Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Just got back from passing my 70-680! Wasn't sure when I clicked Finish, I got hammered on a bunch of BranchCache configuration questions when my knowledge of that was basically limited to the fact that it exists and what it does. Time to review that and then onto the next... thinking Security+.

Congrats!

Though I looked at the exam objectives and they seem pretty... basic.

"Candidates for this exam operate in computing environments that use Microsoft Windows 7 as a desktop operating system in an enterprise environment. Candidates should have at least one year of experience in the IT field, as well as experience implementing and administering any Windows client operating system in a networked environment."

I feel like if you have one year of experience in desktop you probably can do 75% of this exam already. I don't know, maybe it's more in depth than the objective let on.

Security+ is good. Just read the Gibson and use CBTnugget's free trial. I have an exam coupon from a review site if you want it. I wish they sent it to me before I registered for the drat test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

Congrats!

Though I looked at the exam objectives and they seem pretty... basic.

"Candidates for this exam operate in computing environments that use Microsoft Windows 7 as a desktop operating system in an enterprise environment. Candidates should have at least one year of experience in the IT field, as well as experience implementing and administering any Windows client operating system in a networked environment."

I feel like if you have one year of experience in desktop you probably can do 75% of this exam already. I don't know, maybe it's more in depth than the objective let on.

Security+ is good. Just read the Gibson and use CBTnugget's free trial. I have an exam coupon from a review site if you want it. I wish they sent it to me before I registered for the drat test.
It's not so much in-depth (well, it is) as it is very particular. They want you to know off the top of your head command line options for imagex, dism, winrs, diskpart, etc. Nothing that someone taking the test shouldn't be familiar with, but I know I usually do a 5 second Google or dism /? and make sure I've got the syntax right if it's something I don't run every day, generally speaking.

But then they'll also ask you something like, "After preparing a machine to serve as a reference image, what utility should you use to remove system-specific data prior to capturing it as an image?"

So overall, yeah, not too bad.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Security+ Should be pretty easy for someone who is generally into computers, especially if you have a little knowledge of what kinds of threats are out there. You do need to read through a study guide because there might be vocabulary that you aren't aware of.
Personally, I think Phishing is a great word to describe any attack where the attacker is attempting to fraudulently obtain sensitive information but there's all sorts of cutesy terms like "vishing" and "Smishing"
On the test if they ask you what it's called when someone sends you an SMS message asking for sensitive information, "Phishing" is incorrect.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Security+ Should be pretty easy for someone who is generally into computers, especially if you have a little knowledge of what kinds of threats are out there. You do need to read through a study guide because there might be vocabulary that you aren't aware of.
Personally, I think Phishing is a great word to describe any attack where the attacker is attempting to fraudulently obtain sensitive information but there's all sorts of cutesy terms like "vishing" and "Smishing"
On the test if they ask you what it's called when someone sends you an SMS message asking for sensitive information, "Phishing" is incorrect.

I'm really looking forward to starting on it, honestly. I'd have bought the book already if work wasn't going to foot the bill for me when I ask for it Monday.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
On the topic of Sec+ how in depth are the questions about different types of encryption? Is it just knowing the difference between symmetric and asymmetric or should I be trying to learn and memorize info about each individual system/algorithm?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

On the topic of Sec+ how in depth are the questions about different types of encryption? Is it just knowing the difference between symmetric and asymmetric or should I be trying to learn and memorize info about each individual system/algorithm?

There's about a dozen on the exam that's expiring today (301), though it's not like they make new ones frequently.

I would go ahead and memorize the types of encryption, how they're used, and the core concepts like (a)symmetric encryption, PKI etc.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

skooma512 posted:

There's about a dozen on the exam that's expiring today (301), though it's not like they make new ones frequently.

I would go ahead and memorize the types of encryption, how they're used, and the core concepts like (a)symmetric encryption, PKI etc.
Well I'm studying for the 401, but the guys in LabSim go way out on a limb compared to the Sybex book.

Dumb question, do you mean there are a dozen questions about encryption or a dozen encryption methods on the exam?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

Well I'm studying for the 401, but the guys in LabSim go way out on a limb compared to the Sybex book.

Dumb question, do you mean there are a dozen questions about encryption or a dozen encryption methods on the exam?

Encryption methods, at least in the 301 book. RC4, PGP, SSL, AES, DES, 3DES blah blah blah.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Encryption methods, at least in the 301 book. RC4, PGP, SSL, AES, DES, 3DES blah blah blah.

Ah crap, time to buckle down then.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

Ah crap, time to buckle down then.

It's nothing to worry about. Its not very in depth at all. Read the book and you'll do fine.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone have some insight or advice on getting started in Project Management, and the PMP cert? I'm a registered nurse, currently in a EMR support position but I'm intrigued about project management and the PMP certification.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone here get their MCSA in Win 7? I'm debating studying for the 70-685.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like it'd be much of a jump to go from passing the 70-680 to studying for the 70-685.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

I've got a Win 7 MCSA. If anything, I found the 70-685 considerably easier - I passed the 70-680 by the skin of my teeth, and it took me 3 times. 70-685 I killed on my first try with like 93%.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Other way round for me, really easy pass of the 70-680, 70-685 took 3 tries. Worth pointing out that my company is way too small to use a lot of the enterprise features though, so less in-office experience.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I'll see how I feel - I put in an order for the Darril Gibson book and I hope to take the exam pretty soon. It'd feel pretty nice to be an MCSA, even if it is just for an OS that's in the tail-end of its life.

Based on what I've seen so far in the way of study materials, it seems like stuff I encounter on a regular basis, as opposed to the 70-680 which was mostly just academic for what I do now. So hopefully I'll feel confident going in with just a quick once-over of the book.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Net+ done with. Probably CCNA next. More certs for the cert god and all that.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

GUESS WHATS BACK

https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/archive/2015/01/05/get-a-free-second-shot-on-mcp-exams-through-may-31

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sweet, I'm taking at least one during that timeframe.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

PneumonicBook posted:

Net+ done with. Probably CCNA next. More certs for the cert god and all that.

If you can get subnetting down pat, ICND 1 isn't that much tougher than Network+. ICND 2 has more of the routing and WAN parts of the CCNA.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

penga86 posted:

If you can get subnetting down pat, ICND 1 isn't that much tougher than Network+. ICND 2 has more of the routing and WAN parts of the CCNA.

For real? Fantastic! Hopefully I can jet through ICND1 then.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I'm finally looking to get off my rear end and get some certs so I can move into a larger corporate environment.

I recently passed my 074-409 thanks to the free exam voucher they were giving out last year and I was pleasantly surprised when I found out it can be substituted for my 70-412 exam when attempting to get your MCSA. So now I'm buckling down to get my 70-410/411 to get the first round of exams out on my treck to MCSE.

My question is, are there any recommended free resources out there to study for the 410/411? I'm trying to convince the powers that be to get a corporate CBT Nuggets login but they are hesitant. I think they suspect I'll get certs then leave (which isn't far from the truth).

dox
Mar 4, 2006

m.hache posted:

So I'm finally looking to get off my rear end and get some certs so I can move into a larger corporate environment.

I recently passed my 074-409 thanks to the free exam voucher they were giving out last year and I was pleasantly surprised when I found out it can be substituted for my 70-412 exam when attempting to get your MCSA. So now I'm buckling down to get my 70-410/411 to get the first round of exams out on my treck to MCSE.

My question is, are there any recommended free resources out there to study for the 410/411? I'm trying to convince the powers that be to get a corporate CBT Nuggets login but they are hesitant. I think they suspect I'll get certs then leave (which isn't far from the truth).

I used CBT Nuggets and the Exam Ref for the 70-410 and passed on my second attempt (failed the first by one question). I recommend those two and labbing out the different technologies. I'm not sure what else is really available other than that. There are a lot of virtual labs that Microsoft provides that may help.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

dox posted:

I used CBT Nuggets and the Exam Ref for the 70-410 and passed on my second attempt (failed the first by one question). I recommend those two and labbing out the different technologies. I'm not sure what else is really available other than that. There are a lot of virtual labs that Microsoft provides that may help.

Well I've rolled out a whole new environment for the SMB I'm at so I already have some hands on experience with this stuff. I want the fancy piece of paper that says I know how to do it.

Gonna keep pestering them for CBT.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is network+ pointless if I plan on getting a ccna?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bigass Moth posted:

Somewhat. Others would just give you a flat "yes."

No employer is going to say, "Oh, this candidate has his CCNA, but this one has his CCNA and his Network+!"

Prefacing this by saying that I'm speaking as someone who has a Network+ but not CCNA - Network+ can be a pretty good lead-up to ICND1. That is, a lot of what you learn while studying for Network+ will be a good stepping stone to ICND1, which leads to ICND2... once I had the Network+ stuff down, I figured I might as well get certified for it, so I did. If you have the spare cash to spend, or if work pays for certs, go for it. The time you spend studying for Network+ won't be a total waste that only helps you get your Network+.

But if you feel like you can get your CCNA in relatively short order, I wouldn't spend the money unless you have some other reason to be Network+ (work asking for it, getting over an HR wall somewhere, etc).

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 6, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Dammit, the 2012 MCSE is just a Hyper-V-centric thing. This Second Shot part makes me think I should at least upgrade my MCSA to it, even if it's irrelevant to me wanting to focus on VMware.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Bigass Moth posted:

I only got it because it's part of my degree plan. Most people will tell you yes, except for my crazy friend who thinks a CCNA is easier and a lower level cert than NET+, which is absolutely false.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

PneumonicBook posted:

I only got it because it's part of my degree plan. Most people will tell you yes, except for my crazy friend who thinks a CCNA is easier and a lower level cert than NET+, which is absolutely false.

Don't let crazy people influence your career

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Parlett316 posted:

Don't let crazy people influence your career

No no no you see net+ is vendor neutral therefore

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Network+ is usually something that employers make their helpdesk and desktop support people get so they can improve their personnel metrics. CCNA will actually set you on the path to become a network administrator or engineer.

Don't waste your time with Network+ unless it's being paid for (entirely, including study materials), or you're being required to by your retarded boss. Get your Security+ and CCENT instead.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
I'm currently working a dead-end help desk job. I only realized it a few days ago, but now I know I need to get certs to get out of here. I'm 22 without a college education and have no desire to spend money on a degree at this point.

My last gig was also help desk, but they got me started with PowerShell scripting and I absolutely loved it. I moved to a much smaller company and I'm on the phone more here so I don't have time to script. I figure because I like PowerShell so much I should move in a sys admin direction, but I have no idea how. I was going to do Sec+ first, but this Microsoft second shot deal seems really good. Should I study for an MCSA in Server 2012 or 2008? My end goal is to get in a sysadmin position so whatever will move me further down that path is what I want.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

unclenutzzy posted:

I'm currently working a dead-end help desk job. I only realized it a few days ago, but now I know I need to get certs to get out of here. I'm 22 without a college education and have no desire to spend money on a degree at this point.

My last gig was also help desk, but they got me started with PowerShell scripting and I absolutely loved it. I moved to a much smaller company and I'm on the phone more here so I don't have time to script. I figure because I like PowerShell so much I should move in a sys admin direction, but I have no idea how. I was going to do Sec+ first, but this Microsoft second shot deal seems really good. Should I study for an MCSA in Server 2012 or 2008? My end goal is to get in a sysadmin position so whatever will move me further down that path is what I want.

You'll probably want to start with your MCSA for 2012 R2.

I don't even think you can get certified for older versions anymore.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

m.hache posted:

You'll probably want to start with your MCSA for 2012 R2.

I don't even think you can get certified for older versions anymore.

You can get your 2k8 cert, just not your 2k8. I would very definitely recommend going the 2k8 route first and foremost, then upgrading to 2012 down the road for a few reasons:

1) 2k8 is the new standard among larger organizations that would much rather wait for a product to be very mature before making it standard
2) 2k12's UI is so completely freaking different and so heavily reliant on Powershell, that you're better served by knowing where to get stuff in a semi-normal Windows interface
3) 2k8 introduced a fuckton of new features in its own right that are tested heavily on the exam and it's better to not have to deal with them in the 2k12 context along with its own new features
4) The 2k8 exam is three tests, the 2k12 upgrade exam is just one - you'd be a far better candidate with two MCSAs on your resume
5) There's no downgrade exam from 2k12 to 2k8

With Second Shot vouchers in play it's a great time to get started.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It should be noted you should be learning powershell though. But the 2k8 tests are mature and is recommended path, even if you'll have to study depreciated technologies.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

It should be noted you should be learning powershell though. But the 2k8 tests are mature and is recommended path, even if you'll have to study depreciated technologies.

2k8 isn't depreciated. It's still in active support and use. Vendors can and do still say that they only support running on 2k8, and 2k12 isn't yet recommended/supported for whatever lovely application they're using.

If nothing else, OP's going to have to take in a huge amount of material specific to and useful only for the MCSA certs, and it's best to keep things familiar as much as possible IMO. Throwing 2012 into the fray introduces a lot of very different and new concepts.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I said technologies. NAP is a big component of the testing that was depreciated in 2012 R2.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

MJP posted:

2k8 isn't depreciated. It's still in active support and use. Vendors can and do still say that they only support running on 2k8, and 2k12 isn't yet recommended/supported for whatever lovely application they're using.

If nothing else, OP's going to have to take in a huge amount of material specific to and useful only for the MCSA certs, and it's best to keep things familiar as much as possible IMO. Throwing 2012 into the fray introduces a lot of very different and new concepts.

We're starting to see vendors drop windows server 2008 support for various line of business apps we support. I don't really see a compelling reason for someone starting out to cert on those, 2012R2 makes a lot more sense.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

2008 R2 is supported till 2020 or some such it's still a valid platform to learn.

2008 though, yeah forget it.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
I just passed ICND1 (100-101) using the Lammle book and CBT Nuggets.

The test itself wasn't that hard and I probably over prepared for it. I was expecting something a little more difficult. I did the crappiest in the security sections because I encountered a few simlets that were asking questions that weren't covered in the book or nuggets.

I didn't encounter a single IPv6 question either which I thought was strange. There were a ton of subnetting questions, and a bunch of other random trouble shoot this connectivity scenario questions/simlets. I'll knock the second part out in a month or so.

Frag Viper fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Hey I noticed the PMP question people are not getting answered in this thread so I thought I'd chime in. I'm a Program Manager who does a lot of Project Management - I usually manage three to five projects while holding a program portfolio. If you think becoming a project manager will save you from after-hours work you are sorely mistaken. Especially if you have a global team. A typical PM's day if they are doing more then one project is several days worth of back to back meetings with stakeholders at various levels, calls and text messages to executives. Also there are very late night (think 1AM) and early morning calls to testers in other countries, overseas outsourced programmers, etc. It's not an easy job at all.

As for book recommendations, here is my company's recommended reading list for project managers, we employ several hundred:

Project Management
• Brooks, Frederick P. The Mythical Man-Month. 1979
• Project Management Institute. A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge.
• CCTA/OGC; A Guide to Programme Management
•Mike Watson; Managing Smaller Projects, Project Manager Today Publications
•Mike Watson: Projects Kept Simple, Management Books 2000
• J Rodney Turner; The Commercial Project Manager, McGraw-Hill Books
• J Rodney Turner; The Handbook of Project-Based Management, McGraw-Hill Books

Programme and Portfolio Management
• Managing successful programmes by Rod Sowden and Cabinet Office (30 Aug 2011)
• Portfolio and Programme Management Demystified: Managing Multiple Projects Successfully by Geoff Reiss and Paul Rayner (26 Oct 2012)
• Portfolio, programme and project offices (P30) by OGC - Office of Government Commerce (1 Oct 2008)
• Business benefits through programme and project management by OGC - Office of Government Commerce (23 Feb 2006)

General Management books
• Crosby, Philip B. Quality is Free. 1979.
• Ken Blanchard and Spencer Johnson; The One Minute Manager. Published by Morrow of New York in 1982.
• Fisher, Patton and Ury; Getting to Yes; Negotiating Agreement without giving in.
• Management: An Introduction by David Boddy (27 May 2005)
• Management; by John Naylor (22 Dec 2003)

Software Development Management
• Carnegie Mellon University / Software Engineering Institute. The Capability Maturity Model: Guidelines for Improving the Software Process. 1995
• DeMarco, Tom. Controlling Software Projects: Management, Measurement, and Estimation. 1982
• DeMarco, Tom and Lister, Timothy; Peopleware; Productive Projects and Teams
• Yourdon, Edward. Structured Walkthroughs. 1985.
• Agile Project Management For Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyles Paperback)) by Mark C. Layton (4 May 2012)

Leadership and Team Management
• John Adair Effective Leadership: How to Develop Leadership Skills, Pan Paperback - 8 April, 1988
• John Adair Effective Teambuilding: How to Make a Winning Team Pan Paperback - 12 June, 1987
• John Adair, The Action-Centred Leader, Industrial Society, London, 1988
• The Management Book: How to Manage Your Team to Deliver Outstanding Results (Financial Times Series) by Richard Newton

Behaviour
• Belbin, R. M., Management Teams: why they succeed or fail, Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford (UK), 1981
• Myers-Briggs, I., Introduction to Type: a description of the theory and applications of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto (USA), 1987
• Bern, Eric. The Games People Play. (Transactional analysis) 1964.
• Tuckman, B. W. (1965). Developmental sequences in small groups. Psychological Bulletin, 63, 384-399.
• Tuckman, B. W., & Jensen, M. A. C. (1977). Stages of small group development revisited. Group and Organizational Studies, 2, 419- 427.
• Why are you shouting at us?: The dos and don'ts of behaviour management by Phil Beadle and John Murphy (17 Jan 2013)
• Knight, Sue; NLP at work; Neuro-Linguistic Programming
• Introducing NLP for Work: A Practical Guide by Dianne Lowther (5 Apr 2012)
• Richard Lewis; When Cultures Collide. Nicholas Brealey Publishing
• Hofstede, Hofstede, Pederson; Exploring Culture. International Press

Time Management
• Do it Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management by Mark Forster (20 Jul 2006)
• Brilliant Time Management: What the Most Productive People Know Do and Say (Brilliant Business) by Mike Clayton (25 Nov 2010)
• Time Management: 24 Techniques to Make Each Minute Count at Work (McGraw-Hill Professional Education Series) by Marc Mancini (1 Jun 2007)