Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

had lunch with some grandpas and my girlfriend

left with this

as someone who went to high school there, sorry you had to venture into Davie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
by the way for you shortwave nerds here is a really neat thing that would a: be a good kit to build and b: really help your shortwave reception

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Set-1-30-...=item541213b2f3

ive noticed these kits popping up (ebay search 'antenna tuner kit') and they look pretty nice. they say they handle up to 5 or 10 watts, i wouldnt trust them for more than a couple depending on the load, _buuuuut_ they would be very useful as a matcher/preselector for a shortwave receiver.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

by the way for you shortwave nerds here is a really neat thing that would a: be a good kit to build and b: really help your shortwave reception

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Set-1-30-...=item541213b2f3

ive noticed these kits popping up (ebay search 'antenna tuner kit') and they look pretty nice. they say they handle up to 5 or 10 watts, i wouldnt trust them for more than a couple depending on the load, _buuuuut_ they would be very useful as a matcher/preselector for a shortwave receiver.

It's for QRP so low power anyway, right?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
right. they're using those little AM radio caps there, that's the power limiting thing.

thing is you gotta be careful with a tuner, even at one watt or so if you're trying to match a half wave antenna, for example, you can get scary high voltages at the antenna terminals, that can break down those caps pretty quick

E: my 13.560 beacon is starting to come together a bit. I think it is going to use an end-fed half wave, with the matching network and everything built right into the case. Why? This allows me to build a beacon that's basically "a box with one long wire running out of it", and if I get it thrown up in a tree 50 feet up, the antenna will trail down and hang nicely. no way i could do that with an attached dipole. Also halfwaves have really good radiation patterns, and we might get some long distance signal reports if we can get a good pattern out of the antenna. Solar power at the top should keep it running for a long time.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 3, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hey longview what's the lockup time on that dds when you change frequency? I noticed that these are loaded with a frequency and a phase word, that means we could load two different values at the right time and transmit slow speed PSK. thoughts?

e: ok psk31 uses a raised cosine filter for amplitude for those nice round edges. not really possible without having a shaping amp after the generator.

BUT

look at this

rtty with no problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YQe8AYZBQM

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 3, 2015

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
you might be able to just increment/decrement the phase register to modulate the phase, depends how glitchy the synth is when changing phase

not sure if that will let you generate PSK31 since you'd have to modulate the amplitude of the signal as well...

generating normal FSK or MSK might work though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
by the way i have decided my primary radio-buyin' goal this year is to get an FT-817 in the spring.

the form factor is too awesome, 2 watts/5 watts is all I need for my digital fun as I have the 735 for 150watt SSB stupidity, and I would rather have a 5 watt radio I can backpack up to the top of a mountain than a 100 watt radio that I can't drag up there.

I wish Icom made an equivalent model, but I won't buy a micro rig without 2m/70cm so the 703+ is out.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
if the FT-817 came with li-po batteries and a built in tuner it would be perfect (also, it would be the FT-897 i guess)

i kind of want the IC-7200, but i also don't like not having a built in antenna tuner

vertex standard has this thing: http://www.vertexstandard.com/lmr/HF-Radios/VX-1210
which has all that but afaik it's channelized and not really appropriate for ham radio use, it's more of a commercial/mil thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
last night i was webradioing pretty hard and found a guy on the west coast with a full size 160/80/60 meter fan dipole hanging up.
I heard my first pirate beacon! 2097 khz (give or take a few), transmits a slow "A" every ten seconds. Supposedly it's somewhere in the Mojave with about 10-15 watts.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
are either the bladerf or hackrf worthwhile? theres a couple neat things i seen regarding the blade and i have spare money in the radio budget so i figured it would give me something to do

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes i have a hackrf it is pretty god drat fun

chams: humping 10m beacons today. also 11m freeband. oh and there was a nice 20 minute monologue by some guy on 27.385 LSB about how hams were all pussy bitches that paid for their tests because at the exams HE went to, you could pay the guy $200 to just sign it, and then he proceeded to sing all of "White Christmas" very badly. radio owns

10 meters seems particularly open to florida/southeast and the rust belt today. It's neat to switch between the 1/4 wave whip-and-ball-mount versus the 17 foot vertical + tuner, very obvious how the big half wave or whatever has a lot of low angle compared to the 1/4 wave

the open-to-the-east thing is funny because our lot is basically adjoining a 15 foot climb up a steep hill to the east. everything that direction is shielded by dirt lol.

i expect california to open the f up in a few

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i have a bladeRF and it's ok, probably gonna have to get a PC with a modern USB 3 controller and CPU to really make use of it though, it's more of an experimentation tool than a radio

windows drivers used to crash a bit, but they seem to have fixed that now, playing with gnuradio is fun

i still plan to get the transverter board eventually which might make it more interesting to use since then i can experiment with HF transmissions and such

couldn't tell you which is better, the hackrf might be a better choice depending on what you want to do

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hopped on 146.52 while I was tuning up the icom and heard a guy calling CQ, which was weird

he was up on panorama peak in estes park, 10k feet and 50 miles away. solid signal both sides with 5 watts (i was pulled back to min, maybe 3-4 actually)

this tram dual band antenna is impressing me more and more all the time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bout to head to rat shack for a 5-pin DIN (they mate with 7's/8's on the first 5) and a couple transformers, i want to get on PSK31 with this gd macbook

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i have no idea what's going on in this thread but did anyone read my antenna post? i just put it in the basement and aim it at a wall that i assume everything is reflecting off of and i get most of the channels i want.

also my paperclip fm radio antenna is still going strong.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if your antenna works pointed at a dumb thing, go ahead and use it

ive seen poo poo work in the dumbest situations and well just run with it

you cant blow anything up just receiving

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
radio waves are neat i can see why y'all sperg out about them :shobon:

it's funny and cool that i aimed a directional antenna at like a 120 degree angle away from the broadcast source and reception improved substantially

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

there's probably a real good explanation involving physics & science & poo poo but damned if i know

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

hopped on 146.52 while I was tuning up the icom and heard a guy calling CQ, which was weird

he was up on panorama peak in estes park, 10k feet and 50 miles away. solid signal both sides with 5 watts (i was pulled back to min, maybe 3-4 actually)

this tram dual band antenna is impressing me more and more all the time

ive got a tram in the suburban, i like it a lot. ive been thinking about that base antenna u've got on the hausbus and putting it on an old directv mount on my roof. I'd have to do some sort of lightning protection tho and get a bunch of coax so idk, prob not worth it atm, id rather save up for hf stuff

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

spankmeister posted:

there's probably a real good explanation involving physics & science & poo poo but damned if i know

the physics guys at work always talk about diffraction effects, might be familiar from optics, afaik the principle's the same and radio waves hitting edges tend to make diffraction patterns

of course reflections while simple in theory quickly become unmanageable when working in real environments too

going into edge case stuff it's also possible that pointing a beam antenna at a fairly local tower can overload receivers or amplifiers in the signal chain which will severely affect linear modulations like OFDM (european DVB-T for example)
hitting it on a side lobe of the antenna would reduce the input signal

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Palace of Hate posted:

digital mode dogs

I really, really need to get my General

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i bought a new soldering iron and a couple trimpots and am gonna build a new interface cable thingy so that I can properly PSK31 and SSTV

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and a solar storm has COMPLETELY wiped out HF

I heard local CB, weak WWV down low and that was it. wow this is weird

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

and a solar storm has COMPLETELY wiped out HF

I heard local CB, weak WWV down low and that was it. wow this is weird

the end times are apon us

at least we won't have to hear the radio preachers and nutjobs when it happens

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
listening to the local repeater on my roommate's baofeng

“asking about shirt size”

“make it *ppbbbttttttt* x-x-l, that’s two-ex-ell, i’m a bit on the chubby side”

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep 2 meter propagation is fuckin weird right now

look at australia (this is an APRS map)

that long line is about 800 mi/1300 km

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

i got a real faint signal day before yesterday on the local SD with same pl tone or w/e that was def not local SD repeater. hmmery

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
'hey i know, i'll radio reference the frequency and see what comes up'

NOTE: This section (Searching for Identified Frequencies) is available only to Premium Subscribers of the Web site

:smith:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

'hey i know, i'll radio reference the frequency and see what comes up'

NOTE: This section (Searching for Identified Frequencies) is available only to Premium Subscribers of the Web site

:smith:

get it from the source

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp

punch in freq, hit geosearch, enter your coords (yes its a horrible federal government web site but it works)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
jonny a bunch of people are sending me $2 pay pals with their call letters and stuff what is happening

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

get it from the source

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp

punch in freq, hit geosearch, enter your coords (yes its a horrible federal government web site but it works)

Ty I'll check this out on a not iPad later

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Jonny 290 posted:

idk what makes that radio pattern, as i only have my general. but if god had a chode and rubbed it on the ionosphere, wouldn't it look like that?

also, i just got my general, and i'm too scared to talk on my baofeng until i get the etiquette down, so i'm evesdropping my local greybeards to see the general pattern. nothing too crazy. "i need to go in five minutes, actually, maybe sooner. i gotta change my shirt. actually it's late, nobody will care. nobody ever cares." :negative:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

TVarmy posted:

idk what makes that radio pattern, as i only have my general. but if god had a chode and rubbed it on the ionosphere, wouldn't it look like that?

also, i just got my general, and i'm too scared to talk on my baofeng until i get the etiquette down, so i'm evesdropping my local greybeards to see the general pattern. nothing too crazy. "i need to go in five minutes, actually, maybe sooner. i gotta change my shirt. actually it's late, nobody will care. nobody ever cares." :negative:

i'm doing the same thing until my tech comes through, turns out there's a whole family of hams, including literal children :3

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?463445-Five-Year-Old-Passes-Technician-Examination

Go pass the GD test already, those of you who haven't.

---

I got 2 things in today: a new rubber duck for my scanner so I can carry it around, and a 5 volt usb to serial adapter. icom used a 1 wire addressable TTL serial bus on their 80s and 90s rigs, you literally just tee them all up with 1/8" mono cables, hook rx *and* tx of the serial to the hot line, ground to ground. set radio addresses and it Just Works

though the software is *awful*. i almost want to create a native os x app for radio control now. or at least a neat curses thing with figlet frequency readout

---
rotor what the gently caress uhh i have no idea????

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
maybe ur PayPal is similar to a club or something and it's their way of keeping track of who has paid dues? or same thing but dude selling a thing?

also kid ham owns would love to see kids pick up this hobby

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

rotor what the gently caress uhh i have no idea????

quote:

[callsign] qsoed with [callsign]. qso data; date~15 dec.2014 23:13z freq.~ 10.1 mhz mode~cw rst~ 599 599 tks qso, cu agn 73! de [callsign]

im gettin hamspammed here, I may actually have enough of thse $2 things to make it worth my time to reg a paypal account, I think I have at least 15 or so.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

im gettin hamspammed here, I may actually have enough of thse $2 things to make it worth my time to reg a paypal account, I think I have at least 15 or so.

have you worked CW on 10.1mhz?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
u think its for qso cards?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sniep posted:

have you worked CW on 10.1mhz?

oh I've worked it all right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU