Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Supraluminal posted:

Most of the ones I get are reasonably far out, but I haven't found it to be much of an obstacle. It's pretty easy to build a smallish, cheap satellite with a few km of dV, plenty to make any orbit around Kerbin/Mun/Minmus.

Oh it's very do-able, it's just a bit weird. It'd be nice if the contracts wanted stuff in more common or useful orbits. It'd be nice if you ended up having a satellite mess that looks like the real life one.

In a similar vein, it'd be nice to get space station contracts for kerbin more easily, space stations anywhere else are considerably less useful, particularly the bloody solar orbit ones I keep getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Landed my first stock Mun base for a contract. 11 person occupancy, must have mobile lab.

Not a bad location to land in. Click for huge.

And the outside shot. Landed with nearly bingo fuel. Talk about intense.

Talk about flying a brick though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lander originally intended for maneuvering around Minmus turns out to be capable of landing on Ike and reorbiting, but not of returning to Kerbin from there. Good thing the exploration contract doesn't require returning, and that I just unlocked the grabber.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
For MKS/OKS, how do you use the flex-o-tubes to connect two base/station modules? Do I need to put docking ports on both sides or is there a way with KAS to just use the flex-o-tube by itself? I can't figure out how to use the link mode at all and there's no indication of how to link something once you're in that mode.

I'm just using it for pretty base/station parts right now with EPL and no TACLS, if that matters.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Does anyone else have a bug with part test contracts not registering your altitude or speed in 0.90? I've had three in a row fail to complete despite meeting all the parameters, because it refused to recognize that I was at the right height or going the right speed.

e: Think I found the issue, it's with something called ContractConfigurator that I don't even remember installing.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 7, 2015

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
First time doing a slingshot maneuver tonight, used Mun to launch to Minmus for about 100 dV savings, gathered science from the Minmus fly by, then landed on Mun to plant a flag.

:feelsgood:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Splode posted:

In a similar vein, it'd be nice to get space station contracts for kerbin more easily, space stations anywhere else are considerably less useful, particularly the bloody solar orbit ones I keep getting.

This would be good.

Someone else suggested nested/continued contracts for stations. They could be like the "visit planet X" and "visit moon Y" contracts. Once you complete those, you could get a "build station around X", and it could either have sub-steps like some of the other multi-part ones, or--after completion of the first small station contract--subsequent contract spawns at random to request adding more modules.

Presently, it is kinda like the latter, but you may need to game the docking/craft type to trigger completion. Would be better if it was more explicit building progression.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've installed MKS, EPL, TAC-LS and Karbonite (need a TLA for that one Roverdude :v:) and a few other things, and I've just got one question. What the hell do I want to do first in a sandbox? :saddowns:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

I've installed MKS, EPL, TAC-LS and Karbonite (need a TLA for that one Roverdude :v:) and a few other things, and I've just got one question. What the hell do I want to do first in a sandbox? :saddowns:

Reenact "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" on Duna?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

You need to ask?

I pretty much only play sandbox because of limited time. This is me, not you but if you have RemoteTech in there with them, building a comms network, possibly scanning Mun / Minmus for Karbonite deposits, building off world infrastructure then spreading out and dominating the Kerbol system.

Establish a system wide comms network. Build stations in orbit and on planets / moons / asteroids. Establish refuelling depots (can life support be renewable? I have no idea). Assemble mighty interplanetary craft. Go mad! C'mon. The universe, or at least part thereof, is your proverbial oyster!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm looking for a flag I used to have. It was for a Kraken Hunter's Society or some such. I think it had tentacles and it's dominant colors were likely green and purple. Does anyone have that? I can't find it with google.

I have terrible memory. Found it on the subreddit for Kerbal Flags.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Met posted:

I'm looking for a flag I used to have. It was for a Kraken Hunter's Society or some such. I think it had tentacles and it's dominant colors were likely green and purple. Does anyone have that? I can't find it with google.

I have terrible memory. Found it on the subreddit for Kerbal Flags.

I'll have to add this to my SA Flags zip that I use as a "mod" to add flags.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Krittick posted:

For MKS/OKS, how do you use the flex-o-tubes to connect two base/station modules? Do I need to put docking ports on both sides or is there a way with KAS to just use the flex-o-tube by itself? I can't figure out how to use the link mode at all and there's no indication of how to link something once you're in that mode.

I'm just using it for pretty base/station parts right now with EPL and no TACLS, if that matters.

Hey I know this one!

First, make sure you have KAS installed. You need one flex-o-tube on each bit you're connecting. If you know how to use KAS pipes, it's the exact same procedure. If you don't know how, you take a Kerbal on EVA and get near one of the flex-o-tubes. Right click on the part and a menu should pop up with 'Link' as one of the options. Click on that, and you should see a phantom tube start following the Kerbal. Take your kerbal to the other flex-o-tube and do the menu thing again and click 'Link' again and it should work perfectly. It might be a different word (I haven't played in a couple days) but it should be semantically related.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Robzilla posted:

I'll have to add this to my SA Flags zip that I use as a "mod" to add flags.

Don't know if you care for it but I use a 1940's Aperture atom logo usually. It was a quickie but it looks okay so I still use it.

For science.

I'm posting from my tablet so I don't have access to it right now sorry.

e: drat you SwiftKey Autocorrect!

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

Don't know if you care for it but I use a 1940's Aperture atom logo usually. It was a quickie but it looks okay so I still use it.
When you get a chance that'd be great.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Robzilla posted:

When you get a chance that'd be great.

I'll try for tonight (GMT+10+1). My router is in it's death throes so I have to jump through a few hoops to use the internet without it rebooting repeatedly but I can do it.

Thinking about it I haven't lost a Kerbonaut in at least two releases. Since I installed Remote tech actually, because now probes actually have some kind of meaning / entertainment value. Beforehand GladOS couldn't touch me for test subject turnover... I mean Pilot. *cough*

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Got the Aperture logo here. Apparently I also did a Hyperion logo but it didn't turn out as well.

It's being attached so YMMV. If it doesn't work what can I host it with that won't mess with it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KAS is great if only for the EVA-attachable struts. My station components are littered with strut end points, then after docking just connect all the struts for a nicely rigid station.

Re: Using a spare engine as an alternator, Near Future Electric has an LFO fueled generator iirc.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Has the spontaneous disassembly been reduced with KAS?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

EightBit posted:

First time doing a slingshot maneuver tonight, used Mun to launch to Minmus for about 100 dV savings, gathered science from the Minmus fly by, then landed on Mun to plant a flag.

:feelsgood:

I must admit, doing these makes me inordinately pleased with myself too. Jool is a good place for slingshots. Wrangling large asteroids for cheap with a slingshot makes me happy too.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

KAS is great if only for the EVA-attachable struts. My station components are littered with strut end points, then after docking just connect all the struts for a nicely rigid station.

Re: Using a spare engine as an alternator, Near Future Electric has an LFO fueled generator iirc.

Karbonite has a Karboelectric generator too.

Winches and pipes are where it's at with KAS for me. And those ground anchor things. I once landed a whole lot more tall skinny rocket than I should have and used KAS to quickly set up a pipe as a prop before the SAS used up the battery. KSP makes people do weird things.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Is karbonite going to be integrated with the base game? I Dont know if it's true or if I dreamed it.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Is karbonite going to be integrated with the base game? I Dont know if it's true or if I dreamed it.

It's not particularly stockalike (or balanced imo) so probably not. As far as I remember squad are still not 100% on if they're going to implement resources?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Turks posted:

It's not particularly stockalike (or balanced imo) so probably not. As far as I remember squad are still not 100% on if they're going to implement resources?

Maxmaps posted:

Hey RoverDude, anychance you got a Skype or something we can talk over?

For the record, I agree that it needs a bit of tweaking. Or it could be MKS, but I think that needs more (for my play style - I see why a lot of people love it)

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Captain Postal posted:

For the record, I agree that it needs a bit of tweaking. Or it could be MKS, but I think that needs more (for my play style - I see why a lot of people love it)

While Roverdude's stuff is cool, most of it doesn't match the stock experience. If anything they're probably offering him a job.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Turks posted:

Maxmaps posted two pages ago that they're putting resources in the next patch, along with aerodynamics.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Well, those are a pair of fun glitches.

Tried to do a rescue mission. Launched an empty Mk1 command pod with a probe brain driving. Everything went smoothly until the rescued kerbal grabbed the ladder, and then she couldn't board because my pod was full! I checked, and sure enough, my command pod now had... a copy of the rescued kerbal sitting inside it, with the terrified rescuee still clinging to the ladder.

I didn't get credit for bringing her back.

Also I am now getting stuck on the launchpad 'every single time' if I don't use a stability assist, instead of 'sometimes'. I think I'm going to let myself get my new computer up and running and completely reinstall and think hard about whether or not mods are 'worth it', because ever since I just installed Engineer, Scansat, and the mods CKAN wanted me to download with it my game's been a super-buggy mess where completing any contracts is a matter of sheer luck. :(

edit: hahaha, now the explore the mun contract doesn't accept that I am in fact orbiting the mun. Fantastic.
edit2: nope, I guess that doesn't count as transmitting scientific data from the space around the mun. Also fantastic.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 7, 2015

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Edminster posted:

Hey I know this one!

First, make sure you have KAS installed. You need one flex-o-tube on each bit you're connecting. If you know how to use KAS pipes, it's the exact same procedure. If you don't know how, you take a Kerbal on EVA and get near one of the flex-o-tubes. Right click on the part and a menu should pop up with 'Link' as one of the options. Click on that, and you should see a phantom tube start following the Kerbal. Take your kerbal to the other flex-o-tube and do the menu thing again and click 'Link' again and it should work perfectly. It might be a different word (I haven't played in a couple days) but it should be semantically related.

That makes sense. For some reason I was thinking only a single flex-o-tube was needed for both ends of the connection (ie. As if the MKS part's node acted as a destination for the KAS link).

Thanks!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Mukaikubo posted:

Tried to do a rescue mission. Launched an empty Mk1 command pod with a probe brain driving. Everything went smoothly until the rescued kerbal grabbed the ladder, and then she couldn't board because my pod was full! I checked, and sure enough, my command pod now had... a copy of the rescued kerbal sitting inside it, with the terrified rescuee still clinging to the ladder.

Clearly a transporter malfunction. You just brought back the evil copy. You monster.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Mukaikubo posted:

Also I am now getting stuck on the launchpad 'every single time' if I don't use a stability assist, instead of 'sometimes'. I think I'm going to let myself get my new computer up and running and completely reinstall and think hard about whether or not mods are 'worth it', because ever since I just installed Engineer, Scansat, and the mods CKAN wanted me to download with it my game's been a super-buggy mess where completing any contracts is a matter of sheer luck. :(

edit: hahaha, now the explore the mun contract doesn't accept that I am in fact orbiting the mun. Fantastic.
edit2: nope, I guess that doesn't count as transmitting scientific data from the space around the mun. Also fantastic.

do you have patched conics yet? If not it may show you as in Mun orbit but you are actually going to escape back into Kerbin SOI if your inner ap/pe is too high.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Does anyone have any advice on how to get sounding rockets to point any direction other than straight up without nosing into the ground immediately? I've been using the launch sticks, but the problem is that they don't have any kind of decoupler built in, so they remain on the rocket until they get sheared off - which is long enough for the rocket to go from 'pointed at the sky' to 'pointed at the ground' and explode.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

Does anyone have any advice on how to get sounding rockets to point any direction other than straight up without nosing into the ground immediately? I've been using the launch sticks, but the problem is that they don't have any kind of decoupler built in, so they remain on the rocket until they get sheared off - which is long enough for the rocket to go from 'pointed at the sky' to 'pointed at the ground' and explode.

My sticks fall off within a second or two of launch, no problems. Maybe post a screenshot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just realized the rocket I made last night is probably the most complicated thing I've made yet in KSP, though that's not saying much. It DID finally present to me a use for the bi/tri/quad couplers on 2.5m+ rockets though. From the pod down, just two orange tanks and a mainsail. Radial parachutes on the pod, upside-down quad coupler on top, and on each port a decoupler, ion engine, small SAS module, xenon gas, two gigantor panels, two communotron 88-88s (the dish), a probe core and a communotron-32 (omni) on top.

My hope was to get my whole RemoteTech network going in a single launch, dropping all the satellites off at geosynchronous altitude. Problem is I'm not actually sure how to go about dropping them off in such a way that I can control them long enough to get them out of the way/circularize their orbit. (My original plan was to set my launcher in a 2.8Mm AP, 75km PE orbit and just drop off satellites at appropriate APs; the problem I had last night with that plan is that for the first satellite KSC has swung round out of range by the time I'm ready to let go of the first satellite, so I can't control it anymore.)

KSP is hard :saddowns:

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

Got the Aperture logo here. Apparently I also did a Hyperion logo but it didn't turn out as well.

It's being attached so YMMV. If it doesn't work what can I host it with that won't mess with it?

You could always use imgur, it wont mess with a small file like the flags too much.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

My hope was to get my whole RemoteTech network going in a single launch, dropping all the satellites off at geosynchronous altitude. Problem is I'm not actually sure how to go about dropping them off in such a way that I can control them long enough to get them out of the way/circularize their orbit. (My original plan was to set my launcher in a 2.8Mm AP, 75km PE orbit and just drop off satellites at appropriate APs; the problem I had last night with that plan is that for the first satellite KSC has swung round out of range by the time I'm ready to let go of the first satellite, so I can't control it anymore.)

KSP is hard :saddowns:
The hardest part with RT is setting up the initial network. I did it with manned launches carrying lots of maneuvering fuel and a cluster of microsats.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Collateral Damage posted:

The hardest part with RT is setting up the initial network. I did it with manned launches carrying lots of maneuvering fuel and a cluster of microsats.

I generally do it with a crude ring of low level (200km-ish) satellites to support the higher level ones. 200km orbits are doable without going out of range of the KSC, if you burn moreorless straight up from launch, only turning enough to keep on top of KSC. 10-15 degrees seems to be enough. Don't circularise until you're up at 200km and you'll have time for the whole burn. You'll need five for a full ring, or you can try to use just one and time your next launch to let you go higher without losing communications.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I'm kind of sad that you can't make an monopropellant rocket that can reach orbit. :(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Brovine posted:

I generally do it with a crude ring of low level (200km-ish) satellites to support the higher level ones. 200km orbits are doable without going out of range of the KSC, if you burn moreorless straight up from launch, only turning enough to keep on top of KSC. 10-15 degrees seems to be enough. Don't circularise until you're up at 200km and you'll have time for the whole burn. You'll need five for a full ring, or you can try to use just one and time your next launch to let you go higher without losing communications.
You can put one sat in geostationary orbit just over KSC to increase its over the horizon range, from there it's pretty smooth sailing to set the rest up. And getting the first up in KSO is easy to do with the RT flight computer.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

karl fungus posted:

I'm kind of sad that you can't make an monopropellant rocket that can reach orbit. :(

We remember a time, 0.18?, monoprop was king. :waxingnostalgic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

karl fungus posted:

That sounded like a challenge!