Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you still pay for features you aren't using

So, I should compile a custom kernel without all that garbage red hat enables by default?

edit:
The more poo poo work that can be shoved off under an abstraction layer the better. 99% of programmers are going to look at barfs and say "Thank god, I never have to worry about that tedious boiler plate bullshit ever again.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
mobe to bsd where we keep our system like the good ol' 70's

Live Operating system museum

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

keyvin posted:

Is it because if it wasn't in SYS V it wasn't canonical unix? Like the star wars expanded universe or fanfic or something?

Linux is SysV fanfic

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

keyvin posted:

So, I should compile a custom kernel without all that garbage red hat enables by default?

in particular, you pay for filesystem features in latency, bandwidth, storage overhead, and correctness

quote:

What are the crash guarantees of rename?

Renames NOT overwriting existing files do not give additional guarantees. This means, a sequence like
echo "content" > file.tmp
mv file.tmp file

# *crash*
will most likely give you a zero-length "file". The sequence can give you either
Neither file nor file.tmp exists
Either file.tmp or file exists and is 0-size or contains "content"

maybe it's okay for things like linux desktops or android phones where if you lose your animes you just restart the torrent and blame the glitchy rom you got from xda

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

keyvin posted:

your kernel should have stable APIs and leverage OO where it makes sense (say in drivers & storage management) so you don't even need to recompile if you want to use a feature, but if you don't it's not even loaded

of course this would enable closed-source drivers so it's important for the kernel to change things up a little every now and then (like the order of properties in some data structures).

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

maybe i am dumb but why would you want RAID in software ala ZFS or BTRFS all my servers have a hardware raid controller already

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because the cloud definitely doesnt exist and everyone runs everything on dells in a colo

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

so you run your software raid on your ec2 micro instance or whatever which is backed by SANs already in some kind of RAID like configuration? so the benefit is?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs is worth it

unfortunately you have to janitor it still. e.g. that freespace issue, and balancing, and scrubbing...

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'm sorry, I still can't imagine a statistically significant cost in a hypothetical bizarro world where you were forced to have just the poo poo needed to boot on barfs. I mean, now that we figured this out, can we just say barfs isn't canon?

eschaton posted:

SysV fanfic

Mods, can I get a user name change please?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

why is xfs better than ext4

or is this a greyforum q

it scales better than ext4, has roughly equivalent performance, and is imo more robust. I'm not one to sperg out about filesystems, but a few years ago I had an ext4 filesystem that blew up, wasn't able to fully repair it, reformatted it to xfs and have had zero issues since.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
last time i used XFS it would reliably zero out every file that was open in the event of a system crash.

then again this was back when kernel 2.4 was new, but it kind of left a sour taste in my mouth.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

You guys are doing a terrible job of selling me on linux. :colbert:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

so you run your software raid on your ec2 micro instance or whatever which is backed by SANs already in some kind of RAID like configuration? so the benefit is?

lol well before provisioned iops ebs and ssds, mdadm raid 10 was a gud way to get better disk performance for like databases

and anyway there is plenty of benefit. even if the ebs drive is in a filer ive still seen them get nuked. and raids are useful for lvm etc

pram
Jun 10, 2001
and oracle literally sells a $250k filer that is completely handled by zfs. its crap but i think youre understating the usefulness. this isnt 1998 where running software raid is an enormous performance hit

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pram posted:

lol well before provisioned iops ebs and ssds, mdadm raid 10 was a gud way to get better disk performance for like databases

Pram has discovered one weird trick to boost your io, find out why adaptec hates him.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
A few days ago i bought a pair of 1TB laptop sized NAS disks (this is apparently a thing) to put into the small linux that lives under my couch

turns out the small linux that lives under my couch can't use both of them at once, even though its mobo has two SATA ports. because i've also got an mSATA SSD installed in it and three SATA drives are just too much to handle man

:saddowns:

the other mini PCIe slot has a wifi card

turns out wifi doesn't work very well inside a case made of metal, although i managed to snake an external antenna out of the case so it works ok now i guess

mostly i keep it around as a monument to my shame

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 9, 2015

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
btrfs is great, i use it on everything, having boot-time snapshots of everything has come in handy more than once

software raid is great for single-machine filers, i really like the idea of rebuilding the data after a disk is replaced instead of rebuilding the entire block device containing a filesystem that might only be 30% used

srs question: bit flips in reading data are rare but can and do happen, what do you do with a RAID 1 where the two copies disagree? i assume most RAID 1 implementations just read one of the two copies to give any data the OS asks for but if you do a consistency check or something, what happens

with btrfs or zfs the answer is "the copy with the correct checksum is used to repair the other one" which is neato

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Tankakern posted:

btrfs is worth it

unfortunately you have to janitor it still. e.g. that freespace issue, and balancing, and scrubbing...

to be fair, scrubbing is just to detect hardware failures (e.g. unreadable sectors, sectors with bad checksums due to a flipped bit) earlier than you otherwise would

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
kind-of equivalent to 'echo check >> /sys/block/mdN/md/sync_action'

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr Dog posted:

last time i used XFS it would reliably zero out every file that was open in the event of a system crash.

then again this was back when kernel 2.4 was new, but it kind of left a sour taste in my mouth.

that was a long time ago tho

pram
Jun 10, 2001

jre posted:

Pram has discovered one weird trick to boost your io, find out why adaptec hates him.

I only allow my bytes to be replicated through purestrain lsi controllers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

so, uh, back when aws was a laughable choice and only total idiots tried to put databases in it, mdadm raid10 was useful?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so, uh, back when aws was a laughable choice and only total idiots tried to put databases in it, mdadm raid10 was useful?

:ughh:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah sure why not bsd

pram
Jun 10, 2001
but it's still useful, anyway. I know ur just being a fat contrarian baby but how would you do lvm on cloud instances? Are you just going to stripe the data across the pvs without any redundancy? Is everyone just supposed to buy a netapp?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

but it's still useful, anyway. I know ur just being a fat contrarian baby but how would you do lvm on cloud instances? Are you just going to stripe the data across the pvs without any redundancy? Is everyone just supposed to buy a netapp?

mongodb sharting, duh

pram
Jun 10, 2001
In an age where tons of poo poo depends on software replication like gluster/drbd/hdfs/ocfs it seems like a retarded neckbeard anachronism to be against mdadm. But it's bsd were talking about and retarded anachronisms are the name of the game. I mean he's obviously not arguing in good faith since software raid is one of zfs' killer features and he's a Solaris fanboy

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's me, i'm the person who puts one petabyte of SAN behind a single storage server managing a single logical volume

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
Zettabyte File System

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

please, it's the zebibyte file system

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

checkin in to check the hopes for lunix on the desktop 2015

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
courage, my friends, one day our time will come :unsmith:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

theadder posted:

checkin in to check the hopes for lunix on the desktop 2015

Looking good. I am using linux on my computer to make sure I never want to use a computer at home. 5/5 stars, would recommend for this purpose.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
tfw when u press winkey notepad and see wine start up....... piss

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Smythe posted:

tfw when u press winkey notepad and see wine start up....... piss

why the gently caress would you ever deliberately try to start notepad, even if you were running windows

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

why the gently caress would you ever deliberately try to start notepad, even if you were running windows

Because they couldn't be bothered to install notepad++?

Queue three page derail on text editors.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

keyvin posted:

Because they couldn't be bothered to install notepad++?

Queue three page derail on text editors.

vi/vim supremacy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Soricidus posted:

voicemail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

In an age where tons of poo poo depends on software replication like gluster/drbd/hdfs/ocfs it seems like a retarded neckbeard anachronism to be against mdadm. But it's bsd were talking about and retarded anachronisms are the name of the game. I mean he's obviously not arguing in good faith since software raid is one of zfs' killer features and he's a Solaris fanboy

software raid-1 is fine and works correctly

the dumb part was striping dozens of ebs volumes together and praying for consistent performance