Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rovert
Jun 10, 2013
5 years ago this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBKUkYYOhE4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

When TNA had a budget. :lol: I completely forgot about machete killer Samoa Joe. Good times...

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

super macho dude posted:

When TNA had a budget. :lol: I completely forgot about machete killer Samoa Joe. Good times...

Given that Abyss's nail board had a name, (Janice?), did Samoa Joe's Machete ever get given a name?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Given that Abyss's nail board had a name, (Janice?), did Samoa Joe's Machete ever get given a name?

"career killer"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRafTer posted:

It's weird seeing a guy this overvalued by the market.

Yeah for real.

And is it true that AAA is shutting down?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Del Rio was a great talent poorly handled by WWE, he's exactly what a secondary company should want. Even slightly book him better and people will be amazed about the turn around.

Basically AJ Styles in TNA vs NJPW/ROH

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Del Rio was a great talent poorly handled by WWE, he's exactly what a secondary company should want. Even slightly book him better and people will be amazed about the turn around.

Basically AJ Styles in TNA vs NJPW/ROH

Del Rio isn't half the talent of AJ. He's a good wrestler with some charisma and a good look but he's not someone to build your company around.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Yeah but Del Rio also appeals to a minority demographic that's underserved by the WWE which is exactly the group that smaller companies should be targeting so they can grow in the margins and not come off as WWE-lite. ROH is doing it to a degree by heavily featuring and actually developing black wrestlers; TNA should have become a hybrid lucha fed like 6 years ago if they wanted to carve out an area to grow their audience.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Eric Young resigned, making the current list of people who are definitely staying: Young, Edwards, Richards, Anderson, Rayne, EC3 (injured), Abyss, Godderz, Angle

Roode and Jeff Hardy may still be on their deals which I think included this year. If so Jeff's on his last year on his contract.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Storm and Gunner signed multi-year deals in mid-2014, iirc.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dixie was on Busted Open I guess let's see what she has to say darlin

quote:

On negotiations and choosing Destination America:
"I've never had that in previous years' negotiations. This year, we had more interest from more different networks and the negotiation was really good, but I took my time, honestly .I wanted to make sure we talked with everybody who was interested and really get a sense of where their head was at. I'm not interested in not just having iMPACT on your network...Status quo was not gonna cut it for us. We needed some changes...We needed to have more shows. We needed to have support. We wanted to be at a place that has cross promotional opportunities and it doesn't get any bigger than Discovery...It is a show that they are going to promote all over 10 networks...They're making a serious statement and we're really excited about it. I'd rather not move forward than not have what we deserve."

On Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy and TNA's main event stars:
"For Kurt Angle and Jeff Hardy, for those guys to be the cornerstone of your show, it doesn't get any better than that. Now we have somebody that can work all the time and bring so much exposure to the company. Then you have James Storm, Bobby Roode, Abyss, Austin Aries, all these guys who have been there since the beginning, they're out main event Guys, and then we brought in new talent. In the past 18 months, we've had more talent...real meaty storylines that have established themselves as important in our company. We absolutely have the ability, it's just a matter of signing the right talent at the right time. The future is really bright."

On Sting leaving TNA and moving forward:
"As much as I would have loved to have Sting, our focus on the show is trying to bring this younger talent in and making these changes to the show...So I'm very happy for him, and I hope it's everything he hopes it could be."

On why she let Bully Ray put her through a table:
"I felt like we had to pay it off. It had become such a big storyline. You say Bully Ray, but the reason that was so successful was that all of the other talent that came out of it, that were either brought back for period of times. The Rhinos, if you look at EC3 during that period, Magnus, Rockstar Spud, that was the whole reason we did that. I think it was executed so well, and I didn't hesitate to do it."

If the door is closed on Bully Ray in TNA:
"I would never say closed. Especially with somebody like him...He's been a part of of top storylines for the past several years. And it's hard when you have a certain amount of real estate, but you have to allow other characters to grow...I would love to have him back. I just think right now, it's giving him a little bit of a breather."

On TNA's taping schedule and plans going forward:
"I don't think we're gonna get too far ahead, but the changes we want to make, if we don't tape the way we want to, we're not going to pull it off from a timing perspective. Some of the things we wanted to try, technology was not there. Now we can do that, but with the help of post production...We're going to be filming stuff that people don't know what it is. So there will be surprises...To make it a true television show and to put the kind of time and do these new things we want to be doing, it's going to take post-production. The shows will be different."

If TNA will be doing pay-per-views:
"I think the PPV is a declining business, but it's an important business. When we do it, we want to do it big and want to do it right. You will see a few PPVs this year, but we're trying to find the right time to do them. When we do PPVs, they're going to mean something and they're going to be worth people spending their hard earned money."

The stuff about the tapings seem like a good way to have the live crowd not giving a poo poo about the segments they're watching. I assume the post-production comments mean heavy editing and crowd sweetening.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It's weird seeing a guy this overvalued by the market.

And yet, refreshing, especially in this case.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

TNA Impact Wrestling will reportedly have a heavy reality TV theme to the show when it premieres with Destination America this week. The idea is to have cameras filming everything from wrestlers walking around backstage, entering the building and even being out of character.

Dixie Carter is said to be a big fan of reality TV and Destination America already shows a lot of reality-type programming. TNA will be changing the format of Impact some to fit Destination America better.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
They've already killed a bunch of guys' careers, might as well expose the business as much as possible.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
So Total Divas but with matches?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
TNA Impact is going to be the dumbest thing in the history of Television, Wrestling, The Universe, and Existing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BlueArmyMan posted:

So Total Divas but with matches?

And, I think, only maybe 3-4 women in their Knockouts Division if that.

e: I love that the TNAMecca people are going to twist themselves into knots to like this, because they've done nothing but throw shade on Lucha Underground for having too many backstage segments.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
TNA is saying Dixie Carter has a major announcement for the first show. Either the IMPACT 366 above or Del Rio I guess.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

rovert posted:

TNA is saying Dixie Carter has a major announcement for the first show. Either the IMPACT 366 above or Del Rio I guess.

Dixie has a major announcement
MVP has a major announcement
Kurt Angle has a major announcement

all tomorrow night on Impact.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

yes tna, use this unprecedented opportunity to make yourself look as silly, fake, and out of touch as possible.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
TNA Discussion for January is Total Nonstop Announcements.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

rovert posted:

it'll be Mike Mondo or something

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

it'll be Mike Mondo or something

Maybe they'll bring Snitsky back. They hotshotted him with Big Zeke at the last NYC tapings.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Goddammit. I want Jesse back on Big Brother. :sigh:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Maybe they'll bring Snitsky back. They hotshotted him with Big Zeke at the last NYC tapings.

Still waiting for them to have Snitsky tag with Heidenreich.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Spike hated Vince Russo, maybe Discovery doesn't hate him yet

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Spike hated Vince Russo, maybe Discovery doesn't hate him yet

Dixie has already said she's open to having him back.

Meanwhile Russo continues to bury TNA management every opportunity he gets.

I'm going with him already being back in the fold.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
http://www.impactwrestling.com/Employment-Opportunities

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

And, I think, only maybe 3-4 women in their Knockouts Division if that.

e: I love that the TNAMecca people are going to twist themselves into knots to like this, because they've done nothing but throw shade on Lucha Underground for having too many backstage segments.

A show with Brooke, Tiffany, and Velvet that was all fanservice would do better ratings than TNA will.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dixie was on JR's podcast

quote:

JR: "How many times a week can we expect to watch Impact on Destination America?"

Dixie: "You know, I don't even know that answer."

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

A show with Brooke, Tiffany, and Velvet that was all fanservice would do better ratings than TNA will.

Well outside of peak Kong this is basically the history of Knockouts division and for years they were the top ratings draw.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dixie's not going to be at Impact tonight

quote:

Carter, who will miss Wednesday's taping to represent the network at the Television Critics Association conference...

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
hey if any of y'all got destination america the impact marathon is on

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

Unlike Spike's wide reach on most cable providers, Destination America is available in just under 60 million homes since launching in 2012 and airs shows such as "Hillbilly Blood" and "Ghost Asylum."
"Of course, it's a small concern," Carter said.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The idea that this company that has been the dictionary definiton of 'stagnated growth' AT BEST in the decade they've been around is going to grow this network that no one watches continues to amaze and amuse me.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I only watched TNA for a few months in 2012 and only occasionally even watch Raw at this point, but I admit this sounds so potentially awful I'm curious enough to open up a stream of this tonight.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know how JR kept himself from going buckwild on Dixie when she said that most fans are more interested in backstage stuff and the personal lives of wrestlers than the in-ring product on his podcast, considering that's the exact kind of poo poo you know he'll whine about endlessly for weeks on end.

Thauros, I wouldn't expect that product to be on tonight though - Dixie's said that probably won't start until next week or later after they've had some time to do post-production on the show, which they can't do tonight since it's live. It sounds like the more reality show-esque presentation will be the Impact replay on Saturdays (TNA Unlocked I think?), which Dixie described as the 'directors cut' of the regular Impact show with some extra poo poo added in post.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 7, 2015

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Did Low Ki re-sign yet? And why is he wearing that awful spandex outfit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know how JR kept himself from going buckwild on Dixie when she said that most fans are more interested in backstage stuff and the personal lives of wrestlers than the in-ring product on his podcast, considering that's the exact kind of poo poo you know he'll whine about endlessly for weeks on end.

JR is not a good interviewer and Dixie would do best not to ever talk to media again.

• Locked thread