Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Paper towels are good for degreasing, but you can also use slices of bread. Just make a little mat of them and lay the bacon on top as it comes out off of the pan. (Whether you choose to eat the bread afterwards is a matter for your own conscience.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I like the way bacon cooks out in the microwave but I also have many uses for the grease so I end up doing the oven method just like this:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Not preheating the pan is actually better as the bacon will lay flatter that way.

edit: But for the record, you should always do it in the oven. Lay it on rimmed sheet pan, put in cold oven, set to 375. Pull it out when its done.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Jacques Pepin advocates microwaving bacon.

Try baking it, try cold-frying it, try microwaving it. It will come out different ways; see which way you prefer.

Jacques Pepin was a pioneer in high-end premade food and has this ridiculous love for convenience technology. He has a few chapters about it in The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen, which are adorable and hilarious.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

edit: But for the record, you should always do it in the oven. Lay it on rimmed sheet pan, put in cold oven, set to 375. Pull it out when its done.

This is exactly how we do it and it works great. Usually takes about 15 minutes or so.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am using the awful app and can't make a new thread (bug?)so I'll ask here:

I am on Koh Samui for a week. Does anyone have any tips regarding locations/stalls that have something that sets them apart from the others?

I was told to go for the softshell crab at Menu2You in Lamai and a place called Sweetsisters for a good modern take on Thai cuisine.

I know there are a ton of high class places here and I will book a table at Treetops and one other high class location, maybe Saffron, but I am more interested in street food.

Any places you can recommend?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I'm hosting a small game night and dinner with about 8 people attending. Based on who is coming, need recommendations for recipes that are vegetarian, gluten free, and dairy free. Would paella work for that?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I'm hosting a small game night and dinner with about 8 people attending. Based on who is coming, need recommendations for recipes that are vegetarian, gluten free, and dairy free. Would paella work for that?

Many would say paella is all about the rice but I can't imagine one without at least seafood in it :colbert:

There's a lot of North Indian recipes that are vegetarian and gluten free and good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pull it out when its done.

I learned about this in health class. It's not a very reliable method.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 8, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Do a taco night. You can accommodate the no-gluten and no-dairy folks (they can just stick to corn tortillas and avoid cheese/sour cream/crema) while still allowing those delicious options for the genetically superior guests who don't have those sensitivities.

EDIT: Also doing taco night means you can include proteins for the omnivores, and not everything will have to be all-veggie.

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 8, 2015

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Another option is to go Indian as there are a multitude of vegetarian options. Vegetable curries are cheap and flavorsome but you could branch out to gluten free pakora using gram flour. It is also easy to add India flavour to western foods to make easy sides, like simply frying boiled potatoes with a dusting of curry powder.

Edit: Just read Adult Sword Owner's post.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Not preheating the pan is actually better as the bacon will lay flatter that way.

That's good to know. Is it because the bacon sticks to the pan as it heats up? I've never actually tried making oven bacon, but I've witnessed religious fervor over which way one should do it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nuru posted:

That's good to know. Is it because the bacon sticks to the pan as it heats up? I've never actually tried making oven bacon, but I've witnessed religious fervor over which way one should do it.

I do it on a silpat so it won't stick. You could also use a nonstick pan or parchment paper I guess. The reason you start cold is otherwise the fat seizes up when its heated quickly and your bacon gets all shriveled and bumpy and curly and whatnot. A cold oven keeps it very flat.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Midniter posted:

Do a taco night. You can accommodate the no-gluten and no-dairy folks (they can just stick to corn tortillas and avoid cheese/sour cream/crema) while still allowing those delicious options for the genetically superior guests who don't have those sensitivities.

EDIT: Also doing taco night means you can include proteins for the omnivores, and not everything will have to be all-veggie.

Thank you for feedback! I'm gonna go with a taco night, that is a really good idea. Indian food would be neat too, I will keep that in mind for the future.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I just fill my pan with 1lb of bacon and put it in the oven at 350 or so for about 25 minutes. 15 minutes in I drain the grease/water out

I can do it on the stove a well, but then i must flip all the bacon and it also makes my entire apartment and it's contents smell like bacon. Which is cool for that morning but gets old quick.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey so if SOMEBODY ran some of my aluminum cookware and bakeware through the dishwasher and it became all dark grey... does any of that come off on the food or is it just cosmetic damage?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If that happened to me Id be more worried about getting blood into the food.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

Hey so if SOMEBODY ran some of my aluminum cookware and bakeware through the dishwasher and it became all dark grey... does any of that come off on the food or is it just cosmetic damage?

So my cast aluminum stuff from the 70s as been through the dishwasher literally thousands of times and it's all perfectly fine to use so I say go ahead and use it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

If that happened to me Id be more worried about getting blood into the food.
Nah blood washes off metal pretty easily

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So my cast aluminum stuff from the 70s as been through the dishwasher literally thousands of times and it's all perfectly fine to use so I say go ahead and use it.

Ok cool

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

My Al pressure cooker has been sent through the washer a few times and turned gray, it's just oxidation, it is fine.

Steve Yun posted:

Nah blood washes off metal pretty easily

dat patina tho

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I'd be more worried about how your dog managed to reach the dishwasher.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I was very confused as to why vegetarians would show up to your small game feast, but then I realised you were talking Carcassonne, not Quail.

On that note, serve Quail for the finest living pun ever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Drink and Fight posted:

I'd be more worried about how your dog managed to reach the dishwasher.

I don't know, but it's not going to happen again

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Trying to eat more vegetables in my life, and go full vegetarian at least 1x/week. Can anyone recommend a good vegetarian cook book? This isn't for moral reasons, just health.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Booties posted:

Trying to eat more vegetables in my life, and go full vegetarian at least 1x/week. Can anyone recommend a good vegetarian cook book? This isn't for moral reasons, just health.

Bittman's "Vegan Before 6" is a very good starting point.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The trick for good roast duck (and lots of mess) is to set the duck on a rack suspended well above your roasting pan, which will keep your bird far out of the inch or more of delicious pre-gravy that will accumulate down there. You will also want to flip your bird a couple of times during roasting. And use a high heat, like 425 or something.

Thanks for the help :) It turned out great.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

fatherdog posted:

Bittman's "Vegan Before 6" is a very good starting point.

haha reading the description on Amazon is freaking me out. I'm doing this because I just found out that I am pre-diabetic and should eat a lot more fiber, vegetables, and fruits, but I don't want to change my eating lifestyle. This is an awesome suggestion. Thank you.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Booties posted:

haha reading the description on Amazon is freaking me out. I'm doing this because I just found out that I am pre-diabetic and should eat a lot more fiber, vegetables, and fruits, but I don't want to change my eating lifestyle. This is an awesome suggestion. Thank you.

I mean, you can def eat a lot more without going full on vegan, but I think it's interesting to strive to try to do it because at least to me, it's a challenge.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I mean, you can def eat a lot more without going full on vegan, but I think it's interesting to strive to try to do it because at least to me, it's a challenge.

I did a 6-week vegan challenge with a friend the summer before last and it really opened my eyes. I'm an avowed meat-eater, for sure, but it helped me to discover a much wider variety of cuisines and cooking techniques that I never would have experienced otherwise. I'm not saying anyone has to do it for 6 weeks, but it was still a good exercise.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I really just need recipes so I'm not boiling green beans and braising carrots every single night like I am right now. I'm hungry.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Midniter posted:

I did a 6-week vegan challenge with a friend the summer before last and it really opened my eyes. I'm an avowed meat-eater, for sure, but it helped me to discover a much wider variety of cuisines and cooking techniques that I never would have experienced otherwise. I'm not saying anyone has to do it for 6 weeks, but it was still a good exercise.

Live with one for two years!

Ended up making some really cool salads and a lot of indian food.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Booties posted:

I really just need recipes so I'm not boiling green beans and braising carrots every single night like I am right now. I'm hungry.

I'm not a vegan or even vegetarian but most of my food winds up being that way anyway. I do a lot of curries and the like. Here are a few recipes I've thought were really good:

Coconut red lentil curry: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Coconut-Red-Lentil-Curry-236684
Braised coconut spinach and chickpeas with lemon: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-braised-coconut-spinach-chickpeas-with-lemon-164551

Both are vegan. (Both involve coconut milk, so if you hate coconut these won't work for you.) I like legumes, but I also like not taking a few hours to make dinner; the first recipe uses red lentils, which cook fast, and the second uses canned chickpeas (though you could certainly use dried if you wanted).

Bittman has a How To Cook Everything Vegetarian book that's solid for recipes and has information on how to prep most any vegetable, and frequently offers notes on how to make vegetarian-but-not-vegan dishes vegan. I suspect as far as reading on adopting the lifestyle, though, the other book mentioned above is better. The big thing is to avoid trying to "substitute" for meat and just make vegetable dishes that don't require it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The Midniter posted:

You did it during prime grilling season? You crazy :v:

I know vegetables grill up really nice but steak and chicken grills better.

Booties posted:

One tip I have is to not try to do anything that's trying to be a meat dish. To me the big shift in thinking is that while a meat based dish is exactly that, a dish based in a meat with supporting characteristics and ingredients, a vegetarian dish is more about making a bunch of different components work equally well with things rarely being The Center Part of the dish. At least that's how I feel when I purposefully cook something vegetarian.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered the vegan before 6 book. That should help me eat healthier lunches at work at the least. Cheers.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
It's not quite what you're after now but if you want to expand your recipe collection down the track forums superstar Dino. has a vegan recipe book too. Loads of Indian recipes in there to keep you fuelled for a while.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I sometimes buy a Pad Prik King Gai (spelling varies) Thai dish from a local wok restaurant, and I love it to death. One thing I particularly love about it is that it comes with plenty of creamy sauce, but it's not based on coconut milk. Most recipes I've found online show a picture of the dish where the chicken and beans are only turned a bit in the sauce, and there's not much of it. How do I make more sauce? Add water and more curry paste and let it simmer?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
With regards to the whole Vegan Until 6 thing, you don't have to be VEGAN vegan if you don't want to be or if you're doing it more for health reasons instead of moral ones. You can use fish sauce and shrimp paste and stuff in your otherwise veggie-focused stir fry or noodles, or throw a sardine in your red sauce. I like to try to stick to "less than 1oz of animal product per meal until 6." So my salad can have cheese, but not a ton. My breakfast sandwich can have a slice of bacon, or I can use a little suet to amp the beefiness in mushroom saw mill gravy. That kind of thing. It's the spirit of the project, and if you're not doing it for moral reasons, you're fine. Honestly, I find that a lot of my cooking just happens to end up vegetarian or vegan anyway--I cook a lot of asian and indian, and I try to make vegetables half the plate either way. And tofu is great, eat tofu.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pilsner posted:

I sometimes buy a Pad Prik King Gai (spelling varies) Thai dish from a local wok restaurant, and I love it to death. One thing I particularly love about it is that it comes with plenty of creamy sauce, but it's not based on coconut milk. Most recipes I've found online show a picture of the dish where the chicken and beans are only turned a bit in the sauce, and there's not much of it. How do I make more sauce? Add water and more curry paste and let it simmer?
Would it be condensed milk?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Esme posted:

Thanks for the help :) It turned out great.

Oh good!

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I have some beef marrow bones that I want to make a broth/soup with. Should I roast them first? How long and how high if so? Any other prep I should know about? Never actually used this kind (they're small rounds, about an inch and a half tall rather than mostly whole bones).

Gonna throw another cut of beef in with them for the soup, going to sear that before throwing it in with some carrots/celery/salt/pepper/garlic/onions/cloves/bay leaf and simmer the heck out of it all day and serve over noodles, simmer it again all day tomorrow for even more goodness. I think it's a good plan at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I got a box of sweet wine as a gift.
My wife and I don't drink sweet wine and so I tried to make a jelly out of it to go with foie gras (got plenty of it heavily discounted after the New Year).
Using what I had lying around and that I had already used in the past to firm up alcohol: Carrageenan iota.
Total disaster, it was bitter as hell. We didn't have the same problem with liqueurs.
Sooo, what's the best way to turn wine into tasty goop ?