Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Vegetable Melange posted:

He is not kidding, those are some of the more accurate tasting notes I've seen for the single village stuff.

PS Vida did not bring the customary bottle for the batch kitchen at Speed Rack this year, so I'm only drinking Fidencio until they rectify their mistake. (I am kidding).

PPS Chici supremacy, bitches.

Boy am I confused then! Are these....desirable tastes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Muthspiel
Aug 1, 2008
I would say that those are some of the tasting notes unique to mezcal or smokey spirits . I wouldn't say its the most endearing descriptor i've ever read. Mezcal is no different to peaty whiskey being described as medicine box, leather, tar, seaweed. Generally smokey flavours have negative connotations, no one actually likes the taste of tar or burnt toast. Of course those are picked up by some people and they may be a majority flavour/scent but these Mezcals have fruits, spices, herbs, foods and everything else the individual thinks they can taste. It's less approachable than almost anything save peaty scotch but its got incredible depth just like whisky, cognac etc.

The Del Maguey and El Jolgordio ranges are extremely good and anyone who is looking for a unique spirit shouldn't overlook them.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Sipping spirits is about having a unique and exciting experience. It's truly astonishing what can be generated in the process of creating a fine spirit. These mescals are a wonderful expression of the difference in agave species and the climatic factors around the village. So what if the Santa Domingo tastes like a medicine cabinet made out of tires – that's an amazing experience to derive from sipping an ounce or two of clear liquid.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Now that it's punch season again, I'm trying to use up the contents of my girlfriend's liquor cabinet before she moves to Berlin. Cumulatively, she has about 750ml of whiskies, including Jameson, Maker's, and some Stagg Cherry Bourbon, so I'm looking at a whiskey punch and chose the "Old Reliable" out of the Searing recipe book. Basically just whiskey, grapefruit peels and juice, sugar, and sparkling water. I was a bit disappointed that the book doesn't really buy into the whole oloesaccharum thing, which I'm a huge fan of, so I've got my zested peels sitting on a bed of sugar right now to leach out the citrus oils.

It calls for adding grapefruit juice, but has anyone else found that grapefruit can make a really watery punch? I tried a red grapefruit and bourbon punch a few years back, and it felt like the grapefruit just didn't have a dense enough flavor. This time I'm going to try simmering the water out of the juice to get a reduction/syrup, and also have some store-bought juice to add in a pinch, since it seems less-watery than fresh squeezed.

Don't heat the grapefruit, it'll cook the flavors. Supplement with a bit of lemon juice for structure. Grapefruit just isn't beefy enough to play with sugar and spirits all by itself.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
How would you guys get rid of 3 bottles of http://www.marketviewliquor.com/product/d-collection-diamond-5-star-armenian-brandy-750ml.html

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I've been making Japanese Cocktail #1s (using that version of Morgenthaler's orgeat recipe I think I posted about a little earlier, using roasted chestnuts) and they're really nice & easy IMO and a nice use for brandy

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Holy poo poo, it looks like VA is finally importing Carpano Antica.

Now, all I need is some money.

Where in VA are you? If you're near the NC border they can sell it here in beer & wine (like, not ABC/liquor) stores -- I think we classify vermouth differently than Yall do

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Paging Kenning to the thread!

I'm making your Pinkhouse Punch for a Christmas Eve party. One question: soda water or regular?

Thanks in advance.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

goferchan posted:

Where in VA are you? If you're near the NC border they can sell it here in beer & wine (like, not ABC/liquor) stores -- I think we classify vermouth differently than Yall do
Actually, I think they've recently relaxed some regulations regarding vermouth, because I've started seeing different brands of vermouth and fortified wine (like Dubonnet) in grocery stores. But ABC regulates exactly what brands come in, so every time I visit another state I try to visit a large liquor store to find weird liqueurs I can't get. Carpano Antica is just one I've never been able to find.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Wachter posted:

Paging Kenning to the thread!

I'm making your Pinkhouse Punch for a Christmas Eve party. One question: soda water or regular?

Thanks in advance.

I saw the punch signal.

Just go for still water. This is a quaffing punch.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Anyone have advice on cool things to make with forced carbonation equipment?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Kenning, you are punch Batman. Admittedly this was family rather than friends, but the Pinkhouse went down an absolute treat. Everybody who tried it went back for more, and I got repeated requests to do another for the next big family event. That poo poo is excellent. Thanks so much and merry Christmas!

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
So what is the general opinion on poprock candy/sweet cocktails. It os apparently popular with geeks.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

gyrobot posted:

So what is the general opinion on poprock candy/sweet cocktails. It os apparently popular with geeks.

Any examples? From googling, everything I'm seeing would be an unbalanced sugar bomb.

I find most "geek" cocktails (video games, superhero, ect) tend to be bad gimmicks for people who don't actually like liquor.

This is different from cocktail geeks (those who geek out on cocktails), who would obsess on phosphates and shrubs and carbonation gadgets. Those kinda geek cocktails are okay by me.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Wachter posted:

Kenning, you are punch Batman. Admittedly this was family rather than friends, but the Pinkhouse went down an absolute treat. Everybody who tried it went back for more, and I got repeated requests to do another for the next big family event. That poo poo is excellent. Thanks so much and merry Christmas!

:toot:

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Question on the Ramos Fizz! I had one of these at a pub here in Brisbane recently and I thought it was amazing. It had the consistency of a thick shaving cream, but had an amazing flavour to it.

I've now tried making my own version following the Diffordsguide recipe using the dry shake first and then adding a few 1 square inch ice cubes to finish the shake. I shook both times for a good couple of minutes, but still didn't end up with anything like the fantastic drink I was served at the pub. My drink was a lot thinner (more like a thinnish milkshake) and the egg didn't seem to have emulsified properly. I'm thinking next time I'll need to use heavy cream instead of single / pouring cream, and I might need to shake with just a single large ice cube instead of a bunch of them.

I also might try adding 2 ounces of cream instead of just the one.

If I actually need to shake for 12 full minutes, I'm going to need to muscle up.

There are so many variations out there when I google the recipe; from the amount of cream, to whether or not to tap the bottom of the glass, to adding the soda first and then the shaker contents, or the other way around- does anyone have a version (and technique) that works particularly well for them?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Bubz posted:

Question on the Ramos Fizz! I had one of these at a pub here in Brisbane recently and I thought it was amazing. It had the consistency of a thick shaving cream, but had an amazing flavour to it.

I've now tried making my own version following the Diffordsguide recipe using the dry shake first and then adding a few 1 square inch ice cubes to finish the shake. I shook both times for a good couple of minutes, but still didn't end up with anything like the fantastic drink I was served at the pub. My drink was a lot thinner (more like a thinnish milkshake) and the egg didn't seem to have emulsified properly. I'm thinking next time I'll need to use heavy cream instead of single / pouring cream, and I might need to shake with just a single large ice cube instead of a bunch of them.

I also might try adding 2 ounces of cream instead of just the one.

If I actually need to shake for 12 full minutes, I'm going to need to muscle up.

There are so many variations out there when I google the recipe; from the amount of cream, to whether or not to tap the bottom of the glass, to adding the soda first and then the shaker contents, or the other way around- does anyb,one have a version (and technique) that works particularly well for them?

I've actually used the Wikipedia recipe with great success. It's heavy on the cream, about 6cl, and lighter on the gin. It wasn't as thick as the one you described, but was thick enough for my liking. YMMV. You absolutely need to use heavy cream though. That alone will improve the drink a great deal. The dry shake is vital and should be for a good two and a half minutes atleast, but nothing crazier than that. As for the egg issues, whites have always seemed to be a gamble for me. I sometimes get those stringy egg bits that ruins everything :eng99: Perhaps someone else can help you there.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bubz posted:

jesus dude a pain shot through my arm just reading this

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
ISI whipper.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Heavy cream, no yolk in your whites, dry shake the poo poo out of it, and either add soda to the bottom of your serving glass or, my preference, to the top of the shaker tin right before straining. I've found that topping it with soda in the serving glass causes it to foam over

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

I made Boston Club Punch and Limmers Punch for the family at Xmas following your recipes, they were a big hit! Limmers was like a long Aviation, but the Boston won hands down with everyone. I followed Morganthaler's method for vacuuming peels for oleo saccharum which worked a treat.

Now I need to find a punch bowl and more excuses to use it. Do your ice blocks always float in your bowls or do you find a way to make them sink? Maybe freeze the punch bowl with the water in it?

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

George Zimmer posted:

I've actually used the Wikipedia recipe with great success. It's heavy on the cream, about 6cl, and lighter on the gin. It wasn't as thick as the one you described, but was thick enough for my liking. YMMV. You absolutely need to use heavy cream though. That alone will improve the drink a great deal. The dry shake is vital and should be for a good two and a half minutes atleast, but nothing crazier than that. As for the egg issues, whites have always seemed to be a gamble for me. I sometimes get those stringy egg bits that ruins everything :eng99: Perhaps someone else can help you there.

Thanks for the tips. I tried the Wikipedia recipe this afternoon, using 57% fat double cream and a single large ice cube for shaking the second time. The egg came out much better emulsified, but after a couple of minutes, the cream started to separate from the rest of the drink, leaving me with a large clump of cream sitting in a small bath of thin liquid (soda water?). I did add probably 3 ounces of soda water, I might ease up on the stuff next time - maybe that makes a difference.

This is a hard one to get right!

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Bubz posted:

Thanks for the tips. I tried the Wikipedia recipe this afternoon, using 57% fat double cream and a single large ice cube for shaking the second time. The egg came out much better emulsified, but after a couple of minutes, the cream started to separate from the rest of the drink, leaving me with a large clump of cream sitting in a small bath of thin liquid (soda water?). I did add probably 3 ounces of soda water, I might ease up on the stuff next time - maybe that makes a difference.

This is a hard one to get right!

I used only an ounce at most. It's a tough one, but it's worth it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
That seems like a ridiculous amount of cream. I just wouldn't want to drink that much of it. Think proportions - 6cL cream is almost as much as the sum of all of the other ingredients. Also 3 oz is a lot of soda, I'd start with 1 oz and work up. Granted, I'm no expert on this particular drink.

The recipe I've used is from the PDT book, which in turn cites Modern American Drinks (from 1895). The proportions just sound better on paper. But, most of the fun in making drinks is fiddling and finding the in between measurements that make it just right for you (like a long oz of lime and a short oz of agave in Tommy's Margarita for example).

From PDT:
2 oz Beefeater
.75 oz each heavy cream and simple
.5 oz ea lemon and lime
5 drops Marivani orange flower water (ok I use Fee's)
1 egg white
Top with 1 oz soda

Dry shaking is your friend - if using a Boston shaker setup, just make sure your pint and tin are aligned straight (rather than canted) so they don't come apart. Add the egg white and cream last. You could even try dry shaking it with the spring from your Hawthorne strainer in the mix (or a Blender Ball) to create some more friction. Bottom line...make 100 more until you figure it out!

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I was gonna say throwing the spring in for the dry shake does it for me, about a minute of that and then a quick normal shake on ice and they come out really nice

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

The Maestro posted:

From PDT:
2 oz Beefeater
.75 oz each heavy cream and simple
.5 oz ea lemon and lime
5 drops Marivani orange flower water (ok I use Fee's)
1 egg white
Top with 1 oz soda

Dry shaking is your friend - if using a Boston shaker setup, just make sure your pint and tin are aligned straight (rather than canted) so they don't come apart. Add the egg white and cream last. You could even try dry shaking it with the spring from your Hawthorne strainer in the mix (or a Blender Ball) to create some more friction.

Thanks for the suggestion! Tried all of this, and it looks like it's holding together much better than my previous fiasco. It still isn't quite as thick as the one I ordered in town, but I'm starting to think that maybe it isn't meant to be that thick. The texture in that thick drink was just awesome though. I'm going to have to ask the bartenders. If they tell me their secret, I'll be sure to share it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Bubz posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! Tried all of this, and it looks like it's holding together much better than my previous fiasco. It still isn't quite as thick as the one I ordered in town, but I'm starting to think that maybe it isn't meant to be that thick. The texture in that thick drink was just awesome though. I'm going to have to ask the bartenders. If they tell me their secret, I'll be sure to share it.

Awesome. Seriously, please do share any tips. You still could add more cream. I'm not sure what else would make it thicker.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fresh eggs?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Had the pleasure tonight of drinking a Corpse Reviver No. 2 in the Long Bar of the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai. It may be the most decadent cocktail experience I've ever had.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Had the pleasure tonight of drinking a Corpse Reviver No. 2 in the Long Bar of the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai. It may be the most decadent cocktail experience I've ever had.

Corpse revivers are one of my all time favorites. Now I really want one but I'm not drinking for January. :suicide:

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
So I’ve gone back to order a couple more Ramos Fizzes from the same place but none of the resulting drinks were quite as thick as that very first one I got. They’re much closer to my own attempts! Perhaps the thick fizz was a happy anomaly, doomed to be lost forever.

The more recent orders came out looking like this:

FWIW, the recipe these guys use is:

2 oz heavy cream
2 oz gin (Beefeater)
1 egg white
0.5 oz lime juice
0.5 oz lemon juice
Half a dozen drops of orange blossom water
0.5 or 1 oz of sugar syrup (momentary loss of concentration here!)

Then they dry shook with the Hawthorne spring for about a minute, filled with ice and shook hard for another minute. Double strain into glass, then rinse out the tin with soda water and add to glass.

Still, a much better result than when I ordered one off the menu in a different place on the weekend. I don’t even know what’s going on here:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Butch Cassidy left me hanging in TFR, so I'm asking here. What whiskey does the goon hivemind recommend for Boulevardiers?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Made a few punches for parties in the last few months. Among the odder was a "clean out the cabinets" mix that I think came out surprisingly well: pomegranate vodka, Japanase shochu, yuzu liqueur, apricot schnaps, with a good oleo saccharum made of cane sugar and blood-orange peels, and diluted with raspberry Earl Grey tea and a dash of orange bitters.

In any case, separate issue. I was doing a "Dry January" and promised myself I'd get a neat bottle of something after I succeeded. I really had my heart set on calvados, since I'm a cider fan overall (serious Continental stuff, not Rhino/Woodchuck). I went to a higher-end bottleshop in DC, and the guy there convinced me that all the calvados they had wasn't strongly apple-y, tasted more like brandy in general, so I bought a bottle of Leopold Bros. apple-flavored whiskey. It's pretty good and really apple-y, but I still feel a punk that I copped out and didn't get a proper apple-based spirit. Thing is, other than Laird's I haven't seen many US-made apple-based spirits in DC, so I checked out this list http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/...ndy-to-buy.html and might need to bug some family on the West Coast to pick up a bottle for me and set it aside for next Christmas.

God drat America and these ludicrous restrictions on inter-state hard liquour. Fuckin' Puritans and their turkeys and genocide and all...

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Butch Cassidy left me hanging in TFR, so I'm asking here. What whiskey does the goon hivemind recommend for Boulevardiers?

I like Evan Williams Single Barrel a lot and I've heard Elijah Craig 12 yr is great too

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I like old overholt. It's a rye but pretty mild and dirt cheap.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Leopold Bros. and turkeys and genocide

Leopold is pretty legit for a product with "flavored" in its name. You did good.

Also anyone teetering on the fence about seeking out good vermouth needs to do so. I just bought a little $6 bottle of Noilly Prat and it's good enough to drink solo, let alone in a Manhattan.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nicol Bolas posted:

Leopold is pretty legit for a product with "flavored" in its name. You did good.

Also anyone teetering on the fence about seeking out good vermouth needs to do so. I just bought a little $6 bottle of Noilly Prat and it's good enough to drink solo, let alone in a Manhattan.

Their peach whiskey is an amazing cordial.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Horn posted:

I like old overholt. It's a rye but pretty mild and dirt cheap.

I learned recently that Boulevardiers are made with bourbon and are called a 1794 if made with rye. That said, I think any of the standards would be perfectly fine (Buffalo Trace, EC12, Bulleit, OGD).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I made orange punch for my girlfriend's birthday party last night. Did a quadruple batch, and we pretty much finished it. Also had 2 magnums of cava.

I've spent all day recovering, but man that was a fantastic bowl of punch. I'm so jazzed I have a footed 16 quart bowl now.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have failed Gundad. :negative:

I like Wild Turkey 101 mostly because I already stock it as a good general use bourbon. A boulevardier already has a tonnof sugar, so I'd avoid the sweeter bourbons lile Maker's/Woodford and the campari/vermouth are potent so weaker bourbons like Old Crow get totally washed out.

And I personally don't care for rye in this application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I'm sure that this has been answered to death, but I'm unable to find it in the first or last few pages: What is your preferred mid-range gin for martinis? For gin/tonics? I tend to get Tanqueray as a "safe" pick, but I'd love to know if I'm missing out on something better by not spending the extra $10.