Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Meanwhile in twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.
Jesus Christ, don't read the Charlie Hebdo thread.

This guy would be right at home.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Radicalized youth, an eternal problem.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"Edwadian"?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Slavvy posted:

"Edwadian"?

Woe be to England's troubled youth

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah that's Edwardian. What's Edwadian?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Slavvy posted:

Yeah that's Edwardian. What's Edwadian?
A misspelling.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wheeee posted:

Yea but proselytizing for your dumb cult/eating disorder works better when you lean on manipulating people's emotions and their general ignorance of food production.

What are you going to do with this? Build a temple or something?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

A pyramid.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wolfsbane posted:

A pyramid.

That is so much loving food. Here is half a cup of grains.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Wolfsbane posted:

A pyramid.

Where's the B12 supplements? Hope they enjoy their brain literally decaying.

Also that's a hell of a lot of grains and fruits grown using petrochemical-intensive industrial agriculture and deforestation combined with slave labour, respectively. Not exactly healthy for you or the planet, but hey, who cares because meat is literally murder or something!

Veganism is the libertarianism of the agricultural/nutrition world: Attacking a legitimate problem (Industrial agriculture/corporate-owned government) with bad science, emotional pleading, insane axiomatic thinking and cult-like proselytizing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Wolfsbane posted:

A pyramid.

There's just one thing I don't understand, Dr. Manson. How does a growing boy like me eat a healthy and balanced diet?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Meat is murder!*

*: only adorable animals matter

They should genetically engineer cattle/pigs with an extremely repulsive appearance for every stage of their life cycle so people shut up.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Slavvy posted:

Meat is murder!*

They should genetically engineer cattle/pigs with an extremely repulsive appearance for every stage of their life cycle so people shut up.

quote:

[Ford] sat down.

The waiter approached.

"Would you like to see the menu?" he said, "or would you like meet the Dish of the Day?"

"Huh?" said Ford.

"Huh?" said Arthur.

"Huh?" said Trillian.

"That's cool," said Zaphod, "we'll meet the meat."

A large dairy animal approached Zaphod Beeblebrox's table, a large fat meaty quadruped of the bovine type with large watery eyes, small horns and what might almost have been an ingratiating smile on its lips.

"Good evening," it lowed and sat back heavily on its haunches, "I am the main Dish of the Day. May I interest you in the parts of my body?"

It harrumphed and gurgled a bit, wriggled its hind quarters in to a more comfortable position and gazed peacefully at them.

Its gaze was met by looks of startled bewilderment from Arthur and Trillian, a resigned shrug from Ford Prefect and naked hunger from Zaphod Beeblebrox.

"Something off the shoulder perhaps?" suggested the animal, "braised in a white wine sauce?"

"Er, your shoulder?" said Arthur in a horrified whisper.

"But naturally my shoulder, sir," mooed the animal contentedly, "nobody else's is mine to offer."

Zaphod leapt to his feet and started prodding and feeling the animal's shoulder appreciatively.

"Or the rump is very good," murmured the animal. "I've been exercising it and eating plenty of grain, so there's a lot of good meat there."

It gave a mellow grunt, gurgled again and started to chew the cud. It swallowed the cud again.

"Or a casserole of me perhaps?" it added.

"You mean this animal actually wants us to eat it?" whispered Trillian to Ford.

"Me?" said Ford, with a glazed look in his eyes, "I don't mean anything."

"That's absolutely horrible," exclaimed Arthur, "the most revolting thing I've ever heard."

"What's the problem Earthman?" said Zaphod, now transferring his attention to the animal's enormous rump.

"I just don't want to eat an animal that's standing there inviting me to," said Arthur, "It's heartless."

"Better than eating an animal that doesn't want to be eaten," said Zaphod.

"That's not the point," Arthur protested. Then he thought about it for a moment. "Alright," he said, "maybe it is the point. I don't care, I'm not going to think about it now. I'll just... er [...] I think I'll just have a green salad," he muttered.

"May I urge you to consider my liver?" asked the animal, "it must be very rich and tender by now, I've been force-feeding myself for months."

"A green salad," said Arthur emphatically.

"A green salad?" said the animal, rolling his eyes disapprovingly at Arthur.

"Are you going to tell me," said Arthur, "that I shouldn't have green salad?"

"Well," said the animal, "I know many vegetables that are very clear on that point. Which is why it was eventually decided to cut through the whole tangled problem and breed an animal that actually wanted to be eaten and was capable of saying so clearly and distinctly. And here I am."

It managed a very slight bow.

"Glass of water please," said Arthur.

"Look," said Zaphod, "we want to eat, we don't want to make a meal of the issues. Four rare stakes please, and hurry. We haven't eaten in five hundred and seventy-six thousand million years."

The animal staggered to its feet. It gave a mellow gurgle. "A very wise choice, sir, if I may say so. Very good," it said, "I'll just nip off and shoot myself."

He turned and gave a friendly wink to Arthur. "Don't worry, sir," he said, "I'll be very humane."

It waddled unhurriedly off to the kitchen.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Ahmed Merabet, the first person to be killed in Paris today

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Slavvy posted:

"Edwadian"?

To be fair, the Brits don't really use their Rs much.

http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/02/10/the-forgotten-1950s-girl-gang/

Slavvy posted:

Meat is murder!*

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Times like this I'm ashamed to be left-leaning. I know it's just a vocal minority, but still, ugh.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

Times like this I'm ashamed to be left-leaning. I know it's just a vocal minority, but still, ugh.

that first one is actually entirely correct.

http://o.canada.com/news/blog-news/charlie-hebdo-massacre-573543
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/01/charlie-hebdo-islamophobia/

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

No it is not.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Watching DnD fall all over itself to blame the victims and call for restrictions on free speech in reaction to a couple of madmen murdering 12 people in cold blood has been one of the funnier moments that I've enjoyed on something awful dot com.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Those On My Left posted:

that first one is actually entirely correct.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

http://fredrikdeboer.com/2015/01/07/on-debating-dead-moral-questions/

quote:

That’s what’s happening today in regards to the terrorist attacks in France. We are having a series of loud, impassioned, righteous conversations about questions like “Should people murder?” and “Should we have the right to publish cartoons?” We’re debating, in other words, dead moral questions, and for the same reason we always do: because that debate allows us to ignore the ones that might lead us to a different place than the celebration of our own liberal righteousness. To read the people writing about this attack, this is the fundamental question at hand: were these killings OK? If that were actually a moral question worth asking, then it would provoke disagreement. And yet I see no disagreement. None at all. Please: point me to any piece that endorses these killings that does not come from the looniest fringes of our political order. This Jacobin piece is getting passed around as an example of left-wing illiberalism, and yet in its very first paragraph, it asserts what absolutely everyone else is asserting: that there are no justifications for this, that the attacks are abhorrent, that free speech must be defended. Please, point me in the direction of a defense of these attacks that is anything resembling prominent or empowered. You are all debating an idea that no one at all is advancing.

The question of the price that Muslims will pay for these attacks– that is a live question, the security and rights of the Muslim people is very much uncertain, indeed. If there is anything that this country has stood for in the last 15 years, it is its willingness to sacrifice anything to fight Muslim extremism, and in the process, innocent Muslims. We have invaded multiple Muslim countries, sent secret raids into far more, killed Muslims with drones and bombs, wiretapped Muslims at home and abroad, sent agents to infiltrate their mosques, thrown dozens of them into a prison camp without trial or judicial review, assassinated them without due process, tortured them, and spent billions of dollars and thousands of lives in doing so. Of all the things that you should fear your government will lose the resolve to do, fighting Muslim terrorists should be at the absolute bottom of your list. There is no function that our government has performed more enthusiastically for years. Can any credible person doubt our commitment to fighting Muslim terrorists, in 2015?

Peter Beinart and Ross Douthat and Jon Chait and hundreds more will take the time in the week to come to beat their chests and declare themselves firmly committed to brave ideas like “murder is bad” and “free speech is good.” None of them, if pressed, would pretend that we are at risk of abandoning our commitment against murder or in favor of free speech. None of them think that, in response to this attack, we or France or any other industrialized nation is going to pass a bill declaring criticism of Islam illegal. In fact, all of them would, if pressed, likely admit that the result will be literally the opposite: that we will become more belligerent against Muslim extremism, not less; that we will become more aggressive in our posture against Islam, not less; that the public mood, already dark towards Islam, will grow only darker. They know all of this. They simply won’t tell you about it.

lucky13pjn
Sep 13, 2007
Really lazy bastard
Spotted this in an episode of Pingu. Wasn't expecting political messages there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

That Jacobin piece is really odd and disjointed & stinks of trying to be the bestest leftist without saying very much at all, to me.

http://www.juancole.com/2015/01/sharpening-contradictions-satirists.html

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Exclamation Marx posted:

That Jacobin piece is really odd and disjointed & stinks of trying to be the bestest leftist without saying very much at all, to me.

http://www.juancole.com/2015/01/sharpening-contradictions-satirists.html

it's pretty straightforward

1) these murders are atrocious
2) the magazine was racist

there is no contradiction in saying both those things

you can support freedom of speech without supporting every instance of speech itself

you can be opposed to these murders without literally saying I Am <racist publication>

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Those On My Left posted:

you can support freedom of speech without supporting every instance of speech itself

you can be opposed to these murders without literally saying I Am <racist publication>

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

lucky13pjn posted:

Spotted this in an episode of Pingu. Wasn't expecting political messages there.

Why do so many people think I'm clever enough or smart enough to discern what an image means or what something in non-English text says? I'll admit I'm dumb and read this thread. Can you, and other people who post vague or no context images, do me the favor of explaining poo poo for me? Presumably that says something like Russia and freedom or whatever, but I don't want to guess

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

yes, if all you want to do is sit around saying "MURDER BAD, NO ONE SAY ANYTHING ELSE", go ahead, you're being very righteous and making an important contribution

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Those On My Left posted:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

that is a pretty excellent image to post to prove the point that you can support freedom of expression without supporting every expression ever

because wow i'd hate to be the puerile idiot who thought that was a great and vital piece of speech, worthy of identifying with by saying "I Am <the publication who printed this as their front page>"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Those On My Left posted:

that is a pretty excellent image to post to prove the point that you can support freedom of expression without supporting every expression ever

because wow i'd hate to be the puerile idiot who thought that was a great and vital piece of speech, worthy of identifying with by saying "I Am <the publication who printed this as their front page>"

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Those On My Left posted:

"I tried to show in it into what horrible excesses fanaticism, led by an impostor, can plunge weak minds."- Voltaire

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 8, 2015

lucky13pjn
Sep 13, 2007
Really lazy bastard

N. Senada posted:

Why do so many people think I'm clever enough or smart enough to discern what an image means or what something in non-English text says? I'll admit I'm dumb and read this thread. Can you, and other people who post vague or no context images, do me the favor of explaining poo poo for me? Presumably that says something like Russia and freedom or whatever, but I don't want to guess

It says Perestroika (almost) and Glasnost, so good guess. Odd thing to see in a children's cartoon which ordinarily goes to great lengths to avoid using real languages (spoken or written).

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Those On My Left posted:

yes, if all you want to do is sit around saying "MURDER BAD, NO ONE SAY ANYTHING ELSE", go ahead, you're being very righteous and making an important contribution

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

N. Senada posted:

Perestroika and glasnost. Not sure what the message of the cartoon is though.

E; F, B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I mean it when I say thanks to both of you for the explanation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread