Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

A_Raving_Loon posted:

With how fuel-flexible they are, some kinda scifi/videogame bullshit. But I'd guess they're intended to run on something resembling a wood gas generator. Flammables go in, what sounds like a janky combustion engine fires up.

Yeah, I was thinking just about the numbers. The wood gas generator actually sounds pretty plausible, though I imagine it'd be super large for the loads required in, say, a drill.

This pretty much lines up with my observation and expectations. So TL;DR is: boilers might have an actual 50% stated efficiency, but a burner inserter will still use much more coal for the same amount of "work" unless it idles a lot. Which makes sense, getting work out of heat is a hugely inefficient, meanwhile, electric devices these days easily have 95% or even more efficiency. There are some brushless motors at 98% even. Likewise, having a large power station that's specialized for converting heat into usable power will always be more efficient than firing things individually.

Lines up with reality pretty good. Well except the "heat extractor" oddity, but then again, this is early alpha. Maybe they'll eventually make it so 100 degrees is the base line for getting actual power out of steam, and hopefully also allow for closed loops.

Until your lubricant fails at ~450 degrees and your turbines melt :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Truga posted:

Yeah, I was thinking just about the numbers. The wood gas generator actually sounds pretty plausible, though I imagine it'd be super large for the loads required in, say, a drill.

This pretty much lines up with my observation and expectations. So TL;DR is: boilers might have an actual 50% stated efficiency, but a burner inserter will still use much more coal for the same amount of "work" unless it idles a lot. Which makes sense, getting work out of heat is a hugely inefficient, meanwhile, electric devices these days easily have 95% or even more efficiency. There are some brushless motors at 98% even. Likewise, having a large power station that's specialized for converting heat into usable power will always be more efficient than firing things individually.

Lines up with reality pretty good. Well except the "heat extractor" oddity, but then again, this is early alpha. Maybe they'll eventually make it so 100 degrees is the base line for getting actual power out of steam, and hopefully also allow for closed loops.

Until your lubricant fails at ~450 degrees and your turbines melt :v:

This would be worth adding even if only to make steam leaks a thing.

Bugs charge in, chew on pipes, get blasted by pressurised superheated steam.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I have fully embraced going completely nuts in this game.

Here is my current biggest factory. It's nice, almost everything is automatically manufactured, and fed into a logistics system.

But you know what? It could be better. I've built it up on a bus system, meaning that aside from liquids and a few esoteric recipes that require things like Coal and Stone, these two express belts keep the whole thing fed. I need to go bigger.

gently caress YOU, FERN GULLY, I NEED ORE. STRIP-MINING IS LOVE.

Processing ore on-site is for pussies who don't have adequate dedicated processing centers and then bring in the plates by train.

Eight belts for Copper and Iron. Yeah. That's the ticket.

Trains may be less efficient than blue belts, but getting a set-up like this working is infinitely more fun.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Breetai posted:

Trains may be less efficient than blue belts, but getting a set-up like this working is infinitely more fun.

Yeah, that's exactly what I've found..

I did one game where I just connected everything by belts and it just didn't feel as awesome as the game before where I built up this huge train network that fetched all resources to my main base.

The game also got a lot more boring since I didn't really use modules for anything besides oil. Turns out you don't actually need so many resources to keep your base going this way, if parts got rare, I just built new factories for them instead of upgrading assemblers or putting in modules.

So, yeah, next game I will probably try to do things a bit less pragmatically.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Wuntvor posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I've found..

I did one game where I just connected everything by belts and it just didn't feel as awesome as the game before where I built up this huge train network that fetched all resources to my main base.

The game also got a lot more boring since I didn't really use modules for anything besides oil. Turns out you don't actually need so many resources to keep your base going this way, if parts got rare, I just built new factories for them instead of upgrading assemblers or putting in modules.

So, yeah, next game I will probably try to do things a bit less pragmatically.

Production modules are essential to high-volume operations. You can get by without (and can even 'win' without missing them), but mass-producing RDs would be a chore without them. Since they slow things down so much, it's nice to have Speed Beacons nearby as well. If you're mass-producing them for RDs, you might as well plug them into your assemblers for the added benefit, no? 1 Speed/3 Production has an assembler run just a hair faster (105%) with a big boost in output (130%). That's 30% bonus output for absolutely no cost*! Then you can have your Consbots tear everything up when you're ready to win.

*Just like bitcoin

My current project ("How many RDs in 24 hours") is running 100 assemblers worth of chips (2 banks of 10 banks of 3/2 wire/chip) fed by 200 furnaces each iron/copper with trains, wholly separate from my science labs. I'm glad I took 'automate everything' to heart this time, as that turns out to be a HUGE number of inserters, belts and stuff. Who knew? Plus planting lines and lines of steams is just a click as well. Anti-laziness pays off. (Is there a word for anti-laziness? It's a new concept to me)

Anyway someone said I didn't have the Biggest Factorio and I think something broke in my brain. I'll share once its done. :frog:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Splode posted:

This would be worth adding even if only to make steam leaks a thing.

Bugs charge in, chew on pipes, get blasted by pressurised superheated steam.

gently caress turrets, steam defenses are the new big thing.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Ok, I never really thought in those dimensions.. Makes sense though, maybe I need to play a game longer instead of just abandoning it as soon as I got everything researched. ;)

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

So I know I can shift-click to place something, and construction bots will do it for you. Is there any way to do this without having at least one of that item in your inventory? Other than creating a blueprint for a single item. I just want to free a bunch of inventory space.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

So I know I can shift-click to place something, and construction bots will do it for you. Is there any way to do this without having at least one of that item in your inventory? Other than creating a blueprint for a single item. I just want to free a bunch of inventory space.

No.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The way I handle that usually is "Scroll all the way out and blueprint it from all the way over there, now I can place it here". You can clear blueprints by right-clicking on them; I usually end up with one blueprint that keeps getting recycled. (It costs a green chip to clear).

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
If you're making a factory with multiple input belts like I am, put one of these splitter formations in periodically throughout the line.

It's a load balancer that ensures that all 4 lanes are contributing equally to whichever lanes are outputting in front of it, which goes a long way towards ensuring that you're not wasting any lanes and that bottlenecks caused by drained lanes don't occur.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Strategically played splitters are a goddamn godsend for ensuring even distribution of stuff going along belts.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Breetai posted:

Processing ore on-site is for pussies who don't have adequate dedicated processing centers and then bring in the plates by train.

Ended up having to expand this processing areas. Protip: if each of the two blocks of furnaces you see there is 14*8 for a 4-carriage train (or 28 furnaces per carriage/Express Belt line), that's just enough to process the full output of the train station given 8 unloading crates per carriage being evenly balanced into each line, with a slight tendency to build up a backlog of raw ore (at about 2/minute/line). (Discounting modules effects, in this case.)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Working on Evilreaver's The Big Factory

I'm now at the 15 hour mark, of 24, roughly 400-500 L3 modules made (hard to tell exactly, they're all slotted into things to MAKE GO FASTER)

Preview:

Plus 3 sets of 10 offscreen, 380 total. Roughly 193 Mw.

It seems like the longhands that pass fuel up the line bug out with this many, and especially seem to lose interest in doing their goddamn job if one or two lines run low. I was hoping to avoid using solar since green chips are only for red chips. :arghfist:

E: Did you know you can run Very Rich nodes out of ore???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Evilreaver posted:

It seems like the longhands that pass fuel up the line bug out with this many, and especially seem to lose interest in doing their goddamn job if one or two lines run low. I was hoping to avoid using solar since green chips are only for red chips. :arghfist:

Yeah, I ran across this as well.

It seemed to me that the inserters try to act intelligently, and will only take fuel from one boiler to give to another if the recipient needs fuel at that that moment, rather than keeping five units in it at all times.

Maybe you’re right and it’s just a bug. Either way, it was unsuitable for my purposes.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

20 hour mark, decided to tear my base apart to see how many modules I've made. Good thing I left Construction bots on repeat.

Enough for 12 Rocket Defenses... plus 478 more Productions 3s than Speed3s :aaa: Woops!

When I finished researching Drones 20, I tore apart my science labs so the base is much less interesting, but I kept a save of it so the final rundown will have all the pretty pictures :pcgaming:
I'm not proud of this run, around the 15 hour mark I got lazy and stopped improving production. Oil is the big limiter, it turns out, way too much trouble to duplicate labs endlessly, and feed them plastic.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
THE BUS is ready.

THE BUS is an infinitely expandable factory bus that provides every major component and resource that can't be manufactured in an assembler, plus a couple of lines for items that are required in bulk (chips). This is the root system of THE BUS, the factory proper begins with everything north of where it currently terminates.

THE BUS is expandable: here's a detail of how it expands. Materials originating in THE BUS flow outward, materials that become part of THE BUS flow inward, meaning that I can just keep on plopping down more and more assemblers in the same pattern when demand exceeds supply (I'll also balance belts once throughput becomes an issue)

THE BUS is love. Here's everything it provides. Coal, bricks, stone, green circuits, red circuits, sulfuric acid, lube, petroleum gas, and 4 blue lines each of copper plates and iron plates. Anything else is better to manufacture on demand in clusters of assemblers. Liquids are manufactured in a separate mini-factory near my main refinery. I will eventually have automatic assembly of every item in the game, with finished components being dumped into Provider Chests to provide 100% on-demand supply of everything in the game.

ALL HAIL THE BUS. ALL. HAIL.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
You can get more out of those chip factories by having the chips exit the sides and undergroundbelt them to your bus-- you don't want to have a single red inserter be your bottleneck :eng101:
Plastic Chemlabs are fast enough to use two Fast Inserters by default, too!

Evilreaver's The Big Factory, mark 1
How many Rocket Defenses can be built in 24 hours with High resources, peaceful mode

http://imgur.com/a/Bg3Tc

I was going to have a big writeup here but Imgur ate the first draft, had to quickly crap out descriptions and run. :argh:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 13, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Breetai posted:

ALL HAIL THE BUS. ALL. HAIL.

Welp, this post will come in handy in the future. :getin:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Thyrork posted:

Welp, this post will come in handy in the future. :getin:

Doing this has been an eye-opener with regards to how easy it is to organise stuff when you've got a good foundation. I've worked on it a bit more:

...and getting full automation of high-demand components is a cinch.

Storage and inserters - done.

All 4 types of smart chests and Steel chests as well, plus blue, red and green Inserters are available on-demand.

Mass Transit - done.

Everything to do with trains is now available, which means that thanks to blueprints I can now pretty much instantly carve out new rail networks for resource shipping wherever there's a logistics network.

Conveyers - done.

Red and Blue Conveyers, Splitters, and Underground Belts, all available through provider chests, and in a nice, compact area. Cog assemblers have L3 Speed Modules to keep up with demand.

Pipes and Engines - done.

Thanks to blueprints laying long underground pipelines is a breeze, and whenever I need more robots I've got a stack of 100 frames for immediate construction (I've decided not to automate robot construction just yet - I already have ~ 500 of each and am focussing more on getting the basics up before looking at exponential growth.

Having the ability to just branch off everything, and having Red Circuits available relatively early in the bus makes setting stuff like this up immeasurably easier. Everything's nice and compact, too, and once I've got assemblers, miners, and power grid components organised I'll be able to completely decommission my starting factory save for the research labs (still have about 10 follower robot research to complete at this stage, plus if future patches include more researchable tech I'll not have to dick around with setting it up again).

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
:siren:DO NOT UPDATE TO 0.11.12:siren:

Trains are busted. Your game will hardlock if you place trains/wagons on straight rail (placing on curved rail is safe).

If you don't care about trains then go ahead and update I guess

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Been playing some multiplayer recently. I decided to take on the task of laying out the smelting setup, and was kind of proud of the design I came up with.

Two input lanes for ore, and two full iron lines and two copper lines coming out. The ore comes in from below, through the center of the operation, so it is easy to expend to the left and the right without needing to reroute things. One electric furnaces come into play, we can add them by just removing the coal lines.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

This may be a dumb question likely with a simple answer.

Is there a way to quickly clear trees or must I click harvest all of them?

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

ModeSix posted:

If you've gotten far enough into the tech tree to have construction bots you can have them clear trees for you. Failing that you could always build a vehicle and go for a ride... :killdozer:

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

ModeSix posted:

You can use robots, or destroy them all with shotguns and grenades.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Mr Wikstroem posted:

If you've gotten far enough into the tech tree to have construction bots you can have them clear trees for you. Failing that you could always build a vehicle and go for a ride... :killdozer:

I've gotten into the bots (not on my current game though) how do I assign them to clear trees?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

ModeSix posted:

I've gotten into the bots (not on my current game though) how do I assign them to clear trees?

Use a deconstruction(red) blueprint to select areas of trees.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ModeSix posted:

Deconstruction planner

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Boogalo posted:

Use a deconstruction(red) blueprint to select areas of trees.

Thanks. I would have sworn I tried that a few patches ago (6-8 months ago) and it didn't do anything, guess I'll have to try it again.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Before bots, the best way is poison capsules.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I like the auto-shotgun. That's what I use to clear trees for yet more solars.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
How do you unscrew your drones after they picked something up?

I made the mistake of placing down a long term storage chest and every single logistics drone in the entire game picked up a random item and went for. Now they just linger on drone hives with their cargo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zephyrine posted:

How do you unscrew your drones after they picked something up?

I made the mistake of placing down a long term storage chest and every single logistics drone in the entire game picked up a random item and went for. Now they just linger on drone hives with their cargo.

Place more storage chests?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 19, 2015

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Place more storage chests?

But then they take everything from every single provider chest on the entire map and put it in the storage chests.

The machines then keep working until both the provider chests and the storage chests are full again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zephyrine posted:

But then they take everything from every single provider chest on the entire map and put it in the storage chests.

If you don’t want drones to move things to storage chests, you should be using passive rather than active provider chests.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Platystemon posted:

If you don’t want drones to move things to storage chests, you should be using passive rather than active provider chests.

What's the difference?

Edit: I see it now.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Alright I have now replaced every single active provider chest in the entire world with passive ones.

I double checked that it worked by placing down storage chests then seeing where the bots flew off to collect for them. Then I blew up the storage chests because I wasn't going to carry any of that stuff back. 25 full storage chests later by system is now fixed.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Zephyrine posted:

The machines then keep working until both the provider chests and the storage chests are full again.

secondly, use smart inserters to insert items into the drone network and limit them to a fixed amount of items in the network.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Dred_furst posted:

secondly, use smart inserters to insert items into the drone network and limit them to a fixed amount of items in the network.

That sounds like a lot of work. Right now my drone network is a big blob of some 3000 drones that do everything. I barely even have conveyor belts any more.

Every single mining drill drills straight into a provider chest. Drones then pick up the ore and bring it to a requestor chest. Inserters then put the ore on a conveyor down to 20 Furnaces and the refined metals go on a conveyor into 30 provider chests. The drones then take the metals from there to production.

The whole thing runs exclusively on solar power.

I want to add some trains but while trains are neat they are by no means efficient when compared to the drone horde. Plus setting up trains and expanding an existing route is a big bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Zephyrine posted:

That sounds like a lot of work. Right now my drone network is a big blob of some 3000 drones that do everything. I barely even have conveyor belts any more.

Every single mining drill drills straight into a provider chest. Drones then pick up the ore and bring it to a requestor chest. Inserters then put the ore on a conveyor down to 20 Furnaces and the refined metals go on a conveyor into 30 provider chests. The drones then take the metals from there to production.

The whole thing runs exclusively on solar power.

I want to add some trains but while trains are neat they are by no means efficient when compared to the drone horde. Plus setting up trains and expanding an existing route is a big bother.

It's really not so bad, when you put things into provider chests, use a smart inserter. that way you a) limit production and b) have a known stockpile to work with.