Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

MockingQuantum posted:

Tacking on to the "how'd you get into industrial music" pre-holidays discussion, I'm actually a newcomer to industrial. I found my way to it kind of belatedly because although I love (prepare your ridicule) Rammstein and NIN, I had never really listened to anything but metal. Now a friend has rightfully introduced me to KMFDM and Ministry, and I feel like I missed a terribly important boat earlier in life. I feel like I have a cold, unfeeling buffet of music set out before me, and I have no idea what to try first.

If you dig industrial metal, Fear Factory is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Oo-a-Vaso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

If you dig industrial metal, Fear Factory is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Oo-a-Vaso

Never really been into Fear Factory, but it's been a couple of years since I gave them a shot. Might be worth trying them out again. What's a recommended starting point for someone who's never listened to Skinny Puppy before:?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

MockingQuantum posted:

Never really been into Fear Factory, but it's been a couple of years since I gave them a shot. Might be worth trying them out again. What's a recommended starting point for someone who's never listened to Skinny Puppy before:?

Too Dark Park is loving amazing, so's VIVIsectVI.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Too Dark Park is loving amazing

Yes yes yes

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Rabies is a polarizing album but Al Jourgensen's presence makes it one of the most "metal" they did. I loved it, then hated it, and now I love it again.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

BigPoot posted:

Rabies is a polarizing album but Al Jourgensen's presence makes it one of the most "metal" they did. I loved it, then hated it, and now I love it again.

It's an ok album with some great goddamn songs on it.

Too Dark Park might be their best, but isn't where I'd recommend starting. Simeone said Vivisect, another solid choice, but Remission is where it is 100% at to start.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Tacking on to the "how'd you get into industrial music" pre-holidays discussion, I'm actually a newcomer to industrial. I found my way to it kind of belatedly because although I love (prepare your ridicule) Rammstein and NIN, I had never really listened to anything but metal. Now a friend has rightfully introduced me to KMFDM and Ministry, and I feel like I missed a terribly important boat earlier in life. I feel like I have a cold, unfeeling buffet of music set out before me, and I have no idea what to try first.

:hfive: I love Rammstein and am a fan of NIN. Don't be ashamed. The husband is much more into metal but we find common ground through industrial metal acts.

ZoltarOmniscient
Jan 17, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

If you want another good metal tinged gateway to industrial I'd try Frontline Assembly's Millennium, followed by tactical neural implant.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mennoknight posted:

It's an ok album with some great goddamn songs on it.

Too Dark Park might be their best, but isn't where I'd recommend starting. Simeone said Vivisect, another solid choice, but Remission is where it is 100% at to start.

Thanks for the recs, everybody. On the same note, are there any other bands besides Skinny Puppy I should be checking out ASAP? I have a three hour drive on Friday, so one more really good album would be awesome.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I wouldn't describe TNI as metal in any way. A masterpiece, yes...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Thanks for the recs, everybody. On the same note, are there any other bands besides Skinny Puppy I should be checking out ASAP? I have a three hour drive on Friday, so one more really good album would be awesome.
3TEETH have come to remind us of 90's industrial without just retreading old ground, and we're all very grateful.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Yeah, 3teeth put out a hell of an album recently. It's the best example of that chainsaw guitar driven industrial that I've heard in ages.

ZoltarOmniscient
Jan 17, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

I wouldn't describe TNI as metal in any way. A masterpiece, yes...

Yeah, I kind of meant it as a good point to get into their more straightforward industrial stuff.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

spamman posted:

Yeah, 3teeth put out a hell of an album recently. It's the best example of that chainsaw guitar driven industrial that I've heard in ages.

Well I'm going to check out FLA in the interest of taking a listen to the greats, but I'm definitely going to look into 3teeth too, that sounds very intriguing. I feel like a kid in a candy store here, don't get my wrong, I like my metal and my stoner rock, but I think I'll find a new music love the more I listen.

On a related note, I just caught VNV Nation on a Spotify playlist and realized I used to listen to them a ton in junior high, then blocked out their name entirely.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FLA's Implode didn't leave my car stereo for months back in '99. Fatalist is my absolute favorite song by them.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Pope Guilty posted:

Too Dark Park is loving amazing, so's VIVIsectVI.

TDP is what ruined everything for me, simply because after listening I knew I'd never connect with another album quite the same.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Cleaner posted:

TDP is what ruined everything for me, simply because after listening I knew I'd never connect with another album quite the same.

At one point i kept going "I should switch to another album, right after this song", but then I'd be too slow and the next song would come on, and well gently caress I can't do it now, just gotta wait for the next one...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
For pure listening pleasure, I enjoy Bites and Remission the most, notwithstanding that it's a fixup.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Puppy's Last Rights is also amazing, not as well loved as TDP because it's a bit softer, but all the same coolness is there, the sparsity of melody/harmony, the dynamic rhythms, the uniqueness of the sound. Really though, you can't go wrong with any of the precomeback stuff.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My favourite is The Process. :colbert:

Come at me !

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Weapon is the best post-comeback album imo.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

MockingQuantum posted:

If you like Rammstein, do you already listen to Eisbrecher?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you like Rammstein, do you already listen to Eisbrecher?

No, though I did make that connection reading a post from a few pages back, so I'll check them out too. Hilariously, the only other band that Rammstein led me to directly was Oomph, of all bands.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Kaddish posted:

Weapon is the best post-comeback album imo.

Weapon owns.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
As we're on the more metallic side of things, I've recently got back into Pitchshifter. The first 2 albums are like a missing link between Godflesh and Ministry, then from Infotainment onwards things got more DnB-like and JS Clayden became Johnny Rotten. The remix albums are pretty drat fine too, much more electronic in nature. Shame they split up over a decade ago really.

Here's them covering Big Black

http://youtu.be/mfkA6abCSKY

And one off the first album, "Industrial"

http://youtu.be/NA9mq5bD3J0

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 8, 2015

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

No, though I did make that connection reading a post from a few pages back, so I'll check them out too. Hilariously, the only other band that Rammstein led me to directly was Oomph, of all bands.

What's in any way hilarious about that :confused:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

What's in any way hilarious about that :confused:

I'd venture to say that Oomph! was WAY less popular than Eisbrecher in the mid 2000s where I grew up. I think I bought Wahrheit oder Pflicht in a bargain bin at a video game rental place, so I guess I've always had it in my mind that they were relative unknowns in Midwest USA.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd venture to say that Oomph! was WAY less popular than Eisbrecher in the mid 2000s where I grew up. I think I bought Wahrheit oder Pflicht in a bargain bin at a video game rental place, so I guess I've always had it in my mind that they were relative unknowns in Midwest USA.

Right. It just struck me as a really weird thing to say, considering Rammstein (and Eisbrecher) were pretty much directly influenced by OOMPH!.

I'd say more surprising is the fact that any German industrial band at all is known in Midwest USA in the first place.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Right. It just struck me as a really weird thing to say, considering Rammstein (and Eisbrecher) were pretty much directly influenced by OOMPH!.

I'd say more surprising is the fact that any German industrial band at all is known in Midwest USA in the first place.

It's definitely thanks to Rammstein. Plus I grew up in the way northern midwest (North Dakota) and at the time we had a startlingly large population of people for whom German was at least a second language. I found out about Rammstein because my guitar teacher (who was a native German speaker) knew I was learning German and needed some simple riffs to figure out, and that's how I found my way to Sehnsucht. Holy poo poo was that album hard to find where I was from, though.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Speaking of Rammstein, apparently Till has a new project now, with Peter Tägtgren (from Pain and other things). Could be pretty good, however I do have to admit that while I can appreciate his talent, I've never really cared for anything Tägtgren has made. There's just something about his music that doesn't work for me, but I can't put my finger on what. Maybe it's his voice.

ZoltarOmniscient
Jan 17, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd say look into left spine down, youth code and haujobb, as none of them have been mentioned yet but they're all very good.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh, Feindflug are also awesome and might appeal. They've got some pretty metal guitar on some tracks as well, but they're not really quite like anyone else in the genre.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
After cancelling really late last year for Infest 2014, project pitchfork just got announced for Infest 2015. So helllllll yeaaaaaaah

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Seabound announced "a tour" for the east coast and mid-west for March & April (west coast "at a later date") ... but they haven't announced any specific dates.

With my luck they'll play here on my wedding night :D

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

teethgrinder posted:

Seabound announced "a tour" for the east coast and mid-west for March & April (west coast "at a later date") ... but they haven't announced any specific dates.

With my luck they'll play here on my wedding night :D

Congrats!!

I look forward to the Industrial Wedding Mixtape.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:phoneline::phoneline::awesomelon::phoneline::phoneline:

:phoneline::phoneline::awesomelon::phoneline::phoneline:

!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZJp4uj9-3w

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 12, 2015

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

If you like 90's industrial metal things, you might like Bile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vmFzNEEJ4

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Oh, Feindflug are also awesome and might appeal. They've got some pretty metal guitar on some tracks as well, but they're not really quite like anyone else in the genre.

Might as well check out Siechtum while you're in the neighborhood.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ashbury Heights is delivering the album to their label to be mastered! There's going to be an album this year!!! :roboluv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yo what ever happened to Primitive Race