Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

WirelessPillow posted:

What is this "Cover" you speak of?

Anything it can't shoot through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
You can maneuver around and still use the laser gat. If you need to move, drop that bitch and pick it back up later. Mobility is BJ's greatest asset against ze Natzees. Noting the recharge stations nearby is also handy. You can pew pew the Ubersoldaten pretty well if you aim high and knock their helmets off and score a few headshots, which should leave you some of the battery to shoot at other things.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
I for one always had plenty of grenades when I was playing through. Don't really see what there was to complain about.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Atomikus posted:

I for one always had plenty of grenades when I was playing through. Don't really see what there was to complain about.

My problem is that I never solve problems with just one grenade only.

That's one thing I liked about CoD SP: you can usually make it rain.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I straight up did not know you could recharg the laser gats with the power stations ujtil people mentioned it here. I also found out Q can be used to fast swap to the last weapon used while doing these videos.

As for running around during fights instead of using cover: me sticking in one spot and picking off Nazis is generally the way I want to play the game, but I don't know how much people would want to watch me turn the game into Emplaced Gun Simulator 2014 so I'm going to be running around a bit to show off how you can use the arenas to your advantage when possible instead.

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
The dropping acid with Jimi part is actually really sad in a way that didn't occur to me until the millionth time I saw it.

This world will never have a 60's. I mean, it will never have a liberation. Yes, the hippies all grew up to become yuppies and yes, John Lennon was shot by a madman and ultimately it was all for nothing. But the core ideas of the 60's were wonderful.

In the TNO timeline they are gone forever. Even if BJ kills every Nazi and Nazi sympathiser and Nazi bureaucrat and Nazi who is only a Nazi because that is all he knows, the world is now just concrete and steel. Might may make right but really might is all that is left.

They never had a Woodstock, and never, ever will.

This post relates to the other timeline and is a huge spoiler, sorry!

atal fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 10, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Neruz posted:

Anything it can't shoot through.

But that means I can't shoot through it either, much better to go fast :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
What did that second mine blast open?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

As for running around during fights instead of using cover: me sticking in one spot and picking off Nazis is generally the way I want to play the game, but I don't know how much people would want to watch me turn the game into Emplaced Gun Simulator 2014 so I'm going to be running around a bit to show off how you can use the arenas to your advantage when possible instead.

I haven't played the game so I'm just assuming that you're supposed to run back and forth when you're fighting the super soldiers at least. If you're just shooting regular Assault Rifle nazis I expect that regular in cover combat works just fine.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
We'll see our share of cover shooting, no worries in that regard. The game pretty much forces it on you in the later levels.
edit: And there's one thing that's completely invaluable for that. And the game doesn't give you enough of it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

anilEhilated posted:

We'll see our share of cover shooting, no worries in that regard. The game pretty much forces it on you in the later levels.
edit: And there's one thing that's completely invaluable for that. And the game doesn't give you enough of it.

Would you enjoy a game where you had nothing but grenades and grenade launchers and rocket launchers and the entire game was about repainting everywhere you go with the innards of nazis?

Because that would be awesome.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Would you enjoy a game where you had nothing but grenades and grenade launchers and rocket launchers and the entire game was about repainting everywhere you go with the innards of nazis?

HELL YES.
To be fair I do tend to use explosives instead of traditional guns whenever given the choice. Totally not because I'm terrible at aiming despite playing shooters since I was six.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Would you enjoy a game where you had nothing but grenades and grenade launchers and rocket launchers

Well yeah that already exists it's called Saints R-

Night10194 posted:

and the entire game was about repainting everywhere you go with the innards of nazis?

Oh. Nevermind

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Night10194 posted:

Sounds like the prequel to Viscera Cleanup Detail.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

A can of whoopass on an unsuspecting Nazi plumber.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

gschmidl posted:

Sounds like the prequel to Viscera Cleanup Detail.
Hey, I actually LP'd that. And still need to do the actual cleaning. ANYWAY. Nazis. Am I really the only one who was seriously unimpressed by the LKW? It really doesn't stand out as a weapon, it's only useful against things other weapons are just as useful and it doesn't even offer you that significant of an advantage over the bigger bad guys.
And it needs to recharge every fight.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There was a second grate in the way.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Hey, I actually LP'd that. And still need to do the actual cleaning. ANYWAY. Nazis. Am I really the only one who was seriously unimpressed by the LKW? It really doesn't stand out as a weapon, it's only useful against things other weapons are just as useful and it doesn't even offer you that significant of an advantage over the bigger bad guys.

its great for oneshotting supersoldiers later on, then switching to another weapon to deal with normal enemies.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
If they made the held charge any larger (pre-upgrades) they probably would risk players ignoring the other, ammo-powered guns completely. I think of it as basically a badass laser holdout weapon with 1 or 2 special times to shine per fight.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

You aren't alone in that, at least compared to the superweapons we've seen in past games. Wolfenstein 2009 may not have been the greatest game in the world but it had some fantastically overpowered guns. Though I also feel like being able to dual wield one of the biggest loving shotguns in video games helps alleviate that.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Lazyfire posted:

Are there going to be any points later on in the game which are so hard that you'll have to mow down ubersoldat's with their own weaponry? If not, maybe you could do it just once to show us how differently the game plays when you're not putting a hand behind your back. I appreciate getting to see everything, but I'd also enjoy seeing some Nazis get hoisted by their own laser petard. :v:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

atal posted:

WYATT TIMELINE STUFF
Yanno that COULD be rather spoilery as gently caress just saying cuz we haven't even SEEN that other person yet, you didn't even spoilertag it for gently caress's sake.

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
Noted, I've spoilered it

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

anilEhilated posted:

Am I really the only one who was seriously unimpressed by the LKW?

I do kind of get what you mean. It stinks of "we need a gimmick gun", and I'm never sure if it's a plus or minus that the gimmick ultimately boils down to "solid, dependable, practical DEATH RAY".

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FinalGamer posted:

Yanno that COULD be rather spoilery as gently caress just saying cuz we haven't even SEEN that other person yet, you didn't even spoilertag it for gently caress's sake.

whoa now. it's not that big a deal.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Prenton posted:

I do kind of get what you mean. It stinks of "we need a gimmick gun", and I'm never sure if it's a plus or minus that the gimmick ultimately boils down to "solid, dependable, practical DEATH RAY".

I like the LKW as this game's gimmick gun. It never runs out of ammo, isn't melee, and is, as you said, a solid and dependable laser gun. Does some fancy stuff later on, and is excellent in certain cases, but it manages to hit that sweet spot of 'balance', especially considering how plentiful its 'ammo' is. it isn't the best one by far, it isn't literally trash, and it's pretty satisfying too. Not sure how well it comes off in the videos, but it has a nice "THOON" sound.

I like the LKW, basically.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Serperoth posted:

I like the LKW as this game's gimmick gun. It never runs out of ammo, isn't melee, and is, as you said, a solid and dependable laser gun. Does some fancy stuff later on, and is excellent in certain cases, but it manages to hit that sweet spot of 'balance', especially considering how plentiful its 'ammo' is. it isn't the best one by far, it isn't literally trash, and it's pretty satisfying too. Not sure how well it comes off in the videos, but it has a nice "THOON" sound.

I like the LKW, basically.

It also blows nazis into little chunks if you headshot them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's extremely weak early-game, but extremely powerful late-game, IF you remember to pick up all the upgrades for it along the way. So that influenced my opinion of it initially too. At first it was just a bigger, less-efficient laser cutter instead of a weapon.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Once you get all the upgrades it really does change the feel of the LKW. It took me two playthroughs to really get the feel for the weapon down, and I didn't even know how to activate one of the upgrades until I actually read through the notes and learned how to use it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Speedball posted:

It's extremely weak early-game, but extremely powerful late-game, IF you remember to pick up all the upgrades for it along the way. So that influenced my opinion of it initially too. At first it was just a bigger, less-efficient laser cutter instead of a weapon.
Yeah, the LKW definitely comes off as a weapon you want to keep an eye out for upgrades. Admittedly, the ones we've seen so far range from rather mundane to making the LKW decent, but not totally insane.

Although, I do question how an experimental Nazi weapon found in London has its upgrades randomly scattered across Berlin. :iiam:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, the LKW definitely comes off as a weapon you want to keep an eye out for upgrades. Admittedly, the ones we've seen so far range from rather mundane to making the LKW decent, but not totally insane.

Although, I do question how an experimental Nazi weapon found in London has its upgrades randomly scattered across Berlin. :iiam:

Other scientists were attempting to sabotage the final product.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

McTimmy posted:

Other scientists were attempting to sabotage the final product.

Final upgrade, take off all the goofy, useless, fiddly bits that you've been slapping on it, and it just turns into a big ol' laser particle cannon. :v:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The upgrades for the laser weapon also start popping up in more obvious places in later levels if you keep missing them.

I found this video of me playing through some sections in 999 mode which gives you unlimited ammo (spoilers for late assault rifle upgrade) while browsing my PS4 videos of the game. Contain yourself, anilEhilated.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

Da'at Yichud tech. :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thunderbro posted:

Da'at Yichud tech. :colbert:

This is a reasonable explanation. It's a Da'at Yichud device and integrates with that kind of technology.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Night10194 posted:

Have you seen Rise of the Triad's remake? That's most of it's gimmick.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Night10194 posted:

It also blows nazis into little chunks if you headshot them.

You can cut dick shaped holes in fences, too!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I do love the LWK just for the evolving weapon aspect, reminds me of the disruption pistol you got in Unreal. I also like how it becomes BJ's signature weapon and stays with you each level even if your other guns don't. The fact that it also gibs Nazis is also a nice touch.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

This LP convinced me to take the plunge, and buy the game. The store was out of the PS3 version, but luckily I own a 360.

Of course, when I got back to my apartment I realized that I loaned my 360 to my dad a few months ago... It's going to be a long weekend. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Night10194 posted:

Nebiros posted:

Have you seen Rise of the Triad's remake? That's most of it's gimmick.

While it's missing the Nazi bit it's also possible in Far Cry 2. There's three weapon slots, not counting your machete, and you can have some form of grenade launcher (40mm or rocket-propelled) in all of them.

• Locked thread