Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I felt kind of bad for him with his run going off the rails like that.

Or not off the rails as the case may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
That MK run looked like he didn't practice at all.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So was that awful MK Wii run freezing up and making horrible grating sounds every now and then or is my video card getting ready to take a poo poo again?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

flatluigi posted:

It was okay, the technical issues overshadowed it a ton + the dude didn't know when to give up on IL strats though

I think a lot of people completely missed him explaining that you can't get mushrooms in first b/c I was seeing a lot of "wow why is he starting every race in last" in IRC

IL strats?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Just a note, that shirtless flexing Caleb clip wasn't live, it was indeed part of the highlight reel.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jibo posted:

So was that awful MK Wii run freezing up and making horrible grating sounds every now and then or is my video card getting ready to take a poo poo again?

That was the stream rejecting it.

But now it is time for us to bow down to our high speed robotic overlords. Assuming the timing doesn't go off on them again. :v:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

flatluigi posted:

It was okay, the technical issues overshadowed it a ton + the dude didn't know when to give up on IL strats though

I think a lot of people completely missed him explaining that you can't get mushrooms in first b/c I was seeing a lot of "wow why is he starting every race in last" in IRC

He was often starting in last because he kept burning out like an idiot.

That run sucked and it shouldn't have made it past cuts.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Jibo posted:

Stream was lagging really bad but I dunno about any sounds, was fine on my end. Just dropped frames entirely every 5s and made a bad run even worse.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mk wii is probably the most horrible mario kart to try and speedrun anyways so really all you do have are the occasional out of bounds maneuver with the rest being hosed-up luck manipulation

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

DarkSol posted:

IL strats?

Individual Level strats - generally, high-risk high-reward strategies that you'd go for when you're just grinding out individual level records because if you mess up you can just restart the level.. In a Real-Time Attack run (RTA - what all of these marathons are, generally), you'd maybe go for the IL strat once or twice to show it off, then do your backup strat. Instead we got this chucklefuck failing the same clip like two dozen times.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

flatluigi posted:

It was missing his explanation and knowing from past Mario kart games that you could (if you're very good and quick with input).

Either way glad I missed it. Bring on tasbot.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DarkSol posted:

IL strats?

"Individual Level" strategies - basically risky strats that give you the theoretical best time versus ones that are safer but slower. When you hear someone say they're going for 'backup strats' that's usually someone failing at a risky trick and falling back to regular stuff.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Frequently, even before MKWii, the stream would stutter if the "ad banner" refreshed. But in MKWii, it would stutter EVERY TIME the banner refreshed, stutter WORSE, and even stutter arbitrarily.

fix yo poo poo

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

11st place. The most shameful of places.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

I'm positive that the burn out was intentional because he wanted to drop to the back for the items and he might as well do something at the start. Of course, I thought that just coasting the acceleration until you're about in sixth would maximize your chances for mushrooms while avoiding the "super" items that are useless and minimizing lost time for a run...

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

AGDQ15 was just mercy killed after that run, thanks for watching folks!

Noooooo! :( I tapped out for Banjo, DKR, and Mario Kart, but I want that TASBot block. Their live reprogramming of SMW last year to make Mario Snake was so drat cool.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jibo posted:

That was the paid audio technician.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Daily reminder for CoolMatty to fix the crt feedback
I guess he decided to fix it live?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Natalya Fartz posted:

Well I can still maybe finish 1st if I'm lucky

*finishes 11th*

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
The subscribers are worse than free chat. Donation comments get read and you hardly see a biblethump. Terrible sound quality

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Mend This!

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

Natalya Fartz posted:

Forgot the credit: https://twitter.com/dsydude/status/551912078702047234

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

mfcrocker posted:

I didn't enjoy the run either but the burnout was 100% intentional just to drop to last and get better items to try for fun skips.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

theultimo posted:

theyve lost literally 30k viewers since DKR started...END THIS :|

Even if they lost 30k viewers, they still had 100k at the lowest point. That's loving impressive for the start of the marathon.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Pokemon plays Twitch :vince:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Minrad posted:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

A couple n-bombs and ascii penises got through :laugh:

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe

Minrad posted:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
OMG the world is over, how to you break the hypervisor on a SGB to break an snes??!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Minrad posted:

Totally insane. Makes up for the last 3 runs and then some

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Minrad posted:

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

A standing ovation for text on a snes. Jesus Christ.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Minrad posted:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Meh I'd have been impressed if they directly connected via XBAND.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

TASers are pretty drat incredible.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I feel really sorry for the people following tasbot.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

TASbot is incredible.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Making SMW into SMB1 is also impressive. I hope they make SOTN into CV1 some time.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Minrad posted:

This and also throwing a whole ROM hack that is SMB and throw it into SMW. TAS'ers should just find more arbitrary code execution things just to make the wackiest things possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NinetySevenA posted:

TASbot is incredible.

• Locked thread