Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Kimmalah posted:

Being a werewolf in Skyrim is great if you're trying to cut down on fast travel. You can sprint really fast, your stamina lasts pretty much forever and with the perks they added in the DLC you can one-shot pretty much everything with a lunge attack.
Yeah it's pretty fun in Skyrim, but it's just not as absurdly fast as in Morrowind. A fun glitch I had with the Immersive Patrols mod is that the Imperials didn't fight me while transformed since I was in that faction. Even when I started slaughtering entire patrols.

But what's really great is when bodies persist and no one gives a gently caress about it. Case in point from my last run:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay, I knw Shadow of Mordor was a while back, but I like how all the wildlife have little notes about them. And how they are all evil and venomous. But the bats I have to mention specificallly. Apparently orcs that get bitten start to hallucinate part-man part-bat creatures that intimidate their enemies with fear. That one made me laugh.

Also popping out of a bush, stabbing the bejesus out of somebody and all his friends making GBS threads themselves and running away. That's fun.

Oh, and Caragors being able to make ridiculous vertical leaps when you ride them.

e: also when you try to stealth kill a guy and he blocks you and you get the confrontational music and his name pops up and oh no, he is a captain :ohdear:

e2: and also being able to drop nests of killer mordor bees on baddies

It's definitely one of those Little Things: The Game type games for me.

McDragon has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Jan 2, 2015

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe
I've been playing a lot of Dragon Age Inquisition and love it. I liked Dragon Age II, and that was apparently terrible. Never played Dragon Age I. Should I pick it up?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

lamey_whinehouse posted:

I've been playing a lot of Dragon Age Inquisition and love it. I liked Dragon Age II, and that was apparently terrible. Never played Dragon Age I. Should I pick it up?

It's good but it's a lot less actiony than DA:I. There's more depth to the combat and it handles a lot more like sort of an old-school RPG than an MMO.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Watch some gameplay videos. It's very different. I loved Origins, but I was also one of the people who quit Dragons Age 2 a few hours in.

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe
OK, thanks! Watched some and bought it off Amazon!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Parts Kit posted:

Yeah it's pretty fun in Skyrim, but it's just not as absurdly fast as in Morrowind. A fun glitch I had with the Immersive Patrols mod is that the Imperials didn't fight me while transformed since I was in that faction. Even when I started slaughtering entire patrols.

But what's really great is when bodies persist and no one gives a gently caress about it. Case in point from my last run:

I think it's kind of funny that the Dawnguard, the faction dedicated to wiping out vampires for being maneating monsters, doesn't give a poo poo about me being a werewolf. It's understandable if I'm in human form and they just don't know, but even if I wander their HQ fully transformed no one turns hostile or even bats an eye.

As for the persistent corpses thing, the cultists from Dragonborn never despawn either so forever after you kill them you'll hear the corpse dialogue every time you enter that town.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Parts Kit posted:

One of the more common bugs back when Skyrim was released was a dragon skeleton would sometimes refuse to disappear if it was killed in Whiterun. Nearly everyone who had that happen to them formed a bond with that loving thing.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kay Kessler posted:

One of the more common bugs back when Skyrim was released was a dragon skeleton would sometimes refuse to disappear if it was killed in Whiterun. Nearly everyone who had that happen to them formed a bond with that loving thing.

It doesn't just refuse to disappear in Whiterun, dragon corpses will follow you around Skyrim as you fast travel. So you show up and this dead dragon you killed 60 hours ago will just fall out of the sky everywhere you go. It's never been fixed.

I've also had dead horses and draugr do this (in areas where no draugr should be). :stare:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the corpse of my decapitated ex-wife fell into my second wedding

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ain't that just how it goes

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

mysterious loyall Y posted:

Enough about your RL problems, back to the glitches :iamafag:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

mysterious loyall Y posted:

Thread title?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

There really is no other option, like, ever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

McDragon posted:

Okay, I knw Shadow of Mordor was a while back, but I like how all the wildlife have little notes about them. And how they are all evil and venomous. But the bats I have to mention specificallly. Apparently orcs that get bitten start to hallucinate part-man part-bat creatures that intimidate their enemies with fear. That one made me laugh.

Fun fact, Shadow of Mordor was originally supposed to be a Batman game but the deal fell through (it was going to have Christopher Nolan involved with the production but he pulled out..)

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
PYF little things in games: my mutilated ex-wife is loving hilarious

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

Fun fact, Shadow of Mordor was originally supposed to be a Batman game but the deal fell through (it was going to have Christopher Nolan involved with the production but he pulled out..)

It sounds like that would just be the Arkham games with a few different features.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

WickedHate posted:

It sounds like that would just be the Arkham games with a few different features.

I have heard a lot of people say that about the combat in Shadow of Mordor.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Kay Kessler posted:

Not just Whiterun, I had one that would flop all over the stairs in Markarth every time I walked in.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sleeveless posted:

These are probably the same people who bash Bethesda as lazy and uncreative because they themselves can't be bothered to actually read anything in game.

This page makes me sad because it illustrates that Skyrim was a great setting with tons of cool lore but the writing was panned because the game didn't have a morality system or complex dialogue choices or self-serious grimness.

The lore is interesting, but the writing loving sucks, and not for the reasons you posted, it is stilted, unnatural, poorly characterized, and lifeless in tone.
The reason Obsidian and Black Isle games are held up for having good writing is because their writers are fairly competent at instilling those qualities. They've always been more about character to character action and writing in the moment, which is something decent writers realize is more important, compared to TES or Bioware games where it's either lore dumps, characters blatantly revealing every nugget of info about themselves, and a strange motion that if the overarching plot is interesting that that is somehow good writing.
Good writing in games is making that dumb NPC picking his rear end in a top hat someone interesting, not being able to write reams of poo poo or pull cool twists or Hollywood intensity.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Kimmalah posted:

It doesn't just refuse to disappear in Whiterun, dragon corpses will follow you around Skyrim as you fast travel. So you show up and this dead dragon you killed 60 hours ago will just fall out of the sky everywhere you go. It's never been fixed.

I've also had dead horses and draugr do this (in areas where no draugr should be). :stare:
That's amazing. Never had that one. I did get the game breaking Dragonborn bug where when you mount a dragon it flies off and you just get stuck hovering in the same place in the riding position.

As for other games I rather enjoyed blowing up zombies in Thief 2 and then throwing their bodyparts at random NPCs to make them freak the gently caress out. Also you could royally gently caress up the physics engine by switching out the right real mission file with the demo mission.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

JebanyPedal posted:

The lore is interesting, but the writing loving sucks, and not for the reasons you posted, it is stilted, unnatural, poorly characterized, and lifeless in tone.
The reason Obsidian and Black Isle games are held up for having good writing is because their writers are fairly competent at instilling those qualities. They've always been more about character to character action and writing in the moment, which is something decent writers realize is more important, compared to TES or Bioware games where it's either lore dumps, characters blatantly revealing every nugget of info about themselves, and a strange motion that if the overarching plot is interesting that that is somehow good writing.
Good writing in games is making that dumb NPC picking his rear end in a top hat someone interesting, not being able to write reams of poo poo or pull cool twists or Hollywood intensity.

I mean, yeah some game writing is better than others but let's not kid ourselves.

No game writing is good writing.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

kazil posted:

I know the popular thing is to go "All vidja games aren't art and are badly written :iamafag:" but I really think Metroid Prime nails the perfect blend of narrative and game play with the scan visor. It makes perfect sense to have the story being a collectible in the game world.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

kazil posted:

Batman Arkham City :colbert:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

I've played the hell out of Skyrim and I've never ever had a dragon attack a walled city. Not that I mind.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

kazil posted:

I mean, yeah some game writing is better than others but let's not kid ourselves.

I know it's a very old game, but Planescape: Torment's writing remains awesome. Good novel level writing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Batman Arkham City :colbert:

Seriously?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Final Fantasy 7 :colbert:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Celery Face posted:

I've played the hell out of Skyrim and I've never ever had a dragon attack a walled city. Not that I mind.

I was running through Solitude once and had a dragon land directly in front of me, right in the center of the marketplace. In fact Markarth is the only walled city I haven't seen attacked at least once.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Useless posted:

I know it's a very old game, but Planescape: Torment's writing remains awesome. Good novel level writing.

Pretty much any game Obsidian writes has the best writing ever in a game. Shame the games themselves are usually janky as gently caress.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Bioware's writing gets a lot of hate (and they deserve a ton of it), but I really appreciated what they did with Mass Effect. Being able to port your decisions from one game to the next, playing as the same character, helped you get involved with the world. It actually made you want to try to play a consistent character and weigh your decisions more carefully. Much of it was a facade, true, but at least it's one worth buying into.

This didn't work nearly as well in Dragon Age. I don't care nearly so much about the effects of my actions from the game before if I'm not the same person, and it loses all of the charm that ME had when you meet up with old characters.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm playing Bravely Default at the moment, and very early on you're introduced to a party member with a mysterious journal full of future events. I thought it was nice that the journal isn't some kind of intangible plot object, and you can actually read it cover to cover the moment you get it. I haven't played far enough to know if the journal lines up with the actual plot in any particularly cool ways, but there's one entry that made me laugh. The writer talks about this picture he has of a girl, and how beautiful it is and what a wonderful smile she has, but when you actually see this picture in the journal, its just her looking like she's making a lovely halfassed attempt to pose for a photo:

I'm also impressed that this game manages to use a lot of Shakespearean sounding dialogue without screwing it up or making it seem really forced. They're really consistent using the same style of language throughout the game and the VAs deliver it well.

Red Bones has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Jan 3, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Red Bones posted:

I'm playing Bravely Default at the moment, and very early on you're introduced to a party member with a mysterious journal full of future events. I thought it was nice that the journal isn't some kind of intangible plot object, and you can actually read it cover to cover the moment you get it. I haven't played far enough to know if the journal lines up with the actual plot in any particularly cool ways, but there's one entry that made me laugh. The writer talks about this picture he has of a girl, and how beautiful it is and what a wonderful smile she has, but when you actually see this picture in the journal, its just her looking like she's making a lovely halfassed attempt to pose for a photo:

I'm also impressed that this game manages to use a lot of Shakespearean sounding dialogue without screwing it up or making it seem really forced. They're really consistent using the same style of language throughout the game and the VAs deliver it well.

Ringabel is the best character in that game and the VA makes a great job at making him sound suave and sophisticated but also a dork.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Tracula posted:

I know the popular thing is to go "All vidja games aren't art and are badly written :iamafag:" but I really think Metroid Prime nails the perfect blend of narrative and game play with the scan visor. It makes perfect sense to have the story being a collectible in the game world.

Metroid Prime did the Dark Souls style of storytelling years earlier, and better. Read what you want, piece things together (eg. what the final boss actually is beyond The Title Of The Game) - or don't, just go explore and kill things, that's totally cool.

Metroid Prime 2 was OK with that as well, as I recall. But I played 3 the most recently and yet I remember the least about it, except that there was a steampunk planet, an acid rain planet, and boring cutscenes.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

kazil posted:

Please, you mean to tell me that Quake didn't have a compelling narrative?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kazil posted:

excuse me, have you even played TF2?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

kazil posted:

"If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I’ve seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me."

:smugbert:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Dark Seed 2: mom's head explosion

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Sleeveless posted:

"If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I’ve seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me."

:smugbert:

I think I saw that on a button at Hot Topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suitaru posted:

Metroid Prime did the Dark Souls style of storytelling years earlier, and better. Read what you want, piece things together (eg. what the final boss actually is beyond The Title Of The Game) - or don't, just go explore and kill things, that's totally cool.

Metroid Prime 2 was OK with that as well, as I recall. But I played 3 the most recently and yet I remember the least about it, except that there was a steampunk planet, an acid rain planet, and boring cutscenes.

the Steampunk-floating-city planet was pretty awesome though :allears:.