Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
man you guys make awesome music.

my soundcloud is a mother fuckin joke echinopsis is my username. it's all garbage

sorry to chane the topic
but i had been of da wagon for a while
now i am back on

anyway I am proud of that mess of visual coding. I am reporting and selecting between objects using selector nodes instead of making variables at the time and referencing them later! booya

it's cool because it's a thing I have in my level, and it checks to see if something in particular is above or below it (this is when the level is being built, not during the game) and then if so takes the material and uses it for itself. it means I have a totally different kind of object in my level but I don't need to "work" to make it use the same material as something else does it just will

e:

portal mesh in blender. simple and dull as faaauuuck

put it in ue4, nice materials, grain, etc

da portal dawhgs

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

man you guys make awesome music.

my soundcloud is a mother fuckin joke echinopsis is my username. it's all garbage

sorry to chane the topic
but i had been of da wagon for a while
now i am back on

anyway I am proud of that mess of visual coding. I am reporting and selecting between objects using selector nodes instead of making variables at the time and referencing them later! booya

it's cool because it's a thing I have in my level, and it checks to see if something in particular is above or below it (this is when the level is being built, not during the game) and then if so takes the material and uses it for itself. it means I have a totally different kind of object in my level but I don't need to "work" to make it use the same material as something else does it just will

e:

da portal dawhgs

daaaaang

i have done literally none of this type of programming so that poo poo looks like magic to me

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

echinopsis posted:

e:

da portal dawhgs
This gives me hope for my abysmal low-poly modelling skillz.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

minidracula posted:

This gives me hope for my abysmal low-poly modelling skillz.

it should man. i have almost no skill. everything i create in blender is mostly using bevels and inline and extrude functions. i have little taste

Trig Discipline posted:

daaaaang

i have done literally none of this type of programming so that poo poo looks like magic to me

if there is a programming adage like "keep it simple stupid" or pythonic or whatever, i haven't gone down that path. sometimes its a challenge to myself to see if i can get something to work. i am better than i used to be but does that mean anything i do is good? heck NO

e:
some partlces in there.

e2:
start of tutoiral

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 7, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I usually get as far as making a sweet 8 or 16 measure loop in GarageBand and an 8 or 16 measure drum loop but not figuring out how to assemble them into anything longer

also that I listen to more prog than bleeps and bloops

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i dont listen to much electronic music and you can tell

https://soundcloud.com/echinopsis/rod-rocket-ambience

although that isnt bad (requires loud +sub to make most). while making it i kinda realised i like "noise" music, dat texture when the waves go in and out of sync etc.. its like you're trying to write music between lines

but id never listen to music like this, on my own time.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

I usually get as far as making a sweet 8 or 16 measure loop in GarageBand and an 8 or 16 measure drum loop but not figuring out how to assemble them into anything longer

also that I listen to more prog than bleeps and bloops

pirate ableton

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

echinopsis posted:

pirate ableton

i already have ableton but i haven't messed with it much

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

echinopsis posted:

yeah i dont listen to much electronic music and you can tell

https://soundcloud.com/echinopsis/rod-rocket-ambience

although that isnt bad (requires loud +sub to make most). while making it i kinda realised i like "noise" music, dat texture when the waves go in and out of sync etc.. its like you're trying to write music between lines

but id never listen to music like this, on my own time.

my proudest achievement is transcribing the intro from an abba song into famitracker

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

i already have ableton but i haven't messed with it much

I like it because it's so quick and easy to gently caress around with the sound, more so than sequence it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
not that you can't obv but I like fuckin around

man I fuckin dream is accessing those synths from inside ue4 directly id make live sound for my game

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

I created a “starfield”. due to not wanting to use a texture and also because I wouldn’t know how to start faking one, I decided to make a procedural star field generator. It places pentagons a large distance away with a very bright colour (using blackbody + emission of course) with some random colouring. about 25,000 stars in the field, no idea how many are on screen at once. It doesn’t seem to make it slower (although I haven’t tested it)

it kinda shimmers in game but not as cool as in real life. the balance of brightness with the lens glare is well i dont know what is optimal

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

echinopsis posted:

I like it because it's so quick and easy to gently caress around with the sound, more so than sequence it

loving around with sound has come a long way

Jeff Lynne posted:

[Don't Bring Me Down is] basically a snare that's just crushed to death by a UREI [1176]. That's as flat as I could have it without it blowing up or becoming a fuzz box. That's how I did it in the first place, and I did the same method on the new version. On the original record, that was actually a drum loop from a different song. I just took two tracks of drumming-- bass drum and snare, with a bit of leakage on the hi-hat-- put it on the 2-track machine and did the old trick, wound it round a mic stand and my old pencil. I think it was two bars long. Recorded that onto the 24-track, and then I was ready to go. [...] Believe it or not, I think that had eight pianos on it, all doing the same note. God knows what I was expecting to happen. It just gets eight times louder! If you turn it down, it's still only one piano. It doesn't track like a guitar [recorded with multiple passes], because a guitar bends a bit. You can slightly knock it out of tune, and you get this big chorus effect. A piano doesn't do that, of course, until you bang it out of tune."

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

echinopsis posted:

not that you can't obv but I like fuckin around

man I fuckin dream is accessing those synths from inside ue4 directly id make live sound for my game

idk how well this would work, but i found something that says it can send osc messages from ue4 https://github.com/zachrkn/UE4OSC/blob/master/README.md

& you can use osc to control ableton instruments

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flat Daddy posted:

idk how well this would work, but i found something that says it can send osc messages from ue4 https://github.com/zachrkn/UE4OSC/blob/master/README.md

& you can use osc to control ableton instruments

woah

i think tht would be a bit beyond my skill level but you never know?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

it's midi but over tcp/ip and not stuck in 1983

http://livecontrol.q3f.org/ableton-liveapi/liveosc/ i think this is what you use on the ableton end

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

here's something that might be fun to mess with

http://www.playfuljs.com/a-first-person-engine-in-265-lines/

simple demonstration of a raycasting FPS engine in javascript, ported to python, java, direct2d, someone got it running on their iphone

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
nifty

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

yeah it's pretty cool. i've been poking at it, so far I have it generating an ASCII map of the level in the console and i'm trying to redo the random map generator to give cells random textures from a list

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cross post from my tumblr

quote:

I’ve been thinking a lot of about the scope and ambition of the idea that I have for rodrocket.

@hobbygamedev asked the question “What’s your top priority as a videogame developer? (Near-term and long-term?)” and I answered “long term: simplify. simpler less ambitious games, and more of them. simple idea executed well”, and it’s made me think a bit about what I want out of this game.

There are certainly aspects of this game that are borne from me wanting to see if I could make something work, and then shoehorning it into the game. The block building was a good example, it worked and was kinda cool, but didn’t fit with the game. I still like the idea of a inventory and trading, but the requires the game to be very big, and for upgrades/new ships to be really exciting and for people to want to get there

So I am thinking of simpliying significantly. One ship. procedural rooms created at the time. I don’t know. I think I am realising it’s too much right now, and needs to be simpler

idk if i can make the game i want to or if the game i want to make would be fun.

simple. i need to make it more simple. ive got an idea too

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol if you are actually capable of experiencing fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
been loving around in substance painter using particle effects for painting.

that took very little effort

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

minecraft clone #117845 coming along well

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol i make cubes coz they easy. it might in fact be a prototype of a dice for a snakes and ladders game i want to make for rich kids with ipads my children

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
started loving around with blender and ue4 again
3d work is hard

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
getting 90% of the way there is easy

ignore the last 10%, thats what i do

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

echinopsis posted:

getting 90% of the way there is easy

ignore the last 10%, thats what i do

please don't talk about my life tia

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fyi the correct theorem is 80/20

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

is it
i just made that up on the spot

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Bloody posted:

80/20 is very good for idiot project structural members

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hmm, i'm still messing with that raycaster. i redid it so that the map is made of tile objects with a height (currently always 1) and a texture. if there's an error and (x,y) points to a tile that should not be a wall, it renders a contrasting easy-to-see picture of Tazz in an XFL jacket I found on my hard drive.

step is an object containing information about where the ray intersects with a wall. it contains an (x,y) coordinate pair, the offset from a grid line, the distance to the wall, and some other data. currently, to find the tile (and its associated texture) it rounds (x,y) down and looks it up in the tilemap two-dimensional array. this works great for two sides of the wall.

this does not work for the other side of the walls!

code:
texture = tilemap.tilemap[int(math.floor(step.x))][int(math.floor(step.y))].texture

if texture is None:
		texture = Image(IMAGES["texture_tazz"])
i'm doing something wrong here but math is hard and i don't know what. math.ceil() is even worse, round() gives me walls that are half-Tazz and half-wall. i uploaded it to github if anyone wants to help me figure out what it's doing. the relevant function is draw_column.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

blueprint is fun

this is going back a little bit but gently caress you started me on a path i will never leave. i am in your debt. el gruntox did the same back in 2010 or so on irc when he introudced me to keto

you guys

are my heros

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

hmm, i'm still messing with that raycaster. i redid it so that the map is made of tile objects with a height (currently always 1) and a texture. if there's an error and (x,y) points to a tile that should not be a wall, it renders a contrasting easy-to-see picture of Tazz in an XFL jacket I found on my hard drive.

step is an object containing information about where the ray intersects with a wall. it contains an (x,y) coordinate pair, the offset from a grid line, the distance to the wall, and some other data. currently, to find the tile (and its associated texture) it rounds (x,y) down and looks it up in the tilemap two-dimensional array. this works great for two sides of the wall.

this does not work for the other side of the walls!

code:
texture = tilemap.tilemap[int(math.floor(step.x))][int(math.floor(step.y))].texture

if texture is None:
		texture = Image(IMAGES["texture_tazz"])
i'm doing something wrong here but math is hard and i don't know what. math.ceil() is even worse, round() gives me walls that are half-Tazz and half-wall. i uploaded it to github if anyone wants to help me figure out what it's doing. the relevant function is draw_column.

You have to keep track of which direction you're casting the ray in relative to the world. If the ray was going left and up when it hit then round both X and Y down to get the correct tile coordinates. If it was going right and up, then round X up and Y down. If it was going left and down then round X down and Y up. If the ray was going right and down, round both X and Y up.

I don't know how this particular ray caster does it, but a lot of raycasters used in actual games cast two rays for each vertical slice. One that only checks for intersections with vertical walls, and one that only checks for intersections with horizontal walls. Then compare the distance and choose whichever one is closer. Makes the code easier when deciding whether or not to round up or down, and there are some other benefits but I forget what they are.

This link and this one were pretty much considered to be the on-line resources for info about writing ray casting engines back when I was playing around and wrote one.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
perhaps someone can help me think of a decent way to do this without awkward brute forcing

im trying to procedurally make a room shape, but perhaps have more than 4 walls, like imagine 2 squares offset from each other and combined

and then put a wall around it

what i need is a way to draw the edges only..

the idea i have is to create the rooms by populating a 2d array with "on" or "off" (meaning, a part of a room or not), and then iterate through the array comparing all neighbouring variables, and if the current one is an "off" but is next to an "on" then its a wall. otherwise its not

seems inefficient and bad. the worst part is that #ue4 blueprints don't have a built in way of doing 2d arrays and its embarassing to admit it given how much i praise blueprints for everything else. laugh it up

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

maybe this helps

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

the worst part is that #ue4 blueprints don't have a built in way of doing 2d arrays and its embarassing to admit it given how much i praise blueprints for everything else. laugh it up

i'll have to use a 1d array and create functions to kinda treat it like a 2d one. should be simple enough

kalstrams posted:

maybe this helps

thanks. that link in itself doesnt have much good stuff but it reminds me they have just done a twitch or something on procedural generation so i need 2 watch it

e: this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI7eYXMJ5eI

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 14, 2015

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

perhaps someone can help me think of a decent way to do this without awkward brute forcing

im trying to procedurally make a room shape, but perhaps have more than 4 walls, like imagine 2 squares offset from each other and combined

and then put a wall around it

what i need is a way to draw the edges only..

the idea i have is to create the rooms by populating a 2d array with "on" or "off" (meaning, a part of a room or not), and then iterate through the array comparing all neighbouring variables, and if the current one is an "off" but is next to an "on" then its a wall. otherwise its not

seems inefficient and bad. the worst part is that #ue4 blueprints don't have a built in way of doing 2d arrays and its embarassing to admit it given how much i praise blueprints for everything else. laugh it up

Look up boolean operations. You want a union, which will give you the outline of 2 intersecting shapes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks man. belieb it or not ive heard of boolean before :O i actually love using that poo poo all over the place with the select node

its actually the entire operation, of creating a grid like array, laying shapes on it appropriately, adding "dooirs" then walls, then turning that into objects on the screen. i like the challenge but every part of it is new to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also its kinda common for me to come into this thread to start to ask a question, and when i start trying to eludicate the problem, i realise a soluition, and i dont post.