Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've been reading links from Longform and am drawn to the stuff from Texas Monthly.

Here is Wheel in the Sky, about a small town high school band and a Ferris wheel accident. The linked article is a bit vague on what actually happened, so here is a contemporary article that describes the accident part in detail.

If that isn't enough Texas tragedy, the New London school explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I've been reading links from Longform and am drawn to the stuff from Texas Monthly.

Here is Wheel in the Sky, about a small town high school band and a Ferris wheel accident. The linked article is a bit vague on what actually happened, so here is a contemporary article that describes the accident part in detail.

If that isn't enough Texas tragedy, the New London school explosion.

drat, I looked up the "Larry Ed" from the article, wondering what became of him... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Combest
His mother committed suicide, his sister died in the accident, after apparently becoming a nervous wreck during his school days he grows up to become a congressman, and then his daughter dies at 34. I feel awful for the man.

RNG has a new favorite as of 12:33 on Jan 1, 2015

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010

Herv posted:

Unnerving, I can't believe that to this day, the president has just a few minutes to make this caliber of a decision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football

Wherever he is, the Football is not far. The Biscuit is in his jacket.

Not sure why, but I can't find pictures of him walking down the street and 20 yards behind him is some guy lugging that relic around. But yeah, look behind him here.

e: Older article about it.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-05-05-nuclear-football_x.htm

The best part of that wiki article is the story about Brezhnev "unexpectedly" driving away with Nixon in the passenger seat of a Lincoln Continental leaving the Secret Service behind. WTF?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Nixon mentions it in his memoirs and it got dramatised in a TV movie at some point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgIpVULKAEI

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'm fond of the idea that possibly at this very moment, the loving Coast Guard has the football.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Loomer posted:

I'm fond of the idea that possibly at this very moment, the loving Coast Guard has the football.
Yeah, surely they should be policing the police right now. :v:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Herv posted:

Unnerving, I can't believe that to this day, the president has just a few minutes to make this caliber of a decision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football

Wherever he is, the Football is not far. The Biscuit is in his jacket.

Not sure why, but I can't find pictures of him walking down the street and 20 yards behind him is some guy lugging that relic around. But yeah, look behind him here.

e: Older article about it.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-05-05-nuclear-football_x.htm

Want to know what one of the proposed alternatives by Roger Fisher to the nuclear football was?

The guy would have a briefcase containing a knife. The man carrying the briefcase would have the launch code surgically implanted in a device near or under his heart. If the president wanted to get the code out, he'd have to take the knife and cut the guy open to get the launch codes, killing him in the process.

This proposal was shot down because it was said that the president would be too traumatized by having to kill him to get the launch codes. (The hundreds of millions of deaths in nuclear fire and fallout, well, that's not so bad.)

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Three-Phase posted:

Want to know what one of the proposed alternatives by Roger Fisher to the nuclear football was?

The guy would have a briefcase containing a knife. The man carrying the briefcase would have the launch code surgically implanted in a device near or under his heart. If the president wanted to get the code out, he'd have to take the knife and cut the guy open to get the launch codes, killing him in the process.

This proposal was shot down because it was said that the president would be too traumatized by having to kill him to get the launch codes. (The hundreds of millions of deaths in nuclear fire and fallout, well, that's not so bad.)

Put the president under, implant code under president's own bicep, so in order to launch nukes, president must cut codes out of own arm first :black101:

Scramble codes after change of administration, of course.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Three-Phase posted:

That's an incredibly :black101: method and I heartily endorse it. If you're going to murder millions of people with atomic fire from thousand of miles away, then you should be non gender-specifically man enough to murder one with a knife.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Literally Kermit posted:

Put the president under, implant code under president's own bicep, so in order to launch nukes, president must cut codes out of own arm first :black101:

Scramble codes after change of administration, of course.

Yeah, right. Then one day he's flexing at some trailer park floozie, and BAM! No more Tajikistan.

Well, that would have been a danger with Clinton. I am not sure who Obama flexes at. Maybe just Michelle?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Three-Phase posted:

I get the point but.. What happens when the guy with the codes in his chest retires, or transfers to another position?

:colbert:

Anyways it turns out that running Mount Weather (aka The Special Facility, aka High Point, aka the Classified Location, aka the President's nuclear bunker) is mind numbingly normal.

Also, random nuclear war stuff.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

That's an incredibly :black101: method and I heartily endorse it. If you're going to murder millions of people with atomic fire from thousand of miles away, then you should be non gender-specifically man enough to murder one with a knife.

But like a lot of these :smug: proposals to counter human nature, it doesn't really take into account the practicalities of the situation. The Soviets would have completed their first strike by the time the President got word, got the knife, and then cut the guy's heart out. And any implant small enough to not interfere with the person's life would be hard to find in that spurting arterial blood.

Obviously it wasn't a serious proposal, but there's a metric ton of reasons to reject it other than the pat "the president can't kill one guy to his face" excuse given.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

But like a lot of these :smug: proposals to counter human nature, it doesn't really take into account the practicalities of the situation. The Soviets would have completed their first strike by the time the President got word, got the knife, and then cut the guy's heart out. And any implant small enough to not interfere with the person's life would be hard to find in that spurting arterial blood.

Obviously it wasn't a serious proposal, but there's a metric ton of reasons to reject it other than the pat "the president can't kill one guy to his face" excuse given.

Fine, the nuclear football stays as it is, but using it activates a device in the aide's heart that kills him anyway.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

WickedHate posted:

Fine, the nuclear football stays as it is, but using it activates a device in the aide's heart that kills him anyway.

I'd volunteer for that; I wouldn't want to survive to see what would be left of the world when the nukes were done being tossed around.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

I'd volunteer for that; I wouldn't want to survive to see what would be left of the world when the nukes were done being tossed around.

Suit yourself. I'll be having the time of my life fighting mutant bears and raiding Survivo-Cubes for protein bars.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WickedHate posted:

The president has a black box with a single button on the top. If he presses the button, the Soviet Union is destroyed by atomic hellfire but someone he doesn't know will die (who is not one of the millions incinerated by Soviet or American missiles).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
At this point I think we just want the president to kill more then he already is. I suggest dropping the missile part and just making it a button that blows up the whole planet, and cuts off life support for any astronauts in space.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Self-destruct button.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jack Gladney posted:

The president has a black box with a single button on the top. If he presses the button, the Soviet Union is destroyed by atomic hellfire but someone he doesn't know will die (who is not one of the millions incinerated by Soviet or American missiles).

I read once that the nuclear "football" was basically a mockup. A military spokesman said it was to reassure the president that he was in control.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't the original launch code something like 00000000?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Solice Kirsk posted:

It might be apocryphal but the story is that the air force were really unhappy with having any kind of safety or security slowing down their response to soviet attack, so they set the codes to all zeros to claw back some vital seconds.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

That is the code for the actual missile launch consoles themselves. Which to be fair, if someone actually got to one who wasn't authorized we already have a big problem.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

That is the code for the actual missile launch consoles themselves. Which to be fair, if someone actually got to one who wasn't authorized we already have a big problem.

Good thing the people manning and heading your Nuclear Weapons are competent, trained, and definitely do not cheat on their tests or prop open silo doors with crowbars.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Everyone should read Command and Control and marvel at the fact that we haven't all died in a nuclear holocaust caused, not by any act of malevolence, but by simple incompetence.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6452798-command-and-control

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

And yet I somehow still feel better about how the US handles its nuclear arsenal than how Russia does...

Now I'm kind of curious about the horrifying things in the Chinese nuclear program. We know they have to happen just by human nature, but they must have had some spectacular problems given how China keeps finding new and better ways to shoot themselves in the foot.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Thoughts on the death of 30s film star Thelma Todd? She died at the age of 29, apparently of carbon monoxide poisoning in her garage. Turbulent private life. You may remember her from a couple of Laurel and Hardy films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelma_Todd

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Random Stranger posted:

And yet I somehow still feel better about how the US handles its nuclear arsenal than how Russia does...

Now I'm kind of curious about the horrifying things in the Chinese nuclear program. We know they have to happen just by human nature, but they must have had some spectacular problems given how China keeps finding new and better ways to shoot themselves in the foot.

And for true :magical: level, imagine the North Korean nuclear program.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Given the seismic data from their previous tests it's possible that they faked the tests with loads of conventional explosives buried underground and only killed a mass of slave labourers in the progress.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Random Stranger posted:

Look man, is it so wrong to want to see a crazed, blood-soaked President Obama screaming at a news camera with a knife in his hand yelling, "THIS LIFE TAKEN IS BUT THE FIRST OF MANY, AND WITH THIS MAN'S BLOOD I SHALL SUMMON PURE OBLITERATION!"

I mean, hey, I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but if we're going to initiate a nuclear apocalypse let's at least get some badass Youtube clips out of it first.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

That one I don't have to imagine. There's a US diplomat who went to one of those six-party nuclear disarmament talks in North Korea and he tells a story about how in one meeting a North Korean representative sets a briefcase on the table, pops it open, and inside are two glass jars with some silver metal in it. Yes, they were carrying around plutonium in glass jars and a briefcase and brought it into negotiations.

At least the health effects for the people in the room were relatively minor. Pu-239 has a half-life of over twenty thousand years so unless you build your house on it there's not a lot of threat from the radiation. OTOH, it is toxic beyond belief and I would wash my hands until they were raw after shaking hands with someone who touched the jar just because I wouldn't trust them to have the outside clean.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

That one I don't have to imagine. There's a US diplomat who went to one of those six-party nuclear disarmament talks in North Korea and he tells a story about how in one meeting a North Korean representative sets a briefcase on the table, pops it open, and inside are two glass jars with some silver metal in it. Yes, they were carrying around plutonium in glass jars and a briefcase and brought it into negotiations.

At least the health effects for the people in the room were relatively minor. Pu-239 has a half-life of over twenty thousand years so unless you build your house on it there's not a lot of threat from the radiation. OTOH, it is toxic beyond belief and I would wash my hands until they were raw after shaking hands with someone who touched the jar just because I wouldn't trust them to have the outside clean.

M-M-Martin Random?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Last Chance posted:

M-M-Martin Random?

Only if in his actual identity he wrote a memoir and gave an interview on NPR about it.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Zombie Raptor posted:

Like a lot of other posts, this isn't a Wiki--I couldn't find anything about this on there. However, I was going through Longform.org's 'Best of 2014' articles--many of which are really good, by the way--and I came across a story from Peru that's not exactly the most horrifying thing in the world by any means, and it's not something that would bother me as much as some of the other cases and posts in here, but in all, I would argue all day long that it's pretty loving unnerving and scary to think about.

In 2012, the Peruvian version of the gimmicky polygraph-based game/reality show Moment of Truth ("El Valor de la Verdad" in Peru) had a young lady, Ruth Thalia, on as a contestant. She had had a really hard life with an extremely impoverished background, and even though she ultimately walked away with relatively little in winnings, the consequences were devastating. After she was publicly humiliated, she disappeared. The combination of the family's finances, the police's indifference/incompetence, and mishandling of the story by the media (Among other stuff the article goes into) turns the whole ordeal from a waking nightmare into a Sisyphean tale of loss.

It's these stories about the dark potential of popular culture and subjective morality that really spook me. Her life ruined for a game show...

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Thoughts on the death of 30s film star Thelma Todd? She died at the age of 29, apparently of carbon monoxide poisoning in her garage. Turbulent private life. You may remember her from a couple of Laurel and Hardy films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelma_Todd

Here's a super write-up of the story.

http://thesilentmovieblog.wordpress.com/2010/12/13/the-death-of-thelma-todd/

:nms: warning: there's a death photo of her. It isn't disgusting or anything; she's just slumped over.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Khazar-khum posted:

Here's a super write-up of the story.

http://thesilentmovieblog.wordpress.com/2010/12/13/the-death-of-thelma-todd/

:nms: warning: there's a death photo of her. It isn't disgusting or anything; she's just slumped over.

Pro-click there. The whole blog is worth a look.

The writer thinks that the only book on Thelma Todd is rubbish and suspect he might be right. Problem is, as all the participants and witnesses are dead now I doubt there's any way to solve the riddle.

E: Worth going through the blog to see photos of catty letters from Louise Brooks, actress, model and uberbitch...

Josef K. Sourdust has a new favorite as of 12:19 on Jan 4, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Speaking of CO poisoning, I Googled my friends name way back when and this poo poo popped up.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
How about a music break?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayhem_%28band%29

Some murders, a suicide, corpse necklaces, churches burning... (you'll need to click around, it's not all on this page)

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

a kitten posted:

Everyone should read Command and Control and marvel at the fact that we haven't all died in a nuclear holocaust caused, not by any act of malevolence, but by simple incompetence.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6452798-command-and-control

Rachel Maddow's "Drift" also has a chapter about the US's dilapidated nuclear arsenal.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Doctor Malaver posted:

How about a music break?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayhem_%28band%29

Some murders, a suicide, corpse necklaces, churches burning... (you'll need to click around, it's not all on this page)

Varg Vikernes on his own is enough to make it into this thread. He is a very disturbing individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

To be fair, none were cheating because they were incompetent, everyone passed the retests. They cheated because the only way to get promoted out of the nuclear base in the middle of nowhere was to consistently get 100% on the tests, which is something they have fixed: http://www.npr.org/2014/07/28/334501037/to-stop-cheating-nuclear-officers-ditch-the-grades