Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
The stamp's not that hard to find. You already went outside, and the clue to there even being a way outside is the fact the rolling spikes don't explode due to there being no back wall. You needed someone who could fly up, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Cheez posted:

The stamp's not that hard to find. You already went outside, and the clue to there even being a way outside is the fact the rolling spikes don't explode due to there being no back wall. You needed someone who could fly up, though.

Ah, so we had to wait until we unlocked Parakarry.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Or climb up. I forgot cats are a thing that exist in Mario now. Then again, the rate at which you guys lose powerups suggests you'd never get one over there in this kind of stage.

The T
May 29, 2010

Just so you guys know, me and major take video titles very seriously. After watching the video we come up with a number of quotes or references in the video to use as a video title and narrow it down. As an example, here is the list of titles I came up with for this video:

[11/7/2014 3:11:25 PM] The T: "80s Workout Peach"
[11/7/2014 3:11:32 PM] The T: "Alone Together in Bubble World"
[11/7/2014 3:15:10 PM] The T: "POW Block, anyone?"
[11/7/2014 3:17:55 PM] The T: "Goonbas"
[11/7/2014 3:21:55 PM] The T: "Who the hell elected Toad?"
[11/7/2014 3:22:05 PM] The T: "Toads are the 99%"
[11/7/2014 3:22:11 PM] The T: "end Mushroom Kingdom apartheid"
[11/7/2014 3:24:21 PM] The T: "Wait, he's a ninja too?!"

The T
May 29, 2010

What the hell is this?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Peach really does get the most interesting costumes in this. 80s Workout Peach and so much more.

The T
May 29, 2010

Hope you all are enjoying Smash Bros. U out there and all you Americans have a good Thanksgiving!

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Annie being the helperiest followed shortly by the gamepad realization was the best part of the video, shortly followed by The T getting launched into space and thus missing the flagpole.

..and that's what I get for typing words before I finish watching the video. Best part of the video was clearly "If I encountered this in real life I would poop."

Graph update: Apparently I somehow broke the graphs, but when they're not broken I made some progress on recording bubble data (although unfortunately not as much progress as I'd like) and set up the navigation through those graphs so that a world summary shows up after the individual levels in that world and the full game summary shows up at the very end.

*edit* There we go. World Castle not being an actual numbered world screwed up some things, but it's all good now. Here's the updated character usage graph, in which we see that The T has been stealing all the Peachiness from Seer:

As for the score graphs, they're definitely getting cramped but I haven't had any good ideas about how to fix them, so for now I just let them extend out to the right more to give them more space.

JavaJesus fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 23, 2014

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

This episode features my single favorite line of the LP: "Yes. Let us all, indeed, 'a-go'."

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

good job jumping op. but I bet you can do it better. Dont dsiappoint me.

The T
May 29, 2010

JavaJesus posted:

As for the score graphs, they're definitely getting cramped but I haven't had any good ideas about how to fix them, so for now I just let them extend out to the right more to give them more space.

One suggestion might be to just split it into 2 graphs, with the second graph just picking up from where the first one left off, and have a scrolly arrow like the bubble graph currently does. Although, looking at it now with it scrolling left-to-right, actually seems perfectly fine!

I don't know if it's just on my screen, but the level name labels usually overwrap on top of each other (or, just the one with Castle in them). Maybe spacing them down a bit more would help? Not that it's that big a deal. :)

And I really look forward to the Bubble graph! But if it's too much or stressing you out, don't feel like you need to do it. :)

And lastly, dunno if you care but I added you on WiiU. Feel free to accept~

a cop posted:

good job jumping op. but I bet you can do it better. Dont dsiappoint me.

Those... sure are words? :confused:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The T posted:

Those... sure are words? :confused:

They're depending on you. Don't let them down.

The T
May 29, 2010

Hey guys! Just thought I'd offered a mid-week update about the next video...

So, the next video is kind of... very, very different. It's also requiring a lot more work to go into it, but most of the hard stuff is done.

Or it was done, several days ago even, but then we found out... AviSynth has a memory limit and we exceeded it. By a lot.

So now we are breaking stuff up in a way where we can combine it all together and still work properly.

I am being intentionally vague to not ruin the stupid surprise of this video, but trust me when I say it's really stupid and I don't know why we did it.

That said, at the rate it is, at this very moment, rendering right now, I don't think it will even be done by Friday. So I'm probably going to save it for next Friday to give me ample time to preview it and make sure everything is right and fix anything if need be.

All that said! I just got a new position at work and I have a slightly different schedule now, and since I'm in training for it my schedule is all over the place anyway. I don't think it should get in the way of LP stuff but if there are any more delays it could be why!

So, wish me luck.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good luck getting the rest out! It's interesting seeing you all flail around and one or two people trying to make it to the end of the level, opposed by the camera and caring about what other people are doing.

The T
May 29, 2010

What's that you say? This video was supposed to go up last week? No, no, surely you're mistaken, it was this Friday, not last Friday.

Realtalk: So much work went into the making of this video, and then problems arose and it had to be reworked and broken down into pieces to be layered on top of each other and it was just an AviSynth nightmare. But I had a total blast with it and I had a great new friend (Mastigophoran) who did all the hard work. I just timed things and scanned a bunch of cards and put it into the script after it was already pre-programmed for me.

I'm really proud to have this video out the door and hopefully I'll get a real update up soon.

Bonus Games We Should Have Played But Didn't:
Pokémon Trading Card Game...?

The T fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 20, 2014

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Okay, that video was gorgeous. The amount of effort that must've gone into making that happen must've been completely unreal. Hats off to everyone involved in making that work.

The T
May 29, 2010

gnome7 posted:

Okay, that video was gorgeous. The amount of effort that must've gone into making that happen must've been completely unreal. Hats off to everyone involved in making that work.

Thank you so much! I'm really glad people seem to be enjoying this video and how much work went into it!

Mastigophoran also posted a lengthy thing in the Tech Support Fort about it:

Mastigophoran posted:

IN OTHER NEWS:

So, I helped The T out making a bonus video for his LP of Super Mario 3D Land/World that involved recreating all the movements of a large number of cards around a play mat as they played a table top card game. You can see the video here, or if you just want to get the gist of what it was about, you can look at this video, which is one of the ones I used to show T how it was going. This was a quite the adventure and I'd like to share what I/we learnt.

Basically, I decided that the thing to do was to use the same basic structure as that DS library I put together, where there are global variables that store the last place/size/rotation that the clips went sent to so they can be recalled later when moving them. Since there were arbitrary cards, though, I used eval along with the name of each card to create arbitrary global variable names, arbitrary clips containing the movement operations, and an automatically generated and (very) long string that would layer all the final clips in order at the end of the video. I also created functions that would clear up all these things when you were done with them, as well as automate a sort of 'bring to front' function, that would deal with the problem of a card drawn earlier moving under a card drawn later. I also made the GBA getting bigger/smaller stuff and automated the rendering of a 'stack' of cards that would get smaller as the game went on.

It was pretty cool overall, however, previewing it once you had more than a few cards on the go was (obviously) a nightmare, but worse still, we actually found that, all these clips were using a LOT of memory (doing the video in 1080p didn't help). So much so that, the final actual video, we had to slice up the card animation section up into probably a dozen sections, and render them out to lossless avis, and then layer them all back in again at the end. It didn't help that we had to do this twice, once for the RGB and once for the Alpha channel, as just using vdub (even with RGBA set with lagarith) was just setting the output to be full alpha - we just applied brute force at that point to get something usable. Thankfully, though, they're just static cards, so I was able to somewhat automatic the trimming at either end, which probably saved us hours. The T did a wonderful job of using the library to actually make the video, getting everything in, and keeping track of the names of all the cards, and I'm pretty sure that we're both very happy with the final result.

Considering the time and effort that went into it, I think it would have been easier for everyone involved if I'd just programmed something ultra simple to render it all in basic openGL and read from a script, and then have The T Fraps it or something similar, but, I guess lesson learnt (and that's the reason I'm passing this on mainly): It's possible to use something like this for a dozen or so images/clips moving around but beyond that, abandon all hope. If anyone wants a copy of the scripts involved I can probably throw them up on a pastebin but honestly you'll probably want some assistance with using them so best to post here or pm me or something.

One of the features I like the most though is the damping of the card movement animations, so they speed up/slow down when moving so they're a bit more graceful than a regular fixed step linear interpolation. I do want to go back and add the damped movements etc to MastiDS as an option for people to use, possibly sometime over the Holidays. I should also probably actually also make a DS LP...

The T
May 29, 2010

Also :siren:IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT/REQUEST:siren:

Me, majormonotone, and Annie are going to Magfest later this month! (Seer is way too cool to join us.) If you aren't going to be there to stalk us, then influence what we do!

We're going to record a few extra bonus videos because what's the point of hanging out playing games if we don't record them?

All we'll have are a couple laptops, so we're looking at anything that can be easily played on those: NES, SNES, and Genesis games. Obviously 2-player is a requirement, but any 3-player or more games would be great.

So suggest to us what we should play and record!

And if you don't, we'll probably just end up with a 4-hour video of Panel de Pon.

The T fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 2, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

The T posted:

Can't think of any 3-player games, but play a bit of Snake Rattle n' Roll! It's for the NES.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Calling enemies 'Friends!' is spreading form Faerie Fortune's thread!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Secret of Mana is 3-player, but not really suited to a bonus video.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Play Alpha Protocol

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wish you could show off Moonbase Commander, but that'd require too much finagling even with the new Steam version I think. The game itself is kind of oldish so I wouldn't put it past your laptops to be able to launch it, but it can only do multiplayer over LAN as far as I know.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
4 hours of Panel de Pon seems good to me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The T posted:

:colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert: Chameleon Twist 2. :colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wait, I know! Play Gauntlet 4, Quest Mode (Genesis)!

And make sure you can hear the music because it's awesome.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Mehuyael posted:

Can't think of any 3-player games, but play a bit of Snake Rattle n' Roll! It's for the NES.

No.

Robust Laser posted:

4 hours of Panel de Pon seems good to me.

Yes.

Blind Sally posted:

Chameleon Twist 2. :colbert:

I already recorded some more of it :ssh:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I just watched the Mario Party thing. I have Hungry Howies around here too. I actually think it's fairly good.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Play some SNES Bomberman

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, I'm surprised you can actually move the camera around in that Bowser chase! Some of the angles looked pretty cool.

The T
May 29, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

Mehuyael posted:

Wait, I know! Play Gauntlet 4, Quest Mode (Genesis)!

I guess games like this aren't totally out of the question, but I guess I was aiming for more competitive games? I mean it's pretty obvious by these videos that we can't cooperate for poo poo.

Bruceski posted:

Secret of Mana is 3-player, but not really suited to a bonus video.

You're right it wouldn't but OH GOD WE SHOULD JUST DO A WHOLE LP OF THIS. Hmmmm...

Ometeotl posted:

Play some SNES Bomberman

This was absolutely the plan. I have no idea what the difference between the 6 SNES/SuFami games are, so I was probably going to arbitrarily pick 5! (the last one)

Me and major have also been brainstorming games (and I looked at a list of Multitap compatible games for the 3 systems) and..... I'm worried we might have too many puzzle games. But major really likes puzzle games...

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you think Gauntlet is a coop game you probably never played it multiplayer.

The T
May 29, 2010

Whoops, almost forgot to post this!

So the bonus update ratio is going to ramp up a little because I didn't account very well!!

Also due to Magfest, I won't be updating 2 weeks from now; I should be back on schedule 3 weeks from now. I have to make up a bunch of time at work due to Magfest, so I'll be super busy. That + school assignments I'm missing out on... it'll be fun.

But I'll make the best of it at Magfest. The Magfest bonus updates we record will probably wait until after the main LP is over to post, so stick around!!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There was, like, one good birds game and two kind of crap ones. That's a shame, but at least it's good to see people doing SOMETHING with the asymmetric information from the gamepad.

The T
May 29, 2010

For all one of you who care about our videos:

First, Magfest was an absolute blast, and we recorded a bunch of really dumb bonus videos that will go up after the main LP.

Second: I've had to make up a bunch of time at work, spend all my time on classwork, and I'm probably going to have my wisdom tooth removed tomorrow, so times are stressful and I haven't had time to work on the next video.

As soon as I am able to, we will be back on a bi-weekly schedule. Shooting for next Friday, but no guarantees.

I appreciate all of you who watch our dumb little LP. Thank you so much. :)

The T
May 29, 2010

We're finally back, and about time too.

Update schedule should become a bit more steady as I've found myself with more free time lately...

Next update will be another bonus update, and we should alternate back and forth until we get to the end. Almost there!

The T
May 29, 2010

Well this one was fun! So there's a lot of things to talk about with this video:

First, the origin. NerdbotMK2/Evan on Twitter is just some random nerd I followed for a while. I don't even know the guy really. But he made a Brawl hack compilation, focussing on putting together all the Smash 64 and Melee levels back in, with a few other original ones (which we more or less missed out on playing this time due to rushing and random select); he also created sets of costumes all the characters that were pretty neat and unique.

Also for those unaware; Balanced Brawl is a (pretty old at this point) hack of Brawl that rebalances the characters but doesn't really change the Brawl physics, so it still "feels" like Brawl. A lot of competitive Smash people have said the metagame has changed a lot and so characters that used to be good in vanilla Brawl just aren't anymore, so Balanced Brawl's changes may not be so apt. But! It's still fun for casual poo poo so who cares. (Also competitive Smash players are nerds.)

But the real thing though is, there are way more absurd hacks out there for Brawl. Model replacements to look like other characters entirely, truly weird and unique stages. New characters altogether! It's something I would love to look at again, but putting stuff together and getting it to work (and making sure it doesn't crash) can be pretty time consuming.

And what with Smash 4 already being out, it makes even harder to go back. Who knows though, maybe one day?

So it goes without saying, this video was recorded before Smash 3DS was out.

Also I'll just toss this out there: get some discussion going in the thread already! Whine about Smash, post dumb hack things you've found that you love or would love to try.

And, as always: All items, all stages, mock the Wolf and Fox players. :getin:

The T fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 28, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Brawl was the last Smash I played. I didn't play it enough to get the hang of it unfortunately. My favorite 3 were Sonic, since I seemed to fall off the stage the least with him, Pokemon Trainer, because I didn't play enough to get tired of his gimmick, and King Dedede even though I sucked with him because it's Dedede.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Brawl? Ike and only Ike. Ike forever. Troll your friends, they'll hate you for playing Ike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I want that hack pack, but sadly the dropbox link for it is down. :(

That was an entertaining video!

• Locked thread