Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Speedball posted:

Yeah, I won't defend them that.

Then again, basically everybody who handed the chancellorship over to Hitler thought they could control him. Very few people realized the whole country would go completely off the rails like it did, and most were just all "what can I get out of this?"

...kind of like the mob hiring the Joker in The Dark Knight, if they'd known they were opening that big a box of crazy they wouldn't have touched it.

Speaking of which, where is hitler in this game? Dead? Is Dethhead the new leader? The resistance sure treats him like the de facto leader of the Nazi empire.

...again I chime in with my bullship, but the Fuhrer is mentioned (not by name) in newspaper clippings. They probably had to do it because, well, you kill Deathshead, but how about the original Nazi? Would Detract from the ending, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

Speaking of Nazi inefficiency springing from leaders making stupid decisions (EG: Railway carriages six meters wide) and their subordinates following through on them through sheer terror, how come the Soviets didn't have the same problems? They were pretty gulag-happy when it came to people making bad political decisions - why didn't they end up with overengineered garbage? Or did they have just as many rotten apples in their bucket, but just a far bigger bucket so they didn't show as much? Or were their higher ups (like Stalin) just more likely to change their minds?

Well look into Lysekoism for some really hosed up poo poo with regards agricultural science:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00bw51j

There is one story from Tsarist Russia where the Nicolas I wanted a railway line from point A to point B and drew a line on a map with a ruler, but one of his fingers was poking over the top of the ruler, resulting in a curve on the track. They built the curve.

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/580-the-legend-of-the-tsars-finger

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Unfortunately BJ will not be facing off against Obersoldatmechanischfuhrer in glorious HD. I'm looking forward to seeing what gimmick mechanic that little sub provides us. A brief underwater infiltration section? Set better slap some sort of guns on that poo poo.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

J.theYellow posted:

Set Roth is a mensch by any name, with really great Yiddish/Hebrew dialogue. So of course I want to go look stuff up. :eng101: His voice actor, Mark Ivanir, played Marcel Goldberg the Jewish camp police officer who is believed to have actually written down the names of workers on what is known as "Schindler's List" (but not in the movie version.) He does lots of voice acting work for video games, including Mad Margo in Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, that some of the MachineGames devs worked on when they were at Starbreeze.
Wait no

You're making GBS threads me :aaa: ...oh my god he WAS in Schindler's List holy poo poo that's something, AND HE WAS IN PSYCHONAUTS TOO!?

This guy's loving awesome :haw: thanks for the heads up, that's pretty drat fantastic tor read so I'm really glad they got this dude in, Set Roth is really awesome for it.

kefkafloyd posted:

Anyway, here's the music heard through the concentration camp level. Enjoy, for it's the last soundtrack update we're going to have for a while. There was a more hopeful arrangement of Concrete for Miles in the level, but it doesn't make an appearance in the soundtrack, it's playing when BJ is talking to Set about infiltrating the guard's barracks.

Track 12: Konzentrationslager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GeWD2KMIbs

The dreary, sad guitar of the camp's ambiance. Sounds a lot like the slow part of the main menu music. Listening to it again, the music seems to have a sense of grief, of hopelessness, for a sense of loss for times better lived. It fits right in with the conversations you hear around the camp.

Track 13: Herr Faust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uy08um2jKI

Herr Faust (or Sir Fist) was the giant, lumbering robot that BJ commandeered at the end of the level. Fredrik Thorendal, lead guitarist of the Swedish metal band Meshuggah, guest stars on this track. Thorendal provides his trademark heavy guitar sound backed with Mick Gordon taking a turn at crunchy rhythm and synth. It's industrial, with a slow, ponderous beat that sounds like the rhythmic stomping of a murder robot. This music is half of what makes Herr Faust's rampage satisfying.
Seriously, both those themes are my favourite in the game simply because one of them is the epitome of hopelessness making the perfect backdrop, whereas the other is just gently caress everything and gently caress you all with a slow grindy heavy metal guitar to really sell the footstomps of Mr. Fist here.

"Concrete For Miles" by the way very much reminds me of this piece from Wolfenstein 3D, and I'm not sure if it was intentional or they just wanted to get down that particular Wolfenstein riff of sorts, or maybe that's just me.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

FinalGamer posted:

"Concrete For Miles" by the way very much reminds me of this piece from Wolfenstein 3D, and I'm not sure if it was intentional or they just wanted to get down that particular Wolfenstein riff of sorts, or maybe that's just me.

It reminds me of this piece from RTCW. It's not quite the same in melody, but it has a similar groove and feel, despite being a different genre completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XTvdKiaozM

Looking back at the music from RTCW and Wolf 09, Machinegames made a good choice to avoid the trappings of symphony in this game. The prior two games were scored much like a 1940s war film, where TNO's music is obviously more of a 60s crunchy rock. It sets the tone as much as the graphics do—you're not living out a John Wayne movie or Indiana Jones, you're trying to put the pieces back together of a fallen world. This is why the music was surprisingly good for a lot of people, since like the rest of the game it upended what people expected out of a Wolfenstein.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

One thing from the last video that really stood out to me is that Frau Blucher must have been a great ventriloquist, since she can enunciate that well without having any lips.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

LoonShia posted:

One thing from the last video that really stood out to me is that Frau Blucher must have been a great ventriloquist, since she can enunciate that well without having any lips.

Right? How do you talk that well with a gigantic hole in your face?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

LoonShia posted:

Her diction is markedly changed from the German she speaks.

On a different note, I noticed that I completely missed part of the train video. In the train is -- as you noted -- a poster for "Die Käfer", the German Beatles.

Polygon (yeah, I know) wrote an article on the music influences the team chose. The not-Beatles song titles include "The Moon Yeah Yeah Yeah" and "Blue Submarine".

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
When working on shoot man games you usually have to accept that people will run through a room you built for a week in two seconds.
So it's such a joy to watch these videos Lazyfire, awesome stuff.
Especially when you see people stop and notice all the little things we added. Makes all that research and time was worth it.

JcDent posted:

You see the car keys in London? I bet that's a Quake 3 rocket launcher right there
Yay glad someone noticed them, had to dig in old quake 3 files to find the model and texture. I also had to talk to the guys at id first to get permission to add it. They were very happy about it. :)

Antistar01 posted:

They really did, and they made great use of Id's megatexture stuff. Megatextures certainly had some problems early on in Rage (visibly streaming in ALL the textures every time you turned around :psyduck:), but it seems like the kinks were all worked out for TNO.
Yeah our coders did tweak the idtech engine a bit when we got it. Detailing the resistance base was so much fun. They gave me a month but I could have easily worked on it for at least a few more weeks. The challenge with painting textures was to also create a story in every room, and not just make it dirty.
http://codepen.io/aknox/full/emBBam/
Teklas room took a while texture. So many papers...
http://codepen.io/aknox/full/jEVVoR/

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

IronSaber posted:

Right? How do you talk that well with a gigantic hole in your face?

The voice actress should have delivered the lines with a wet sock in her mouth.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PAnick posted:

When working on shoot man games you usually have to accept that people will run through a room you built for a week in two seconds.
Especially when you see people stop and notice all the little things we added. Makes all that research and time was worth it.

Honestly, even when I was running through places they still had a really solid, coherent feel to them that made it fun to scurry through shooting people with two shotguns. Seriously, all the attention to detail, the writing, and the excellent mechanics are why this was the best game of 2014 for me.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

PAnick posted:

Yay glad someone noticed them, had to dig in old quake 3 files to find the model and texture. I also had to talk to the guys at id first to get permission to add it. They were very happy about it. :)

Yeah our coders did tweak the idtech engine a bit when we got it. Detailing the resistance base was so much fun. They gave me a month but I could have easily worked on it for at least a few more weeks. The challenge with painting textures was to also create a story in every room, and not just make it dirty.
Okay having someone who worked in the game in this thread just made everything so much better, that is great. I didn't even notice that gun there but mainly because I'm not a Quake fan whatsoever. Now I'd actually love to ask:
What was your favourite thing to model in this game PAnick? Unless it's not come up yet in the LP in which case let us know when it does come up :D

gschmidl posted:

Polygon (yeah, I know) wrote an article on the music influences the team chose. The not-Beatles song titles include "The Moon Yeah Yeah Yeah" and "Blue Submarine".
Anyone who's really curious to hear the songs in full can also go hear them on Soundcloud, which hilariously has a page for the in-game company Neumond Recording themselves further adding some form of realism to this thing. I actually really do love "Mond, Mond, Ja, Ja" a lot actually.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

PAnick posted:

I know it was said elsewhere but the VERY last thing I expected in a Wolfenstein game was to actually look around for details. You and your fellow devs did a really great job bringing what is ultimately a super pulpy goofy story into something that felt far more real than many games that actually take place in real places/times.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
To me, GOTY 2014 is a definite tie between this and the Wonderful 101. I was originally wary of the new alt-history setting (and the relative lack of explicit paranormal stuff, and the Elite Guard; Nazi mysticism and inexplicable Nazi vixens in leather are archetypes literally as old as the genre), but I quickly fell in love. Seriously, great work on the game, and also loving the LP so far.
Here's to hoping this game gets a much-deserved sequel.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So we now have Jewish super-science. And the game has previously called attention to a Nazi military moonbase.

Is this going where I hope it's going?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Cythereal posted:

So we now have Jewish super-science. And the game has previously called attention to a Nazi military moonbase.

Is this going where I hope it's going?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAZhtT-dUyo

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

And that would have made the moon sequence so, so much better. Da'at Yichud killer space robots or something.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

FinalGamer posted:

What was your favourite thing to model in this game PAnick? Unless it's not come up yet in the LP in which case let us know when it does come up :D

My main task was weapons, robots and vehicles and all those things were awesome to model :D I also did a huge amount of just....stuff. Furniture and props...you know boxes, tables, chairs, books, pens, lamps....etc. Lots of stamping as well.
I would direct you to my portfolio website but that would spoil a lot (bosses and characters that not yet revealed) so don't go there yet. :)

Things that have appeared so far:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To briefly go back to the pretty stellar depiction of a concentration\death camp in the game, one part that gets touched on near the start with the cement mixing but not really explained or expounded upon is just how stupid the Nazis were with these camps. Survivors from the camps have all these stories about how the Nazis would put carpenters to work laying bricks while bricklayers were put to work cutting boards and often when a prisoner attempted to point out that their skillset was better used elsewhere in the camp the Nazis would outright refuse to do anything. In many cases they deliberately learned what their prisoners skillsets were purely so they could be put to work doing something they didn't know how to do!

The result was that unsurprisingly the work camps were slow, inefficient and produced very little while consuming quite a lot of resources. The goddamn Nazis couldn't even oppress people efficiently.

You know, the other two panzerhounds look a bit implausible to me, but that one right there looks almost like a real thing that humans might actually build.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 3, 2015

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

PAnick posted:

I play a lot of shooters and this was one of the few games that made me feel like I had a reason to be in a room after the firefight or story moment in it. Even throw away rooms seemed to have something or other worth mentioning. In the London Nautica, for example, you end up in a few different elevator shafts that are in various stages of falling apart. Even though they have the same design you never confuse one for the other because you have different ways of traversing them, different objectives and different exits. In most games you get a single elevator shaft ever as a set piece or a filler room or multiple incidents that are near identical.

That's sort of a small example, but the larger point is that each room feels unique, even when there's an excuse for room A and room B to look and play the exact same. I think that contributed a ton to why I liked the game so much, instead of relying on some gimmick to make things fun or interesting the levels, enemies and story do it instead. Sadly, not a ton of games can make that claim anymore.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PAnick posted:

My main task was weapons, robots and vehicles and all those things were awesome to model :D I also did a huge amount of just....stuff. Furniture and props...you know boxes, tables, chairs, books, pens, lamps....etc. Lots of stamping as well.
I would direct you to my portfolio website but that would spoil a lot (bosses and characters that not yet revealed) so don't go there yet. :)

Tell whoever modeled Frau Engel's destroyed face that I'm scared of them.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

PAnick posted:

Who came up with my My Coon magazine?
I really like Klaus' door sign, too (especially adding a hat between the helmets).
Are people on the In Memoriam column dev team members?
I actually googled Crayons4U to see if you people actually hunted down 60's crayon names...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Neruz posted:

To briefly go back to the pretty stellar depiction of a concentration\death camp in the game, one part that gets touched on near the start with the cement mixing but not really explained or expounded upon is just how stupid the Nazis were with these camps. Survivors from the camps have all these stories about how the Nazis would put carpenters to work laying bricks while bricklayers were put to work cutting boards and often when a prisoner attempted to point out that their skillset was better used elsewhere in the camp the Nazis would outright refuse to do anything. In many cases they deliberately learned what their prisoners skillsets were purely so they could be put to work doing something they didn't know how to do!

The result was that unsurprisingly the work camps were slow, inefficient and produced very little while consuming quite a lot of resources. The goddamn Nazis couldn't even oppress people efficiently.

Don't forget how a lot of the infamous unreliability of Nazi equipment partly came from their own slave labor sabotaging the hell out of everything they could while building it. What Set was doing with the concrete is pretty much what a lot of Jewish (and other) prisoners did with everything they were asked to build.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Night10194 posted:

Don't forget how a lot of the infamous unreliability of Nazi equipment partly came from their own slave labor sabotaging the hell out of everything they could while building it. What Set was doing with the concrete is pretty much what a lot of Jewish (and other) prisoners did with everything they were asked to build.

Yeah but I always found it incredibly ironic that even had the prisoners been working to the best of their abilities they still would have been turning out low quality poo poo thanks to mismanagement.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

Yeah but I always found it incredibly ironic that even had the prisoners been working to the best of their abilities they still would have been turning out low quality poo poo thanks to mismanagement.

German equipment was also incredibly unreliable because much of their equipment was overengineered and overly complicated. There were exceptions to be sure, and some of their complex toys worked like a charm, but unreliability due to complexity and cost/frequency of maintenance is a big part of why the Tiger was historically considered a fairly mediocre and unimpressive tank, to name one example.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cythereal posted:

German equipment was also incredibly unreliable because much of their equipment was overengineered and overly complicated. There were exceptions to be sure, and some of their complex toys worked like a charm, but unreliability due to complexity and cost/frequency of maintenance is a big part of why the Tiger was historically considered a fairly mediocre and unimpressive tank, to name one example.

The first M26 Pershing in combat was knocked out by a Tiger I that almost immediately proceeded to back into a pile of rubble and get stuck; forcing its crew to abandon it :v:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Neruz posted:

The first M26 Pershing in combat was knocked out by a Tiger I that almost immediately proceeded to back into a pile of rubble and get stuck; forcing its crew to abandon it :v:

Oh sheisse, Klaus, rocks! Bail, mach schnell!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Neruz posted:

That has to be one of those days where you dread having to give a field report to your superiors.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Almost all the combat reports involving Tiger tanks basically come in two flavours; 'The tank was nearly indestructible until it got stuck on [Minor Geological Feature] and had to be abandoned\was shot in the back at close range' or 'The tank failed to reach combat and got stuck on [Minor Geological Feature] and had to be abandoned prior to engaging the enemy.' The Tiger I tank was an excellent machine on perfectly flat packed dirt fields and that was about it. Still better than the Tiger II though which mostly failed to do anything except stall and crash.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

kefkafloyd posted:

Track 13: Herr Faust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uy08um2jKI

Herr Faust (or Sir Fist) was the giant, lumbering robot that BJ commandeered at the end of the level. Fredrik Thorendal, lead guitarist of the Swedish metal band Meshuggah, guest stars on this track. Thorendal provides his trademark heavy guitar sound backed with Mick Gordon taking a turn at crunchy rhythm and synth. It's industrial, with a slow, ponderous beat that sounds like the rhythmic stomping of a murder robot. This music is half of what makes Herr Faust's rampage satisfying.

Did anyone else catch faint hints of C&C Red Alert's 'Hell March' in this? Listen to the background guitar riffs that start at 0:37 - I hope it's a little intentional nod to another iconic game track, but it could just be me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

Almost all the combat reports involving Tiger tanks basically come in two flavours; 'The tank was nearly indestructible until it got stuck on [Minor Geological Feature] and had to be abandoned\was shot in the back at close range' or 'The tank failed to reach combat and got stuck on [Minor Geological Feature] and had to be abandoned prior to engaging the enemy.' The Tiger I tank was an excellent machine on perfectly flat packed dirt fields and that was about it. Still better than the Tiger II though which mostly failed to do anything except stall and crash.

IIRC, the Tiger was far from indestructible. There have been several papers in the military history thread over in A/T and lengthy posts explaining that no, the Tiger was actually quite vulnerable to larger anti-tank weapons, and it was horrendously prone to spalling - you didn't need to penetrate a Tiger to do awful things to the interior mechanisms and crew. Most reports of Tigers being nigh-invulnerable seem to come from Allied forces not equipped to fight heavy tanks at all and unreliable German reports.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Neruz posted:

They also only built 200 or so of them. Even if you believe the SS's report that it took 8 Shermans to destroy a Tiger II (The SS's reports should be taken with a grain of salt) we had like 40-100 Shermans per Tiger II. So yeah, gently caress the Tiger.

Also, German Tank Engineers: "Sloped armor? That thing the T-34 is kicking our asses with? Eh, just a fad."

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cythereal posted:

IIRC, the Tiger was far from indestructible. There have been several papers in the military history thread over in A/T and lengthy posts explaining that no, the Tiger was actually quite vulnerable to larger anti-tank weapons, and it was horrendously prone to spalling - you didn't need to penetrate a Tiger to do awful things to the interior mechanisms and crew. Most reports of Tigers being nigh-invulnerable seem to come from Allied forces not equipped to fight heavy tanks at all and unreliable German reports.

Hey I never said the reports were reliable, just that's typically how they read :v:

Night10194 posted:

They also only built 200 or so of them. Even if you believe the SS's report that it took 8 Shermans to destroy a Tiger II (The SS's reports should be taken with a grain of salt) we had like 40-100 Shermans per Tiger II. So yeah, gently caress the Tiger.

Also, German Tank Engineers: "Sloped armor? That thing the T-34 is kicking our asses with? Eh, just a fad."

The Tiger II really had no redeeming features whatsoever, Tiger I's occasionally did something before they got stuck on a rock. Tiger II's never managed to even get that far.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There were like 500 Tiger IIs. They also tended to crack along the welds when struck by a non-penetrating high caliber hit, when they weren't catching fire.

Sloped armor made a pretty game-changing appearance on the Panther, so I'd hardly say that Germany ignored that particular lesson.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

More German Tank Engineers: "Cross country mobility is overrated. We've got Hetzers and Stugs, eh good enough for mobile forces."

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also unlike the Tiger series I'm given to understand that the Panthers were actually pretty decent tanks if you could get over the drive failing constantly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Strobe posted:

Sloped armor made a pretty game-changing appearance on the Panther, so I'd hardly say that Germany ignored that particular lesson.

When the weak spots in its armor weren't being penetrated by outdated anti-tank rifles, yes.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Early mark Panthers had transmission problems. Ausf G Panthers were forces to behold on the battlefield, and didn't break down much at all. It's hands down the best tank of the war, no question.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Strobe posted:

Early mark Panthers had transmission problems. Ausf G Panthers were forces to behold on the battlefield, and didn't break down much at all. It's hands down the best tank of the war, no question.

Eh, I'd give that nod to some flavor of T-34 myself, maybe a KV. Panthers were fine tanks, but best tank of the war? Hardly. I'd definitely give Germany the best SPG of the war, though, either the StuG III or the Hetzer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Well, if we're talking about effective usage? T-34. The problem with T-34s is that they were actually designed to last just long enough to die in combat, which meant that even though they were fairly reliable for the first 500 km or so, they had a nasty tendency to just catastrophically stop working past that. Panthers didn't have that problem (and didn't tend to live long enough to break down anyway).

• Locked thread