerely hope enemy mental attacks can't decapitate me!
  • In the Tonics help: "enhance your mental and physical states in a variety of ways". Technically not wrong, but I'm guessing it should've been "stats".
  • In the Combat help: "has a penetration value ->4, for example)". Missing open-paren.
  • In the Combat help, item 3: suggest making the parenthetical just an ordinary sentence.
  • In the Combat help, missile combat item 2: the coloring for the "header" text doesn't continue onto the second line, so it looks a bit odd.
  • Both Toughness and Willpower are described as modifying your hit point regeneration rate. Intended?
  • Mutations, Electrical Generation: "You acquire electrical change" should be "charge"
  • Mutations, Wings: says "You fly." twice.
  • Mutations, Light Manipulation is similarly redundant.
  • Mutations, Stunning Force: invoking a "concussion" seems a bit odd.
  • Suggest allowing access to the help menu by hitting ? in-game.
  • When examining equipment, typing the letter of a slot brings up the menu for that slot (with drop, look, etc.). When examining inventory, typing a letter first selects that letter; you have to type the letter again to bring up the menu. Seems odd.
  • Suggest using numpad 3/9 as "page down" and "page up" commands in large menus, DF-style.
  • Keymaps menu: the "Rest until healed" and "Rest until morning" commands show as "Oemtilde" and "Ctrl+Oemtilde" respectively.
  • I tried to equip a two-handed sword when I had an axe equipped, and got the message "You need another free Hand to equip that!", but then my axe and merchant's token auto-unequipped and the sword equipped anyway. Seems odd.
  • ...wait, the king is King Haberdash? Is he king because he has a really nice hat? :v:
  • When trading and you look at an item, you press space to dismiss the look dialog, but this then also selects the item for trading.
  • What determines when I attack with my merchant's token vs. with my dagger? :stare:
  • It might be nice to note that Temporal Fugue clones loving explode when they die cripes
  • Swarmer ability: "who is adjacent to its' target". No need for the apostrophe.

I made myself a mutant water dealer with Light Manipulation, Temporal Fugue, Carapace, and Analgesic. Bought a carbide dagger and an artifact (successfully ID'd as an EMP grenade) from the merchant in Joppa, then went to Red Rock, which was swarming with baboons. Killed them off, entered Red Rock, was stomping everything until I got nailed by a poison grenade from a snapjaw brute. Fled up the stairs, which at least pulled the brute away from his pals, but then he beat my face in before I could lase him to death. In retrospect I should've tightened my carapace before firing lasers; oh well.

EDIT: take 2 completed the Red Rock quest (well, I got the corpse, didn't turn it in). Then I died from stepping on a Young Ivory, becoming terrified by a Dread Root, and fleeing over another Young Ivory and bleeding out. D'oh. I must say that Analgesic seems like a good defect to take, though, since so far I haven't much missed not knowing exactly how much health I have.

I went ahead and fixed these typos. With Sproggiwood I felt compelled to comb over every inch of text before we released it. With Qud, though, the enormity of the game crushed the perfectionist out of me.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tendales posted:

There's a reason that Crawl measures everything in Arbitrary Units.

Of course, the in-game system for weight could be a little funny before they removed it entirely.

Yeah, of course eight loaves of bread weighs as much as a suit of plate mail!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

ADOM uses "stones" as a unit of weight, but they're nowhere near the actual unit they use in Britain. Unless you want to believe that the average potion weighs 28-56 pounds.

Why not, ADOM has some extremely hosed up weights. A food ration weighs as much as a suit of armor.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Arrhythmia posted:

Of course, the in-game system for weight could be a little funny before they removed it entirely.

Yeah, of course eight loaves of bread weighs as much as a suit of plate mail!

Yeah, now your tiny spriggan can carry 52 suits of plate mail instead. :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
equipment weight/storage management is best ignored unless the game is explicitly about that kind of experience, otherwise it's a huge drag. see dredmor

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

And ADOM has a spell which you can easily cast out of a book so you never run out that massively increases your weight capacity to the point you can basically carry everything you care about even the slightest forever.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Why not, ADOM has some extremely hosed up weights. A food ration weighs as much as a suit of armor.

A food ration in ADOM is basically an entire picnic table with chair and place setting that you unfold, eat at, then leave in the dungeon to rot.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

When they named them Large Rations they really meant it. Also iron rations are actually made out of hunks of iron.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

ADOM's FAQ actually says '1s' is 50 grams, or at least it used to. He's still really inconsistent about assigning weights though, no arguments there.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 2, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

hand of luke posted:

I went ahead and fixed these typos. With Sproggiwood I felt compelled to comb over every inch of text before we released it. With Qud, though, the enormity of the game crushed the perfectionist out of me.

This is why you have playtesters!

Tollymain posted:

equipment weight/storage management is best ignored unless the game is explicitly about that kind of experience, otherwise it's a huge drag. see dredmor

To be fair, Dredmor has no inventory tetris, no stack or weight limits, and lots of (with the Wizardlands pocket dimension, infinite) storage. The problem with Dredmor isn't inventory management per se, it's that the UI for managing it awful and should have been something more like ToME, Dungeonmans, or Qud.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes, the ui for managing your inventory is bad, that's what i meant

i'm probably going to end up making a dredmor heartbreaker here because i really want to enjoy that game and it makes it so dang hard

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

hand of luke posted:

...also, for Qud I wrote a good amount of the text, and my grammar is uniformly awful.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Am I the only one who thinks that a mobile version of Necrodancer would be loving rad?

The field of view would have to be smaller, but you could have touch things on the bottom for bombs and items, and use directional swipes instead of the arrow keys.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Here's another minor Qud thing:

The Mass Mind mutation doesn't play well with Light Manipulation. I guess it's a special case because it's the only spell that's charge-based instead of cooldown based, but Mass Mind doesn't restore the laser charges when you activate it. It also just puts the ability on cooldown instead of draining all the charges when the negative side effect triggers.

One last thing: the passive light aura shouldn't toggle off when you run out of charges, or it should remember its state and toggle back on when the light's recharged.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
7DRL idea, a roguelike that plays itself almost entirely but stops only when your next choice is absolutely life or death. I mean it does everything for you, exploring, equipping, fighting, leveling up, and only asks you for input when one of the possible results of your next action is player death. Auto-explore taken to its most absurd. Could be fun!

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Just chiming on to say that Dungeonmans is my new addiction.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

madjackmcmad posted:

7DRL idea, a roguelike that plays itself almost entirely but stops only when your next choice is absolutely life or death. I mean it does everything for you, exploring, equipping, fighting, leveling up, and only asks you for input when one of the possible results of your next action is player death. Auto-explore taken to its most absurd. Could be fun!

This is basically the argument against requiring a human driver for self-driving cars.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Tollymain posted:

yes, the ui for managing your inventory is bad, that's what i meant

i'm probably going to end up making a dredmor heartbreaker here because i really want to enjoy that game and it makes it so dang hard
I fooled around with dredmor for a bit and, while I've missed out on a lot of the newer expansions, I honestly think that having 16 elements, 14 of which go through armor, really weigh it down a lot.

The resistance game can be interesting and fun since it mixes up threat profiles of monsters (depending on if you primarily deal damage that's resisted by a monster, or you lack resistance to a damage that that monster deals), but in dredmor there's so many you sort of cross your fingers and hope that the golem isn't about to deal 85+ existential damage while simultaneously rolling through the dungeon dealing 100+ damage split across 9 categories so nothing feasibly resists your attacks.

Which is a shame because while all the skills are pretty fun, the power curve slides between :killdozer: and :gibs: pretty rapidly.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

I really wish that someone would host a 7drl where all themes had to come out of the peter molydeux twitter

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
Can we please just talk about what is/n't a roguelike again, rather than the realism of measurements used in-game?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

I'm not sure I'd play that for long but I'd play it.

Farquar posted:

Just chiming on to say that Dungeonmans is my new addiction.

It's pretty great, yeah. I've kind of gone off ToME4, but Dungeonmans and DoomRL are my current roguelikes of choice.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I take back everything I ever said about water merchant espers, 26 Ego intimidates and proselytizing is too hilarious to pass up.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What's a better way to get to the next level holding the crystal other than dying in dungeon of the endless?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Not dying? :v:

Hold on, let me quote myself...

Sage Grimm posted:

EDIT: Strategy for crystal running
Step 1. Light the path to the exit
Step 2. Light branches on that path to keep enemies from spawning and slowing down the runner
Step 3a. If the above is not possible, set up your heroes to fight a running battle which requires a lot of pausing and setup
Step 3b. If you're feeling pressed, build turrets along the way

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

I thought I heard of this before...
http://www.zincland.com/7drl/savescummer/ (from the POWDER guy)

... though that has zero player input. Also, I'm not sure what single action can help you after auto-exploring into the center of a monster pit (dependent on the game's escape mechanisms).

EDIT: On second thought that doesn't fit your hypothetical game due to lack of any control. I guess we're looking for a roguelike VN?

A gnome holding a wand wanders into view.

1. Run away. (into a pit, spiked and poisoned and deadly)
2. Stand your ground. (and get zapped)
3. Read scroll of teleport. (into aforementioned monster pit)
4. That Wand. That wand that wand that wand th- (get zapped anyway)

waddler fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 3, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's weird how the Qud's physical defects are mostly fairly minor number tweaks while the mental ones are all really major ways to get hosed over.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

waddler posted:

I thought I heard of this before...
http://www.zincland.com/7drl/savescummer/ (from the POWDER guy)

... though that has zero player input. Also, I'm not sure what single action can help you after auto-exploring into the center of a monster pit (dependent on the game's escape mechanisms).

EDIT: On second thought that doesn't fit your hypothetical game due to lack of any control. I guess we're looking for a roguelike VN?

A gnome holding a wand wanders into view.

1. Run away. (into a pit, spiked and poisoned and deadly)
2. Stand your ground. (and get zapped)
3. Read scroll of teleport. (into aforementioned monster pit)
4. That Wand. That wand that wand that wand th- (get zapped anyway)

reasonably sure i've played this, can't remember the name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?
For you Qud esper veterans, what's your opinion on the Ego/Willpower buffs to mutation level and cooldown? Main feedback I'm looking for:

Do you think they're too powerful once you get over the early game hump?
Do you like them, flavorfully or otherwise? Would you be sad to see them go, or be replaced with toned down Ego/Willpower skills that perform a similar function?