Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mogomra posted:

You can explain away RE0-2's geography all you want, but RE3's will never make sense.

Who the gently caress designed Racoon City? The roads are useless!

Raccoon City is a town where the Mayor spends taxpayer money to build an elaborate puzzle mechanism into a statue of himself so he can hide a car battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Personally I object to this way less than the idea that a few hills over from the crazy mansion owned by a shady pharmaceuticals company with a secret lab underneath it, there's a second crazy mansion owned by a shady pharmaceuticals company with a secret lab underneath it that nobody has thus far given the slightest attention to.

One's the famous home of noted billionaire eccentric (and owner of local police/media/politicians) Ozwell Spencer; one's the shuttered, mothballed training facility of the locally-headquartered Umbrella Corporation. Neither are particularly remarkable on the face of it until you get inside and start running into death traps, themed keys, and human experimentation.

Sakurazuka posted:

I know at least where it comes from, all the tiny streets and everything plonked down almost completely at random and at a crazy angle is pretty much every Japanese town.

Yeah, the RE3 version of Raccoon City is very obviously Japanese. I seem to remember someone back in the day pointing out that the water hookup on the wall that you have to use with the hose to solve a puzzle relatively early in the game is practically unheard-of in North America, where we almost always use fire hydrants, and ubiquitous in Japan. It's another example of how the series is essentially a thin American skin over a Japanese game.

StandardVC10 posted:

Having it explored partially in RE0 just raises new questions though. Such as, "why the hell does nobody seem to care about it at the time?"

There are a lot of little things in RE0 that raise more questions than they answer, yeah, like how Billy takes one look at the dead skeletons underneath the processing facility, in the room where you meet back up with him before the endgame, and the first thing out of his mouth is "They're experimenting with the mother virus!" That's been taken as proof among RE grognards for years that Billy knows a lot more than he's letting on.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Wanderer posted:

There are a lot of little things in RE0 that raise more questions than they answer, yeah, like how Billy takes one look at the dead skeletons underneath the processing facility, in the room where you meet back up with him before the endgame, and the first thing out of his mouth is "They're experimenting with the mother virus!" That's been taken as proof among RE grognards for years that Billy knows a lot more than he's letting on.

Is it possible that the characters are just assumed to have read all the same files that the player would have found at that point? It's been a really long time since I've played RE0 so I have no idea if this would clear that up or not.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Geight posted:

Is it possible that the characters are just assumed to have read all the same files that the player would have found at that point? It's been a really long time since I've played RE0 so I have no idea if this would clear that up or not.

well how else would Claire know how to synthesize the vaccine for Sherry if she didn't actually READ the notes that Annette hands her, same with Leon reading Ben's article. I mean that's just rude to pocket something like that on someone's deathbed :v:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, there's some real missed potential with the lack of extra costumes for agent in RE6 mercenaries. Like, I know he's a surrogate non-existant character for player 2 in Ada's story, but if you're not interested in him at all, put someone else in instead. It seems to me, though, that his extra costumes would've been a great place to add in some cameos from other games, or some really crazy/silly costumes. Instead if you're playing agent and you get an A rank you just get nothing. :geno:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, there's some real missed potential with the lack of extra costumes for agent in RE6 mercenaries. Like, I know he's a surrogate non-existant character for player 2 in Ada's story, but if you're not interested in him at all, put someone else in instead. It seems to me, though, that his extra costumes would've been a great place to add in some cameos from other games, or some really crazy/silly costumes. Instead if you're playing agent and you get an A rank you just get nothing. :geno:

He wasn't even intended to be in the game Capcom put that in because people bitched. Why would they do even more work than they have to?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Really, was he not in at release?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Ada's campaign was originally single player only. The Agent was added in as a complete hack job later on because people complained about it not being co-op.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

That makes a lot more sense, then. It also explains why he doesn't have grappling hook animations and stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Ada's campaign was originally single player only. The Agent was added in as a complete hack job later on because people complained about it not being co-op.

And then they complained that he was a hack job and didn't get special animations or voices.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
So who else agrees that Resident Evil: Revelations is an above average-ish game (Jill and the Ship) trapped in a below average-ish game (everything else, excluding Raid Mode)?

Discuss.

(P.S. Still better than RE0.)

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

So who else agrees that Resident Evil: Revelations is an above average-ish game (Jill and the Ship) trapped in a below average-ish game (everything else, excluding Raid Mode)?

Discuss.

I think it's a promising return to form minus the particularly anime plot and I'm stoked as gently caress for Revelations 2 aka Code Veronica 2 starring Barry loving Burton

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ok for a second there I thought you included Raid mode in the below-average part... it is seriously a better shooter Diablo than Destiny is.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Everyone who posts in this thread needs to buy the re release of REmake. I believe if it sells well we will be one step closer to capcom making a completely original classic style RE game for PSN/xbox live.

not that y'all needed my encouragement or anything

Bulkiest Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 6, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Everyone who posts in this thread needs to buy the re release of REmake. I believe if it sells well we will be one step closer to capcom making a completely original classic style RE game for PSN/xbox live.

Probably not. The original games are very much a product of their period. What you'd be telling Capcom is that there's still a strong market for horror.

Geight posted:

It's probably a safe assumption, and by that point, you've read several volumes of James Marcus's diary, so there'd be a basis for Billy knowing what the "mother virus" is. He has no adequate way of knowing, however, what it looks like when someone experiments with it, or why these gnawed skeletons look sufficiently different as to suggest that they're test subjects.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Wanderer posted:

Probably not. The original games are very much a product of their period. What you'd be telling Capcom is that there's still a strong market for horror.

Not necessarily. The reason they re-released Revelations in HD after Resident Evil 6's reception was to gauge the interest in a more survival horror Resident Evil in the current market; following it with Remake HD and Revelations 2 strongly suggests they're continuing to dip their feet in those waters.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Discuss.

I would agree. The ship part is the best part because you actually have a inventory and it doesn't feel as on rails as the rest of it. I sometimes think they did a disservice by branching into so many different characters because their experiences are shallow as hell with the exception of a few missions.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

not that y'all needed my encouragement or anything

Im a bit hesitant to buy it because I have played it to death on Gamecube, and they couldn't be bothered to even add anything to make it interesting for me to come back. I mean I would have been fine if they simply allowed me to skip the door opening animations or adding a infinite ammo mode or something

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I would agree. The ship part is the best part because you actually have a inventory and it doesn't feel as on rails as the rest of it. I sometimes think they did a disservice by branching into so many different characters because their experiences are shallow as hell with the exception of a few missions.

The idea was pretty clearly to combine RE-classic and RE4+ style gameplay with one swapping to the other since they otherwise don't mesh very well. It's an interesting idea but kinda needed better writing than it got.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ImpAtom posted:

The idea was pretty clearly to combine RE-classic and RE4+ style gameplay with one swapping to the other since they otherwise don't mesh very well. It's an interesting idea but kinda needed better writing than it got.

True, but I felt that Jill's gameplay was RE4 enough already. I mean, not all of RE4 is similar to the village section

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TailsButtholeGuy posted:

Not necessarily. The reason they re-released Revelations in HD after Resident Evil 6's reception was to gauge the interest in a more survival horror Resident Evil in the current market; following it with Remake HD and Revelations 2 strongly suggests they're continuing to dip their feet in those waters.

Yeah, of course, but you're never going to see a fixed-camera, static-background game again unless a bunch of enterprising fans get together and make it themselves. Better technology exists now, and the only reason you saw anything in that mold after games moved off the original PlayStation was the sheer change resistance of the nerd market.

It'd be like a bunch of guys in 2015 sitting down and making a lazy-rear end hand-drawn cartoon show in the spirit of the original "Masters of the Universe." It's more work than you need to do and you're almost guaranteed a worse result.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, of course, but you're never going to see a fixed-camera, static-background game again unless a bunch of enterprising fans get together and make it themselves. Better technology exists now, and the only reason you saw anything in that mold after games moved off the original PlayStation was the sheer change resistance of the nerd market.

It'd be like a bunch of guys in 2015 sitting down and making a lazy-rear end hand-drawn cartoon show in the spirit of the original "Masters of the Universe." It's more work than you need to do and you're almost guaranteed a worse result.

Yeah, I'd agree that we'll never see a Resident Evil that plays like the older titles. It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine a Resi 2 remake down the line, but it's almost guaranteed to be redone over the shoulder style, not how Remake was done.

Still, that they're starting to wind back down to the survival horror elements of the series is a welcome development.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TailsButtholeGuy posted:

Still, that they're starting to wind back down to the survival horror elements of the series is a welcome development.

They never exactly left. The budgets just got bigger, so the games' scope expanded. A theoretical HD, over-the-shoulder remake of either RE2 or RE3 would not be thematically dissimilar to any of the post-RE4 games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Some new Rev2 enemies.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Wanderer posted:

They never exactly left. The budgets just got bigger, so the games' scope expanded. A theoretical HD, over-the-shoulder remake of either RE2 or RE3 would not be thematically dissimilar to any of the post-RE4 games.

I also think it makes sense for the action and scope to expand in the later games since it mirrors the theme of bioweapons leading to bioterror

But Resident Evil 5 and 6 weren't exactly atmospheric slow burns. Revelations at least somewhat hearkened back to that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TailsButtholeGuy posted:

But Resident Evil 5 and 6 weren't exactly atmospheric slow burns.

Neither were RE2 or RE3. RE2 starts with a hell-for-leather sprint through downtown Raccoon City while it's on fire, and RE3 begins with Jill literally diving out of an explosion. There are certainly a few tense spots throughout both games, but I think a lot of people bolt their nostalgia goggles on extra tight when it comes to the original-flavor RE.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Some renders of enemies in Rev2, distinctly lacking in complete global saturation. I'll admit that the revenant is a bit terrifying though.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Remake HD is up for preorder now. $20

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Wanderer posted:

Neither were RE2 or RE3. RE2 starts with a hell-for-leather sprint through downtown Raccoon City while it's on fire, and RE3 begins with Jill literally diving out of an explosion. There are certainly a few tense spots throughout both games, but I think a lot of people bolt their nostalgia goggles on extra tight when it comes to the original-flavor RE.

I'm not sure. You got things like moving through the ruined Racoon City in the older games, while something like 6 is waving constant action in your face pretty much all the time. Technically there are parts when you aren't fighting, but it didn't really do atmosphere all that well in the newer games.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Actually the spooky Disney Safari ride through China was maybe the best part of RE6, weirdly enough.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Anonymous Robot posted:

Actually the spooky Disney Safari ride through China was maybe the best part of RE6, weirdly enough.

Who's campaign is that? I've got a weird thing where I've played only half of re6.mostly because I can never get a coop partner with full attention for the entire game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Who's campaign is that? I've got a weird thing where I've played only half of re6.mostly because I can never get a coop partner with full attention for the entire game.

Chris' campaign. There's an on rails part where a guy drives you through a fog choked city and you just get to watch monsters in the distant mist and spooky tableus and it actually works pretty well by contrast to all the other vehicle segments in the game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Chris' campaign. There's an on rails part where a guy drives you through a fog choked city and you just get to watch monsters in the distant mist and spooky tableus and it actually works pretty well by contrast to all the other vehicle segments in the game.

That's in Leon's campaign, but it is cool.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

TailsButtholeGuy posted:

Remake HD is up for preorder now. $20

$15 at Green Man Gaming if you're a VIP. I don't know if it costs money to be a VIP or if I got a free month because I just signed up. All I know is I preordered for $15 and it says they'll send me a Steam key on the 20th or a few days before.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anonymous Robot posted:

Does anyone have screenshots of this? It sounds really cool but RE6 just didn't pull me in even though I enjoyed it to a point. I probably missed a lot of small interesting things like that.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wanderer posted:

I see what your saying, but then how do you explain all the pixel art indie games and 2D side scrolling throwbacks. I think it could totally work to make make an old school survival horror game in 2015, and also modernizing some of the elements that where held back by technology and archaic game design. I imagine something maybe with pre set camera angles for building atmosphere but also the ability to aim from over the shoulder. You are right that it will probably come from fans or the indie scene but I feel like re-exploring the survival horror genre from the 90s in a modern context is something that could be pretty cool.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Monday_ posted:

$15 at Green Man Gaming if you're a VIP. I don't know if it costs money to be a VIP or if I got a free month because I just signed up. All I know is I preordered for $15 and it says they'll send me a Steam key on the 20th or a few days before.

I think VIP is just a marketing gimmick to get people to sign up, I'm pretty sure it's open to all members. I just bought it too, so thanks for mentioning it

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hakkesshu posted:

I think VIP is just a marketing gimmick to get people to sign up, I'm pretty sure it's open to all members. I just bought it too, so thanks for mentioning it

25% off of Arkham Knight for Pre-ordering it sounds pretty awesome though.

Do they charge you in advance for pre-orders at GMG or only when the game is launched/code sent to you?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I see what your saying, but then how do you explain all the pixel art indie games and 2D side scrolling throwbacks.

They're cheap and easy to make with a small team in your spare time.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
e: Nevermind I'm an idiot

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
In re4, how strong is the knife? Basic handgun is 1.0,so is the knife something like 0.5-1.0?