Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So now that Netflix got Friends, is it a good show that is funny or is it overrated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think Friends is a really funny show as long as you don't watch more than 3 episodes in a day because then the characters get annoying.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I think Friends is a really funny show as long as you don't watch more than 3 episodes in a day because then the characters get annoying.

Any stand out episodes to start with?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We binge-watched Homeland Season 4 over the last three days, after losing all interest and getting annoyed watching Season 3 while it aired. I thought 4 was actually much better than 3 and the second half of 2, but after all the action and excitement, it ended on a sour note with the low-key and uninteresting Matheson family drama back home.

I have no idea what series to get hooked on binge-watching next, but at least all my shows will be back over the next few weeks.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The One with Ross's Sandwich
The One where Ross learns Karate

Ross is my least favorite character but I remember those in particular.

I should clarify these are actually the only two episodes I've ever seen. If you really want a recommendation for an eminently watchable show that combines comedy and drama without characters that come across like there's a TV camera on, I would direct you to HBO's "Arliss" without hesitation.

oldpainless fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 1, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Excellent will watch those thanks!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Excellent will watch those thanks!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

One of my favorites is The One With the Embryos.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

six feet under: season 4, episode 1/2

Holy poo poo, Nate's loving hardcore to bury his mutilated wife...god drat. I really don't like not knowing how she died though, besides just drowning. Though, I guess that's what they were going for-knowing you can't always know why people die.

I think that Ruth is going to be the next to die. She married the loving widow maker for crying out loud.

I was expecting Brenda and Nate to get back together right away, but I'm glad that didn't happen. Though, she's still in town, so I dunno wtf.

And I'm pretty loving blown away by Keith's relationship with Nate's brother...no idea why I can't remember his name. Dude gets a BJ from a plumber when I thought they were in a relationship (a relationship where they have threesomes, but whatever), and Keith is apparently fine with it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Please keep posting your thoughts, I love SFU and am always interested in hearing what other people think.

Also, the name you're blanking on is David.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Brenda, Billy, and their whole family is so much more hosed up than the Fishers. I kinda wanted to see a show about them. And I wish that Charlotte Light and Dark book was real.

nwin posted:

six feet under: season 4, episode 1/2

Holy poo poo, Nate's loving hardcore to bury his mutilated wife...god drat. I really don't like not knowing how she died though, besides just drowning. Though, I guess that's what they were going for-knowing you can't always know why people die.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 2, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

That book is frickin' great, btw.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Watching Oz again. Good show and its cool to see a ton of good actors from other HBO stuff drop in and out but I forgot how depressing it is.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watching Real Humans from Sweden http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2180271/.

It's about Androids, who seem to have developed a sense of self. Got a a very dark vibe about it. Its a pain in the rear end to find, i'm watching it on Vimeo.

Visually it's weird. Swedes are weird.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

you might just wanna skip every episode from here on out

Skipped a few and went to the finale of Season 3. What is this poo poo? Everyone is so random in their actions and then the Final Five becoming aware to the tune of all along the watchtower. I read the summaries of Season 4, less than impressed, so back to House of Cards.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Just start at the beginning. There are call backs and jokes all throughout the series that you might get a smirk out of if you recognize them.

Anyway, Friends is great, I remember watching it a bit when it was on but never like following the story or getting too invested in it. A couple years ago I borrowed all the DVDs from my sister and just watched every season in a row a couple episodes at a time (the above poster is right, the characters do get a little annoying if you're exposed to them for 2-3 hours) and now its one of my favorite sitcoms of all time. It may not be the funniest show but it is very consistent throughout.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm watching The Shield for the first time with my wife. We both are enjoying it, but I'm more into it than she is. We are almost done with Season 3 and I'm doing my best to stay out of the thread for this show. I like watching Vic but goddamn, he is such a hateable character who keeps getting by with stuff by the skin of his teeth.

After this I'm thinking Oz or The Sopranos. Haven't seen either and I want to see them both while HBO is available on Amazon Prime. Which do you all like better, and why? I'll have to sell it to my wife who, the last series we watched all the way through together, was Fringe.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The Sopranos is one of the best shows ever, so I'd go with that.

I'm a huge fan of Oz too but it's pretty rough nowadays and has a lot (a lot) of rape and random stabbings that you may or may not be into.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
The Americans.

Holy poo poo the Americans.

Definitely recommended for everyone but especially Sopranos fans. Not exactly the same but similar atmosphere and quality of writing.

Trig Discipline posted:

Almost done with The Americans, which makes me sad. Such a good show. I know it comes back in three weeks, but still that's THREE WHOLE WEEKS.

Every single episode watched is one less episode left to binge. I simultaneously love myself for watching it and loathe myself for letting myself catch up. Watching it weekly is going to loving kill me.

Also, The Wire is in HD/true widescreen on HBO GO and Amazon Prime so if you're interested in one of the best shows ever made and have been putting it off because it was in 4:3, now's the time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I've tried the sopranos a couple of times but I can't get into it. I've only lasted a few episodes into season 1. It's surprising because I normally love everything else (breaking bad, the wire, true detective, etc).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

The Duke posted:

I'm a huge fan of Oz too but it's pretty rough nowadays and has a lot (a lot) of rape and random stabbings that you may or may not be into.

I liked Oz a lot, but the last few seasons with the bizarre stuff with Rebadow kind of put me off of it. It also has the most penises per minute I've ever seen in a tv show, so there's that.

I just finished catching up with Suits. I like where it's going even if they are returning to an old plot-line which I know Mike is going to end up finding another way out, but it was a nice change of pace - I thought things were getting a bit slow in season 3.

I also just started White Collar (I'm running out of things on Netflix to watch) - what's the consensus on that? It's ok so far although I think the main guy looks ridiculous in the hats.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 3, 2015

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Murphy Brownback posted:

I also just started White Collar (I'm running out of things on Netflix to watch) - what's the consensus on that? It's ok so far although I think the main guy looks ridiculous in the hats.

I found it really good for some background watching but it gets a little samey after a while. It doesn't hurt that I find Matt Bomer :swoon:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

101 posted:

I found it really good for some background watching but it gets a little samey after a while. It doesn't hurt that I find Matt Bomer :swoon:

It does feel very much like a "criminal of the week" show like the Law & Order shows. I don't really mind that though. I am definitely feeling a Neal sleeping with the FBI guy's wife plot coming on sooner rather than later, but overall I'm still enjoying it 9 episodes in.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We've caught up on The Americans (amazing all the way through), and now we're watching House of Cards. It's good, but the whole talking-to-the-camera thing just gets on my nerves. Some of those lines are funny and/or propel the story forward, but pretty much any time it happens my first thought is "A better writer could have given me this information without such an artificial device". Still really enjoying it on the whole, though.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Trig Discipline posted:

We've caught up on The Americans (amazing all the way through), and now we're watching House of Cards. It's good, but the whole talking-to-the-camera thing just gets on my nerves. Some of those lines are funny and/or propel the story forward, but pretty much any time it happens my first thought is "A better writer could have given me this information without such an artificial device". Still really enjoying it on the whole, though.

I thought it played to his huge ego. He's always the smartest man in the room and he's constantly reiterating it in his head

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

mrking posted:

I thought it played to his huge ego. He's always the smartest man in the room and he's constantly reiterating it in his head

Yeah, it's a character development device. It did start out as a bit odd, since most shows don't have characters directly talking to the camera, but it does a pretty good job of painting a three-dimensional character.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Trig Discipline posted:

Its suppose to be a lot like a Shakespeare tragedy so the talking to camera things make sense.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I guess it's nice that it doesn't bother other people so much, but no amount of justification is going to make me think it's a good choice even if you can argue that it "makes sense" in some way - it's just an inherently artificial thing to do, and it takes me out of the story every time it happens.

I still think it's a good show overall, but having just watched two seasons of The Americans I can't help but make the comparison. In that show we get to really know those characters very naturally through their actions and conversations with each other, and the show has enough faith in the audience and the acting to assume that you understand what's going on without one of the characters turning to the camera and saying "this is what I'm thinking right now, and here's why I'm doing what I'm doing".

So again, it's great if it doesn't bother the rest of you but it's never not going to bother me. Still totally a good show, though.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

nwin posted:

I've tried the sopranos a couple of times but I can't get into it. I've only lasted a few episodes into season 1. It's surprising because I normally love everything else (breaking bad, the wire, true detective, etc).

Season 1 is, in my opinion, one of the weaker seasons. Season 2 has always been my favorite (the season finale especially) so if you can, I'd recommend trying to at least get a few episodes into season 2 before giving up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah you need to wait till after our friend does the thing to the mook, then it's on.

Capisce?

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 4, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Its suppose to be a lot like a Shakespeare tragedy so the talking to camera things make sense.

It's probably the most famous feature of the BBC version, so it makes sense they'd want to carry it over

Thing is, if I remember correctly, Urquhart only ever does it when he's alone on screen; I'm fairly sure there's been a few instances of Underwood doing it while there's other people with him (for example, the scene where he's sworn in, I think, though I may be misremembering).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 4, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Churning through a few shows while the usuals are on hiatus.

Really enjoying The Blue Rose From NZ, it's sort of a crime show. Hard to explain, but it's about two new friends tracking down a killer on their spare time. Cancelled after 1 season because NZ is retarded. Siobhan Marshall (Outrageous Fortune, Almighty Johnsons) is in it and i would watch her read a phone book :allears:

Also getting through Real Humans aka Äkta människor, Androids are a household appliance, some gain sentience. Bit of a slog, but the acting is strong. Effects are outstanding. Sweden is such a strange place... some of the scenes in family homes and stores are so brightly lit it almost looks like a pastel version of Utopia.

Plus these hotties....

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 4, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

It's probably the most famous feature of the BBC version, so it makes sense they'd want to carry it over

Thing is, if I remember correctly, Urquhart only ever does it when he's alone on screen; I'm fairly sure there's been a few instances of Underwood doing it while there's other people with him (for example, the scene where he's sworn in, I think, though I may be misremembering).

Oh, there are many times when he does it in other people's presence. With Linda, and Bob (I think). I also believe he does it a bunch when he's down home, after the car accident issue with the peach.

Edit: pretty sure he's done it in front of the president, too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, there are many times when he does it in other people's presence. With Linda, and Bob (I think). I also believe he does it a bunch when he's down home, after the car accident issue with the peach.

Edit: pretty sure he's done it in front of the president, too.

I think they mean in the BBC version he only does it when alone.

My favorite use of that was actually when he was talking to someone he found annoying (might've been the president?) and he just looks at the viewer and eyerolls.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

computer parts posted:

I think they mean in the BBC version he only does it when alone.

I know, I was just chiming in saying, 'yes, Frank Underwood has done this numerous times with people around'.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
How is the BBC version?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"House of Cards" itself is very good but "To Play the King" and "The Final Cut" are weaker, in my opinion (because it's more entertaining watching Urquhart stab everyone in the back as he rises to the top than it is to watch him stab them all in the front now that he's essentially got undisputed power) but worth watching for Ian Richardson's performance.

On a more technical level, I think Urquhart's rise to power is presented more effectively in the context of the British political system as compared to the American one.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 4, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I still think it's incredible that Underwood became the motherfucking president with zero votes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still think it's incredible that Underwood became the motherfucking president with zero votes.

This happened in real life too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

This happened in real life too!

Oh yeah... Sorry, I'm Canadian!