Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MasterSlowPoke posted:

On my Nexus 6, how do I get the controls to be on the left side of the phone in landscape mode?

Unless you root, you don't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I guess me and the missus will have to switch sides of the bed then!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I guess me and the missus will have to switch sides of the bed then!

As a fellow marriedgoon, I know this isn't going to work out.

Dear God root your phone before you switch sides!

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Having an issue with Priority Interuptions in lollipop and hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I have it turned on for events, calls and messages
Calls/Messages - set for starred contacts only
Have it set for 7 days a week, 10PM - 3PM the next day.

The problem is, I'm not getting any audible alerts for my starred contacts when they message me, even when I get a message after 3PM.

Any ideas?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know good place to pick up a Nexus 5? I'm thinking Amazon since I have a few gift cards but not sure.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone know good place to pick up a Nexus 5? I'm thinking Amazon since I have a few gift cards but not sure.

If you're in Canada, carriers still have it all over the place.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you're in Canada, carriers still have it all over the place.

In the US

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Craigslist.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bryn987 posted:

Having an issue with Priority Interuptions in lollipop and hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I have it turned on for events, calls and messages
Calls/Messages - set for starred contacts only
Have it set for 7 days a week, 10PM - 3PM the next day.

The problem is, I'm not getting any audible alerts for my starred contacts when they message me, even when I get a message after 3PM.

Any ideas?
...is your notifications volume turned up? Have a notification sound selected in your messaging app of choice?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SA Mart.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

So I moved from iphone 4 to nexus 6 and was merrily having fun until i learned about launchers and custom keyboards. I googled around but I can't find a definitive answer. What's the best setup of launcher to feel like I'm hacking through space in futuristic cyberwars?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Don't trust that...especially not in Omaha (no, not just North Omaha....people are loving crazy here).

I saw Boy Blunder has a listing up on Swappa and on SA Mart for his N5. I'll probably keep an eye on it but I don't think I'll have it all in time. :v: Since I've got $115 on Amazon, I was thinking of just getting from Amazon or something but I don't know just yet. I'll look into it though.

Whatever I get, it has to be GSM and all or I'd go pick up some CDMA burner Android.

Thanks for the responses though and I'll keep Swappa (and Amazon) in mind.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Stoat posted:

So I moved from iphone 4 to nexus 6 and was merrily having fun until i learned about launchers and custom keyboards. I googled around but I can't find a definitive answer. What's the best setup of launcher to feel like I'm hacking through space in futuristic cyberwars?

The stock one.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Stoat posted:

Shout ACCESS GRANTED every time you turn the phone on or the keyboard opens.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

the littlest prince posted:

Shout ACCESS GRANTED every time you turn the phone on or the keyboard opens.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
In case anyone here needed more reason to love Diztronic - I ordered a case from them for my Droid Turbo and even though I made extra sure to click BALLISTIC NYLON VERSION ONLY, they sent me the Kevlar version. I fact checked by trying it on my wife's Turbo which is Kevlar and it fit perfectly.

In about 5 minutes and two emails they have the correct case on its way to me and asked me to keep the other one since it will work for my wife.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Why do the Kevlar and ballistic nylon ones need different cases/designed differently?

E: loving predictive text

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 11, 2015

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
They do. The Kevlar version only just barely "fits" the nylon version. It's very noticeable.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Variable_H posted:

Why do the Kevlar and ballistic nylon ones need different cases/designed differently?

E: loving predictive text

Black Ballistic Nylon
Curve: 8.3-11.2 mm (0.33-0.44 inches)

Metallic Red, Metallic Black
Curve: 7.8-10.6 mm (0.31-0.42 inches)

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

caveman thug poo poo posted:

In case anyone here needed more reason to love Diztronic - I ordered a case from them for my Droid Turbo and even though I made extra sure to click BALLISTIC NYLON VERSION ONLY, they sent me the Kevlar version. I fact checked by trying it on my wife's Turbo which is Kevlar and it fit perfectly.

In about 5 minutes and two emails they have the correct case on its way to me and asked me to keep the other one since it will work for my wife.

I know the Galaxy S5 Active doesn't really need a case but it'd be nice if more people made ones that would fit it. I have an extra button here.

TechArmor gave me a free case for writing a review for my screen protector but they don't have one for the Active either.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What are the best cases for the Note 4? The thread talks a lot about otterbox, but that thing looks like it's meant for tanks it's so bulky. I'd really like something as non-intrusive as possible.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

pandaK posted:

What are the best cases for the Note 4? The thread talks a lot about otterbox, but that thing looks like it's meant for tanks it's so bulky. I'd really like something as non-intrusive as possible.

Diztronic gets a lot of good press around here. I've got their full matte case on my G3 and I really like it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Klowns posted:

I know the Galaxy S5 Active doesn't really need a case but it'd be nice if more people made ones that would fit it. I have an extra button here.
This might be a stupid question but if you were always going to be putting it in a case why wouldn't you just opt for the Galaxy S5 which is water resistant and that you know has cases available?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm gonna hedge my bets on pushy salesman.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

LastInLine posted:

This might be a stupid question but if you were always going to be putting it in a case why wouldn't you just opt for the Galaxy S5 which is water resistant and that you know has cases available?

It had ever-so-slightly better options for the same price and is also water resistant. I put all my phones into a case just to keep the resale value up. It's just that most of the normal go-to case makers don't seem to stock ones for the Active, grabbed a cheap one off Amazon.

Variable_H posted:

I'm gonna hedge my bets on pushy salesman.

People still buy phones in a brick and motors when there's free overnight shipping?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Variable_H posted:

Diztronic gets a lot of good press around here. I've got their full matte case on my G3 and I really like it.

Those look real great, purchased the black one.

By the way, are the back and menu buttons supposed to light up behind the or on top of the weird line design stuff? Mine and the three others we bought all have them light up behind the lines, but this just looks kind of weird to me.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking. The back and menu/app switcher buttons are supposed to light up, is something else also?

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
the hangouts app crashes upon launch as of this morning on my nexus 5. restarting hasn't done anything. what's up with this?

edit: I went into app settings and uninstalled all updates from hangouts and it works now and I haven't lost any history. I'll try updating later I guess

Illusive Fuck Man fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 11, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Variable_H posted:

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking. The back and menu/app switcher buttons are supposed to light up, is something else also?

The light up displays for the buttons appear behind the line pattern. Is it supposed to do that because all the online pictures I've seen of the Note 4 have the light up buttons show up on top of the line pattern.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Goons! Buy my 32GB Nexus 5!

This means you ThermoPhysical:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693436

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

pandaK posted:

The light up displays for the buttons appear behind the line pattern. Is it supposed to do that because all the online pictures I've seen of the Note 4 have the light up buttons show up on top of the line pattern.

What line pattern? Is this something specific to the Note 4?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

pandaK posted:

Mine is like that too and I was wondering about that myself. I guess that's just normal.

edit:

pandaK posted:

I bought this one, not here yet but it seems cool.

I don't need a huge case to protect from cars running over it or whatever because I'm pretty careful with my poo poo, but I do want scratch protection, so this seems to fit the bill.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 11, 2015

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but has anyone else's Nexus 5 had terrible battery life since getting Lollipop?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I hope Google's going to release 5.0.2, which should contain that fix for the memory leak, any time soon. The need to reboot the phone gets annoying. That they're not hotfixing this is frankly ridiculous.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

pandaK posted:

Oh I think I get it now, the Note has accent lines on the bezels on the front of the device. I guess Samsung didn't bother to not have those lines run over the capacitive buttons. This is going to be normal.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but has anyone else's Nexus 5 had terrible battery life since getting Lollipop?

It's gone downhill, yeah

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Daily Forecast posted:

Mine is like that too and I was wondering about that myself. I guess that's just normal.

Variable_H posted:

Oh I think I get it now, the Note has accent lines on the bezels on the front of the device. I guess Samsung didn't bother to not have those lines run over the capacitive buttons. This is going to be normal.

Good to know I don't have some defective copy, it didn't bother me too much, I just thought it looked kind of weird. The phone itself is pretty great, I love the camera and screen, and I'm actually getting a lot of use out of SHealth if at least only for its food tracking since it's very convenient having it on a phone.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Combat Pretzel posted:

I hope Google's going to release 5.0.2, which should contain that fix for the memory leak, any time soon. The need to reboot the phone gets annoying. That they're not hotfixing this is frankly ridiculous.

5.0.2 came out before the leak was marked as fixed

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I thought I noticed worse battery after Lollipop on my Nexus 5, glad to know it wasn't just me going crazy.

The battery on the Note 4 is a loving beast. 36 hours on battery, 7 hours SOT, 51% remaining. After coming from a Nexus 5 that would be dead like ten times over it makes me a little mad. My first smartphone was a Galaxy S2 on Sprint, and I actually really loved that little phone. I ordered a Nexus 4 when I had to switch to TMo (because reasons) because I couldn't take my S2 with me, because of loving course I couldn't. I might have been using it this whole time if not for that. I got the Nexus 4 because it was cheap and good enough, and upgraded to the Nexus 5 because... well, I'm not even sure. The phone I had really wanted was a Note 2 (or 3? whatever was out when the Nexus 5 was released) but it was too expensive. In hindsight, not sure why I bothered upgrading from my Nexus 4 at all.

I feel like the compelling part of Nexus phones are the price point, but with the Nexus 6 they feel kind of loving pointless because why would I pay $700-$800 for a phone without a replaceable battery or SD card slot? Google's ~*~**CLOUD**~*~ is garbage. Really happy with the Note 4, and it's the first phone I'm actually really satisfied with since my S2, pretty much because it feels like Galaxy S2++++++, I guess.

At least I was able to sell my Nexus 5 for $300. I bought it for $400 after shipping, tax, etc. $100 to 'lease' a phone for six months isn't too bad, I guess.

The only thing I miss from my Nexus is being able to make the GPS talk in the UK English voice. Is there a way to do that? I set it to English (UK) in the language and Google voice settings and stuff but it still uses the English (US) voice.

edit: I go into Settings > Language and Input > Text-to-speech options, select "Google Text-to-speech Engine", click the gear icon beside it, and set it to English (UK). And "Listen to an example" gives me 'this is an example of speech synthesis in English' in the expected British accent. Google Now uses the UK voice. And, on my previous Nexus phones, that was enough to force Maps to use the English (UK) voice while giving me turn-by-turn directions. On the Note 4 (and the Galaxy S5 that I used for a week, now that I think about it) Maps still stubbornly insists on using English (US), which I just don't like as much. It's kind of annoying.

Anybody have any luck getting Maps to use English (UK)?

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

NExus 6 (and 5? Or maybe all Lollipop users?) what is the deal with taking photos at night? The phone tells me to move it upwards slowly but if I move it up at all it says I did it too fast. Is there no regular "just take the drat picture" mode?