Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

This is just exaggeration and needless worry. I would find it hard to believe that any company could realistically track where you go after you leave and even if they successfully did, could/would put in the resources to try to litigate an IT employee. Hell, the legal basis would be incredibly thin. The sky isn't falling people.

Yep

psydude posted:

My mom's workplace (she works in higher education) recently tried that with an employee who had been working there for over 30 years because one of the new VPs wanted their own executive assistant. She went straight for a lawyer and sued for wrongful termination and ageism, and because there was no documentation to support their firing her for "poor performance," she was reinstated and given an undisclosed settlement.

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

This is just exaggeration and needless worry. I would find it hard to believe that any company could realistically track where you go after you leave and even if they successfully did, could/would put in the resources to try to litigate an IT employee. Hell, the legal basis would be incredibly thin. The sky isn't falling people.

And unless the company is an IT services company, it may not even apply. Usually non-competes specifically call out competing in the company's core product or service. Just read it carefully and if you're unsure, consult a lawyer.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

They're really only exercised and enforced in situations where you're going to work for a direct competitor in a position that may allow you to poach the company's clients. And even then, these are usually covered by nonsolicitation and nondisclosure agreements that don't outright prohibit you from working for the competitor, and which also have a set time period in which they are enforceable (usually 1-2 years).

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
The worse non-compete I ever signed was something like, "You agree not to work on a product that directly competes with product A or B for 6 months"

Funny thing... I wasn't working on product A or B

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I agree to not compete with the subject of non-competes. A quick interlude.

Hey Stripe, what's the IP for this particular server?

What am I, DNS? Ping the son of a bitch.

192 dot 168 dot get out of my inbox dot kiss off.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Second straight Friday of basically doing nothing at work. Although I did manage to lock myself out of my security enclave account by being a big dummy and fat fingering it, so I guess that's something.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Be careful before signing non-competes. Companies use them to bring frivolous lawsuits all the time, and get away with it because most people don't have $40K to drop on a defense.

I know of one lovely company which has sued its employees after they quit to take a position in another, non-competing company. Some of those unfortunate souls still work there, essentially as wage slaves.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The non-compete is unenforceable for two main reasons:
1. "In IT in the US" is too broad a clause and interferes with constitutional 'life liberty and happiness' things. "In category (x)/industry (y)" is generally how they run, and usually with a geographic component too.
2. 1 year is too long and is also a restraint on quality of life. Generally 3-6 months is the max I've seen that's actually enforceable, though it does vary state by state (California as stated, basically ignores them).

Source: 8 years in the startup world, I've probably signed more non-competes and NDAs than I have rent cheques. And unlike many I actually read them.

Enforcement gets chancy too, because if it does go to court, and you can prove that a company inserted a deliberately infringing clause, they can be on hook for damages on a larger scale.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ynglaur posted:

Be careful before signing non-competes. Companies use them to bring frivolous lawsuits all the time, and get away with it because most people don't have $40K to drop on a defense.

I know of one lovely company which has sued its employees after they quit to take a position in another, non-competing company. Some of those unfortunate souls still work there, essentially as wage slaves.

I honestly do not believe this at all unless this is outside of the US.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Sickening posted:

I honestly do not believe this at all unless this is outside of the US.

I did not claim what they are doing is legal, only that it has occurred, and been effective at retaining their employees.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Look at how many people in this thread are carpets, Sickening. I fully believe that just the THREAT of such a thing would keep plenty of people from seeking new jobs because they are cowards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ynglaur posted:

I did not claim what they are doing is legal, only that it has occurred, and been effective at retaining their employees.

I guess you better name and shame then because this is the dumbest thing I have heard of in a little bit. The costs of opening cases on employees that leave you would be staggering. The burden of proof needed just to successfully litigate is already really high for cases that are legitimate, much less for frivolous claims. The scenario is so laughable I don't even see how it could be anything but fiction.

nitrogen posted:

Look at how many people in this thread are carpets, Sickening. I fully believe that just the THREAT of such a thing would keep plenty of people from seeking new jobs because they are cowards.

Of course, but being a doormat and having a company who actively sues people who leave the company is a pretty big difference in likelihood.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Sickening posted:

I guess you better name and shame then because this is the dumbest thing I have heard of in a little bit. The costs of opening cases on employees that leave you would be staggering. The burden of proof needed just to successfully litigate is already really high for cases that are legitimate, much less for frivolous claims. The scenario is so laughable I don't even see how it could be anything but fiction

Sickening posted:

I guess you better name and shame then because this is the dumbest thing I have heard of in a little bit. The costs of opening cases on employees that leave you would be staggering. The burden of proof needed just to successfully litigate is already really high for cases that are legitimate, much less for frivolous claims. The scenario is so laughable I don't even see how it could be anything but fiction.
In his defense I have heard of this happening in fields other than IT for quite some time. If a company already has corporate lawyers on the payroll litigate on right?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

No thanks. I don't feel like embroiling my employer or my family in a defamation lawsuit. The company in question is privately owned. I fully realize it makes little financial sense for them to sue their own employees. Guess what? People do illogical and illegal things all the time.

On topic, yes: this pisses me off. They have some good people we'd like to recruit, and who would enjoy working where I work while making more money. None of them are worth the hassle of a lawsuit, though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Scaramouche posted:

The non-compete is unenforceable for two main reasons:
1. "In IT in the US" is too broad a clause and interferes with constitutional 'life liberty and happiness' things. "In category (x)/industry (y)" is generally how they run, and usually with a geographic component too.
2. 1 year is too long and is also a restraint on quality of life. Generally 3-6 months is the max I've seen that's actually enforceable, though it does vary state by state (California as stated, basically ignores them).

Source: 8 years in the startup world, I've probably signed more non-competes and NDAs than I have rent cheques. And unlike many I actually read them.

Enforcement gets chancy too, because if it does go to court, and you can prove that a company inserted a deliberately infringing clause, they can be on hook for damages on a larger scale.

I work in a right to work state(Texas). Come at me bro. If you are stopping me from working then my state will have your balls in a sling.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

jaegerx posted:

I work in a right to work state(Texas). Come at me bro. If you are stopping me from working then my state will have your balls in a sling.

RTW has nothing to do with this and non-compete clauses are perfectly valid in Texas with certain considerations

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Texas at least has non-compete statutes on the books, and for a while they ruled the 'at will' provision means if the employer can terminate at will the employee is actually being punished by non-competes (since they are giving up a right in exchange for essentially nothing). This apparently changed in 2006:
http://www.robertslegalfirm.com/busnoncomp.html
(smarmy lawyer blog that mostly exists to cherry pick search terms for new business)

Unfortunately it appears that the definitions of 'overly broad' and 'reasonable' are being chipped away by precedent rulings in the intervening years since the Non Compete Convenant was enacted:
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/BC/htm/BC.15.htm#15.50

That said, as I implied earlier, if the employer is found to be 'egregiously overly broad' they can get punished hard core for damages ($750,000 in this case):
http://www.texasnoncompetelaw.com/2...ility-in-texas/
(smarmy lawyer blog that mostly exists to cherry pick search terms for new business)

You guys can probably find similar info by Googling non compete enforcement (state name).

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I'd like to see someone prove that non-competes are actually unconstitutional because the fear of changing jobs due to the threat of legal action over your choice of new jobs constitutes involuntary servitude. lovely wikiresearch.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'd like to see someone prove that non-competes are actually unconstitutional because the fear of changing jobs due to the threat of legal action over your choice of new jobs constitutes involuntary servitude. lovely wikiresearch.
Nah, I'm fairly certain that we could get a SCOTUS ruling that involuntary servitude is actually good.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

anthonypants posted:

Nah, I'm fairly certain that we could get a SCOTUS ruling that involuntary servitude is actually good.

It's not that it's good, but without it how are the JOB CREATORS going to have any incentive to hire more people (universal argument)???

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 3, 2015

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Che Delilas posted:

It's not that it's good, but without it how are the JOB CREATORS going to have any incentive to hire more people (universal argument)???

The economy totally isn't a human system for the benefit of humans, it's in fact a giant eldritch monster that demands we sacrifice people and treasure into its gaping maw.

We need everyone to be on salary below the cost of living, working 60 hours a week, and by God they should be grateful. Because that's capitalism and totally good.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
For us normies I don't think non-competes are much more than a weak deterrent. If you're like, head of product development for Google, there's a bit of an interest in keeping you from jumping ship directly to Microsoft, but who the gently caress cares if a help desk drone leaves Bumblefuck Systems Support, Inc and immediately goes to work for Chucklefuck Integrated Solutions, LLC? I got slapped with one once, from a Las Vegas-based company no less, where it's allegedly A Thing. Literally the email after I said my lawyer would be in touch they hosed right off with no problems.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Non-competes given to non-key employees are usually either pointless over-application of a policy or a deliberate attempt to intimidate employees into sticking around instead of leaving for more money and better working conditions, depending on where the company falls on the incompetent<->malicious scale. While odds are most companies won't actually try very hard to enforce one against a low-level employee, there are companies out there who take employee resignations personally and will do everything they can to punish an ex-employee's perceived disloyalty (especially if their departure inspires other employees to start leaving a lovely company as well).

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I recently had to go through this with my former company and got it diluted down to a 'no direct solicitation of our customers' for 12 months, which is fine as I'm not directly sales, just pre-sales. I also had it spelled out that they understood the nature of my new role would mean that I would indirectly encounter existing customers of the former employee, as I have no control over who the sales/business development teams at <new company> target.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

BurgerQuest posted:

I recently had to go through this with my former company and got it diluted down to a 'no direct solicitation of our customers' for 12 months, which is fine as I'm not directly sales, just pre-sales. I also had it spelled out that they understood the nature of my new role would mean that I would indirectly encounter existing customers of the former employee, as I have no control over who the sales/business development teams at <new company> target.

Isn't that a non solicitation agreement? Those are very common in sales type positions.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes, that's what it ended up being, which is acceptable. The wording before requesting some changes was a far more broader non-compete, which wasn't feasible moving to a competitor and all.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

dennyk posted:

Non-competes given to non-key employees are usually either pointless over-application of a policy or a deliberate attempt to intimidate employees into sticking around instead of leaving for more money and better working conditions, depending on where the company falls on the incompetent<->malicious scale.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone with inhouse litigation staff did the math on this and figured 40 hours of lawyer time during a slow month could save them X in salary over Y months, and set up a series of increasingly hostile agreements they forced on their now increasingly indentured workers. Sue the poo poo out of one employee on a barely enforceable clause in one of the many contracts you forced them to sign, then spread the word via bland yet threatening memo-all emails to the peons.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Yeah, that's why performance reviews etc. should be documented and signed. "What do you mean I'm fired for poor performance; just two months ago I got a raise and the review says I've gone above and beyond what's expected. Lookit this document you signed then. I'll be calling my attorney, see you in court."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Yeah, that's why performance reviews etc. should be documented and signed. "What do you mean I'm fired for poor performance; just two months ago I got a raise and the review says I've gone above and beyond what's expected. Lookit this document you signed then. I'll be calling my attorney, see you in court."
Yeah, that's why lovely workplaces don't bother with performance reviews at all. My last job said they didn't even believe in job descriptions.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
So I stumbled over this earlier:

Glad to see McAfee have finally fixed the most complained-about aspect of their product :v:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

poo poo pissing me off: people who hang out in the break room too much and strike up a conversation with anyone who comes in. Look guy, I'm just trying to fill up my water cup. I don't loving care about how much less you walk each day now that you no longer work at the DC office.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Well, on the last day of the year they made us all salary. There is some sort of a raise coming, but it's not going to be same as getting time and a half. Supposedly some folks had more OT than regular hours, but to me that just means they have a staffing problem. This is going to play out very interestingly, given that they still want 24x7 shifts and on call and such. The sucky thing is that leaving may be difficult due to how daycare and healthcare are working out.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Always negotiate. Don't be afraid to reject their first offer. Especially if it's less than you made last year.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Gounads posted:

Always negotiate. Don't be afraid to reject their first offer. Especially if it's less than you made last year.

Yeah this is going to be important. I am in a pretty good position, but my fall back position is not good. The bigger picture is quality of life though. Before, if I have to work late, or miss an appointment, it was because something was screwed up big time, and there was OT as compensation. If being salary means that I am tied to a cell phone and they can call me whenever, and I can't make commitments for anything going forward, that will be a bigger problem.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

rolleyes posted:

So I stumbled over this earlier:

Glad to see McAfee have finally fixed the most complained-about aspect of their product :v:

The best part is that there are the other options. Implying that if you don't specifically selection "frustration-free," you will be getting the edition that instead includes frustration.

Marketing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's frustration-free packaging. It's just something Amazon does and it means no sealed plastic clamshells or what have you.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Inspector_666 posted:

It's frustration-free packaging. It's just something Amazon does and it means no sealed plastic clamshells or what have you.

And it's quite amazing. I hate those plastic clamshells.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, okay, I read "package." That makes more sense and restores my equilibrium; a universe where McAfee isn't a frustrating piece of poo poo would just be weird.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ConfusedUs posted:

And it's quite amazing. I hate those plastic clamshells.

Clamshells are fine when they're not welded shut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
For christmas one year I received special clamshell scissors. Packaged in a clamshell.