Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have a Fitbit question! I have never bought an exercise wearable and it looks like I'll probably end up with the Charge HR. My question is: what size should I go for? I looked on the website and it seems that I fall under a large (my wrist being a ghastly 7") but the extra large seems to start at 7.5". Do Fitbits run large or small? Would I be safe ordering the correct size, or will it end up being on the snugger side of things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I have a Fitbit question! I have never bought an exercise wearable and it looks like I'll probably end up with the Charge HR. My question is: what size should I go for? I looked on the website and it seems that I fall under a large (my wrist being a ghastly 7") but the extra large seems to start at 7.5". Do Fitbits run large or small? Would I be safe ordering the correct size, or will it end up being on the snugger side of things?

Pretty sure true to size, there is some overlap between sizes. Not to be mean but are you really overweight? As far as I can tell the XL is really for obese people with fat wrists, if your wrist has a normal taper it should be comfortable.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

Pretty sure true to size, there is some overlap between sizes. Not to be mean but are you really overweight? As far as I can tell the XL is really for obese people with fat wrists, if your wrist has a normal taper it should be comfortable.

Overweight but not obese! I am 5'11 and 190, I assumed the XL size would be way too large, however I read a review on Amazon about a guy who bought the large and ended up not being satisfied with it due to the fit and that has gotten me all turned around.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Overweight but not obese! I am 5'11 and 190, I assumed the XL size would be way too large, however I read a review on Amazon about a guy who bought the large and ended up not being satisfied with it due to the fit and that has gotten me all turned around.

Unless you have disproportionately large wrists, a large should fit you fine. I'm taller and fatter than you and a large fits me with several holes unused.

I'm not sure I really want it, though, since I really just do CrossFit, and it's more intended for straight cardio work.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Amazon sizing guidance is really, really flawed because delusional overweight people skew things even worse to vanity sizing. I bought a jacket a few weeks ago that almost every review said "Fits true to size", I bought small, it was comically large on me, like I looked like a kid playing dress up in Dad's clothing and while I a trim guy I'm not a twink or anything.

Honestly I can't imagine you needing the XL, they are seriously for really obese people, maybe a handful of bodybuilders, that's why they don't even carry them in store anywhere.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Well thanks for the good words, gents! You have put my mind at ease. Now, if you'll excuse me, I am off to order my toy!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I'm not sure I really want it, though, since I really just do CrossFit, and it's more intended for straight cardio work.

Not really, hold down the button until the timer shows up, it will start to track calories via heart rate and break out your workout on the website with a minute by minute heart rate. It took me a bit to figure that out.

That said this is the first time I have ever seen inaccuracy from my Fitbit, this was a treadmill run, walked 2:30, ran 5k in under 24:30, then walked over another mile on a steep incline yet it only registered 3.37 miles, it should be well over 4, the only thing I can think of is I had my hands on the handle bars on the really steep incline so maybe it didn't register a lot of that?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Well thanks for the good words, gents! You have put my mind at ease. Now, if you'll excuse me, I am off to order my toy!

Just FYI, Target had a shitload of them a few weeks ago, I'm sure they still do now that they are "officially" released and shipping in volume if you want an easier return if you concerned at all. But the L will fit.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

Not really, hold down the button until the timer shows up, it will start to track calories via heart rate and break out your workout on the website with a minute by minute heart rate. It took me a bit to figure that out.

That's pretty nice. I use a Polar chest strap when I run, but that's a pain. Maybe I'll upgrade from my Flex to the Charge HR...

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

the only thing I can think of is I had my hands on the handle bars on the really steep incline so maybe it didn't register a lot of that?

Every Fitbit wristband I've owned (Force, Flex) has been like that. I'll often take my kid out in a stroller for a walk; my usual route is about 4.5 miles, but if I've got the Fitbit on my wrist while pushing the stroller it registers maybe 1.5. I usually throw it in my pocket to get the full amount recorded but that's obvs not an option if you want the HR monitoring.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

kitten smoothie posted:

Every Fitbit wristband I've owned (Force, Flex) has been like that. I'll often take my kid out in a stroller for a walk; my usual route is about 4.5 miles, but if I've got the Fitbit on my wrist while pushing the stroller it registers maybe 1.5. I usually throw it in my pocket to get the full amount recorded but that's obvs not an option if you want the HR monitoring.

Give the stroller a good shove down the sidewalk and run after it! Problem solved!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
This looks like something some of you might want (not mine).

http://facerepo.com/app/faces/details/mgs-codec-animated-14a4fba19c5

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

butt dickus posted:

Alarm should just be "SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

butt dickus posted:

How long does it take to set that face on the watch? Because it's just a spinning circle for me.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Len posted:

How long does it take to set that face on the watch? Because it's just a spinning circle for me.
I don't have an Android Wear device, sorry.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Len posted:

just try reloading the face again.. it usually snaps right in

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Has anyone here gone through the recall process for the Fitbit Force? I held out on returning mine and just signed up for the refund kit since mine is starting to fall apart. I was curious what the turnaround time was for it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

Has anyone here gone through the recall process for the Fitbit Force? I held out on returning mine and just signed up for the refund kit since mine is starting to fall apart. I was curious what the turnaround time was for it.

My wife sent hers back this spring and it took 4-6 weeks to get the check. If you ever had a Force I think they also emailed you a 15% off coupon for their store that's good until the spring.

I got the rash before they recalled it, and after I emailed them, they overnighted me a check along with a SASE to send back the band. That was quite nicer.

Given how there are tons of people reporting their Forces are falling apart, and that they traced the rash back to the glue, I really wonder if there was some horrible variability in the amount of glue that went into each one. Maybe some folks, like me, got bands that had a poo poo-ton of glue and it was oozing out and causing rashes. Meanwhile others, like you and an officemate of mine, didn't get enough glue, and the things came right apart.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

butt dickus posted:

I think it's funny how it seems like so many of the people (Not so much here) talking about the 360 were like "I'm getting the 360 because it looks like a real watch :smug: " were the first to put the geekiest looking watch faces on it instead of tasteful analog ones..

Dude, you wanted the 360 because round LCDs are still exceedingly rare and as such it looks higher tech, it wasn't some super important personal style issue. It is just like how first green LEDs were on everything and then everything had blue LEDs, then everything had white LEDs and now no one gives a gently caress.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

butt dickus posted:

Oh my god, trying this when I get home.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

butt dickus posted:

I like how the Battery level is a ton easier to read then the drat time. on a watch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Three Olives posted:

I think it's funny how it seems like so many of the people (Not so much here) talking about the 360 were like "I'm getting the 360 because it looks like a real watch :smug: " were the first to put the geekiest looking watch faces on it instead of tasteful analog ones..

Dude, you wanted the 360 because round LCDs are still exceedingly rare and as such it looks higher tech, it wasn't some super important personal style issue. It is just like how first green LEDs were on everything and then everything had blue LEDs, then everything had white LEDs and now no one gives a gently caress.

I just think it looks neater than a square watch :shrug: I don't have ambient mode on anyway so unless I'm looking at the face people don't see it. Usually I rocked the digital face anyway.

I do dislike how small the hour number is though. It's a bit of a pain to read.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

No, round watches are better looking to some people. Sorry, I know you like some of the square ones, but to some people they're less attractive than round.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Thermopyle posted:

No, round watches are better looking to some people. Sorry, I know you like some of the square ones, but to some people they're less attractive than round.

But it's not OK to like things that other people don't like! Don't you understand that fundamental component of being on the Internet? Opinions are fact, but only when they're someone else's opinion!

I, uh. I use the Ingress Integrated Watch with my city-faction's logo.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTjVpCt-V70

Holy poo poo, if they can strike a deal with a carrier where this doesn't have to retardedly juggle two phone numbers and cost $10 a month like the stupid Samsung Watch phone go ahead and charge my credit card for it. God if this had working GPS tracking and a non-poo poo HR sensor I would pay $800 for it right now if the battery lasts a full day and they come up with a functional and stylish sports band so I could wear it running. Oh plus enough memory for Bluetooth headphones.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Three Olives posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTjVpCt-V70

Holy poo poo, if they can strike a deal with a carrier where this doesn't have to retardedly juggle two phone numbers and cost $10 a month like the stupid Samsung Watch phone go ahead and charge my credit card for it. God if this had working GPS tracking and a non-poo poo HR sensor I would pay $800 for it right now if the battery lasts a full day and they come up with a functional and stylish sports band so I could wear it running. Oh plus enough memory for Bluetooth headphones.

That looks pretty slick and I'm glad webOS is still getting some love

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Finally got my G Watch R and holy poo poo this thing is loving awesome ( having only had a regular tracker before ). I've probably spent more time messing around in Watchmaker and changing watch faces every 10 minutes than anything else. I swapped out the default band with this one and it looks killer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZBOWM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I even put a screen protector on it ( IQ Shield ) that actually IS optically transparent and doesn't seem to gently caress with the way the display looks.

There one thing I don't get though about Android Wear though:

There is no way to "uninstall" ONLY the Wear portion of an App. Ex. I have a Z2 but I don't use Walkman for music, I use Google Play Music. However I can't remove the Walkman app from the watch and I can't stop it from prompting every now and again that it can't find any locally stored music ( I've tried manually blocking it directly from the prompt and from the phone app and it still shows up, IDK ). Similarly there is a totally useless Amazon Wear app, like I'm going to search for stuff to buy or buy it from my watch, but it's still sitting on there and I can't get rid of it unless I uninstall the full android app ( which I actually do use ).

I assume at some point they will find a way to allow you to do a "partial" uninstall or something but just kind of weird you've just automatically got to have an app on your watch eating resources for no reason.

I have the mini Browser ( for fun ), mini launcher ( love it ) and Watchmaker. Are there any other "must have" apps right now? I know the ecosystem is tiny, just making sure I'm not missing something awesome that glanced over when looking at apps through wear.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

What's the best mini-launcher for Wear?

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Takoluka posted:

What's the best mini-launcher for Wear?

I don't know if there's more than one but I use: Wear Mini Launcher and it's great. You just swipe from the top left -> right ( which admittedly can sometimes cause issues if I actually just want to dismiss a card and I put my finger too high up ) to get the app list, then swipe left -> right again to get to quick settings ( brightness adjustment, turn off/on, silent mode, etc.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gonna have to check that out. Thanks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are there any alarm clocks that sync between my phone and watch? I'd like to be able to dismiss alarms from my watch and have them all set in one place instead of two.

Edit: watch is wear by the way

Len fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 9, 2015

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

TollTheHounds posted:

Finally got my G Watch R and holy poo poo this thing is loving awesome ( having only had a regular tracker before ). I've probably spent more time messing around in Watchmaker and changing watch faces every 10 minutes than anything else. I swapped out the default band with this one and it looks killer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZBOWM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I even put a screen protector on it ( IQ Shield ) that actually IS optically transparent and doesn't seem to gently caress with the way the display looks.

There one thing I don't get though about Android Wear though:

There is no way to "uninstall" ONLY the Wear portion of an App. Ex. I have a Z2 but I don't use Walkman for music, I use Google Play Music. However I can't remove the Walkman app from the watch and I can't stop it from prompting every now and again that it can't find any locally stored music ( I've tried manually blocking it directly from the prompt and from the phone app and it still shows up, IDK ). Similarly there is a totally useless Amazon Wear app, like I'm going to search for stuff to buy or buy it from my watch, but it's still sitting on there and I can't get rid of it unless I uninstall the full android app ( which I actually do use ).

I assume at some point they will find a way to allow you to do a "partial" uninstall or something but just kind of weird you've just automatically got to have an app on your watch eating resources for no reason.

I have the mini Browser ( for fun ), mini launcher ( love it ) and Watchmaker. Are there any other "must have" apps right now? I know the ecosystem is tiny, just making sure I'm not missing something awesome that glanced over when looking at apps through wear.

You can hide apps from mini launcher with the companion app. You just have to mark them as hidden under the behavior settings. It won't stop your walkman issue though.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

w00tazn posted:

You can hide apps from mini launcher with the companion app. You just have to mark them as hidden under the behavior settings. It won't stop your walkman issue though.

That's the thing I can't figure out, every time it pops up I DO block the Walkman app, yet every now and then it shows up again. Actually I just realized it's not "every now and then" it's whenever the watch loses connectivity to the phone - I'll get the alert from Phone FInder and shortly after the Walkman alert pops up. Maybe just something weird with Sony's flavour of kitkat/interaction with AW 5.0.1/The Walkman app in general on both platforms.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is a weird request, but can someone with a Fitbit talk me through a day/week/[length of time] period of using it? I got a Fitbit Flex for Christmas and don't know what to do with it. I already know generally how much I walk around during the day (a lot, at least at work), I sleep and eat well enough, and for my daily running I have a Garmin GPS watch for things like distance and pace. At the same time I'm kind of down with the metrics concept if I can get something useful out of it. Can anyone give me a case study. If I don't use it I would probably re-gift it to my fiancee since she wants one, but she would also ask me all these questions so I figured I should learn more first.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

That said this is the first time I have ever seen inaccuracy from my Fitbit, this was a treadmill run, walked 2:30, ran 5k in under 24:30, then walked over another mile on a steep incline yet it only registered 3.37 miles, it should be well over 4, the only thing I can think of is I had my hands on the handle bars on the really steep incline so maybe it didn't register a lot of that?

Anything on your wrist tracking "steps" is trying to interpret how you swing your arms with how much you step to figure out how far you've traveled. If you are locking your arm in some way, its not going to work properly.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper
I had two real benefits from the Fitbit flex. Silent alarm so i could wake up without disturbing the wife, and hooking it up to MyFitnessPal so it could adjust my calorie intake with an estimate amount burned by activity.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Dromio posted:

I had two real benefits from the Fitbit flex. Silent alarm so i could wake up without disturbing the wife, and hooking it up to MyFitnessPal so it could adjust my calorie intake with an estimate amount burned by activity.

How well does that silent alarm work? I wouldn't think it would wake me up.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The thing with Fitbit is you probably are not as active as you think you are. Maybe you are, most people aren't, for me a more arbitrary goal tends to get me more active about longer dog walks, walking instead of taking Uber/Lyft to the bar, etc.

If you are already running and use a GPS watch the Flex probably isn't for you, the Charge HR is probably a better fit you because it offers real time heart rate tracking during workouts.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
G Watch R question - I love the Always On screen, BUT, is there no way to adjust the amount of time before it goes into "Screen Saver" mode?

Most of the time I'm content with just that Always On screen but since the watch is so new to me I like seeing the "Main" screen to mess around, and it only stays active for like 5 seconds.

Ideally, I'd have it display the main watch face for ~15-20 seconds before going into Always On mode.

I didn't think these things were THAT new but it's impossible to google this poo poo because you get 10 pages of reviews and never any actual forum posts or anything. I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world with this question.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

I think it depends on the watchface. I use Watchmaker and it lets me set it from 3 to 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
It can depend on the watchface, but yeah using another app is what I ended up doing. I found StayLit Wear which can go up to 60 seconds. 5 seconds was always way too little.

Loving wear by the way. I got to play with a 360 and try it over the holiday, and grabbed myself an Asus Zenwatch last week.

e:

TollTheHounds posted:

I don't know if there's more than one but I use: Wear Mini Launcher and it's great. You just swipe from the top left -> right ( which admittedly can sometimes cause issues if I actually just want to dismiss a card and I put my finger too high up ) to get the app list, then swipe left -> right again to get to quick settings ( brightness adjustment, turn off/on, silent mode, etc.

Wear Mini Launcher should just be part of Wear. However, if you keep mis-swiping to get to it, you can change where the hotspot is to launch it.

booshi fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 11, 2015