Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Do I need the toolbar mod for this? I don't see the buttons, but I used to when I had toolbar installed.

Yeah you do need toolbars, otherwise you only get the map when you activate a scansat part AFAIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

You get nodes later in the tech tree, and you also get radial attachment points which let you...well...attach things radially, including docking ports.

Welp. That explains it. Thank you!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Addendum: I tried to do mods. I really did. I installed Engineer, ScanSat, the scansat mission pack, and um... the stuff CKAN told me to download in conjunction with those two, some contracts mods and some toolbar mod.

Fun fact: Now when I cluster rockets (edit: actually I think only SRBs are doing it) with symmetry, they refuse to light off all at once, but only one at a time. *frantically rapid-pushes the space bar on launch* And a number of contracts seem to not be triggering, like... none of the orbital flight tests seem to 'work' anymore, in that I will be orbiting and between the altitudes given and it won't light up with a check mark to tell me it's a good time to trigger the test, and if I do the test anyway I don't get credit. I like Scansat, but uh... I may revert to vanilla. :stare:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

warcake posted:

Yeah you do need toolbars, otherwise you only get the map when you activate a scansat part AFAIK.

Thanks everyone.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

Mukaikubo posted:

Addendum: I tried to do mods. I really did. I installed Engineer, ScanSat, the scansat mission pack, and um... the stuff CKAN told me to download in conjunction with those two, some contracts mods and some toolbar mod.

Fun fact: Now when I cluster rockets (edit: actually I think only SRBs are doing it) with symmetry, they refuse to light off all at once, but only one at a time. *frantically rapid-pushes the space bar on launch* And a number of contracts seem to not be triggering, like... none of the orbital flight tests seem to 'work' anymore, in that I will be orbiting and between the altitudes given and it won't light up with a check mark to tell me it's a good time to trigger the test, and if I do the test anyway I don't get credit. I like Scansat, but uh... I may revert to vanilla. :stare:

I literally have like 100 mods installed and have never had that issue. Weird. Are you using 64bit? If so, that's almost assuredly the problem and I'd be really surprised if using 32bit didn't fix it - 64bit is unstable as hell even without mods.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

I literally have like 100 mods installed and have never had that issue. Weird. Are you using 64bit? If so, that's almost assuredly the problem and I'd be really surprised if using 32bit didn't fix it - 64bit is unstable as hell even without mods.

I had to go into task manager to be sure, but no, it's plain old 32 bit.

edit: Another weird thing? It keeps on giving me the contract to just orbit Kerbin. It's really odd. I mean, sure, that's free money and science especially when most of the flight tests outright fail, but uh.... I've done that contract 4 times now.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Mukaikubo posted:

I had to go into task manager to be sure, but no, it's plain old 32 bit.

edit: Another weird thing? It keeps on giving me the contract to just orbit Kerbin. It's really odd. I mean, sure, that's free money and science especially when most of the flight tests outright fail, but uh.... I've done that contract 4 times now.

I had the same staging problem. Playing with staging seemed to help, and the BACC booster didn't suffer the same issue. It's gone now, so I can't help you troubleshoot much.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Oh wow ckan - finally a thing for this! Sad that biggest-pain-in-the-rear end-addon Astronomer Pack doesn't work with it. Looks like the install instructions got even more complex urgh - is there a ckan-friendly lighter weight visual improver?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Outsourced R&D is basically cheating. I just got a 1350 upfront science bonus for accepting a contract and I'm still in the part of the game where new tech nodes are 45 science to research. I'll get another 2000 or so science when I actually complete the contract.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kolony in a box!

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

shovelbum posted:

Kolony in a box!

I approve.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

RoverDude posted:

I approve.

Any chance of getting machinery as a kontainer option?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What's in the box?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Count Roland posted:

What's in the box?

Nothing! You so stupid!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Count Roland posted:

What's in the box?

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

shovelbum posted:

Any chance of getting machinery as a kontainer option?

Sure, log a github issue.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Can ScanSat display karbonite deposits that get found? I've got a satellite with multispectral and karbonite sensors at 100km polar, and the big map only displays a bunch of "Anomaly"s; are these karbonite concentrations or something else?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So I've got Jeb stranded on the Mun with some weird glitch. His rocket is currently tipped over but fully functional... normally. At least it was when I quicksaved and quit the game a few days ago, I actually could get airborne by spinning really fast and bouncing off a radial battery. Now however, when I load the save the ship is just stuck there, not even kicking the engine on moves the ship, it just won't budge whatsoever.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
(Edited for clarity)

Last I used ScanSat, you had to select which data map to display. Click buttons. Make sure you actually ran the scanner (it may have different altitude requirements than the anomaly one).

Edit addition:
Mun stranded post above, are your gear deployed? Sometimes my landing leg would get stuck in the surface when deployed.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 5, 2015

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Mun stranded post above, are your gear deployed? Sometimes my landing leg would get stuck in the surface when deployed.

I uh, have no landing gear. Landed straight on a single LV-909 safely then the whole thing tipped over after Jeb got out.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Thanks to the Ubio Welding Mod (.90 version on that page), I took 40 parts, and melded them into one! Result.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Has anyone had the MKS Fuel Refinery not actually produce LFO? Mine is eating water fine and giving me nothing.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

FlyingCheese posted:

I uh, have no landing gear. Landed straight on a single LV-909 safely then the whole thing tipped over after Jeb got out.

In that case, you could modify your save file to cheat it into orbit and reduce fuel (or not) as you see fit.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

In that case, you could modify your save file to cheat it into orbit and reduce fuel (or not) as you see fit.

I was planning on making one or two more stops on the Mun but that might just have to do. Thanks.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Falken posted:

Thanks to the Ubio Welding Mod (.90 version on that page), I took 40 parts, and melded them into one! Result.

Well this is going to help me with my predilection for building stupid large physics engine raping constructions.

(544 parts docked into one)

I browsed the last few pages of its thread. Its worth noting for anyone planning to use this that is has a few cravats. Like don't weld multiples of crew hatches, symmetry placed lights/solar panels/animated objects.

Even with those constrictions the first thing I want to see is how much I can reduce the 150 something part count station pictured above by. I'm guessing under 50.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

shovelbum posted:

Has anyone had the MKS Fuel Refinery not actually produce LFO? Mine is eating water fine and giving me nothing.

Weird. Screenshot?

Also - to the person who asked about Karbonite and SCANSat - be sure to use 9.4+

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

nielsm posted:

CKAN has most things that matter.

It's missing a lot of key things. Astronomer's Pack, Environmental Visual Enhancements, Hot Rockets, KW Rocketry, Hooligan Airships, all my cockpits/interiors, just to name a few things I had to make note of to go find and keep manually updated.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

I'm having a mod related issue (I assume it's Mod related anyway) where any contract markers in both map view and on the navball show up as coloured squares rather than icons. Anyone else seen this happen and know how to fix it?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

Well this is going to help me with my predilection for building stupid large physics engine raping constructions.

I browsed the last few pages of its thread. Its worth noting for anyone planning to use this that is has a few cravats. Like don't weld multiples of crew hatches, symmetry placed lights/solar panels/animated objects.

Even with those constrictions the first thing I want to see is how much I can reduce the 150 something part count station pictured above by. I'm guessing under 50.
It's really handy for structural sections in particular. Increased rigidity and higher framerates? I'll take that.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Vetitum posted:

I'm having a mod related issue (I assume it's Mod related anyway) where any contract markers in both map view and on the navball show up as coloured squares rather than icons. Anyone else seen this happen and know how to fix it?

Did you run the DDS converter utility? If so, you need to Undds-ify the GameData/Squad/Contracts/Icons folder. If you want to DDS those icons anyway just look in the DDS converter's Mods Exceptions and do a custom DDS using the parameters from the Fine Print exceptions.

e: more specifically you want to run the folder as Normalmaps: Force not normal, Do not generate Mipmaps, and do not resize.

ellie the beep fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 5, 2015

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Edminster posted:

Did you run the DDS converter utility? If so, you need to Undds-ify the GameData/Squad/Contracts/Icons folder. If you want to DDS those icons anyway just look in the DDS converter's Mods Exceptions and do a custom DDS using the parameters from the Fine Print exceptions.

e: more specifically you want to run the folder as Normalmaps: Force not normal, Do not generate Mipmaps, and do not resize.

I did indeed run the DDS converter. This makes sense then, I'll run your fix when I get home. Thanks for the tip buddy!

Edit: also anyone else playing Career on Hard find the 30 piece limit on the Lvl 1 VAB quite difficult to navigate? I completed the explore Mun & Minmus contracts using an unmanned probe I softly landed on the surface. There seems almost no way to build a lander able to land & return with just 30 parts. Anyone managed this?

Vetitum fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 5, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
My resource panel got stuck in the middle of the screen after changing resolutions. Is there an easy fix to this?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I aborted a satellite launch a few thousand meters above KSC, and when it crashed into the ground it sent Mechjeb on a 480km parabolic arc at insane speeds

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
What's the idea behind the various landing legs in Roverdude's mods? I'm not sure if they're bugged or if I'm just using them wrong or misunderstanding their purpose. Not entirely sure which mods I got these from, but they're either labelled Umbra Space Industries or Karbonite, so I assume I got them from one of his mods.

"Radial Lander Leg", no manufacturer but has "Karbonite" written on the model: Massless and with crash tolerance listed as 9 m/s. They're quite huge for a massless part though, and practically indestructible. They (and most of the craft attached) survived a crash landing hard enough that the landing pad blew up. I'm guessing it's supposed to be quite heavy, but even so it is perhaps too good. It looks really cool though, so I want to use it even though it feels like cheating.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there's the LS-40 and LSX landing frames, which feel a bit useless. They look really cool, and the frames themselves are hard to destroy, but the few times I've used them I had bit of trouble with everything attached to the frame simply being sheared off if the landing wasn't perfect. They're also extremely heavy compared to other landing gear (1 ton for the regular version, 1,5 tons for the version with a 5k battery built in).

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Vetitum posted:

Edit: also anyone else playing Career on Hard find the 30 piece limit on the Lvl 1 VAB quite difficult to navigate? I completed the explore Mun & Minmus contracts using an unmanned probe I softly landed on the surface. There seems almost no way to build a lander able to land & return with just 30 parts. Anyone managed this?

It was only on normal, but this is what I just used. 5 big SRBs tuned down a bit and a Poodle to get to orbit, 3 lv-909s for a transfer and landing stage, then a return stage of another 909. It's pretty no-frills with one solar panel and no batteries, lights, or RCS, but it's got a materials bay and a pair of goo canisters and doesn't leave any orbiting debris. You could probably cut it down even further by ditching the landing legs. Note: I had to squirt in a little bit of fuel from the return tank to get a soft landing, so make sure you have resource transfer unlocked or maybe just pilot it a little more efficiently. This was all stock parts without FAR or its like.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Motherfucker docking is annoying. Is there any mod to add autodocking that doesn't require sticking a part on? I already have pieces of a space station in orbit and have been trying to dock two of them for an hour and I'm done with this, it's not fun.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Motherfucker docking is annoying. Is there any mod to add autodocking that doesn't require sticking a part on? I already have pieces of a space station in orbit and have been trying to dock two of them for an hour and I'm done with this, it's not fun.

It's not autodocking, but the Lazor Docking Cam is a fantastic tool that makes docking WAY easier. It gives you a clamp-o-tron's-eye view, with additional overlay elements to show your relative velocity, position and orientation. The camera is a feature of the docking ports and doesn't require any additional parts, so you should be able to use it on poo poo that's already in orbit.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

Fun fact. The space shuttle didn't have aviation lights. They just relied on ATC to tell planes to stay the hell away from it while it was landing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zero One posted:

Fun fact. The space shuttle didn't have aviation lights. They just relied on ATC to tell planes to stay the hell away from it while it was landing.

We need water traffic control to stop wayward boats from cruising around downrange of the launch site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a modulemanager config change that adds MechJeb to all command capsules, and I think probes as well.