Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FCKGW posted:

is that when i get random $2k+ checks from a company account in the mail with a letter to cash it and send half to some dude in nigeria

no, it's when you get a check and copy the numbers from it, then use that to buy stuff off the Internet or do something more sophisticated like kiting.

when your power company sets up automatic bill pay from the void cheque you send, it's doing the same sort of thing, but scout's honor you approved it. it's not like your bank asks to see the paperwork of the customer application every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

AlbieQuirky posted:

I was excited that Bitstamp had done something stupid but it was all checkque chat and now my crest is fallen,

Same but pirahna was on syfy so at least there was that. Now it's mega pirahna.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Dessert Rose posted:

how i understand it is that they think that timing attacks are somehow relevant to bitcoin (they aren't) so they want to use a constant-time signing (verification? is the only way this remotely makes sense) algorithm

in other words, cargo cult as gently caress

What about if you sit a few feet away from someone and analyze the electromagnetic interference generated by their PC while it is signing a transaction or something, isn't it possible you could get some information about their key that way?

* I know enough about cryptography to only ask questions, not make statements or decisions.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Dessert Rose posted:

how i understand it is that they think that timing attacks are somehow relevant to bitcoin (they aren't) so they want to use a constant-time signing (verification? is the only way this remotely makes sense) algorithm

in other words, cargo cult as gently caress

why wouldn't timing attacks be relevant? there are definitely attacks where you can pull key material off of another VM on the same host

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
idk if posted already and idc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's true. You get less and less dollars for a bitcoin. Obviously the dollar is decreasing in value!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
as a long time dollar holder i have to say my world looks now a lot different than in 2010 before this huge collapse

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
four years ago I used to buy a cup of coffee for $5. today that cup costs me $50,000.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
you've only actually lost money if you've sold the dollars for bitcoins, you should hodl your current dollars and snap up these cheap dollars with any bitcoin you can get ahold of
dollars are about to go to the moon, this is probably your last chance to get on board

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Chocobo posted:

you've only actually lost money if you've sold the dollars for bitcoins, you should hodl your current dollars and snap up these cheap dollars with any bitcoin you can get ahold of
dollars are about to go to the moon, this is probably your last chance to get on board

this makes perfect sense

where can i buy no hassles bitcoin

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
under obamas regime the dollar has lost 100000% of its value

i think ill be voting republican next time

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

my credit card i will tell it to you just give me a bitcoin

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Snapchat A Titty posted:

ty

one day to come my son will come upon the verb "to fishmech" and ask me pa, did you ever get fishmeched? but I can answer him truthfully: I did meet the fishmech once, in the dawn of 2014. And he talked about this and that but nothing that had any meaning or relation to the real truth: that america is poo poo for idiot hell fuckers. So after several minutes he changed the topic and took another form, as in the legend of Dragonball. I never got an aswer to that last argument I had made. Then I'll ruffle my son's hair and tell him not to chat with strangers online but he's way ahead of me and has already set up a whitelist.

at least get the year right jesus christ

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/message/33221963/
[Bitcoin-development] OpenSSL 1.0.0p / 1.0.1k incompatible, causes blockchain rejection.

openssl fixed a vuln which caused it to become incompatible with bitcoin

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

[Bitcoin-development] OpenSSL 1.0.0p / 1.0.1k incompatible, causes blockchain rejection.

openssl fixed a vuln which caused it to become incompatible with bitcoin
While for most applications it is generally acceptable to eagerly
reject some signatures, Bitcoin is a consensus system where all
participants must generally agree on the exact validity or
invalidity of the input data. In a sense, consistency is more
important than "correctness".

As a result, an uncontrolled 'fix' can constitute a security
vulnerability for the Bitcoin system. The Bitcoin Core developers
have been aware of this class of risk for a long time and have
taken measures to mitigate it generally; e.g., shipping static
binaries, internalizing the Leveldb library... etc.

It was somewhat surprising, however, to see this kind of change show
up as a "low" priority fix in a security update and pushed out live
onto large numbers of systems within hours.

We were specifically aware of potential hard-forks due to signature
encoding handling and had been hoping to close them via BIP62 in 0.10.
BIP62's purpose is to improve transaction malleability handling and
as a side effect rigidly defines the encoding for signatures, but the
overall scope of BIP62 has made it take longer than we'd like to
deploy.

(Coincidentally, I wrote about this concern and our unique demands on
cryptographic software as part of a comment on Reddit shortly before
discovering that part of this OpenSSL update was actually
incompatible with Bitcoin:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2rrxq7/on_why_010s_release_notes_say_we_have_reason_to/cnitbz3
)

The patches above, however, only fix one symptom of the general
problem: relying on software not designed or distributed for
consensus use (in particular OpenSSL) for consensus-normative
behavior. Therefore, as an incremental improvement, I propose
a targeted soft-fork to enforce strict DER compliance soon,
utilizing a subset of BIP62.

Adding a blockchain rule for strict DER will reduce the risk of
consensus inconsistencies from alternative implementations of
signature parsing or signature verification, simplify BIP62,
and better isolate the cryptographic validation code from the
consensus algorithm. A failure to do so will likely leave us
in this situation, or possibly worse, again in the future.

The relevant incompatible transactions are already non-standard on
the network since 0.8.0's release in February 2013, although there
was seemingly a single miner still mining incompatible transactions.
That miner has been contacted and has fixed their software, so a
soft-fork with no chain forking should be possible.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

anthonypants posted:

We were specifically aware of potential hard-forks due to signature
encoding handling and had been hoping to close them via BIP62 in 0.10.
BIP62's purpose is to improve transaction malleability handling and
as a side effect rigidly defines the encoding for signatures, but the
overall scope of BIP62 has made it take longer than we'd like to
deploy.
lol thousands of bitcoins stolen through this and they're just now fixing it years later

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Same Great Paste posted:

at least get the year right jesus christ

welp :toot:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

lol thousands of bitcoins stolen through this and they're just now fixing it years later
kinda weird how that keeps coming up, despite having been in the wiki

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
we're going to look back on that as the mortal wound, aren't we?

stick to legacy OpenSSL and trudge on forever accepting whatever holes are found or have already been found, oh well

or

homebrew their own and get their rectum pulled out their ear within weeks

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wulfolme posted:

we're going to look back on that as the mortal wound, aren't we?

stick to legacy OpenSSL and trudge on forever accepting whatever holes are found or have already been found, oh well

or

homebrew their own and get their rectum pulled out their ear within weeks

i have no idea what will happen if (when) an absolute dealbreaker exploit is found in the code, i just know it's gonna be spectacular.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

the bitcoins werent actually stolen from that. mtgox were just "uhh yeah we didn't run off with all the butts, it was, ummm, *checks wiki* transaction malleability and evil hackers"

someone analysed the bitcoin network and discovered that only 300 bitcoins at most (probably much less) had even been stolen with transaction malleability and 90% of that was after the mtgox meltdown

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i have no idea what will happen if (when) an absolute dealbreaker exploit is found in the code, i just know it's gonna be spectacular.

the problem will be added to the wiki, and thus everyone will agree it is solved

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
welp i think it's fair to say we've lost the war, bitstamp is back online and bitcoin has already climbed back over $300

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
j/k it's crashing again

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

quote:

So, did that give $100 of btc to MIT kids go anywhere? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 18 hours ago by ivyleague481

[–]agorale 37 points 15 hours ago
Down to $65 I think

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Herman Merman posted:

Down to $65 I think
:pusheen:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

lol

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

So if someone had warehouses of bitcoin miners, why wouldn't they just be trying 24/7 to guess the private key for satoshi's wallet?

(BTW, I still don't have a firm grasp on what miners do, besides guess numbers. the answer is probably "because they're single purpose machines and aren't built that way")

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

So if someone had warehouses of bitcoin miners, why wouldn't they just be trying 24/7 to guess the private key for satoshi's wallet?

(BTW, I still don't have a firm grasp on what miners do, besides guess numbers. the answer is probably "because they're single purpose machines and aren't built that way")
breaking a bitcoin private key by bruteforce is "heat death of the universe" type ETA as far as I know

e: also mined coins on the original client go to their own address, so you'd actually have to break thousands of private keys to get at all of satoshi's coins

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

because that would take longer than the life of the universe and their resources are better used in getting the block rewards

iirc, I calculated it would take on the order of 10^43 years to have a 50% chance of finding a private key by brute force at 20Mkeys/sec. the big miners are operating a few orders of magnitude faster but that doesn't help much at this scale.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 10, 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

breaking a bitcoin private key by bruteforce is "heat death of the universe" type ETA as far as I know

Then they need more miners, obv.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

Down to $65 I think

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Then they need more miners, obv.

Schneier posted:

Longer key lengths are better, but only up to a point. AES will have 128-bit, 192-bit, and 256-bit key lengths. This is far longer than needed for the foreseeable future. In fact, we cannot even imagine a world where 256-bit brute force searches are possible. It requires some fundamental breakthroughs in physics and our understanding of the universe.

One of the consequences of the second law of thermodynamics is that a certain amount of energy is necessary to represent information. To record a single bit by changing the state of a system requires an amount of energy no less than kT, where T is the absolute temperature of the system and k is the Boltzman constant. (Stick with me; the physics lesson is almost over.)

Given that k = 1.38 × 10−16 erg/K, and that the ambient temperature of the universe is 3.2 Kelvin, an ideal computer running at 3.2 K would consume 4.4 × 10−16 ergs every time it set or cleared a bit. To run a computer any colder than the cosmic background radiation would require extra energy to run a heat pump.

Now, the annual energy output of our sun is about 1.21 × 1041 ergs. This is enough to power about 2.7 × 1056 single bit changes on our ideal computer; enough state changes to put a 187-bit counter through all its values. If we built a Dyson sphere around the sun and captured all its energy for 32 years, without any loss, we could power a computer to count up to 2192. Of course, it wouldn't have the energy left over to perform any useful calculations with this counter.

But that's just one star, and a measly one at that. A typical supernova releases something like 1051 ergs. (About a hundred times as much energy would be released in the form of neutrinos, but let them go for now.) If all of this energy could be channeled into a single orgy of computation, a 219-bit counter could be cycled through all of its states.

These numbers have nothing to do with the technology of the devices; they are the maximums that thermodynamics will allow. And they strongly imply that brute-force attacks against 256-bit keys will be infeasible until computers are built from something other than matter and occupy something other than space.
bitcoin private keys are 256-bit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RZA Encryption posted:

assuming satoshi has 256-bit key, that's a a lot of poo poo to guess (if we brute force every possible address)
basically that's 2^256 keys. he may have 512-bit key, so 2^512 is limit. if he's dumb, he may have 128-bit - 2^128
for example, let's take gtx 980 (doesnt make great sense but w/e) card - something like 2^26 (roughly) keys/second
128-bit = 2^(128-26) seconds = 2^102 seconds = 2^77 years
256-bit = 2^(256-26) seconds = 2^230 seconds = 2^205 years
256-bit = 2^(512-26) seconds = 2^486 seconds = 2^463 years
thats alot
while this is time needed to checke every single possible thing, even like 10% of it is crazy long

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

2^26 (roughly) keys/second

really?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DNova posted:

2^26 (roughly) keys/second

really?
no idea if that holds nowadays, number based on 4 year old bitcoin address miner gpu performance estimation formulas
point is that miner will die before that happens either way

it was also more like 2^(25,6), but i felt lazy

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

oh my bad I'm thinking base ten and you're writing base two

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DNova posted:

oh my bad I'm thinking base ten and you're writing base two
yea, i rewrote to base 2, re: lazy

e: for base 10 it's about 4.5*10^7 (423362566 k/s is what i've got, so i pluged it in to 2^x and then rounded x up to closest integer)

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Users of Bitcoin Core on Linux must not upgrade to the latest version of OpenSSL (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 9 hours ago * by theymos[M]

Greg Maxwell's announcement:

Summary:

There is a problem with the most recent release of OpenSSL which will cause issues for some users of Bitcoin Core on Linux. This is not a critical security issue, but everyone using Bitcoin Core on Linux should read the following information, especially if you're automatically processing Bitcoin payments. The worst-case scenario is that you might accept transactions as confirmed which are later reversed.

You are likely to be affected only if:

You use Linux.
You installed Bitcoin Core using your distro's package manager or you compiled Bitcoin Core yourself without using gitian. You are not affected if you use the binaries on bitcoin.org.
You upgrade your system's OpenSSL to 1.0.0p or 1.0.1k. These were security-fix releases, so your package manager might have updated them automatically.

If you are affected, then your client might become stuck at a particular block, and you'll have to reindex the block chain to fix it. In some conceivable but unlikely scenarios, you might see incoming transactions as having 6+ confirmations when the transactions are actually invalid. If you are a pool operator, then you could conceivably start mining on a false chain, which would cause you to lose all of your future blocks until you fix this.

If you are using an affected version of Bitcoin Core, you should either make sure that your system OpenSSL does not get updated or shut down Bitcoin Core until an update fixing this is released in a day or two. If Bitcoin Core is already stuck and showing the "We do not appear to fully agree with our peers!" message, shut it down until an update fixing this is released; when you run that version, you'll have to run it with the -reindex switch.

• Locked thread