Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I've done ales that were 80% Pilsner, 20% carapils, lightly hopped and fermented with Brett on cardamom and blackberries.

Delicious. I think I sent one to ieatsoap in the 2013 secret Santa.

Yep, and it was delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

WilWheaton posted:

52? Yeah you're stuck in lager territory there. You could make a nice dunkel. Bohemian lager yeast has been kindest to me so far with my cold-but-not-controlled temperatures (2124) but you'll need some kind of diacetyl rest at a warmer spot.

I thought a lager needed a colder stage after the diacetyl rest? Or is that not really necessary?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just finished up brewing the chai spiced winter wheat that I posted about a couple days ago. I decided I'm going to go the make tea and add it to the keg route so I can test the strength. I'll make a cup of it and toss some in the keg first and then taste after racking to decide if it needs more. Really happy with how things came out. I hit my efficiency dead on and got my 1.077 OG that I was shooting for which if my yeast starter does it job should knock it down to about 1.022 and give me 7.4% ABV. I picked up my tea the other day for it too. I bought both a white chai and a rooibos chai and I'm debating which one to go with. The white tea should have low tannins and the rooiboss should have none. I'm sort of leaning toward the rooiboss because of that.

Edit: Man am I glad I started with a blowoff valve, this thing is taking off like a rocket.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 3, 2015

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

WilWheaton posted:

52? Yeah you're stuck in lager territory there. You could make a nice dunkel. Bohemian lager yeast has been kindest to me so far with my cold-but-not-controlled temperatures (2124) but you'll need some kind of diacetyl rest at a warmer spot.

This is around the temp I'm fermenting my milk stout at US05 yeast. Should I bring it to a warmer part for the second half of fermentation for a week or so?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

toe knee hand posted:

It's gotten cold and my basement is a relatively constant 52 degrees. I don't have a fermentation chamber. I've been doing ales but I think that's a bit low for ales and yet it's too high for lagers (or at least for the conditioning phase of lagers?). What should I brew? What yeast would be happiest?

You should probably just drop $30 on a FermWrap heater for your fermenter. Or you could just do a ghetto version of the same with a heating pad and some blankets. Bump up the fermentation temp to 60 and you could use a Kolsch yeast.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

more falafel please posted:

Pilsner malt will be very light with a slight breadiness. It's very pleasant. Ales I've done that were mostly pilsner malt include Saisons, Belgian Golden Strong, and Hefeweizen (50/50 pils and wheat).

I did a wort kit for dad recently that was 100% Dingemans belgian pils, 15 IBU of late Saaz and that was it. Sent him on his way with some Danstar Belle Saison and it came out quite well. Basically a saison/patersbier at around 4% ABV

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Went to pitch my Kolsch today and instincts tell me straight away it is probably goin to be infected :( I use barrel type fermenters (copper tun) with cling film over them and the rubber seal from the lid as a rubber band essentially, anyway went to pitch it today and didn't notice there was water on top of the wrap, as my ferm fridge has a freezer with some holes drilled between for air flow, so some of the water that had previously been ice fell into the beer. I pitched anyway, the starter was super healthy so I guess I'll just wait and see. Worst case, the worms in the back yard get some malt vinegar, slightly less worse case I turn out something awesome, best case, no infection, I produce an awesome Summer saaz kolsch

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Harminoff posted:

Well poo poo. Guess I'll not use a starter and just hope for the best then :( I also have some dry windsor yeast. How hosed up would it be to just throw that in as well? Making a milk stout.
Windsor doesn't floc for poo poo so if you're going to use it somewhere, a stout would be the place :D

Not that I would mix strains like that.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

McSpergin posted:

Went to pitch my Kolsch today and instincts tell me straight away it is probably goin to be infected :( I use barrel type fermenters (copper tun) with cling film over them and the rubber seal from the lid as a rubber band essentially, anyway went to pitch it today and didn't notice there was water on top of the wrap, as my ferm fridge has a freezer with some holes drilled between for air flow, so some of the water that had previously been ice fell into the beer. I pitched anyway, the starter was super healthy so I guess I'll just wait and see. Worst case, the worms in the back yard get some malt vinegar, slightly less worse case I turn out something awesome, best case, no infection, I produce an awesome Summer saaz kolsch

Thats awesome

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Jacobey000 posted:

This is 100% true for me too. I've brewed complex sours, oak aged quads, all kinds of crazy/boss stuff and most people were all up on the Kolsch.

Great news, as I am planning on buying a sack of Maris Otter and German Pils and making very simple recipes for the entire year to see how they go.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

ScaerCroe posted:

Great news, as I am planning on buying a sack of Maris Otter and German Pils and making very simple recipes for the entire year to see how they go.

Where are getting them from?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Fluo posted:

Secret Santa turned up!

2liter / 68fl oz growler :eyepop:

Bells bottle opener, and that vinyl sticker made me lol hard. Think I might put it on my 60liter fermenter (on the outside of course). Thanks! :beerpal:

Yours should be there before February. Will send half from Canada to save on the weight of the ingredients and some some :britain: stuff direct from goon to goon, got most the stuff sorted out already!

Lmao, turns out this was from a different secret santa I was doing. So my homebrew one is yet to come.

And almost got my stuff together to send out but it's all cool homebrew secret santa is more :chill: about dates (atleast the last few years). :)

After such a large amount of yeast pitched OG stopped at 1.016 from 1.086, its got a slight sweetness but not sickly sweet. I think I shall save the yeast and rebrew it with the second generation to try and see. Dry hopped each day for 7 days, first 3 days were C hop blend, last 4 days was German Hull Melon. :)

Fluo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 3, 2015

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Does anyone have any experience with those Perlick flow restricting faucets? They're expensive, but my kegerator only has two taps so I wouldn't have to buy more than two, and I really like the idea of being able to fill growlers without having to dig way in the back and loving with my serving pressure. I was going to upgrade to Perlicks anyway, so I thought I'd listen to people's thoughts on those.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

crazyfish posted:

Does anyone have any experience with those Perlick flow restricting faucets? They're expensive, but my kegerator only has two taps so I wouldn't have to buy more than two, and I really like the idea of being able to fill growlers without having to dig way in the back and loving with my serving pressure. I was going to upgrade to Perlicks anyway, so I thought I'd listen to people's thoughts on those.

I've only used them in bars, ie on a commercial setup but I wouldn't have it any other way if I could help it, if you are changing kegs a lot or, like you envision, need flow control for other reasons.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Kaiho posted:

I've only used them in bars, ie on a commercial setup but I wouldn't have it any other way if I could help it, if you are changing kegs a lot or, like you envision, need flow control for other reasons.

They're also good if you want to mess with your Carb Levels on various beers without having to re-balance your lines for every new beer.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

jadeddrifter posted:

Where are getting them from?

My LHBS

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
I hope no one else had thirsty hop plants over the new year break!

:smith:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seems like you could have rigged up some kind of trickle-waterer from the disused heavy bag.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
I was thinking about leaving it in a couple of cm of water, but that would have been a better idea. Fortunately after a couple of hours watering the leaves on one of the runners softened up

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
So, for my local secret santa, one of my friends got me an ounce each of northern brewer/east kent goldings/cascade hops, and a pound of crystal 40l, among other things.

I was thinking about getting another couple of ounces of cascade and some kind of base malt to make a smash. Do people ever use marris otter for pale ales? That's pretty much all I ever brew with, but I don't know how that would work with a hoppier/less malty style.

I suppose I could make a brown ale or ESB using the other stuff...

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I really like Marris Otter in all sorts of pales and hoppy beers.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

ChickenArise posted:

I really like Marris Otter in all sorts of pales and hoppy beers.

Cool, I guess I'll do that then.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I'm thinking of doing a Vienna/Nelson SMaSH for my next brew. Any thoughts?

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Pitch saison yeast? v0v

ScaerCroe posted:

That is a pretty neat idea actually. Sadly, I brew so many hay-colored beers as it stands no one would notice. Also: I don't know how often you brew, but I buy in bulk to and I FLY through it - much faster than I had thought I would. Just as a fair warning.

McSpergin posted:

I know you've got your setup how you like it, but for the love of all things holy, just stick a god drat lid on those things. iirc this plastic wrap buisness is WAY more complicatned/exploits possible infections points than it's worth. 2015 beer resolution for you: buy some gamma lids or 'air tight' lids.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

All-vienna is fantastic for lots of styles (with northern brewer and wyeast 2112 is my latest favorite) , and the nelson part depends on how you feel about it. It can be overpowering when used alone so I'd go a bit light on the first trial of a recipe unless you know you're into it. The only other tip I have is use German malt, Avangard and Best Malz vienna (haven't used Weyermann but I assume it's similar) are miles ahead of something like Briess.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I did a vienna/northern brewer smash and it turned out awful. For some reason it tastes smokey like a rauchbier, which I wasn't expecting. Thankfully my wife could stomach it, I couldn't stand the stuff. I'm done with vienna malt unless I find out the recipe was poo poo or that northern brewer sent me something other than vienna malt.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

toe knee hand posted:

I thought a lager needed a colder stage after the diacetyl rest? Or is that not really necessary?

Yes, put it back downstairs once that's done for a couple of days, get it even colder if you can though.

Marshmellow Blue posted:

This is around the temp I'm fermenting my milk stout at US05 yeast. Should I bring it to a warmer part for the second half of fermentation for a week or so?

I've never tried fermenting s-05 that cold but I'm told it gets a peachy flavour when stressed in the lower range. I wouldn't see the harm in bringing it warmer for a tiny bit after primary fermentation is done but I'm not really an expert. Never hurts to cold crash after though.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Jacobey000 posted:

just stick a god drat lid on those things. iirc this plastic wrap buisness is WAY more complicatned/exploits possible infections points than it's worth.

For what it's worth I haven't had one infection since the switch from lids with airlocks over to cling film, on the recommendation of several Brewers club members. Mainly it comes down to not being able to readily find bucket type fermenters locally, and the ones with airlocks having handles on the lid that when pulled on, create negative pressure in the fermenter and suck the contents of the airlock in. I've had more infections with lids than without :shrug:

mind you it's also rare that that fridge runs cold enough for the freezer to be actually freezing, and I always spray the entire inside with Starsan prior to anything going in. Here is hoping it turns out I guess, if not shame on me for not noticing the water

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

WilWheaton posted:

I've never tried fermenting s-05 that cold but I'm told it gets a peachy flavour when stressed in the lower range. I wouldn't see the harm in bringing it warmer for a tiny bit after primary fermentation is done but I'm not really an expert. Never hurts to cold crash after though.

Well I'm actually moving, and my new place includes heat so I can keep my beer at a balmy 65 all winter! So that takes care of that. It's a Oatmeal milk stout (buffalo sweat kit) that's the color of spent motor oil, so a cold crash won't do me too good as far as clarity is concerned.

Also for all y'all sour brewers. ECY BugCounty is in stock http://www.love2brew.com/ECY-BugCounty-ECY20-p/lyec20.htm . I already ordered me a vial.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Jacobey000 posted:

That is a pretty neat idea actually. Sadly, I brew so many hay-colored beers as it stands no one would notice. Also: I don't know how often you brew, but I buy in bulk to and I FLY through it - much faster than I had thought I would. Just as a fair warning.

Ya, I figured I would probably need a re-up or two a year. I was also planning on mainly doing session ales, so ~10# base grain per batch, with ~100# in two sacks, which leads to 10 batches of beer.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Ok, I'm hopefully approaching order day for 3 batches of beer. These are my recipes, Thoughts?

Dr. Rye - Rye Pale Ale - Target OG: 1.057 Target FG: 1.011 6% ABV --5 Gallons
10 Lbs Pale Ale Malt
1lb Flaked Rye
1lb Rye Malt
1lb C60
Hops
1oz Magnum @60
2oz cascade @1
1oz Centennial @1
US-05

Clearwater Blonde Ale - Target OG: 1.044 Target FG: 1.009 4.3 - 4.6% ABV --5 Gallons
8 Lbs Pilsner Malt
1 Lb Carapils
1lb C20
Hops
.5oz Willamette @80
1oz Sterling @12
.5oz Willamette @3
1oz Amarillo @3
US-05

Deep Winter Sour - Target OG: 1.050 Target FG: 1.007 or Lower 5.5 - 6% ABV --3 Gallons Not 5
5Lbs Red Wheat Malt
1Lb C120
.5lb Maltodextrin
ECY 20 Bug County Playing with the idea of No boil (just a 180 degree pasteurization) Thoughts on this?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Ok, I'm hopefully approaching order day for 3 batches of beer. These are my recipes, Thoughts?

Dr. Rye - Rye Pale Ale - Target OG: 1.057 Target FG: 1.011 6% ABV --5 Gallons
10 Lbs Pale Ale Malt
1lb Flaked Rye
1lb Rye Malt
1lb C60
Hops
1oz Magnum @60
2oz cascade @1
1oz Centennial @1
US-05

Lighten or reduce the crystal. C60 is pretty dark.

quote:

Clearwater Blonde Ale - Target OG: 1.044 Target FG: 1.009 4.3 - 4.6% ABV --5 Gallons
8 Lbs Pilsner Malt
1 Lb Carapils
1lb C20
Hops
.5oz Willamette @80
1oz Sterling @12
.5oz Willamette @3
1oz Amarillo @3
US-05

Once again, that's probably too much crystal/carapils.

quote:

Deep Winter Sour - Target OG: 1.050 Target FG: 1.007 or Lower 5.5 - 6% ABV --3 Gallons Not 5
5Lbs Red Wheat Malt
1Lb C120
.5lb Maltodextrin
ECY 20 Bug County Playing with the idea of No boil (just a 180 degree pasteurization) Thoughts on this?

No hops at all? Maybe throw some super low AA Hallertau or other noble hops in the mash?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

crazyfish posted:

Lighten or reduce the crystal. C60 is pretty dark.

Once again, that's probably too much crystal/carapils.

No hops at all? Maybe throw some super low AA Hallertau or other noble hops in the mash?

OK, I turned down the SRM on the crystal malts to 10L (from 20) for the blonde ale and 15L (from 60) for the Pale Ale. I did however keep them at a pound as I've always used a pound and always like the results (maybe I have a sweet tooth or something, or It's just what I expect my beers to be? And I'm the only one who drinks them for the most part. My brother in Law will have a bottle or two and my father in law I think is weirded out by it not coming form a store and has yet to try a beer I've made.) I did some reading on carapils and turned that down to half a pound.

I was toying back and forth with a touch (.5oz) of Willamette on the sour, so that's back in for the mash and mashout.
Thanks for the tips, I think these recipes are pretty solid now.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Marshmallow Blue posted:

5Lbs Red Wheat Malt
1Lb C120
.5lb Maltodextrin

Why wouldn't you boil this beer? Also get like 10-15 IBUs of hops in there or it'll taste weird.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Josh Wow posted:

Why wouldn't you boil this beer? Also get like 10-15 IBUs of hops in there or it'll taste weird.

It kind of stemmed off of the no hops thing, but with adding hops back in, I might as well boil.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Actually, another thing I noticed: Does red wheat malt have much diastatic power? If not, you'll probably need some 6-row or pils in there to help convert, otherwise your efficiency is going to be dogshit. And a pound of C120 is a *lot* for a 3 gallon beer.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

crazyfish posted:

Actually, another thing I noticed: Does red wheat malt have much diastatic power? If not, you'll probably need some 6-row or pils in there to help convert, otherwise your efficiency is going to be dogshit. And a pound of C120 is a *lot* for a 3 gallon beer.

I switched it to white wheat malt which has 180 DP, so that shouldn't be an issue if it was before. Yeah, I don't know what it is with me a crystal malt but I don't find using 13-15% unpleasant at all.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

Josh Wow posted:

Out of curiosity, what happens of you don't add any hops at all and ferment normally? Is it just super sweet?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

ieatsoap6 posted:

Out of curiosity, what happens of you don't add any hops at all and ferment normally? Is it just super sweet?

I think for a normal beer it would certainly be too sweet. When my meads finish at 1.010, It's what I would myself categorize as medium to sweet (others make their sweet meads to like 1.020-1,030 which to me is way too sweet).
but I was toying with the idea as it should end up dry with the Bug County (which has 4 brett strains + lacto and pedio strains). I don't normally taste any hops in sour beers I've had, which is why I wasn't really going to add hops. All the recipes say add .25oz of hops for 60 minutes or whatever, but what is that really getting me in the final product?

Also Der Penguingoat did you try any of those meads yet? I'm curious to know what you think!

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

ieatsoap6 posted:

Probably depends on the recipe. Also it would likely spoil faster since there would be nothing to help keep lactic acid bacteria in check.